July 2017 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions

Got anything good?

Re: Unpopular Opinions

• Options
    @julybaby17-2 Mine is related to yours! Someone in my local mom group was asking for ideas for a college reveal party?! Ummm what? I'm pretty sure my parents just told anyone who asked. And maybe my high school graduation party invite had my college logo on it. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @julybaby17-2 @ljd2010 I think these types of things are ridiculous, and wouldn't do them myself, but my main issue is if they're asking for gifts or something. A graduation party, I understand (everyone I know around here has one when they graduate high school), but is that different than a "college reveal party"? This reminds me of the "grandma" showers someone mentioned last week. Pretty unnecessary, and I'm side-eyeing crazy hard if you're asking for gifts. 
  • Options
    A second UO. I hate flying! I don't hate the flying as much as a I hate all the crap that comes with it. I'm delayed and stuck on the airplane due to tech issues. I get that these things happen, but I'm sure these issues were there before they boarded the plane. I'm super uncomfortable and can't move. Why not just let us hang out in the airport? And, don't even get me started on TSA...
  • Options
    @julybaby17-2 - I'm going to use part of yours as my UO. TSA doesn't bother me at all. I will happily be strip searched if it means my family and I are safe during our flight. I know it's a nuisance, but search away!
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    @julybaby17-2 @ljd2010 I think these types of things are ridiculous, and wouldn't do them myself, but my main issue is if they're asking for gifts or something. A graduation party, I understand (everyone I know around here has one when they graduate high school), but is that different than a "college reveal party"? This reminds me of the "grandma" showers someone mentioned last week. Pretty unnecessary, and I'm side-eyeing crazy hard if you're asking for gifts. 
    Couldn't agree more @kat0607 people just want an excuse to get gifts for every damn thing! It's EXHAUSTING!!! Don't even get me started on 'prom proposals' GAG ME WITH A SPOON, I can't stand them, either. None of it makes sense. If you want to do a little AW photo shoot and post it online, be my guest but you are not a special snowflake and need a "college reveal party"?!?! So dumb. It's this need to constantly get "likes" and attention on social media. Luckily, I don't have Facebook so I don't get bombarded with a lot of them nonsense. Lol. 
  • Options
    A second UO. I hate flying! I don't hate the flying as much as a I hate all the crap that comes with it. I'm delayed and stuck on the airplane due to tech issues. I get that these things happen, but I'm sure these issues were there before they boarded the plane. I'm super uncomfortable and can't move. Why not just let us hang out in the airport? And, don't even get me started on TSA...
    Im fine with TSA and I'll always prefer flying to driving, but I agree with the stuck airplanes. Hate that! I remember being stuck on the tarmac for hours at JFK on JetBlue when the first similar pr disasters hit (this was maybe 10 years ago now) and so they did drink service etc, but that meant everyone was going to the bathroom. after hours on the tarmac, we take off but because of the continuous drink service, bathrooms filled up quickly and we had to make a stop in Chicago to empty. Ridiculous, I wish they just never boarded us. 
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    My UO is that I don't think wisdom teeth videos are funny at all. Mainly I just feel secondhand embarrassment for the drugged person and get so uncomfortable watching them. DH is getting his out tomorrow and MIL said she can't wait to film him...I honestly hope there's nothing to film and he's just really groggy, because I don't even want to watch it.
    I'll admit I've watched them and laughed but I personally wouldn't do that to anyone I love.  I was super embarrassed when I had mine out and would only let 1 friend see me, I was so swollen.  I was super groggy and no one would have got anything out of me anyways.  I remember waking up, being put in the van and then going into my bedroom when I got home.  Nothing else.  When DH got his out and he was all drugged up the dentist actually told me I could ask him anything and he wouldn't lie.  Okay, because I'm going to take advantage of my DH like that?!  *eye*roll*  Years later he had a stroke and when he came out of surgery he was drugged up and it was hilarious but the whole ordeal was scary enough that it didn't even cross my mind to videotape him.  We keep things he said as a family joke.  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    @julybaby17-2 oh TSA. I HATE it when they mess up my packing when I'm going from here. When I reach my destination that TSA note, along with all my packing topsy turvy drives me nuts. They NEVER check my suitcases when I'm coming back(isn't that when they should be the most concerned?) 
  • Options
    kat0607 said:
    My UO is that I don't think wisdom teeth videos are funny at all. Mainly I just feel secondhand embarrassment for the drugged person and get so uncomfortable watching them. DH is getting his out tomorrow and MIL said she can't wait to film him...I honestly hope there's nothing to film and he's just really groggy, because I don't even want to watch it.
    I work in a dental office, and when people mention (or threaten) to record, I tell them no phones. And I've had to tell people to turn it off, give me their phone, or leave. After they leave the office, they are on their own, but it drives me crazy that everyone thinks they can be a youtube star coming out of sedation. 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I can't STAND the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" phrase. No, it should be an equal partnership. My happiness does not trump my husband's. 

