3rd Trimester

Castor oil and pineapple juice

mruth87mruth87 member
edited April 2017 in 3rd Trimester
okay so this second pregnancy has been crazy for me. I'm currently 36 weeks +4 days and as of my 35 week appointment, I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead. My daughter's whole body is the size of a 38 week baby and she was already almost 7 lbs. my cervix is still high but already thinning out and as of last week I was open and about a 1 cm dialated. I'm doing weekly NSTs and Biophysical ultrasounds because of her size. However they have already told me they could not induce me until 39 weeks because the hospital here will not let them. Even if I am high risk. I really do not want to be induced and do not want a c-section. I am currently taking 1000 mg of EPO orally a day, I'm eating as much raw pineapple as I can stand, and trying to walk as much as I can. I keep having contractions but they are infrequent. I'm wondering has anyone tried to mix 2 tbs of Castor Oil with pineapple juice? I'm not here to be judged. It also does not cross the placenta barrier because it is just a laxative. I just want to kickstart this labor!

Re: Castor oil and pineapple juice

• mruth87 said:
    okay so this second pregnancy has been crazy for me. I'm currently 36 weeks +4 days and as of my 35 week appointment, I'm measuring 3 weeks ahead. My daughter's whole body is the size of a 38 week baby and she was already almost 7 lbs. my cervix is still high but already thinning out and as of last week I was open and about a 1 cm dialated. I'm doing weekly NSTs and Biophysical ultrasounds because of her size. However they have already told me they could not induce me until 39 weeks because the hospital here will not let them. Even if I am high risk. I really do not want to be induced and do not want a c-section. I am currently taking 1000 mg of EPO orally a day, I'm eating as much raw pineapple as I can stand, and trying to walk as much as I can. I keep having contractions but they are infrequent. I'm wondering has anyone tried to mix 2 tbs of Castor Oil with pineapple juice? I'm not here to be judged. It also does not cross the placenta barrier because it is just a laxative. I just want to kickstart this labor!
    You are only 36 weeks. You have 4 more weeks until you are due - Labor and Baby will come when ready, unless there is medical need.  Measurements can be off +/- 2lbs.  I was told baby was going to be over 9.5 lbs.....she was 8lbs10oz.  There is a reason they will not induce yet!

If you want to have the sh*ts and deal with that then castor oil will be your friend, but heard that if you go into labor it's a nasty mess On top of what you are dealing with (taking the word of a friend who found this out the hard way).  

Stop eating pineapple if it's burning your stomach. It's not worth it.  Unfortunately, patience and time are youe friends right now. 
  • Castor oil may also give the baby the shits, fyi.  There are many complications that can arise if the baby is surrounded by its muconium prior to birth.  So I'd avoid it.

Size scans are notoriously inaccurate late in pregnancy so I wouldn't worry about it.  And I highly doubt your hospital forbids inductions prior to 39 weeks if there is actual medical need.  Your situation is not a medical need.  Settle in, baby will come when it is ready.
  • Loading the player...
  • Stop being fearful of a bigger baby. Our bodies are designed to birth our babies. Lungs are the last organ to develop in a baby. Lung maturity allows certain substances to be released by baby, and it signals your body to start labor. You're still weeks away from your due date, which you could easily surpass by 2 MORE weeks, and still be in the normal range.

Don't drink castor oil, because it could have a dangerous laxative effect, possibly dehydrating you, (not to mention, terrible diarrhea) and causing meconium to be released by your baby, which could cause fetal distress, and then you're more likely to end up with a cesarean. Pineapple has a high glycemic index, which probably isn't a good thing to be eating in large quantities. By the way, you'd have to eat about 20 pineapples in order to stimulate labor, and that isn't possible.

Let your baby come when it is ready. You have the right to refuse induction, and if they're wanting to induce labor because they think baby is too big, I'd definitely tell them no. I was advised to be induced with my son, and I told them no. He came out weighing almost 10 lbs, and I got through it with no interventions, and I didn't even tear. Our bodies are amazingly efficient, if we allow them to do what they need to do. 
  • Wait until your baby is ready. Castor oil is bad for both of you, and you are nowhere near your due date. The end of pregnancy is hard and uncomfortable, but baby will decide when she is ready to come out. 
  • Omg i tried castor oil. It worked when i was 42 weeks with my daughter.i tried it yesterday 37weeks. At 36 weeks my baby is 6 pounds 12 ounces. Shes gaining weekly. Also i gained 7 pounds in 1 week. I was told i couldnt be induced to 39weeks also. Fudge a roo's..so im dilated to a 2 gosh the waiting game.
  • mombodmombod member
    Your baby is not full term until 39 weeks. If your dr wont induce you, why would you be trying to induce yourself?!