November 2017 Moms

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• @MississippiCatfish I don't know the ages of your kids but my 11yr old is completely different at school than she is at home. I find from my own and friend's experiences that your spirited child might act like a little angel in school because the environment is so different. Might not always be the case. My 2 yr old is crazy and wild so hopefully she is the same way as DD1. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Furmommy said:
    I don't like avocados or guacamole... I can eat guacamole, but it's mostly chip... 

I'm stuck in the box but...THIS. I dont get the poiny of avocados.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @am+mommy Based on their behavior at church, in the gym childcare, etc that is the case so far.  Hope that continues:) 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I used to not like LV bags but then I got one and I love it! I don't like the Goyard bags much though. I hope to get another LV at some point but I want a Celine or Chanel first. 

My UO if you travel less than once a week you are not a frequent flyer and need to be in different security lines than weekly travelers. The ineptitude of the people they allow into the pre-check lines is maddening. 
  • Yes, @lancomechica2! I used to fly all the time for work and I cannot with people who don't know the protocol. If you walk up to the conveyer and baskets with your shoes tied, your belt on, everything still in your carry on, or stuff in your pockets, you will be getting a death glare from me. It actually makes me more mad in the standard traveler line (where I am now, sadly) because there is so, so much time spent waiting in line and you could have gotten everything ready to go then!
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• bcashawbcashaw member
    @DuchessOfCambridge how many things did you write down you are prepared? 
    I think they give kids way too much homework. I honestly try my best but I can't keep up with my 12 year Olds homework load and I know my other kids must be lying about how much they have because they never have any (also because they're both failing) behaviour wise all the teachers love them all... so idk what that says about my parenting. 
    I really am enjoying the heat but am go very tired of hearing my family complain about it. I'm done with it. Go in the basement and shut up. 
    Also confesaion: I have no clue what you guys are talking aboit when  you talk about temperature. And I'm too lazy to Google it. 
  • slavenslaven member
    @bcashaw I'm horrible with F to C conversions (and vice versa). F is my normal measurement but the only C conversion I know is 68F=22C because that's what our AC in our bedroom is set at for the night. I've been in Korea for 2 years and still don't know Imperial to Metric conversions except for my dog's weight (but that's not temp obv). 
    Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• @DuchessOfCambridge as a former teacher, I love this! Too many parents take away their children's learning by DOING homework for heir kids - there is a big difference between assisting, prompting, asking your child questions,"what do you think the next step is?" "Did you read the directions? What did they say?" And doing the project for them. I got so mad when parents would do that!!
  • @cmessamore @DuchessOfCambridge
    It hit around 116°F here over the summer with a few weeks averaging 104°F 
    Extreme UV ..

80°F is like 26C and really normal mild almost cardigan spring weather . 

Really glad this is a spring baby and the heaviest part of the pregnancy I won't be trying to escape the hot with extra insulation going and baby won't arrive in the middle of a mad max like apocalyptic heat  it will probably  be round 80°F here in November defiantly hitting 90+by the end of the month 

• @NYTino24 - as a teacher before I was a sahm, I totally agree with you!
  • @MississippiCatfish how old are your kids? I can't speak for nytino but school aged kids definitely know to behave in school, and they know how to be disrespectful. As a teacher, it's easy to tell which kids are like labs (friendly, loving, playful and high energy) and which kids are rude to others, disrespectful, defiant. Kids aren't perfect and all kids make mistakes, and it's natural for kids to be active. But there's a difference between being an active child and being rude and defiant. However, there are some exceptions. I had a student N whose parents and older brother were so helpful, respectful and a great family... he was just born worh a curmudgeon personality. 
  • @bcashaw haha I just wrote down my the ones in my first post, the others came to me as the day went on :lol:

@MississippiCatfish I don't know how old your kids are but I don't think anything of it when I see younger kids behaving a certain way. DHs cousins are super calm involved parents but their 4.5 yo is just sooooo hyper. His mom is actually in education and was so nervous about his behavior but it's just his personality. I think they are amazing parents. He's started growing out of it a little but I can imagine that'd be more difficult if you don't only have one child. They seem to feed off each other's energies!

