November 2017 Moms
Options

Cooking Club - Week of May 15

I wanted to start this yesterday but forgot. Pregnancy brain is big on me this time.

The rules are as follows:
Each week -one person will share a idea or recipe - e.g., steak marinated in Chimichuri with a side of veggies or something like that. People can also link actual recipe links from the internet. All those who want to participate, will attempt to make the dish at home and get to share the pic or story. You are encouraged to modify or enhance the dish and share your tips e.g., how to cook the chicken soft or what extra spice to add to give it a kick etc. The dish can be a appetizer, desert or main course. Anything goes. The idea is you try to cook something new, ideally healthy that we all benefit form just learning and having fun.
First one to volunteer gets the pick of the week. The first one to make the weeks dish gets to pick the dish for the next week and will start the thread. I hope this is not too complicated. Lets see if this kicks off. 

So does anyone have a recipe to share that everyone could try??

Re: Cooking Club - Week of May 15

• Options
    bcashawbcashaw member
    I love this idea! 
  • Options
    If no one has an recipe by tonight, I will send one out...
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    This is awesome! I'll admit, mine might not be very healthy! :lol:
  • Options
    This is awesome! I'll admit, mine might not be very healthy! :lol:
    ah pish posh..who cares. I just want to cook delicious stuff!
  • Options
    I feel like I'll always be too nervous that no one will like my recipe and thus, not like me!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @MississippiCatfish nonsense. I only internet know you and already like you.

• Options
    So on board for this! I love trying new recipes!
  • Options
    This could be fun. I love cooking! 
  • Options
    Yeah! This is awesome! I love this! 
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    Not sure if it is still cold enough for soup over there, but I've been really wanting to try this recipe (never made before). I love Mexican food, but it might not be up everyone's alley. Crockpot Green Chicken Enchilada Soup... totally happy to try something else though, I just figured is suggest it since no one else has posted a recipe yet. I will not mind at all of we do something different! This is just an idea though! 

https://www.chelseasmessyapron.com/crockpot-green-chicken-chile-enchilada-soup-video/

• Options
    bcashawbcashaw member
    Full disclosure. I will likely never get around to trying any of your recipes. Just so you know but I will enjoy reading them and your reviews of them!
  • Options
    Ok @Perfectypo you are it! Guys the game is on. First person to try the recipe gets to pick the next round. Come on ladies!!! Let's do it!!
  • Options
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @Perfectypo That soup sounds like something I would love but DH won't eat beans so most likely I won't make this one any time soon.
    @MississippiCatfish Those look amazing! I made regular chocolate chip cookies last week. I cannot get enough of them! 
  • Options
    @am+mommy the 2 secret ingredients plus the chocolate chips/mini chocolate chip/M&M combo = perfection. I used to always make a choc chip cookie recipe that contains pudding, but there are equally soft <3
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    car1acar1a member
    I'm game! My DH is vegetarian but I'll just modify recipes as-needed or skip some. This recipe looks awesome and is already high on protein from the beans without chix so it's really veg-friendly. I've been really into soup lately, and we have a friend staying with us (I'm used to cooking for 2 only) that I might try to make this tonight!
    ~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~
  • Options
    Ooo, I'll be making the soup on Friday when the weather cools down. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Just had a major cold front move through last night!! I will probably make this tomorrow, I am loving soup these days!
  • Options
    Ok my grocery store does not have the enchilada sauce. Any ideas on what to substitute with. I'll have to wait till weekend to go to a different store. 
  • Options
    I'm in - this looks delish! I won't be making until this weekend though (we do Blue Apron so already have like 4 dinners to cook from that). @ShePersisted - maybe use Salsa Verde, if you can find that.  
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    In! Looks yummy. I'm attempting to teach myself better meal planning habits (as in, start meal planning habits) and this cooking group sounds like a good way to start. 

I have food allergies (dairy/gluten), so I'll make the recipes and post the adaptations I used to make the recipe safe for me to eat. 
  • Options
    I might try the soup this weekend! I am not a cook, so crock pot meals that don't require pre-cooking are a win in my book. Also, we are a vegetarian household, so finding veggie crock pot meals is hard. This looks super easy to edit and make and I'm excited!
     Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Options
    This is a great idea! Unfortunately, it's too hot in Miami for soup but it sound delicious anyways. Good luck cooking it ladies 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @ShePersisted I second what @MissMonroe11 said. Salsa verde should do the trick, it pretty much has most of the same ingredients.
  • Options
    @car1la that looks amazing, I am making it Friday provided I can get the Salsa Verde
  • Options
    I made this yesterday and it was a big hit with the family! The 1 yr old even ate 2 bowls. It was super spicy for me, but I'm a wimp. I used half the chili powder and left out all the meat ingredients. I did add the salt, but I used low sodium veggie broth, so I think it evened out alright. We ate it with cheese, sour cream, and Fritos and it worked out really well. We might add this to our regular rotation.

• Options
    I made this but didn't manage to get a photo... We ate it before I had a chance. Next week I'll get a photo, I promise! I loved it, and so did DH who usually hated beans. Lovely and mildly spicy (but I didn't have chilli powder so didn't add it) the lime juice and cream cheese were what made the dish amazing, in my opinion. i added salt, but it barely needed any and usually I over salt all of my meals (not healthy, but I love salt). I grated smoked havarti over top, but pepper jack would have been perfect. It makes so much, I got three dinners out of it and froze what is probably another two dinners. I am just cooking for two though. This recipe will be staying in my meal plan rotation.
  • Options
    Sounds amazing ladies! I could not make it as I did not have the time to get the ingredients. It's on my list st of things though. 

@car1la you made it first so you get to pick the next dish for this week.  You can start a new thread. 
  • Options
    @MississippiCatfish I just tried the recipe for the cookies you posted, and OMG they are so good! So chewy!

• Options
    @perfectypo they look AMAZING
  • Options
    I made this yesterday and it was so yummy and easy.  I followed the recipe exactly and even used the four toppings she suggested (pepper jack, sour cream, cilantro and lime squeeze).  We all had seconds and still have quite a bit of leftovers.  It was spicy and flavorful, but not hot spicy.  Will definitely make again.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    You ladies convinced me to try it regardless of the 88 degree weather down here. Your comments and pictures made this preggo crave it lol. 
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers