Baby Names
Options

Boy name shortlist

edited April 2017 in Baby Names
DS is like Cyrus. We are Team Green and debating this shortlist. DH and I both love all three names. MN would be Mark, but maybe not for Ari.

Julian is the only family name. We love the nn Jude, but it's the German word for "Jew" which feels kind of weird. (We are Jewish Americans living in Germany.)

I love Isaac but am not crazy about Ike. DH loves Ike. 

Boy name shortlist 75 votes

Julian (nn Jude)
42% 32 votes
Ari
22% 17 votes
Isaac (nn Ike)
34% 26 votes

Re: Boy name shortlist

• Options
    I like the name Julian a lot.  The nn Jude is ice too but I can see how that would feel odd if you live in Germany.  Buts it's not like he has to use that nn if it doesn't feel right and especially if you might not live there forever, it's not enough reason to pass up a great name!
  • Options
    My vote is for Julian.  If you think the nn Jude would be weird, then don't use it.  Frankly, in my opinion, Jude isn't a nn for Julian anyway. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love Julian especially with Cyrus. Such great names. I don't love Jude as a nn and if you are hesitant even lIke it less. Honestly with Julian I wouldn't use a nn. Ari is my second choice. I like the nn ike but don't love Isaac

• Options
    another Julian vote, but without the nn Jude. 
  • Options
    I think Jules is a super great nickname for Julian.
  • Options
    Love ari! 
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!

A very close family friend has a son Julian nn Jules, which is why we are avoiding that if possible (and we are nickname people, so Julian would likely be shortened). I think realistically, even though I objectively like Julian the best, it's probably too problematic for our personal situation to use. 
  • Options
    Thanks, ladies!

A very close family friend has a son Julian nn Jules, which is why we are avoiding that if possible (and we are nickname people, so Julian would likely be shortened). I think realistically, even though I objectively like Julian the best, it's probably too problematic for our personal situation to use. 
    What about Julian without a nickname? Everyone wondered what we were going to call our daughter since she has such a long name, but 95% of the time we call her by her full name, Savannah.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • Options
    I voted for Ari.

Have you considered Avidan with the NN Avi? It seems kinda of a combo of Julian and Ari.
    Married 9-4-04

***PM me for my IF history***

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickersLilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Fifth Birthday tickers
  • Options
    @queenbone I've never heard of Avidan. Interesting, thanks
  • Options
    I personally love Julian, but I can see where Jude would be weird in your situation. If you like Isaac and want a nickname besides Ike, I have a nephew with that name who goes by Zac. 
  • Options
    Love Isaac! Suggesting: Abraham nn Bram, Ezra
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    I like the full names you have chosen but I don't like the nicknames. I would just call them by their full name

Me: 31    DH: 36

Married since 11/25/2013

#1 (bio)  born 01/18/2006

#2 (bio)   born 09/08/2008

#3 (step) born 02/17/2009

#4 (our 1st together)  EDD 09/09/2017

Pregnancy Ticker