Trying to Get Pregnant
Options

IF/Weekly Check In 5/8

Re: IF/Weekly Check In 5/8

• Options
    @vflux33 There's not much I can do on mobile but I accidentally figured out how to change my picture!  Stupid mobile

@eggplantface YAY for FET!!!!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @adirat you know you always have friends here. I am sure things will become clear with time. Thinking of you <3

AFM halp! I had my first thigh injection tonight and it really hurts. Wondering if I did something wrong.  Tips please?!
    In your THIGH? Omg Im not cut out for this. I'm light-headed just thinking about jabbing something into my thigh.  I have weird issues with my thighs though....
  • Options
    @leekat14 I start lupron on Saturday!

@eggplantface yay for starting!!
  • Options
    @saralee797-2 So many injections in one day! Hats off to all you IVF warriors. Hopefully the injection hurt goes away soon.

@vflux33 I'm glad I'm not the only one that forgets I've already met people and reintroduces myself. It makes me feel like the biggest asshole too. About the testing - I don't think you're overthinking it. Sometimes doctors can be wrong. I was dx'ed with PCOS by an OB/GYN when I was TTC but before I got that dx, I had a different doctor and a different OB/GYN who both told me everything was fine and my periods were just wacky, despite some initial testing they did that hinted at PCOS. It wasn't until that 3rd OB/GYN that I got all the PCOS tests I needed and was dx'ed. She did all the typical PCOS tests based on my symptoms (acne, no periods, some hairiness). Your RE should know more than these drs I went to, but it doesn't hurt to ask for more testing, or to get a second opinion. Regarding FSH, seeing the ratio of LH to FSH can help in ruling out or confirming PCOS as well. These are the things that confirmed PCOS for me:  wacky LH:FSH ratio, high testosterone, high AMH, US, adult acne.

@shortstack930 I tried to skirt around the IF discussion with my boss by keeping it vague: "I have a medical condition that I might sometimes need to be out for", but she was really concerned and asked if I needed medical leave and how she could help, etc., so I ended up telling her about the IF dx. If she hadn't reacted so strongly, I would have kept it as the vague medical condition like you did. I don't particularly like that she knows I'm TTC. I'm glad you told him you might not be able to just pick up the extra shifts; it's hard sometimes to make sure you're getting what you need and not taking too much on.
  • Options
    adiratadirat member
    @vflux33 I second everything that @safire3 said. I think your diagnosis seems very plausible (caveat: not a doctor) but I do think it's strange you didn't have a full workup. You should ask her a little more. FWIW the PCOS "string of pearl" ovaries can be seen on ultrasound, so it's possible she ruled that out seeing your ultrasound, right? 

@loveindc Big hugs friend. 

• Options
    @jmr1515 I'm sorry you got such an overwhelming diagnosis! Is there a reason you have to wait so long for the surgery or is it just because of the doctor's schedule? I'm sorry you have to wait so long but it's good news that your doctor thinks you can conceive naturally after. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    @vflux33 no harm in staying with the doctor but just asking for clarity, especially if she's the only real RE in the area. I'm currently unexplained and my cycles are like clockwork, but we haven't seen the RE yet and I suspect we may get a MFI diagnosis so I don't know that I'm the best example. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• Options
    @vflux33 My cycles varied from 30-47 days. I had two long cycles since TTC which is what prompted me to call my OB and she referred me to the RE. I had another 39 day cycle even after taking levothyroxine for elevated TSH. I couldn't attribute any of those long cycles to stress either. I have high AMH/lots of follies but no cysts. My doc took all that into consideration and ended up with unexplained as the diagnosis. 

@eggplantface It is not supposed to be intramuscular but honestly I don't have a lot of fat on my thighs so maybe that is why it is painful? Maybe they should tell me to inject into my love handles instead lol
  • Options
    beary67beary67 member
    @eggplantface from what I've been told, icing will make it more difficult for the oil to absorb after injected.  If you don't inject slowly and if you don't massage after injecting and also apply heat, you will get lumps and it will get painful.  From my understanding, the cold from the ice just makes it more difficult for the oil, which is already pretty thick, to absorb and do it's job.  I've done heat beforehand and while it can sting, I would rather it sting a bit but know that I'm not going to have the pain later from the lumps, if that makes sense?  For sure ask your nurse, that's just the advice I've been given and I've been on PIO now for almost 2 months with little to no problems this cycle.  I am so excited to hear your procedure went well and you are on your way to transfer!!!   <3
    About me:
    TTC#1: October 2015
    dx: PCOS & MFI
    IUI #1 w/Femara + Ovidrel June 2016 ~ BFP
    July 2016: Blighted Ovum
    IUI #2 w/Femara + Ovidrel September 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #3 w/Femara + Ovidrel October 2016 ~BFN
    IUI #4 w/Femara + Ovidrel November 2016 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI January 2017 ~BFN
    FET February 2017 ~BFN
    IVF with ICSI March 2017 ~BFP--Twins Due 12/8/17
    Team Blue X 2!
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @shortstack930 Yeah, I think you're right. I'm drafting an email to her now. I'm going to see if anyone here says anything else and let it marinate in my head and then send it off this afternoon. 

@eggplantface Thank you. I'm going to pry a bit more and see how she answers. Depending on her answers I might seek a second opinion. I'm going to try not to though just because of the distance to other full time RE issue and this RE's stats. It would be a huge PITA to go to the other one if we end up with IVF and I'd be nervous about OBs doing the IUIs. I figure even if this RE isn't the "best" she is still better than someone who is not actually in the right specialty. And I can't make MH miss half a work day to drive down to the city to provide his sperm for the IUIs. I love where I live, but I do wish I had those big city options right now!

@saralee797-2 Thank you so much. That makes me feel A LOT better. What you're saying has me wondering if I really have unexplained, which this RE is putting another label on to help explain it to me. My cycles I thought ranged 29-45 days but I just had a 52 day one and right now on day 29 with no O in sight. I stress out a lot so I never know what I can attribute to stress and what is just my body being weird and sensitive to things other people's bodies wouldn't notice. 
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @heatherdubrow Thank you! I wasn't sure about that and that definitely makes me feel more justified pushing for further testing. 
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @jmr1515 I'm so sorry you're going to have another surgery. 

@safire3 That's great! Wow! It's so hard to remember sometimes that people not going through this just don't consider IF but are often cool about it if they do know.  
  • Options
    safire3safire3 member
    @vflux33 I was just reviewing the diagnostic criteria for PCOS. Not everyone accepts this criteria of course and different doctors do what they feel is best based on their experience but this is the most widely accepted criteria. You have to have 2/3 of the following:
    - hyperandrogenism (elevated 'male' hormaones)
    - ovulatory dysfunction (irregular cycles, anovulatory cycles)
    - polycystic or large ovaries. 

It it is also stil considered a diagnosis of exclusion which means that more common causes for the above should be ruled out first. Sine the diagnosis calls for 2 out of 3 that means you can have PCOS without polycystic ovaries. Also you can polycycstic ovaries without having the syndrome. 
  • Options
    vflux33vflux33 member
    @safire3 Well, that is very interesting. Thank you--that also makes me feel even more justified pushing. I have researched a bit myself but it never occurred to me that some REs might consider this without polycystic or large ovaries since that is actually in the name of the dx. I'm so glad I asked here. I know the treatment plan may not change even if this does turn out to be the case, but I'd still want to know because I know it changes your risk for other issues and it would answer a lot of questions I've always had even before TTC, such as the adult acne (which I didn't have as a teenager) and my freakishly low voice lol. 
  • Options
    jmr1515jmr1515 member
    Thanks for all the love ladies. Typical IF, just when you're starting to come to terms with things you get knocked back down.

@shortstack930 you have to wait for everything in Canada. At least where I live! A big part of it is that my doctor does a lot of surgeries (he's one of the best in the city) so his wait is long. Luckily he marked me as urgent since I've gotten the short end of the stick this last year.

@eggplantface it's nice knowing I'm not alone. The surgery sounds scary but it'll hopefully be worth it in the end. The doc did mention possibly needing IVF in the future just because of our overall "subfertility" but we're not at that point quite yet. You didn't have any complications following your surgery? Doctor made it sound like no big deal.

Me: 29 years old, DH: 31 years old
    TTC #1 since July 2015
    SA Feb 2016 & May 2016: Excellent count and motility, 3% morphology
    Surgery Dec 2016: submucosal fibroid removed
    Awaiting RE appointment

• Options
    @jmr1515 I had a laparatomy myomectomy (open abdominal surgery) so it was a lot more invasive than yours will be, hence the 6-week recovery time (and I'm still only about 90% of abdominal muscle control/strength). I had the open surgery because the fibroids were too big to remove laparoscopically. From what I've heard about the minimally invasive surgery it isn't a big deal, though! Do you know how big your fibroids are? My first surgeon tried to operate laparoscopically but converted it to open surgery when she saw them with the camera.

FWIW after my second myomectomy my periods went from super heavy and painful, lasting 2+ weeks, to moderate and only light cramps for a few hours, lasting about three days. The fibroids can definitely cause side effects you may not even know you had until they're gone, so you'll feel so much better!
    Me: late 30s | H: early 30s
    TTC #1 since April 2015
    RE Dx: Fibroids, surgery Jan 2016
    IUI #1 and #2, Nov/Dec 2016, BFN
    IVF March 2017: ER - 5R/3M/3F, 1 PGS normal
    Polyp removed May 2017
    FET May 2017 - BFP!
    Baby boy born 2/2/18

• Options
    Dear body, we are now 17 DPO.  This is ridiculous.  Bring on AF. WTF.

That is all.
  • Options
    @Aurora1973 I'm so sorry love. Big hugs
  • Options
    @heatherdubrow Thanks honey.  I appreciate it :)

@TravelingCouple I'm sorry for AF...it always sucks.  But yay for a worry-free Hawaiian vacation!!! Seriously, have an amazing time!!! 
    Me: 45 OH: 42
    Beloved SS: born 12/2011
    TTC my bio #1/our #2 since January 2016
    **TW** June 2016 had CP **end TW**
    August 2016 - dx with DOR
    Somewhere in here received recommendation to do IVF with donor eggs, elected not to; OH dx with Low T
    May 2017 - began freezing sperm
    June 2017 - OH began treatment for Low T
    July 2017 - began doing 1 IUI via a midwife and 1 at home insemination each cycle
    http://www.fertilityfriend.com/home/6259ba
    July 2018 - exhausted frozen sperm, officially NTNP since OH is probably shooting blanks

• Options
    @TravelingCouple Stupid AF.  I'm sorry that she showed.  But I do hope you have the best time ever drinking and having all the fun in Hawaii.  Maybe jump off some waterfalls?