• My UO- I am not a fan of reality tv. I used to be, but now it just bores me.
    Agree. I really don't get it. 
  • @MississippiCatfish We know that kids are kids and not mini adults and that they are somebody's baby. We don't expect them to be perfect and we know a lot about child development. I personally have certification in special education and was a psychology major, so I fully know not to judge a book by its cover. I've taught, coached, and worked in summer programs with thousands of kids at this point. I'm talking about kids being BAD. Like knowing right and wrong and not caring, like hurting others or trying to get away with reprehensible actions. We know parenting is hard whether we have kids at home or not. Parents have a few kids at home. Try having to keep 25 "in line" at once! We have to be tougher to survive or get anything accomplished. 
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @NYTino24  Just my own fears coming into play. I sure hope that when my kids are school age, they'll be as respectful and well-mannered as they should be! 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @cmessamore
    I'm pretty much on your page there. It isn't just them and even their kids they threaten it is the entire immuno network that is at risk when less than 85% of the population are safeguarded .
    I grew up in a family that was impacted ( mildly )by polio my aunt was 2 and has had life long impact from the childhood desease (pre vaccines in the 40s) she was one of the lucky ones really . Even just recently had surgery to realign her foot ..again . 

I pin it down to poor education on how biology and microbiology actually work and how the immune system functions and how these viruses work and adapt . 

So glad just recently here government benefits are conditional on vaccination  unless there's medical reason that exempts a child like allergy. If you want to receive government pay outs you have to prove vaccination . 
    Win 
    That of cause doesn't stop the trendy yuppies from thinking they are somehow more on it by not . But it deals with laziness or poor education at least

I'm pretty crunchy to be honest but I'm also pretty educated . And ultimately people don't think about things like whooping cough scarlet fever diptheria and polio. And they don't think about infant mortality as a commonplace occurrence like it was . That fever can kill a baby   they don't think of it because it isn't part of every day life anymore . Why?  .  Vaccines! 
  • @foxairt yes to all of that! DH works in a very trendy yuppie city on the outskirts of Boston and that, unfortunately, was exactly who he dealt with. 

Note: I definitely blame a lack of education, but I also blame Jenny McCarthy and the doctor that claimed vaccines caused autism. :unamused:
  • @cmessamore
    Unfortunately it's not an isolated epidemic . It's a growing issue in Europe and much the same here in Australia
  • @MississippiCatfish Even if they aren't, we try to figure out what's wrong first to help them. For most kids, it isn't a consistent thing. We
    all have rough patches and bad days!
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • @NYTino24 After I found out that wasn't the pigs name, I told DH that we're not telling anyone any names until after the baby is born. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • bcashawbcashaw member
    I don't understand why people think that not wanting their children to have autism is a valid reason to now vaccinate. Firstly , it's so stupid and that.was proven to be untrue. But Korea importantly who would rather a dead child over a special needs child? 
  • @foxaírt DD1 had scarlet fever. So scary! She was fine then all of a sudden I noticed she looked horrible and like she was overheating and her back was bright red. Her temp was over 104. Took weeks to get better and the medicine made her sick and wasn't working. It was awful. I'm not sure there's a vaccine for that though, at least there wasn't then. It's a form of strep. 
  • @foxairt my son had his highest fever AFTER a vaccination.  I think your opinions may change after having a child...not necessarily on vaccinations, but on why parents make the decisions they do.  I guarantee almost all parents worry and think about the diseases that can make their children sick.  That's part of being a good parent.  It can be tough sometimes to weigh the right and wrong answer.  Also, there is no vaccination for scarlet fever. 

I feel it important to add again that I'm not anti-vaccination.  I just understand the biology and microbiology of our immune systems and know that there are multiple things that can throw our bodies off balance.  Vaccinations are good, but there are those people that do have adverse reactions.  While it's not a reason to avoid them, it is something that every parent considers, even if they choose to vaccinate.  Everything carries risk.  That's life.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • mariposa_767smariposa_767s member
    edited May 2017

@cmessamore parents like that are frustrating. They think they know everything and then when something happens, they just want it fixed. Where's their Google education then? I hope the child feels better. The mom should've had Tylenol or Motrin...that's kind of a staple especially if it's the kid's 4th febrile seizure.

edited because TB is being a DB right now

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker