November 2017 Moms

FFFC Cinco de Mayo edition

Re: FFFC Cinco de Mayo edition

• BayCamp said:
    @ArtificialRed that's a good way to put it. Some kids will totally adapt and like their personal sleep space. It was apparent DS was not that kid. We gave it a shot and it didn't work for us. The toddler I have watched since he was 3mo has always been able to be placed in a crib with a paci and that's it, he's out. Maybe 3 minutes of fussing/crying but he's good after that. It's crazy how different they are. 
    Yeah and it's super fun to see the differences show up in families. A family at DS's school has three children and the middle child is so much like DS. He's sandwiched by two much more independent children. I definitely didn't realize going into motherhood just how strong of a personality babies and toddlers have. DS as a baby was so much more attached than my nephew or any baby I babysat. And he was a very strong-willed and extroverted toddler (and now preschooler) and that absolutely shocked me because he is SO SO different than I was as a child. I loathed upsetting my mom and teachers and he clearly gets a thrill out of it, the stinker  :D

• Loading the player...
  • I refuse to switch to a "safe" sunscreen and it's an aerosol one with all the stuff you shouldn't have and IDGAF. I like it, it works, and my risk benefit scenario is that skin cancer and other conditions like rosacea are prominent in my family and I don't want dark marks from being pregnant in the summer. 
    I did switch away from aerosols, but otherwise yeah, I totally get you. I switched back to banana boat last year after trying the natural sunscreens for a few years and it was AWESOME. They are so much easier to use. I agree that it's way better to wear chemical sunscreens than making excuses to skip using the natural sunscreens like I would try to do before. 

• I don't do aerosol sunscreen. I always miss a spot. I'll just rub on the lotion. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Love Alba's aerosol sunscreen. No shame here. We use that for bodies and ThinkBaby for our faces. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• RE vaccines and daycare: But what about the parents who aren't vaccinated and their babies are too young and then their babies give my baby something? I know, I'm psycho. FTM pass. But seriously I love vaccines. I plan on asking the daycare we're on a waiting list for what their policies are.

• @ElizabethSchuyler I always miss spots with lotion, or it won't rub in and that shit is N E V E R sweat proof and I sweat it off and get horribly burned. 
    Me: 32 Husbando: 49
    Married Since: 7/29/2012
    omgosh 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @Tourmalily Okay. As long as you're wearing sunscreen.

• Both my kids were vaccinated as per the doctor recommendations. DD1 is 11 and was offered the gaurdasil shot at her last doctor visit. I declined knowing she has plenty of time to get it and I wanted to speak to DH first. 
  • I am pro vaccination. Modern medicine has save my children too many times for me to turn away. Do I still think for myself and weigh risks and benefits, yes. But, I have a doctor who I TRUST and although we share the same views on most topics, I know she will tell me straight about things. I decided not to give my 12 yo the gardasil vac until she is a bit older. I am not decided on exactly when, but I did want her to menstruate first. I know I may not always know if she is sexually active, but I do know that right now and there is no scientific evidence that in our demographic the is a benefit to giving it at 12 rather than at say 15-16. With that said, this does not effect the health of others so it is a little different... 

My confession is that I am going to soak in our jetted-tub this evening until the water goes cold. And, I might even run a second bath after that!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers

Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
  • I have nothing against CIO, but I know it would not have worked on DS.  He is 5 and still remembers when he was almost 3 and his dad locked him in his room by himself while he was throwing a tantrum.  Maybe I'm more of an attachment parent, but I always helped him through his emotions.  But he's an emotional child and needed that.  At almost 6, though, he's been through divorce, abandonment issues, and fitting into a blended family and has excelled at all of it.  It'll be interesting to see how this one turns out.  SO's two kids are very different.

DS1 is 7.  DD is 1.  DS2 is coming in late April.

Lilypie Maternity tickers Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Wow. So late to all of this. Pro vax here. CIO is fine with me (I did sort of a modified version with DD). 

@DuchessOfCambridge Okay, I agree that Nick is the worst. However. I was super irritated by the way people reacted to the last couple episodes of his season. The producers made it look as though Raven was an angel sent from heaven and Vanessa was a spoiled brat. I like Vanessa but I do think she has her own character issues that weren't shown on the show, so I kind of think she and Nick are right for each other. Plus, yes it would be dumb if Nick really just said he would not move to Canada, but we literally saw like 2 minutes of a conversation that was probably held over a matter of hours. I would hate if someone judged my relationship with DH off the worst 2 minutes of a difficult conversation. 

Anyway thats probably more words than the Bachelor deserves, haha. I just feel like some people forget how much it's a show, the producers cut out hours and hours of footage and show us only what they want us to see. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited May 2017
    I think delaying gardasil is way different than delaying airborne diseases and completely valid. I grew up in a very religious household and hold many of the principles I was taught dear, abstinence being one of them. Did I still get gardasil in high school? Yes. Vaccines are good, I agree delayed schedules are often unnecessary, but delaying gardasil is totally fine especially if your child is only 11.

ETA: @emucoleman oh I don't doubt at all that they had more convos about it,  you don't just go from "I don't know if this will work because we're from two different countries" to "WE'RE GETTING MARRIED!!!". I'm just taking it at face value that Vanessa left her job, family and awesome benefits to be with Nick while he's on another reality show. I also didn't like Nick in general. Yeah they showed us what they wanted us to see but all that stuff with Corinne? He's gross. Andplusalso I didn't think Vanessa looked like a brat at all. She looked like a woman trying to figure out if this move in her life was a smart decision and was asking questions that all normal couples have when thinking about forever. She was being so mature whereas I felt Raven was very laaaaa deee daaaa I'm in love!!! Again, taken with a grain of salt because producers but those are my feelings. I'm sure Raven is lovely as well.

Wow that was long. Way too long for Bachelor lol.

• @ugoglencoco I am a huge proponent of CIO!! Some kids are naturally good sleepers and don't need to cio. Others, like mine, kept waking up every three hours like clockwork. Cio worked really fast and well, and now he's an amazing sleeper. At almost two, he sleeps 12 hours at night, never wakes up in the middle of the night, and consistently takes 2-3 hour naps! Looove it! And he's a happy boy because he sleeps so well!
  • 100% pro-vax. I worked at a vet clinic until my first was born, and I totally judged people who didn't vaccinate their pets at all/on time, so obviously I feel the same about humans. Except for the flu shot. That one is iffy for me, because every year I get the shot I also get the flu. 

Sleep training saved my life. We started out cosleeping but my daughter decided she wasn't about that around 3-4 months. She wanted her own space. My one regret is using a stupid blackout curtain in her room, because now she only wants to sleep if it's super dark, which makes traveling a nightmare. I'm anxious to see how things go with this one. 
  • My FFFC: I kind of wish my husband (who I LOVE and have a good relationship with) and I had separate beds. I guess my daughter gets her need for space from me :D
  • @DuchessOfCambridge I kind of wanted Corinne to win. I felt like they deserved each other. 
  • edited May 2017
    @ooodalollly I think you're probably aware, but you cannot get the flu from the flu shot, it's inactive. If you're getting the flu, you were either exposed before you got the shot or you are getting a different strain. The flu is ever mutating which is very annoying, but (in my own personal opinion) not a good reason to not get the yearly flu shot that is designed to protect against the most common strains. I've been getting the flu shot every year since I can remember and have never gotten the flu. I can't even remember the last time I had a fever.

And AGREED on Corinne! They totally deserved each other.

• @DuchessOfCambridge Yeah, I know it's not from the shot itself, and I'll definitely get one this year for the baby's sake. But overall I'm just not passionate about that particular shot. 
  • am+mommyam+mommy member
    edited May 2017
    All this talk about the Bachelor is getting me excited for the Bachelorette!  For the record, I never liked Nick and Corrine was the best part of that season! 
  • Asivec said:
    I'm smugly thinking of all my family voting for trump because he's gonna make healthcare better as he screws them all for being over 50 but not 65 yet. And preexisting conditions, they've got them all (or at least a lot)! 

Flame away! 
    I feel the same about my mother. There goes your ability to afford decent healthcare, mom. Bet you're glad you voted for this guy. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Today we were having a garage sale and I wanted to slap a number of women who complained that I only have girl clothes and no boys. Well miss as you can see I have a girl not a boy. People were just being beyond stupid and rude today. 
  • liz4382liz4382 member
    I am pro vaxx. Question for those who delayed/will delay Gardisil--why?  I don't know if I'm missing something but I just feel like you don't have to really be specific with your child about the details of the vaccine they are getting.  Just tell them it protects from a certain type of cancer and leave it at that. i don't see the harm in getting it at 11, and you know they will be protected for the future. 

I think undergrads deserve to walk. They worked hard for 4 years for that degree. It's not just given to them. 

I only watch Dwts and not the Bachelor but I actually think Nick is funny and likeable!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @BayCamp  I will have my baby at the hospital with a midwife or doctor, same with my last 2 but I think you should have YOUR baby where YOU want and where YOU are comfortable. Screw what anyone else thinks. How do these people think babies used to be born? 
  • AsivecAsivec member
    @Baycamp I'm in awe of people who are brave strong women who choose home birth. My grandmother in law had 9 of her 11 "at home". I would have loved to birth in the comfort of my home but it's not really something that gets done in my area. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • BayCampBayCamp member
    am+mommy said:
    @BayCamp  I will have my baby at the hospital with a midwife or doctor, same with my last 2 but I think you should have YOUR baby where YOU want and where YOU are comfortable. Screw what anyone else thinks. How do these people think babies used to be born? 
    Exactly! I trust my midwives, they are very honest about their transfer rates and will not hesitate to make the call if needed. They come equipped with safety equipment, pitocin in case of hemorrhage, oxygen, ways to monitor the baby, etc. It's not like I'm in a field somewhere just winging it. 
  • BayCampBayCamp member
    @Asivec my first was at a birth center (same MW group I'm using this time) but essentially it was a 1 bedroom apartment so it was like home birth in someone else's house lol. It was hard but amazing, I was home 4 hours after he was born. It's not for everyone, but after having a 9lb 4oz baby without even a single stitch I feel way more confident in my body this go round. Having him that way helped a lot with my PPD after he was born. I'd tell myself "you climbed your own Everest, you can get through this" 

I used to tell people it was like running a marathon. It hurts, it sucks, in the middle of it you wonder why in the hell you are doing it, but at the end you can always know that you did it, and you did it for no one else but yourself. 
  • @NYTino24  Where did I state that it was easy for me?

I think in today's world a lot of undergrads ARE practically handed a diploma. I worked for our local university as a departmental receptionist and I had so many parents call me all the time asking why their precious bundle wasn't getting A's. Maybe because they are out spending their parents money on booze, not attending lecture, and just not doing the work? A lot of the students I ran into on a daily basis were privileged, spoiled little twits who did just enough to barely pass their classes and get a degree. THEY are the ones who do not deserve to be made much of just for getting it. In no way do I believe that every student is that way. Sincere congratulations to you for working hard and overcoming so much, I have nothing but respect for the students that worked and tried and succeeded. However, in my personal experience, it isn't the undergrads that worked hard, it has been the graduate students.

• @baycamp have you ever heard Jim Gaffifans bit on home birth? I bet anyone who has had/is planning on home birth would think Its hilarious! He and his wife have had at least a few of their kids at home. 

I wanted to come back to say that I was thinking about what I wrote about anti vaxx this morning, and it was unnecessarily harsh. I was having a terrible morning and word vomited my thoughts. I'm sorry for anyone I offended. I do believe that's it is the wrong decision, but I ALSO believe that it's motivated more by a fear of doing something to harm your own children than lack of compassion for others. I don't think anti-vaxxers intend to make a poor choice, obviously. I just believe it's very misguided. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @MississippiCatfish FWIW, I think your comments were fine.  <3

• edited May 2017
    @ElizabethSchuyler Thank you  <3 it's been a rough week in the Catfish household. Ive been on a warpath today, and now I'm trying to make ammends where needed   :#
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker