December 2017 Moms

Raw almond milk?

Has anyone been told they can or can't have raw almond milk? A juice bar near me makes the BEST raw almond milk and I am having some major cravings for it! I know you can't have pressed juice or unpasteurized dairy but I feel like raw almond milk is in kind of a gray area. I plan on asking my doctor about it on Monday but I REALLY want it now...! Thanks for the help! 

Re: Raw almond milk?

• I eat all the things. You do you. Use your judgement.
    Lilypie First Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
  • Why can't you have pressed juice? 3rd pregnancy and I've never heard this. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @kvacmak seriously my spirit animal! 
  • acgonzalez22acgonzalez22 member
    edited April 2017
    I drink pressed juice all the time from my local organic market. Also, as long as the environment is clean and you think bacteria free for the most part, I don't see the issue. I drank a ton of raw almond milk and raw coconut milk with DS.

Edited for grammer.
  • The raw almonds are not treated for salmonella...But I read that most raw almonds aren't actually "raw".

https://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?tname=dailytip&dbid=324
  • ...and the pressed juice was referring to juice that is packaged unpasteurized which is very rare to find.  And even if you did it would have a warning label on it.  Pressed juice they make fresh in front of you doesn't count. This restriction about the unpasteurized pressed juice is there because it is more prone to developing bacteria. 
  • @acgonzalez22 hahaha thanks. There is very little filter, and very little f*cks given over here hahaha
    Being an emerg nurse makes me see what things are REALLY important, and what is worth stressing out over, so there will be a lot of real talk from me on this board ;)
  • Thank you all!!! So excited to drink this almond milk, I think it's going to be my best friend for the next few months! 
  • I'm with @kvacmak.... I eat it all. Except bean sprouts because gross. And unpasteurized cheese because I'm lactose intolerant.

Flame Suit: I mentioned it before, but I also drink the drinks... A SIP!!!! not a gulp, a sip. Or a mini mimosa because I'm making a human and I deserve it on occasion. 

But seriously, don't live the next 8 (because theoretically we are all at least a month along) months in a bubble. You'll go crazy. If you want sushi, be smart and make sure it gets its fish from reputable sources. If you want a deli sandwich but don't want it hot because you microwaved it, don't go to subway... If you want coffee, 200mg is the recommended max per day, which your standard grande size coffee (straight black coffee) doesnt even come close to. 

Uhm, sorry for the tangent. Enjoy your almond milk :) lol

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • mrtmrt member
    Hi, lurking due to insomnia, and just wanted to mention because "grande" was mentioned that typically a "medium" sized coffee would be under 200mg, but my doctor cautioned me against Starbucks. Their brewed coffee has 260-360 mg of caffeine in a grande (depending on the specific roast). So while I could probably have 2 cups of coffee I brewed at home without hitting 200mg, Starbucks caffeine levels (specifically for brewed coffee) are crazy high. Enjoy coffee/sushi/almond milk wisely and well-informed.
  • I'll have to agree with @mrt - Starbucks is know to have excessively high caffeine levels in their coffee!