July 2017 Moms

LO's Coming Home from the Hospital Outfit

13»

Re: LO's Coming Home from the Hospital Outfit

• Love seeing everyone's coming home outfits!  FTM here...what does baby wear while still in the hospital?  Should I bring something or just take what the hospital offers?
    Either way. I liked dressing him in the hospital, and I'll do the same again. The thing they put him in was pink and looked like a straight jacket.
  • I only brought an outfit to bring DD home in. Other than that she was naked and skin to skin or swaddled in the hospital blankets. Will prob do the same for this one, with the only things I'm bringing for baby is a going home outfit and a pacifier. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Loading the player...
  • Love seeing everyone's coming home outfits!  FTM here...what does baby wear while still in the hospital?  Should I bring something or just take what the hospital offers?
    DS was in a diaper and a swaddle the entire hospital stay! 
  • So... realistically, how often do you have to change their clothes as soon as they are born? Do they spit up etc or does that happen later on 
  • nktrodden826nktrodden826 member
    edited June 2017
    We were changing his diaper the second the line turned blue because you need to make sure output is where it should be. It would have been a huge pain to have him clothed the first week or so for me because you're constantly looking to see if they've peed to write it down! I can't remember exactly - I'd say maybe 2 dirty diapers per feeding?

oh! Ha sorry @BusyZee I see you said clothes not diapers. 
  • Our hospital provides all new babies with a halo
    sleep sack to keep and white long sleeved onesies. That's all dd wore until it was time to go home. 
  • My first son (born in August) stayed in the hospital shirts (side snaps. My husband called them Kirk shirts, like when Captain Kirk got too pudgy for the regular Star Trek shirts haha), diaper, and a swaddle the whole time. The only outfit I brought was a going home outfit. Oh, and my hospital has a photography company who does mewborn pictures, so I brought a blanket I made to wrap him in for the pictures. 
  • BusyZee said:
    So... realistically, how often do you have to change their clothes as soon as they are born? Do they spit up etc or does that happen later on 
    I don't remember clothes getting dirty and NEEDING to be changed the first few days. In the beginning they eat so little, I don't think spit up or blow outs are likely. But I also think my DS always spit up less than the average baby, so maybe this would be different for others. 
  • My kid spit and pooped all over everything...but not in the very very beginning. We definitely made it home before all that started. (We kept a fitted sheet on the couch the first 6 weeks, which was key.)
  • DS spit up and pooped all over everything starting at about a week old. Every poopy diaper change was also an outfit change. But he was a happy spitter so not all babes spit up like mine did. 
  • @maybeitsmadeline I want those pants for me!

@BusyZee it really depends on your baby, with my daughter I did not have to change her nearly as much because she never spit up and rarely had blow outs. With my son everybody was changing outfits because not only did he spit up, but he did it with quantity and quality. 
  • BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited June 2017
    @Dcwtada like very early on..? 

I'm more concerned about the first 48 hours, sounds like they don't do much those first two days ..
     I don't want to over pack especially if they are relatively less poopy and pukey. I had kept three coming home outfits, asides from that I kept a swaddle and three bibs and three plain gowns three muslin cloths and one blanket.. now I think that's too much. 

Edited to Add:
    i know the hospital provides a onesie but I want to put on something semi cute and comfy on baby when his grandparents see him at hospital too! But I might take out the two extra sleeper gowns if the first 24 hours are uneventful. A swaddle, bib and blanket sounds fine to meet his grandparents, right?
  • I can't remember exactly but I don't think the first two days that are just colostrum that they'll be pukey considering their tummys are the size of a cherry you'll probably be fine with what you have. Naked was easiest for us but it really depends on how much energy you have. 
  • @BusyZee - I'm sure all kids are different but the first poops are usually tar-like and won't make a mess.  Neither of my kids spit up much the first week or so like the others said. It was after the hospital that you started changing outfits 57 times a day.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thankyou everyone!  <3
  • @BusyZee he was spitting up the first week. But my daughter never did. It is a tough call, bibs did not do enough for us so we went through a bunch of onesies. If you can, I'd wait to see how your baby responds and then get more if you need. 
  • @dcwtada I have very few clothes, I only have three bibs for now (going to get more) 10 muslin cloths and like 7 sleepers that I assume would fit the baby for now. I'm more concerned about what to take to the hospital.
  • I feel like every baby I have ever visited in the hospital has just been in a diaper and the hospital blanket. I assume it just makes it easier for changing, medical tests/procedures, skin-to-skin, etc. I am sure I will take a few onesies and bows just because they are so small and don't take up much room. But I definitely don't think they are necessary. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • rae1-3 said:
    I feel like every baby I have ever visited in the hospital has just been in a diaper and the hospital blanket. I assume it just makes it easier for changing, medical tests/procedures, skin-to-skin, etc. I am sure I will take a few onesies and bows just because they are so small and don't take up much room. But I definitely don't think they are necessary. 
    Basically, I did have a onsie on DS and changed him the day we went home. With DD I was so exhausted from laboring and my emergency c-section I didn't have the energy or want to change her clothes. 
  • DS spit up on two outfits right before we left the hospital and the trend continued at home.  

In the hospital he stayed in a diaper and swaddled with no clothes.  It was super easy for diaper changes, skin to skin etc so we will do the same with this one.  
  • @BusyZee DS rarely spit or even drooled. I had a few bibs as gifts but I hardly used them! Of course you may wind up needing a bunch-- but I think 3 is plenty until you know what you're up against :) 
  • @BusyZee During our hospital stay I had my LO's all just in diapers and the swaddle blanket from the hospital. Mostly because it was easier to do skin to skin each time I nursed them or when I needed to change their diapers. Just made it easier. There's so much you will be worrying about. You will be keeping track of when to take pain meds on time, feeding schedule, changing diapers and working on getting baby to latch (if you're nursing) there's also trying to get baby to burp after each feeding too. I brought maybe 2 outfits for going home, some socks and mits. No need to over analyze how much you'll need while at the hospital. Keep it simple.