July 2017 Moms
Options

UO Thursday

Share your most unpopular opinions

Re: UO Thursday

• Options
    Not sure how to word it, however my SO and I have decided not to broadcast our pregnancy all over social media and have expected everyone else to keep it off as well as per our choice. For some reason some think this seems to mean we're ashamed of it? No, we just want to enjoy it with those close to us and avoid the drama from idiots 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    julybaby17-2julybaby17-2 member
    edited May 2017
    Re Facebok; I didn't want anything posted online, but I was outed the other week. Oh well. I still won't post much about my pregamcy, as I discuss baby with anyone who really cares, but I'm so far along that I didn't care quite as much. I wish she would've asked though. 

The posting about ice cream is most likely just for attention. I'll text my hubby silly things like that, but the entire world doesn't need to know. 

My UO is that I hate people with bad table manners or who eat really loudly. Close your mouth. It's gross. Wait until your done eating before talking. And please!!!! Don't talk on the phone while you're eating. I also hate commercials and shows where people eat. The sex noises people make on commercials for food are not cute. I change the channel.
  • Options
    Re Facebok; I didn't want anything posted online, but I was outed the other week. Oh well. I still won't post much about my pregamcy, as I discuss baby with anyone who really cares, but I'm so far along that I didn't care quite as much. I wish she would've asked though. 

The posting about ice cream is most likely just for attention. I'll text my hubby silly things like that, but the entire world doesn't need to know. 
    This. Although its not my thing, I am totally on-board with pregnancy announcements, shower pictures, even just general updates about the pregnancy and baby on social media. I enjoy reading these posts and seeing my friends experience this wonderful time.  BUT I get annoyed at the stupid posts that are obviously just for attention. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    We're not announcing the name on FB but our close family and a few select friends know the name we chose but we don't want peoples opinions. We did the same thing with DS and I had a "friend" post on FB and say "can I buy this for Mia" this friend is the girlfriend of one of my husbands best friends so clearly that best friend told her. So upset. 
  • Options
    lph4248lph4248 member
    People who can't park in the lines deserve to be shamed and called out. 
    (This UO brought to you by my experience Tuesday.)
    I really hope this isn't an UO. My ex used to carry sheets of paper in his car that said, "You park like an asshole," and he'd leave it on the windshields of truly egregious parking offenders, like people who take up two spaces in a crowded lot. It was extremely satisfying. I actually recently wrote one of those myself and left it on this car's windshield because they parked so close to me that I had to get in my car from the passenger side. Omg I'm making myself angry just thinking about the times that I drive in to work and can't find a parking space big enough for my tiny, eco-sized car because some idiots are over the line. (And I'm not talking about the people who are over the line because someone way down the line from them started the trend. I'm talking about people who are over the line and have an excess of space on the other side.)

How oblivious/selfish do you have to be for this to happen? Even if I'm in a rush, I check that I've left enough space on either side so that people can actually get in and out of their cars comfortably. If you don't, you're asking for dents/scratches and rage, but it's also just a common courtesy!
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    I have a fb friend who won't post the name of their new baby on social media "because of identity theft." Wut. Shut up.
    I mean.... What?.... There's just so much wrong with that. 
    I will say, I think it's really important to have your security settings so that strangers can't see the things you post. And I did encourage my parents and in-laws to do that after DS was born and they started using FB more. But that's the extent of me trying to control what anyone else does on the internet. 
  • Options
    I don't think cloth diapers look cute on babies. If I thought I could manage the routine, I would CD for the environmental benefits, but I'm not a fan of all the different patterns and then leaving your baby pantsless to show them off. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    I think amber teething necklaces look ridiculous on babies.  Maybe they work, maybe they don't, whatever- you do you, but I'm secretly thinking that your kid looks like he belongs in a 90's boy band.
    Hah, I had to look it up, they look a little dangerous though! 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish I know several people who won't post their child's name. Instead, they just use the first letter. I've never quite understood that. If someone really wanted to know your child's name, they could just read the comments and figure it out. I have friends who have accounts for their child and still won't post their first name. If you really are concerned with privacy that much, don't use social media period. 
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    I don't think cloth diapers look cute on babies. If I thought I could manage the routine, I would CD for the environmental benefits, but I'm not a fan of all the different patterns and then leaving your baby pantsless to show them off. 
    We are CDing and all my covers are plain and I will always put my kids in - at least - a onsie.  UO, people that let their babies hang out in diapers all day (ie not even a onsie) are lazy.  Dress your kids, just like you'd dress yourself.  
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• Options
    lph4248lph4248 member
    @OperaSingerMommy I had to look up amber teething necklaces too... and apparently they are not safe due to the strangulation risk and the possibility of the baby gnawing off a bead (true for any necklace). I'll stick with chewing toys!
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    We are CDing and all my covers are plain and I will always put my kids in - at least - a onsie.  UO, people that let their babies hang out in diapers all day (ie not even a onsie) are lazy.  Dress your kids, just like you'd dress yourself.  
    I think my baby will maybe not wear much clothes for the first few months - so this could be me. Diaper only for the summer months when she's tiny sounds perfect to me. Of course I will put clothes on when people come over (family included) Bc that just feels weird. But when it's just me and DH and it's hot af, I see no reason why just a diaper won't suffice (possible blowouts notwithstanding). Also I AM lazy so probably a factor.
  • Options
    @GlitterFish I know several people who won't post their child's name. Instead, they just use the first letter. I've never quite understood that. If someone really wanted to know your child's name, they could just read the comments and figure it out. I have friends who have accounts for their child and still won't post their first name. If you really are concerned with privacy that much, don't use social media period. 
    They call him "The Hobbit"! And also have a really common last name!

I haven't figured it out from comments yet, but I'm only friends with the dad...
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    I think general oversharing on FB is annoying. My own sister is a huge culprit of stupid status updates and it takes everything in me to not comment with "No one cares". We don't care that today you are so busy on your phone that you have had to charge your phone twice already. Just shut up. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options
    I think amber teething necklaces look ridiculous on babies.  Maybe they work, maybe they don't, whatever- you do you, but I'm secretly thinking that your kid looks like he belongs in a 90's boy band.
    Current boy band situation  :D

Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy DD currently looks like she's a hippy...in a boy band. I know it's a pseudo science and I totally get that there is absolutely zero scientific proof of it working but since we put that thing on her, her drooling is next to nothing and she has all 4 molars coming in. I forgot to put it on after her bath one day recently and was hit by a drool tsunami. I'm too scared to take it off now... FTR I never put it on her as an infant I was too scared. Just went through drool soaked bib after drool soaked bib..
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @OperaSingerMommy I am bumping during my study hall, and I almost peed myself trying not to laugh so much that it disturbs the kids.  I'm crying right now.  Totally agree.
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited May 2017
    @star_beagle On our local FB group, people frequently get their cars posted and relentlessly shamed for bad parking jobs or parking where there aren't even lines lol! So there is plenty of that going on here ... :)

@reneefavron See this is where I differ.  I used FB so much differently!  I don't add everyone I ever knew on my FB, I'm quite "private" (ha! no such thing on the internet but that's another topic...) with mine.  I think I have about 114 "friends" with 75% of those people being family.  The others are close friends (now or at some point in my life)  I'm very particular about who I add and therefore share a lot more than I normally would.  All of DH's family doesn't live here and a lot of mine don't either so it's a great way for us all to keep in touch and see what's going on in each other's lives.  So for that reason, I'm quite the broadcaster.  I try not to post stupid mundane crap though because no one wants to hear what I ate for dinner lol!   

Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    Yeah my relationship with my dad's side is almost non existent and he has issues with his mom's side. They aren't happy unless they're causing problems (his mom and sister have already said they're going to want a paternity test even though we both know with 100% certainty there's no one else is could be). So it's just easier to keep it off to not give them a platform to start anything
  • Options
    I have heard that amber is supposed to calm the baby. I have also heard that it has to be heated to something like 400 degree in order to have any calming effect. I know at least one mom that wears one herself because she thinks it helps her daughter when she wears it. Like you said, you do you, but I think I will pass.
  • Options
    @reneefavron Ahhhh gotcha!  Totally see your point there 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    I hate it when people use expecting parking spaces when they don't need them - I'm 31 weeks and I'm still leaving them for someone who can't walk the distance from the normal parks.  A colleague told me she used them as soon as she found out she was pregnant and I think that's just lazy and inconsiderate. 
  • Options
    @ljd2010 - Is that term used often? I feel like I've only heard it like once or twice ever.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ljd2010ljd2010 member
    @notachanski I see it a lot in my facebook newsfeed, usually as a hashtag (ugh) and occasionally on a custom glittery t shirt (double ugh)
  • Options
    nellin-2 said:
    I hate it when people use expecting parking spaces when they don't need them - I'm 31 weeks and I'm still leaving them for someone who can't walk the distance from the normal parks.  A colleague told me she used them as soon as she found out she was pregnant and I think that's just lazy and inconsiderate. 
    Do we work together?? 
  • Options
    ljd2010 said:
    @notachanski I see it a lot in my facebook newsfeed, usually as a hashtag (ugh) and occasionally on a custom glittery t shirt (double ugh)
    Oh those are both awful uses of a silly term. I agree.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    XathXath member
    AdaByron said:
    I do!  

Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options

Guilty of letting my kid hang out at home in nothing but a diaper A LOT. I don't object to being called lazy. I am. Oh well. 

I cant do it much anymore and have to get at least a onesie on her because she's in this weird scratching up her back phase when it's exposed. 
    BFP May 2013 - MMC at 8 weeks
    BFP September 2013 - MMC at 12 weeks
    BFP February 2014 - early loss/CP at 4.5 weeks
    BFP May 2014 - MMC/ complete molar pregnancy at 11 weeks
    BFP December 2015 - DD born 8/18/2015
    BFP November 2016 - pending...

• Options
    @SquirttheTurtle We are cloth diapering, although I'm just buying all plain colors. Going out in public I would definitely have LO dressed (at least that's my plan, FTM) but at home? I don't always wear pants myself, and I can totally see me just having in him in a diaper, especially in the beginning so we can get in lots of skin to skin. But if I'm not wearing pants, does it count as dressing him like I dress myself? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • Options
    DcwtadaDcwtada member
    My toddler is in a stripping phase. I am lucky if he keeps his diaper on. Everytime I leave the room he takes it all off. Zippers, snaps, buttons - he has them all mastered. I was doing dishes last week and we had the outside door open and the screen door closed and locked but you can see in from the outside. When I got back to the living room he was in all his glory standing in front of the door yelling and waving at everyone that walked by. 

When we go out I do try to have him in pants...
  • Options
    Ha! When home, my kids tend to RIP their clothes off and run around in unders or naked (4 and 2.5), and IDGAF. Am I lazy? Yes! It's not like they're naked in public, so whatevs. 

As for in-laws posting photos of my kid on FB, that's a hard no. My SMIL would take photos I posted of me and DS, crop ME out and then post on her FB with a comment along the lines of "have so much fun with him" - as if she was present when the picture was taken! She did this 3 or 4 times and finally DH told her and FIL that they needed to ask/show us what photo they wanted to post and we would ok it (or not). 

SO happy he stepped up, recently she wanted to post one of DD naked on the toilet because she was "so proud of her". Um, I'm proud too, but NO. 
    married 7.18.12   DS1 4.29.13   EDD 11.23.14

my happy boy