SIL and her H always said this (even had a bumper sticker on their truck)....and guess who jut separated after 10 years? Interesting, guess that mantra didn't work for y'all. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • Options
    I'm up early this morning so I'll get things started! I just saw a Facebook post of a friend of a friend who released balloons like a baby gender reveal, only it was to introduce their new puppy. I'm a crazy cat lady and love my fluffy friend, but seriously? I'm totally judging these people. 
    I judge this hardcore because i think of the turtles and sea life and other wildlife that could end up tangled up in discarded balloons! 
    My parents live on the coast and at least once every couple weeks have to fish out balloons that got stuck in their protected wetlands creek or on the rocky beach right next to where endangered birds make their nests. Balloon releases drive me nuts!
  • Options
    My UO: I think siggy challenges on other boards are annoying and I'm super glad this board doesn't do them. Phew, I feel cleansed admitting that.
    YES. When they came up in our first few days here, I was the first to chime in with this exact opinion. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    I can't STAND the "Happy Wife, Happy Life" phrase. No, it should be an equal partnership. My happiness does not trump my husband's. 

SIL and her H always said this (even had a bumper sticker on their truck)....and guess who jut separated after 10 years? Interesting, guess that mantra didn't work for y'all. 
    PREACH. 
  • Options
    I thought about 10 years ago we all realized throwing seeds(?) at weddings and a balloon releases were all horrible for wild life?!?! Who even does this anymore?! Ugh.
  • Options
    abmommy15 said:
    oheliza44 said:
    I judge people who opt out of organ donation on their driver's license. 

Edit for clarity. 
    This!  I wish it were an opt out system instead of opt in.  I saw an ad once that asked "if you needed an organ transplant would you get one? Sign your donor card today" and thought it was awesome.  People don't think about being the one needing the donation because who wants to think about that.  
    Same for blood donations. I organized a blood drive once and no one wanted to give blood even when I brought the Red Cross to our work building. They would literally ask me WHY. But I'm sure they'd get the transfusion no problem without thinking about the one to five people who gave their time and BLOOD for someone they didn't know. 
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited April 2017
    oheliza44 said:

Edit for clarity. 
    We have to opt-in but I agree.  I'm huge on organ donation.  The only exception I make on holding back judgment is for religious/cultural reasons.  While I don't personally understand it, I still respect it.  My other one is blood. Not sure about in the US but the slogan here is, "It's in you to give."  I started donating before I got pregnant and obviously had to stop for the time being but it can help so many people and save so many lives!  I just don't get why you wouldn't!  (Although admittedly, there are a lot of things that will prevent people from donating. Medications, health conditions etc. but for everyone else ... donate! donate! donate!)  If I'm being honest, I even considered being a live kidney donor.  I looked up all the literature, risks, watched the procedures on YouTube and everything.  I decided against it mainly due to time and having to miss work/lose money but it crossed my mind for a period of time. (However I don't think anyone has to go that far lol!  Being a live donor is much different obviously)
  • Options
    @abmommy15  There was talk a little while back about changing it from an opt-in to an opt-out here in Canada. :smile:
  • Options
    Re: organ and blood donation - I don't understand why someone wouldn't donate their organs either (outside of religious/cultural beliefs). 

As for blood donations, I've tried and my pulse is always too high bc I get sooo nervous. I'm so afraid of needles. I've been doing okay this pregnancy, but I still get nervous. It's completely irrational and I know it. Last time I tried to donate at a blood drive at work, my pulse rate was too high and they gave me barely any time at all to calm down before they checked it again. I told them I needed at least a few minutes to sit and chill (they probably gave me 1-2) but they weren't very nice and then told me that I failed twice and they wouldn't give me another chance. I'd like to try again, especially since I have a somewhat rare blood type (A-). I don't know how to get over the fear. 

