November 2017 Moms
Options

Weekly Randoms April 24th

Re: Weekly Randoms April 24th

• Options
    Happy Tuesday. Mentioned this in Bitchfest briefly but we took my son to the doctor and it turns out he has hay fever. Have any mamas given their little ones Claritin or Zyrtec? It's been raining a bunch so his eyes aren't puffy right now but probably will be by the end of the week. He's 2 so I'm nervous about giving it (dr said to) but I have done my googling and it seems normal. 
    November 2017 July Summer Fails

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    Happy Tuesday. Mentioned this in Bitchfest briefly but we took my son to the doctor and it turns out he has hay fever. Have any mamas given their little ones Claritin or Zyrtec? It's been raining a bunch so his eyes aren't puffy right now but probably will be by the end of the week. He's 2 so I'm nervous about giving it (dr said to) but I have done my googling and it seems normal. 
    Very normal, my son is an allergic mess (don't get me started) and gets Claritin in the morning AND Zyrtec at night (don't do this without a doc's direction). Both are really safe! One may work better than the other for him so give one a try and if it's not helping, try the other. 

I usually buy the generic at cvs or Walgreens in huge bottles when they're BOGO 50% off because we go through so much. 
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @ElizabethSchuyler my 7 year old step son takes Claritin every day in spring, summer, and early fall. He's been taking it for about 4 years now and it works great. He has no side effects and without it, he'd be a mess. We've actually tried Zyrtec and Allegra in the past, but we keep coming back to Claritin because it works, the price is usually a little better, and he likes the flavor! Good luck with your LO! 
  • Options
    I got my baby bargains book yesterday and am obsessed with it. I basically read it cover to cover and felt so good when it validated some of the choices I've made, like for stroller/crib. It's  my new best friend. 

• Options
    Thank you @pawcall and @cmessamore. You ladies make me feel better about giving him the Claritin. Hopefully I know for me Zyrtec tends to work better. H picked up the Claritin so we'll see how it goes once the rain is out of here.

• Options
    car1acar1a member
    @DuchessOfCambridge got mine yesterday too! Though I passed out most of the evening so I haven't looked at it yet. Happy to hear your positive review! 
    ~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~---~
  • Options
    I got my six Year badge this morning. Super bizarre feeling to think about the history I've shared with this ridiculous website. 

• Options
    @BayCamp I am so so sorry for your loss . My thoughts are with you <3 
    @slaven I thought your 11 pound dog joke was funny. 
    @deemariec congrats on your little heartbeat! I, too am addicted to listening to my little one 
  • Options
    @ElizabethSchuyler My 2 year old takes Zyrtec every day. The dose for a kid that age is actually really small. I was a little nervous about it at first but everyone does it here. And it totally helps. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    ShePersistedShePersisted member
    edited April 2017

I'm sitting next to my boss in a meeting and bumping...ooooo thin ice! thin ice!

Also, they ordered sushi for everyone in the meeting for lunch...and my whole office team knows I love sushi and now I'm going to starve as I pretend eating lunch but not really or find an excuse to not eat after I complained not more than 30 mins ago that I was hungry! Can't win this one....

• Options
    That sucks, @ShePersisted! I'm a bad pregnant lady and would totally cave and eat it. But I completely get why you won't. In that case, I would probably say that I "feel a little off" and that I'm worried sushi won't help whatever is going on with my stomach. No one pries into stomach issues.
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    @kissthesky32 good idea.  It may seem weird but I'll try it. The issue is that I don't know where that sushi came from. I think some regular catering place so I don't know the quality of the kitchen or else I would not be bothered that much. 
  • Options
    @ShePersisted Hopefully there are some California rolls and some shrimp tempura rolls so you don't starve!

• Options
    @ShePersisted Totally with you on avoiding, then. Maybe run to the bathroom and take an extra long time to make your stomach off story more convincing?

• Options
    @elizabethshuyler they have salad and dessert so I guess I'll survive. No one noticed my plate so all good. 
  • Options
    Same, @DuchessOfCambridge. I am so sad for all these ladies' losses. And I am getting more and more nervous for my appointment next week.

• Options
    @kissthesky32 it's good to know I'm not alone in worrying...though I wish neither of us was feeling that way. FX we both have wonderful appointments next week.

• Options
    @DuchessOfCambridge I have been feeling the same way. Too many losses...it's just too sad. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    I think a mom whose going through an actual loss right now would give anything to rather have worry and anxiety than an actual loss. Let's not do this ladies pls. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017
    Sorry I disagree. While this is an open forum to discuss our anxiety it's not the right time to say all the losses are making me nervous. You can talk about anxiety in general but there is no need to link it to all the losses.  It's like someone telling me my loss is making them anxious while I''m actually struggling with a loss. What's the purpose? Are we expecting reassurance that we all have anxiety or that we all are in the same boat. None of us are experiencing what these women are. Not at the very moment at least so why can't we just let this moment go and just be there for them without trying to say how it impacts us. If someone lost their mom would you tell them my moms the same age as your mom that's why it's making me anxious that she will die too. No we would never do that and this is no different. A loss is hard and no matter how susceptible anyone is to it, we should be sensitive on how this would make them feel. 

