Baby Names

Would this middle name be strange given the circumstances?

Adoc86Adoc86 member
edited April 2017 in Baby Names
We're expecting our first LO in July and have chosen the name Christian Alexander. Now... my name is Alexandra, but that has no bearing on what we have chosen as DS' name. We simply just like the name. I have gotten a couple odd looks when we've shared it though and I felt like I needed to give a disclaimer that I wasn't naming the baby after myself :neutral: Though honestly tons of sons are named after their fathers so why would it be strange even if that were the reason? Those few responses gave me the impression they thought I was an egomaniac though :-/ 

Regardless of whether you like the name, do you think its odd considering my name? 

Me: 30 DH:30
No kids yet
DH: Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in 12/15 resulting in right orchiectomy &one round of BEP chemo. Banked sperm prior to treatment. Not enough in storage to risk on IUI so encouraged to go right to IVF w/ICSI.
Together since 2001. Married 10/2013
10/24/16 - Began stims (menopur & gonal f) for 1st round of IVF on high responder antagonist protocol.
11/5/16 - Lupron trigger.
11/7/16 - 13 eggs retrieved; 8 mature; 5 fertilized
11/12/16 - 5 day ET of 1 hatching embryo
Beta scheduled for 11/28!

11/21 BFP!

Due July 31

Re: Would this middle name be strange given the circumstances?

• Not odd at all
  • Loading the player...
  • No. Not odd. Lovely name.
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • I like it and don't think it's weird either.
    H & I: Both 28
    Married: June 2015
    TTC #1: June 2016
    BFP: 11-24-16 ~ EDD 8-9-17
    IT'S A BOY!

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Not odd at all, and so what if you were naming him after yourself? He's your son! Like you said, no one would bat an eye if you were naming him after his dad.
    Me (31) & DH (32)
    Married 9/27/2014
    DD Born 6/23/16
    Baby #2 Due 3/7/20
  • I know lots of men that give their exact names to their sons and no one bats an eye. A lot of men also give their first or middle name to their sons. And actually, I know a Carolyn that gave her daughter Karyl as a middle name and that's the name she actually goes by. So, tell those haters to step off!
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Not odd at all, and so what if you were naming him after yourself? He's your son! Like you said, no one would bat an eye if you were naming him after his dad.
    What she said! 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • The name is awesome!  Ignore the dumb people.
  • No that's not weird. 
  • Thanks, all! We didn't think it was strange when we chose it, but I wasn't sure if maybe I was missing something :smile:

Me: 30 DH:30
    No kids yet
    DH: Diagnosed with Testicular Cancer in 12/15 resulting in right orchiectomy &one round of BEP chemo. Banked sperm prior to treatment. Not enough in storage to risk on IUI so encouraged to go right to IVF w/ICSI.
    Together since 2001. Married 10/2013
    10/24/16 - Began stims (menopur & gonal f) for 1st round of IVF on high responder antagonist protocol.
    11/5/16 - Lupron trigger.
    11/7/16 - 13 eggs retrieved; 8 mature; 5 fertilized
    11/12/16 - 5 day ET of 1 hatching embryo
    Beta scheduled for 11/28!

11/21 BFP!

Due July 31

• Not at all, but I would assume you were making him after yourself, too. But I think that's perfectly fine!
  • Not at all.  Love it. 
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• I see absolutely nothing wrong with that name. I think it's a GREAT name! Congrats and best of luck!
    The McC 3 - DH, (38) Me, (34) and DS (3)
    A.J.M. - Born 6/11/13 after 17 BFNs including 1 failed IUI.
    Maybe Baby #2 - Started TTC Feb 2015. Called it quits after 29 cycles. 
  • I think you should own that it's a spin of your own name! My son has his dad's name as his middle name and nobody has ever questioned it... so what is the difference if you name after yourself?  
    It's a great name! 
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• Not odd at all. I would do it! For what it's worth, if this little one is a girl I'm considering giving her my middle name, Elizabeth. I changed my name when I married, something I slight regret, and I would like to pass down part of my name to her. 
  • I think it's perfectly fine! I actually like that his middle name will have a connection to you, even though that was not your original intention when you picked the name! 
  • I love it! My sons name is Christian. Middle name is Parker. We are expecting another boy and am absolutely clueless on a name so far :(
  • As someone who was named after her own mother, I can honestly tell you it's not weird at all.