• Options
    oheliza44 said:

Edit for clarity. 
    I'm this person. My uncle is an emt and he told me that if I were to get in a wreck there's only so much electric shock they can do before the possibility of organs getting damaged. So they can only shock you twice I think, it may take 3 or 4 times to bring you back. When it's my time to go it's my time but they better make sure they do everything to bring me back for my kids. Now if I die from natural causes, my husband knows my organs can be donated.
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    @ginger1228 there are many situations where they aren't allowed to take your blood! I understand that you really want to, but your own health comes first. I have organized and been a part of three blood drives (Not in the states) and a lot of people got rejected because of their blood pressures. 
    I'm not even scared of needles, have low blood pressure and mine goes up a little too. That huge bag filling up with my own blood freaks me out a little. I'm always light headed for two days afterwards aswell. But when you receive that certificate later on that your blood was given to someone it's the best.
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    edited April 2017
    @ginger1228 I am ashamed to say I never donate blood, but I totally understand what you're saying and I would accept a blood transfusion if I needed one. I guess I should be more proactive with donating, but I was always unsure of how I would react. I had never given blood, had blood drawn or even had an IV or anything before my first prenatal appointment during this pregnancy. So I was a little freaked out by the concept. Going forward I would probably donate if given the opportunity, knowing that I wouldnt pass out or another adverse reaction. 
  • Options
    I used to give blood as often as possible. In the last 5 years I haven't been as good about getting somewhere to have it drawn, but would always participate in a drive if someone organized one. DH is O- and refuses to donate. I try to get him to all the time. My Dad was also O- and wouldn't donate either. My dad also had the mentality that @mrsla3 has about organ donation on your license. He thought that if he was in a car accident the paramedics wouldn't try to save him if they knew he was an organ donor. 
  • Options

The thing is, it takes a lot more to make me happy vs hubby. He's happy for a month if he gets to surf once,  I need a whole lot more on the regular lol. 
  • Options
     Genuinely wondering and not trying to sound snarky but when they're performing lifesaving measures (in
    an ambulance for example), do they really pull out your drivers license to see if you're an organ donor? I thought that was more so for situations where you're already hospitalized and your next of kin/power of attorney/spouse would have the ability to "override" so to speak the organ donor classification and say the medical staff should prioritize your life. 
  • Options
    @ginger1228 That's totally understandable!  With my anxiety disorder, the fear my first time was so overwhelming!  It also causes me to fear nausea and passing out which can happen to a lot of people when giving blood.  No judgment here if you physically/emotionally can't handle it because I've been there before and it sucks!  Hell I say kudos to you for even trying considering your fear of needles.  :smile:
  • Options
    kat0607kat0607 member
    edited April 2017
    Any sort of "reveal" drives me nuts. But college reveal? What makes you think that ANYONE cares as much about what you're revealing than you? No one is losing sleep over where your child is going. Nor will they give it a second thought after. 

Its just part of the social media generation where everything has to be documented and shown off. If there wasn't a place to post it, prom proposals wouldn't even happen. I'm guilty of being an Instagram over-sharer of my kid but I don't think anyone cares, nor thinks she's that cute (tbh most days I don't think she's that cute). 

While I'm purging my "no1curr" thoughts, for the love of God, NO ONE thinks your child is as cute as you do. Nor are they. Stop entering them in contests and asking people to vote for them. Your child isn't cute. Really. They're not. 
    YES. Yes to all of this. ^^^^

Prom-posals are especially cringey. 
  • Options
    @Potterphile Personally, I highly doubt it. I am sure that is the last thing on a paramedics mind when they are trying to save the life of their patient. Playing devils advocate here though (keep in mind, my license does have organ donor on it), but why do we NEED to have it listed on our license? If my husband knows I want my organs donated, should something happen - do I really need to have it listed on my license too?
  • Options
    rae1-3 said:
    @Potterphile Personally, I highly doubt it. I am sure that is the last thing on a paramedics mind when they are trying to save the life of their patient. Playing devils advocate here though (keep in mind, my license does have organ donor on it), but why do we NEED to have it listed on our license? If my husband knows I want my organs donated, should something happen - do I really need to have it listed on my license too?
    What if your husband was in the accident with you?  I think the legality behind officially registering as a donor vs your next of kin deciding probably differs from place to place but I like knowing that even if my husband was unable to communicate my wishes they are still documented.  
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited April 2017
    Why would someone treat you differently over gratitude or deliberately not save your life because you are a donor? And if you really believe they do that why do you even rely on them?. 
  • Options
    abmommy15 said:
    rae1-3 said:
    What if your husband was in the accident with you?  I think the legality behind officially registering as a donor vs your next of kin deciding probably differs from place to place but I like knowing that even if my husband was unable to communicate my wishes they are still documented.  
    very true - but my family (mom, sisters) would then be able to tell them I wanted to donate. IDK. Again, I have it on my license, just thinking out loud here. 

Does organ donation go in your healthcare directive?