May 2017 Moms
Options

Noelle's Birth Story (update #1)

MrsCPALeslieMrsCPALeslie member
edited May 2017 in May 2017 Moms
On Monday, May 22, I went to my weekly appointment at 39 weeks and 6 days. My doctor did the routine check to see if I was dilating any and she said I was measuring a fingertip but that I'm still not even at 1cm. So the plan was to move forward with the induction on May 29th which I was happy about. Immediately after my appointment, I told my husband that I felt really different compared to all the other times my cervix was checked. I even said jokingly what if my doctor secretly jumped started labor. Anyways, I continued to feel very weird monday night with some aches in my stomach. Not thinking much more about it, I went to bed. I woke up multiple times throughout the night using the bathroom frequently like I had been doing, but when I got up at around 5:30am to use the bathroom, I felt strong like period cramps and I just thought it was because of the appointment the day before. The period like cramps became more intense and I started to notice a pattern so I opened up my contractions timer. They were about 3-4 minutes apart and they were lasting about 30-40 seconds each time. Plus when I went to the bathroom the next time, I noticed spotting. I remembered someone in our group said her contractions felt like strong period cramps, so I decided to call the nurse at my OBs office to see if I should get checked out. She said go straight to labor and delivery. So as we were getting ready to leave, those period cramps were getting stronger and started to feel some tightening too. So then we started grabbing the hospital bag, diaper bag, and the car seat. We checked in to labor and delivery thinking we were going to be sent home, but to my surprise, the nurse said I was 3cm which was a shock because the day before, my other doctor basically said 0cm. So I was officially admitted to labor and delivery. They checked me again about 30 minutes later and I was at 4cm. The contractions were manageable for the most part, but some were really strong. So I got the epidural right away to be safe. To speed up the story, the rest of labor was very easy. It was so easy because of the epidural, I couldn't believe I was really in labor. The problem was that I stalled at 5cm for a while and then 6cm for a while and the on call doctor was ready to move me to a c-section but every time he was ready to make that call, I would make more progress. So I went from 6cm to 9cm and this is after doing a few techniques with the nurse. Then I stalled at 9 for a while. Then finally I was able to push which was the worst part of the process not because it was painful but so exhausting to do at 2:30am since I was up since 5:30am the previous day when it all started. The other problem was that although Noelle's head was down, her head was tilted a bit and it wasn't coming below the pelvic phone. So again doctor was talking about c-section. So his last resort was to try the vacuum device to guide her head down and it worked right away and then I had to push a few more good times and Noelle came right out at 5:02 am weighing 7lbs 6oz, 20 & 1/2 long but she had to go to NICU for oxygen and to watch her respiratory system. She's doing better now, but they will keep her in NICU for another day or until she is ready.

ADDED:
I forgot to mention that not only did I have an episotomy, I had a 3rd degree tear as well. The recovery is very painful by the way and I'm still dealing with the pain 6 days later. 
I told my husband this is our 1st and last kid because I don't know if I can go through the process again. At first he didn't agree, but after seeing me in pain and after struggling to get sleep, he finally came around and said 1 is fine. 

Re: Noelle's Birth Story (update #1)

• Options
    kns1988kns1988 member
    Congratulations! She has so much pretty hair! I'm glad you avoided the C section. 
    Me: 29, DH: 31
    Married: October 2014
    Began TTC: April 2015
    BFP #1: 9/18/15. EDD 5/18/16. MC 10/26/15. (9w)
    BFP #2: 2/27/16. EDD 11/7/16. MC/D&E 4/20/16 (11w)
    BFP #3: 9/22/16. EDD 5/29/17. DS born 4/24/17 <3
    BFP #4: 5/20/18. EDD 1/23/19. 

• Options
    rkstro2rkstro2 member
    edited May 2017
    Omg her hair!!! She is so beautiful momma!! I am so happy that she's doing better.  Hopefully she will be out of nicu soon and it will all be a memory :) 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    Congratulations! Welcome noelle  <3
  • Options
    Awwww that hair!  <3
  • Options
    Noelle is beautiful! I hope she can get out of the NICU soon. 
  • Options
    Congrats! Hope her NICU stay is short!
  • Options
    Congratulations! I'm glad you were able to avoid the c-section. She's so darn adorable!
  • Options
    mcvgalmcvgal member
    Congratulations, she is so beautiful. I hope her NICU stay is short.