I dont mean to be harsh here but having being in this exact same situation first hand I know for a fact this hurts. 
  • Options
    Hmm. I have mixed feelings on this one. No one was attempting to talk directly to the ladies experiencing loss right now about personal anxieties (which would be totally inappropriate). Clearly these ladies could be reading these posts. 

*TW* I've also experienced multiple losses in the past and it is so easy for seemingly small things to make you hurt. 

I also remember the loneliness of my successful pregnancy wondering if/when it would end in bad news. I measured time passage not in what fruit size DD was, but likelihood of MC and then %survival odds if born really early. Clearly anxiety got the better of me. And it was so isolating.

I'd suggest a "*TW* MC anxieties thread" since not everyone feeling anxiety may have miscarried. 
  • Options
    edited April 2017

Look, I never said you should not talk abut your anxiety but it does not need to be talked about when someone is having a very hard time and it need not be linked. Lets talk about anxiety for what it is anxiety. Trust me ladies a loss of a pregnancy does not feel any less than a loss of an actual child for most women. When someone has a loss we always just be there for them no matter what it makes us feel. All I am asking is for little patience before it becomes about us vs. them having their time to process and leave the group.

I'm going to rest my case with this as this is obviously bringing up sad memories for me.

• Options
    So, I'll just say that I've seen recent losses affecting anxiety come up in other threads (like PGAL) in a similar timeframe, but that's not somewhere I feel comfortable posting. I rarely even lurk there because it doesn't feel right. While I thankfully have not suffered a loss myself, I don't think that makes my feelings invalid, the fear is still real. I would never say things like those mentioned above to someone's face and I didn't tag anyone here either. I think @alparodi's idea is great and gives those of us who need it a place to discuss.

I've clearly offended and dredged up hard memories for you @ShePersisted, and for that I'm truly sorry.

• Options
    edited April 2017
    @DuchessOfCambridge @kissthesky32 hugs ladies. I know you don't mean anything and I appreciate you attempting to understand my point of view. I love you ladies already so I come from a place where I just want you to know that it could be hard for someone to digest. This happened in my last bmb and it left a loss mom in tears. There someone posted a new thread on this topic 'anxiety due to losses' and she just did not take it well after her 5th or 6th loss. of course none of you would ever do something like that but I just wanted to raise some awareness. 
  • Options
    PM'ed @DuchessOfCambridge and @kissthesky32 with offer to lend an ear as an alternate outlet for anxiety. Just want a sensitive solution where everyone gets the support needed. Hope this helps
  • Options
    For those of you who have experienced previous losses, I'm hoping to get some advice on the most gentle approach to a situation with a friend of mine. I have not personally experienced a loss, so I want to be sure to handle things as sensitively as possible.

Would this be an acceptable time/place to explain the situation, or can someone direct me to a more appropriate board?
  • Options
    I got my baby bargains book yesterday and am obsessed with it. I basically read it cover to cover and felt so good when it validated some of the choices I've made, like for stroller/crib. It's  my new best friend. 
    Isn't it the best. My first one was tabbed throughout. I just decided to get an updated version since I had my son in 2013 lots has changed!! 
  • Options
    @ooodalollly I would think this would be the board for it? But I , too, don't have experience with loss so am not 100 percent sure. 
  • Options
    @ooodalollly I second @bcashaw I think here would be an appropriate place.
  • Options
    Okay, ***TW*** I have a friend who was a best friend for many years growing up, but we haven't kept up with each other much so we aren't very close anymore. Our moms are still very close and live in the same town, so she actually helped host my hometown shower with my first. She announced her pregnancy on Facebook about a month ago, so I sent her a text checking on her. My husband and I weren't sharing our news yet outside of our inner circle, but her due date was the same as mine so I wanted to open doors of communication for me to tell her when we were ready and possibly rekindle our friendship over it. She shared with me that her first appointment didn't go well, and the following week she experienced her second miscarriage. She still does not know that I am expecting and I know that when she finds out it will be extremely painful, especially with our shared due date. So I'm just wondering the best way/wording/timing to share with her to bring her as little pain as possible. 
  • Options
    @ooodalollly it's so tough because I don't think there is any perfect time for these sorts of things. I have a close friend who has been struggling with IF for quite some time and I ended up texting her which I think was the best way to go about it. And i made sure to tell her sooner rather than later to let her know i wasn't trying to hide it from her. Just let her know that you know she is struggling right now but wanted her to hear it from you as opposed to someone else. Telling her you understand if she does not want to talk about it or even if she doesn't want to respond to the text is fine. It might take her a bit but you definitely want to give her space to have her emotions and let her know that it is fine to feel them and that you are there if she wants to talk.
  • Options
    Thank you @ugoglencoco . That's very helpful. 
  • Options
    @ooodalollly Also, try to do this one-on-one and at a time/place your friend won't feel trapped if she needs some alone ​time after talking. (Ex. Don't invite to dinner and talk before when she'd feel obligated to stay).
  • Options
    @ugoglencoco I hate those sales pitches too. I bet they were instructed not to say "stay at home mom" for some reason, and that's what she came up with instead!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker