Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

IF/Weekly Check In 5/8

Re: IF/Weekly Check In 5/8

• Options
    @TravelingCouple ugh sorry for AF. Have the best time on your trip!!
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    @TravelingCouple I'm glad you'll be able to enjoy your trip without wondering. But I'm still so dang sorry that AF showed up.  <3
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @leekat14 I have long LPs too, which is great for us, but I so feel you on the WFAF for what seems like forever and the longer LPs really tease you into thinking every month is the magic month (assuming you've tested already--and if not, go pee right this second!!)

@Aurora1973 I'm so sorry this has been such a rough week for you so far  <3

@TravelingCouple Well, that definitely sucks. Hopefully you will still feel able really dig into the vacation and not have to second guess all the things you may want to partake in there. 
  • Options
    @vflux33 I've been peeing on all the things! Mostly because I need reassurance that I didn't waste all of my money by ordering IVF meds too soon because THAT would keep me up at night.
  • Options
    Welp. Testing problem solved. Period showed. It's ok, now it'll be gone before we leave and I don't have to worry about drinking & crazy excursions while there.
    Hugs.  Now go enjoy a fabulous vacation.  YOU DESERVE IT!!!!
  • Options
    *lurking*

@Aurora1973 girl, you have all the right to feel your feels. Take them as they come and try and deal with them as best you can when you're ready.  <3

@TravelingCouple really sorry to see AF showed. However, now you can do whatever you please in Hawaii! Live it up, friend! I sure as hell did when DB and I were there a few weeks ago. Maybe a relaxing, drunken, exploration of Hawaii is just what you need for that rainbow baby. Wishing you a wonderful trip!!
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018

• Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    kiki75 said:
    I feel like half the time the treatment plan is a lot the same even without the details. The DX just lets me feel like I have some control and something to research and fuss over. Maybe just tell yourself it's "unexplained" (aka loosely explained) and carry on. 
    Exactly. If there was no such thing as "unexplained" or if the treatment plan varied a lot, then I'd fight it more or switch and shlep down to the city. Maybe my RE is ahead of the game and one day some of the people with "unexplained" will be people with vague ovulation disorders. She is a MD/PhD so it is possible she knows of some research that I was unable to find. Who knows. In my drafted email back to her I am mentioning my confusion over the term "pituitary pause" and I might word it more forcefully and ask for research etc. but for now I'm going to sleep on it.
  • Options
    @vflux33 My doc had similar statements related to my endometriosis.  He didn't feel there was any reason to go through yet another surgery because it wouldn't change anything for IVF.  My Obgyn was totally Endo happy and talks about a surgery everytime I go in!
  • Options
    edited May 2017
    @TravelingCouple I HIGHLY recommend going to Monkeypod for dinner or lunch. Best mai tai I've ever had and I dream about lobster mushroom pizza! Pint and cork also had a really great happy hour. Both are in Wailea. 
    Me: 31 DH: 32
    Dating since: 11/17/2001
    Married: 9/26/2009
    TTC: June 2016
    BFP: 9/01/2017
    EDD: 5/14/2018

• Options
    safire3safire3 member
    @Aurora1973 Big hugs to you. I know it is so hard hearing those things. We just have to keep hoping and praying that we can defeat the odds. 

@TravelingCouple sorry for AF but have an awesome time in Hawaii! My H and I are going on vacation as well in 2 weeks and I can't wait!

@vflux33 Never heard those rules applied to PCOS, maybe ladies on here with PCOS can give you some input on that. You are right that if it doesn't change the treatment plan then there is no reason to obsess over it. That was very hard for me to accept in the beginning as well when they weren't even sure what my DH's issue was but everyone kept saying that our only option is IVF. Like how can you be sure if you don't even know what the underlying problem is? But now I realize the aim is to achieve pregnancy, not necessarily to figure everything out. 

@kiki75 Yes my belongings were returned to my bf the next day lol. That's how I heard the story. 
  • Options
    kiki75kiki75 member
    Can anyone tell me about the basic timeline for an IUI with injectables cycle? We're supposed to be going on vacation next week so I'm trying to figure out some type of plan.

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    @jmr1515 Sorry about your dx. Hugs. Wishing you patience and distraction while you wait for the surgery.

@vflux33 You definitely do not suck; you are awesome! PCOS is confusing. There are different diagnostic criteria for PCOS so I think interpretations can depend on what diagnostic criteria the medical professional is using. Here's a nice summary of the different sets of dx criteria: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2909929/table/T1/. The NIH does require the oligo-ovulation criteria your RE mentioned, though other research I did showed that anovulation shown through BW (even when periods seem somewhat normal) can take the place of oligo-ovulation. And as you can see, you don't need the string of pearls on the US to be diagnosed with PCOS either if you meet the other criteria. Any way, it does seem your treatment would be the same either way, so the RE's response wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me either. And it looks like your RE's rationale falls under the NIH's diagnostic criteria. If you want piece of mind, I might just request a testosterone test from her, saying you're worried about the hair and acne.

@safire3 Holy cow! That is flippin awesome!

@leekat14 WTF? You have to be going BSC!

@Aurora1973 Hugs. That's rough stuff. Don't feel bad about not being Ms. Rosy Sunshine; I'm sure hearing the odds was really hard.
  • Options
    @vflux33 my post above should be edited. Oligo-ovulation is technically about ovulation not periods so I think it's less than 8 time ovulating a year though you may have more periods than that. Obviously, not a medical professional here, but thought I'd share what i stumbled upon. 
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @leekat14 It's good to hear yours said that too (since apparently my RE says so many things others don't). If I have endo, I think I had it worse about 5-7 years ago than now (if that's possible) because I have bad AF pain now, but back then it was so much worse--I no longer vomit and get hot flashes from AF pain and back then I did almost every time, which I probably should have gotten checked out, but I was dealing with other stuff at the time both psychologically and professionally, so IF/pregnancy wasn't on my radar. She also mentioned in the email that pain during sex (which I don't have) is more indicative of endo than AF pain. If that's the case, then she's right that it's less likely to be an explanation for me. 

@safire3 Yeah, I hadn't heard that before either, which is why I repeated her exact words here. I'm definitely curious to see if there are PCOS ladies who do not fit in that box. I guess this might be one of those things that doctors argue about at conferences and that mine might be in the minority with her diagnostic criteria in the sense that it's more restrictive than others'. But, yeah, since the PCOS ladies here are all doing the same IUIs and IVFs as everyone else, it doesn't seem worth it to pursue this further or subject myself to all the additional driving etc. and further interrupt my and MH's lives. I have to just try and trust her for now. I also hear a lot of folks generally feel like a number at their RE's office and I don't feel like that with her at all. Her staff is more responsive than the staff of any doctor I've had, the RE responds to emails personally within a few days, tops, and it's not crowded or "cold," etc. I don't like how she is proceeding with this diagnosis stuff, but there is a lot to like at the office and I'm going to try to focus on that so I don't spiral into a fear/anxiety hole and talk myself into hating her when I'm not 100% sure she's wrong. 
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @madspunk Thank you so much! I'm really glad to see that my RE's criteria has a legit origin. I never actually had bloodwork to confirm an-O because I've only had it a couple times since I've been tracking--not a ton. (That said, my RE never said "let's do bloodwork to confirm that" so how would I have known.) Your link and explanation makes me feel a lot better about this whole thing. 
  • Options
    saralee797-2saralee797-2 member
    edited May 2017
    @kiki75 I don't know about the injectible portion but for a medicated IUI you go in between CD2-4 for a baseline us then you start the meds, come back at cd12 to see if you are ready to trigger if you are then you give yourself the trigger that night and come back two days later for the IUI (eg. trigger Friday night and come in Sunday morning for IUI). If you are not ready on cd12 they may ask you to come back two days later for another us to see if you are ready to trigger then. I suspect the injectible cycle is similar but you likely just take different meds instead of clomid CD4-8. Hope this helps!!
    @Aurora1973 Keep your head up girl! Wishing you the best. 
    @TravelingCouple sorry for AF but I seriously hope you have the best time away. Take me with you??
    @Anna_1021 Good luck for your IUI! Trust me, it isn't so bad but I am sure I was nervous too. I have my FX for you.
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @kiki75 Ha, "absolute bullshit pits" is sure right. I like your list especially the part where you didn't destroy anything...I have said to DH before "I didn't burn this entire [building/town/country] to the ground today so I guess that's a victory." Oh and fortunately they were just regular cotton underwear! My brother very politely pretended not to see them. 

As for injectables, the person I can remember who did injectables IUI was @mrsdaddario (hope you don't mind the tag friend!).

@Anna_1021 Sorry work is so crazy and you've been so stressed. I hope things get easier and of course I hope this cycle is it for you!

• Options
    So I did injectables for IUI as well... but I totally don't remember the exact schedule.  I did Femara 3-7 and then I did Gonal-F.... a few days after?  I think?  I think it was like CD 9 or something.  The ultrasound schedule was the same as with just Femara.
  • Options
    Question for those who have used Del Estrogen for an FET: Any side effects to worry about?
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    @leekat14 yayyyy!!! Come on over to IVF land!!
  • Options
    @leekat14 It's exciting you're getting started!! You actually get to do something you feel a tiny bit of control over! p.s. love that gif
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    vflux33 said:
    Had more back and forth emails withe the RE. Long story short, she said the pituitary thing is a "normal" variation and not a dx (wish she would have clarified that when we saw her in March, but whatever). Looks like I now belong to the "Unexplained" camp. Glad to have an answer, even if that answer is basically not an answer. So yay?
    Sorry you haven't been able to get any definitive answers.

I was diagnosed with PCOS, and don't meet all of the "criteria" that was previously mentioned, either.

I have not had an u/s done yet, so not sure if I have the string of pearls on my ovaries. My a/f is suuuuper unpredictable. I typically will go 3+ months without a period (according to my period tracker app, sometimes 100+ days), but there would be a random 24 days or whatnot thrown in there once a year or two.

My RE did do blood work on me, and I have higher AMH which is common in PCOS, although everything else they tested for seemed to be normal. I do have some hairy-ness, but that's pretty much my only physical symptom. 

I am by no means second-guessing or questioning anything your RE has told you - My point is pretty much that PCOS is a bitch, and although there are guidelines, there doesn't seem to be a one size fits all diagnosis. Seems like you already know that, though!

• Options
    kiki75kiki75 member
    laurad75 said:
    *snip*

Can I just say that calculating 600 iu of Gonal F takes all the math brain power that I have, plus some (which is getting less and less each day of stims)?  The pens are 900 iu but only dispense 450iu dosage at a time so night #1 I had to dial the dosage to 450, do an injection, roll the dosage another 150 and do another injection leaving 300 units in the pen.  The following night I have to do one injection with the 300 remaining units and then do a second injection with a new pen for 300 units.  The other day I sat in the kitchen with a calculator trying to figure out how many doses I have available to me and my head almost exploded. 

I swear, the stress makes me stupid and makes me doubt myself more than I ever normally would. I kept rereading the instructions. Okay. So they want me to use both vials. 150iu. This one's 75 and that one's 75, right? So I use both, right? WHY ARE THEY TRUSTING ME WITH THIS?!

I really don't think that they understand that we really need everything hella simplified. 

Me: 34 DH: 38
    Married: June 2011
    TTC since Feb 2016
    BFP#1: 7/7/16 MMC: 8/16/16 
    BFP#2: 5/8/17 - CP
    BFP#3: 6/27/17 EDD: 3/10/18
  • Options
    saralee797-2saralee797-2 member
    edited May 2017
    @kiki75 @laurad75 I'm considering a spreadsheet and I HATE spreadsheets! I also hate math. I'm over here like 

• Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @zwink1 Hope you enjoy your time off and GL at your new job!

@Hollyyyyy Thank you for sharing your situation. I'm going to move forward assuming that I am unexplained, knowing that different REs may have pushed additional testing or defined PCOS differently. I haven't gone a full 3 months w/out AF before (that I'm aware of)--I think if I had this RE would have done more testing. I'm a little embarrassed TBH that it took this much back and forth to even get here. The RE was extremely unclear in our appointment in that she never said "you have this, you don't have that", etc. You know, like, telling me my diagnosis would have been cool. MH was there and we chatted briefly today and he agrees she was totally unclear. Not ideal, but, I guess in the end it doesn't matter outcome-wise. 

I'm sorry about your dx. It definitely sounds like a bitch. I hope that the rest of your tests go OK! 
  • Options
    @LadyMillil woohooo!! Hope your shots go smoothly!