11.2011 - DS1

02.2013 - loss at 6 wks

06.2014 - DS2

10.2015 - loss at 12 wks

03.2017 - DD

• Options
    slowmoslowmo member
    Pretty baby! Congratulations and well done on a long labor with no sleep. Hope Noelle is out of the NICU soon!
  • Options
    Congratulations!!! Love all of her hair! That's great you avoided a C section. Hope recovery is going well
  • Options
    Congratulations! She's so beautiful! Hope everyone is doing well!
  • Options
    Correction. The nurses informed me today that Noelle weighed 8lbs exactly and not 7lbs and 6oz like they initially thought. They are thinking the scale in delivery room was off some reason. 
  • Options
    SKZWSKZW member
    That's a huge difference! Good thing they caught it!
  • Options
    vrj0522vrj0522 member
    Congrats! She's beautiful!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    Me: 38 DH: 36
    Married 8/27/2011
    BFP #1 9/28/2011 DS born 5/22/2012
    BFP #2 4/24/2013 m/c 4/25/2013 at 4w
    BFP #3 1/31/2014 DD born 10/14/2014
    BFP #4 1/20/2016 m/c 2/12/2014 at 7w2d
    BFP #5 8/19/2016 DS2 born 4/29/2017
    BFP #6 3/7/2018 EDD 11/18/2018

• Options
    Congratulations!!! And omgggg that hair!! 
  • Options
    @MrsCPALeslie Congratulations! Your delivery sounds similar to mine. Glad you were able to deliver vaginally! Enjoy your new baby girl ! 
  • Options
    MollyandDMollyandD member
    edited May 2017
    Congratulations! How precious. <3
  • Options
    She is super pretty! Congrats momma!
  • Options
    I added more info at the bottom of my story.
  • Options
    Sorry about all the pain you're in. Do you have things to help get through it (tucks pads, dermoplast, etc)?
  • Options
    I'm so sorry about all the pain. I hope you find relief soon. If you do end up considering a second my anecdotal experience is the second is by far an easier recovery. 
    Pregnancy TickerDS1 8/15
    DS2 5/17
    #3 Due 9/20
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    @MrsCPALeslie I'm sorry your recovery is so awful. I too am getting frustrated by how crappy and limited I feel but know Noelle is here and healthy and you will eventually feel better. The end is in sight
  • Options
    Yes I do have some witch hazel wet wipes and some anal spray and I'm taking ipfrophen and some other pain meds. 
  • Options
    Sorry your having a rough recovery! Remember you're just at a week post partum and it's totally normal to be sore and still recovering. Stay on top of the ibuprofen if it's helping and I found that getting up and moving rather than sitting felt better. I'm almost 3wks out and only had a second degree tear, but it's definitely still sore (although getting better each day!) Hang in there! 
    Married 03.09.09
    Sweet Baby H 12.21.11
    Sassy Baby P 03.26.14
    Little Brother Due 05.22.17
  • Options
    I agree with PPs. I had a 2nd degree tear with my first and recovery was really rough. Pain medication, padsicles and other stuff and lots of rest was how I got through. I think i finally started to feel okay by week 3. Hang in there and you can decide later whether you want another or not after youre feeling better. FWIW, it seems like most STMs bounce back quicker somehow from what I've seen. I had a bigger kiddo this time but barely a first degree tear and only needed motrin for the first 3 days just because of cramping.

• Options
    @MrsCPALeslie I'm with you on the birth trauma making you question what you will do in the future.  I know at this point both DH and I are feeling that our traumatic birth may lead us down alternate paths should we choose to have more children (I.e. Adoption) but it's very early to decide.  I hope your pain has become more bearable if you take round the clock medications.  Keep us posted on how you're feeling.