Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

TW, EP rant

I never thought this would happen to me, only 25 with one successful pregnancy but after a long weekend I learned that my newest pregnancy is ectopic. 
I had some red mucousy spotting (sorry TMI) on Sunday and thought nothing of it, I spotted with my first. It tapered down to brown spotting and I took this as a good sign but called my OB on Monday just to be safe and thank god I did, she asked me to come in for an ultrasound the next day. By my cycle I should have been 5 weeks and 4 days but there was no evidence of a sac in my uterus and I was told it's likely ectopic. I'm going for two blood draws this week and a second ultrasound Friday before they move forward with treatment because I'm not in any pain yet.
I feel like a walking time bomb, and I have a rambunctious toddler to run after all day. I am full of so many emotions, I'm so grateful this was noticed early, I'm in shock that this happened to me, I'm scared treatment won't work, that my future fertility will be affected, I'm gutted we'll have to wait to try again, I just want this over with already so I can move on but I can tell this process will be a long one. 
For those who've gone through an EP before what was recovery like for you? Did you have another EP? 

Re: TW, EP rant

• 40momma40momma member
    I am sorry you are here. I did not have an EP bit I did lose my first (and only) pregnancy and know the struggles of miscarriage. It's not easy but try to take time for yourself, try not to focus on the what ifs and the what nexts. Take each day at a time right now and know that you are not alone. I've found it very helpful to talk to friends that have been through this and to reach out on this board as everyone has been incredible supportive. Hugs to you
  • I'm so sorry you are going through this.  I didn't have an EP. I've had two losses most recent in April. Everything @40momma said is true.  Take it easy on yourself.  This is so difficult 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thanks ladies, this is so so hard. I've been reading  through some the threads on this board and I've got to say you are all just so strong. 
  • Sorry for your loss hon.

I was diagnosed with a cornual ectopic at 7w5d on 1/25. Baby was growing perfectly, had a heartbeat, everything... 3 millimeters in the wrong direction. On 1/26 I had surgery where they did an ultrasound guided methotrextrate shot directly to the gestational sac (heartbeat stops instantly), plus intramuscular methotrexate. They kept me overnight in case of uterine rupture, then sent me home to pass it if I could (it was wedged in the cornua right by where the tube connects). I spotted for a week, then had psuedolabor from 2pm on a Wednesday until 11am on a Friday when I passed a piece of decidual cast (common with ectopics). I stayed on percocets and Ativan that whole period of time. More period type bleeding but no debilitating cramps anymore, until a week later I had another session of less intense cramps and passing a cast lasting about a day. The entire time I was getting weekly beta hcg draws, falling 50-85% a week. When I got to 4, they scheduled an ultrasound a week later. Still had retained products... there was blood flow to them. So 9 weeks after the first procedure, I had a D&C on 3/28. I only got cleared to try again the first week of May. All the women who got pregnant at the same time as me in December have already had anatomy scans and announced the sex of the baby. So... yes, it's a process. The longest physical recovery of my 4 losses.

You should be much better off I'd think. 3 months (usually, depends on doc) of avoiding due to the methotrextate, no visible tissue they'll need to remove surgically, but be prepared for the psuedolabor and passing decidual cast. It's the one thing I was totally not prepared for.
  • I had an ectopic and had 6 shots of methotrexate.  The initial 2 shots weren't enough.  I didn't get a period until 4 months later.  My next pregnancy found it's way to the right spot.  I'm surprised that they are making you wait until Friday for a repeat ultrasound.  Is there anyway they can get you in sooner?  The earlier you intervene with methotrexate the more successful you will be. Good luck.
  • I ended up getting my labs back and my levels dropped by almost half in two days so my OB thinks I'm passing it on my own. I started bleeding Friday too, I may be able to avoid MTX all together. I'll be going for regular bloodwork and if my levels rise again I'll be going to be going in for the shot but I'm hoping for the best. 
  • @acunamatada, I am sorry for your loss! I exp a MC last week. First pregnancy, not sure what was happening. Went to ER. Diagnosed and now just making sure hcg level goes back down. It feels like one of the most isolating experiences. Take very good care of yourself!
    Me: 39 <3  DP: 49
    TTC since Jan 2017
    BFP #2 7/11/17 | EDD 3/24/18
    BFP #1 5/2/17 | EDD 1/12/18 | MC 5/18/17

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Thank you @ishmoney, you're right MC is an incredibly isolating experience in so many ways. Take care of yourself, I hope you recover quickly!
  • acunamatadaacunamatada member
    edited June 2017
    So I had a totally bizarre and scary ending to my EP. Most of my doctors thought I was m/c naturally, my levels went from 400, 100, 75, 55. Monday afternoon I had severe cramping and pressure but I assumed I was just miscarrying and would pass tissue. It felt a lot like labor pains. I took some ibuprofen which didn't help much and fell asleep.
    I woke up to go to the bathroom and nearly passed out walking back to my bed. My fiancé called 911 and I was barely responsive. The doctors at the ER actually thought I was just having a severe miscarriage even though I was barely bleeding, they didn't take my pain seriously until my shoulder started to hurt. My hcg at this point was 50!
    This whole ordeal was the worst pain I've ever experienced, and I gave birth unmedicated with my son. I could barely breathe when they laid me down for an ultrasound. 
    Eventually I was taken for the lap surgery and as it turns out my tube didn't burst but the fetal tissue had come out of the tube into my body which caused over a liter of bleeding. 
    I'm recovering fine now, I still can't believe that this happened even though my levels were so low. 

ETA: grammar/content. Still on the good drugs  :D

• I'm so sorry that sounds awful.  I'm glad you are recovering fine now.   I hope that continues for you
  • Holy crap!! I'm glad your ok.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have the WORST luck. Saturday, 11 days post op I had pretty bad cramping that started focusing on my bad side, then bleeding, so I called my doc. She suggested my levels may be down to zero and I may have ovulation pains but sent me for a beta test anyways. 
    Fast forward to today, at my 2 week post op visit I get my results back and they're still at 22!! So after all of this I had to get MTX today. My doctor says we can still try in two cycles and that the shot won't extend our timeline at all but it's still really disappointing. 
  • Oh no, @acunamatada!  What in the world??  How are you doing?  (Wish I had come back to the boards sooner.)
    TTC since Jan 2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @ishmoney I'm doing as well as I can be! Thankfully the MTX treatment has been pretty uneventful (barring one scary crampy night I thought I might have ruptured again). I cannot wait for my levels to get down to zero so that fear of rupturing again goes away. I need to start exercising again and feel normal! 
    I'm going for my day 4 draw today, I'm expecting the levels to go up slightly but I would LOVE a significant decrease, thankfully they are so low to begin with. 
  • @acunamatada, I am glad you are okay!  I need to get to exercising. Feel free to message me whenever you like!  (The app does not give notifications about replies.)
    TTC since Jan 2017

Pregnancy Ticker