June 2017 Moms
Options

GTKY: Favorite summer time activity/tradition

I know we all will have newborns this summer, but typically what is your favorite summer time activity or tradition?

Married 12/17/2011
                                                                              K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                              C born 1/11/14
                                                              BFP #3 Nov 2014: D&C January 2015
                                                              BFP #4 Sept 2016: Due May 31 2017

Re: GTKY: Favorite summer time activity/tradition

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    Mine include hanging out at my parents house most days using their pool to tire out my kids!  We will probably also frequent the beach this summer.  I would love to start some kind of annual trip or something with the kids, but most likely not this year.  It is fun to dream though.  ;)
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• Options
    +1 for booze outside.  I quite enjoy sitting outside with a cold glass of white wine in the summer.  We also really enjoy taking the kids up north to my ILs rental unit in Smugglers Notch (VT).  The kids love it because they have plenty of toddler friendly activities.  I love it because it gets us outside more and the speed is way more relaxed than MA.  Before I found out I was pregnant, I had really wanted to take DS to his first Sox game.  I'll need to delay that until next year, but he'll still be a fun age to take anyway!  
  • Options
    I am also super excited to partake in some alcoholic beverages this summer.  I am ready for a nice white sangria and some Rose wine for sure.  Maybe some cider and beer too.  I guess just all the alcohol. 
                                                                              Married 12/17/2011
                                                                                  K born 8/31/12                                 
                                                                                  C born 1/11/14

• Options
    I love going to the lake.  We've only taken the kids once but I grew up with a family lake house and went all the time when I was little.  My dad bought a lake condo again (he sold the old house when I was 18) so I'm super excited to take my kids there for the pool, lake and boat! It will be hard this summer but it's only 1.5 hours from our house and I can hang with the baby on the screened in porch while DH or my Dad take the other two swimming and stuff.  

I love the pool but hate how much work it is to take 2 toddlers.  And pool trips won't be happening this year most likely.  I see us using the blow up kiddie pool in the backyard a lot this summer! 

I also enjoy some fruity frozen drinks outside while DH bbqs or smokes something on the Traeger. 
  • Options
    Sitting outside and drinking a beer with DH after baby(ies) are asleep, evenings at the outdoor wine bar or impromptu homemade cocktail get-togethers on the patio with my best friend, sangria and grilled chicken Sundays at my mom's, early morning walks, trips to the farmer's market. 
    Basically any day is better when you can drink outside. 
  • Options
    Lake Erie beach time, BBQ & day drinking on an outdoor patio, Indians games and hikes at the Metroparks - can't wait to see that Lillebaby carrier in action!!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Lake visits/camping and swimming lessons for dd. I love seeing how happy she gets in water! 
    No camping this year though. 
  • Options
    I married into a lake family, like every weekend is lake time for them from Memorial Day thru Labor Day, unfortuanly it just doesn't seem feasible with a newborn. I love going to the minor league games, we always plan to go on $1 beer and hot dog night. 
  • Options
    Kayaking the local river, outdoor evenings with wine, farmer's markets, baseball games!!

BabyFruit Ticker

Lilypie Waiting to Adopt tickers

• Options
    +1 to alcohol outside. I love having a fire in the backyard making smores with the girls. I also love taking them to the splash park we usually go before lunch and have a picnic after. We might take them to the pool but it's going to be hard because I won't be able to go in for most my oldests summer break. They get out of school end of May and start 1st week of August. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • Options
    Having picnics and taking dd swimming at the state park near our house, going to my parents' house to grill out and swim in their pool, drinking white wine outside in the evening with dh, campfires. We love camping, but we haven't done it since my first pregnancy. I think we have a couple more years before I am ready to try that with our kids!
  • Options
    I love going to happy hour and sitting outside in the summer. This summer we have a new yard and deck so I'm looking forward to drinking out there. My ILs have a shore house so we spend a significant amount of time down there at the beach too. 
  • Options
    Oh the farmers market...I cannot wait.
  • Options
    White Wine, local ice cream, fires in the fire pit, weekends at the in-laws lake house, watching sunsets...
  • Options
    We are also a lake family- my parents have a lake house on this super small lake in NY, and I'm so sad that this will be the first year in my entire 34 years on this planet that I won't be going.  Bonfires and beer and s'mores and swimming- the best part of summer!!
  • Options
    meilaymeilay member
    edited April 2017
    I usually do a circuit of food festivals/fairs from June through September. I absolutely love food festivals and my mom is my buddy for those. We got our method down last year to go as soon as they open, get full/tipsy, walk around and then leave right when it's getting crowded. Brilliant. 

My family has a tradition of having a huge 4th of July BBQ at a local lake every year since my uncle was fresh out of high school. His BBQ ribs are the stuff of legend. I don't think I'll be comfortable taking my roughly 4 week old so I'll have to miss it this year. 

I also usually garden in the summer but I let my garden devolve into a jungle while pregnant and I won't be able to get it cleared out and newly planted in time this season. 

Basically my summer revolves around food in as many forms as possible. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    Getting drunk
  • Options
    mrtmrt member
    +1 to booze in the backyard watching the kids play. @Wearmi1 I also complain about the heat as soon as it's above 80. I'm good with 70, I don't see why it ever needs to be warmer than that.
  • Options
    Hanging out by my parents' pool and being spoiled by them with delicious BBQs every night, and lots of help with child care.
  • Options
    I love all the outside festivals and free music concerts.  We always do some tent camping in the mountains too.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• Options
    @meilay I knew I liked you! 
    Most of our fav activities revolve around food too! BBQs, the farmers market, walking to the local bakery to get a treat before walking to the park... yummm!!!
    We also usually road trip to Seattle, which I love!!!! The aquarium, the zoo, the Park Place Market, the Science Museum, the EMP!  Man I love it there but I don't think We'll be headed there this summer :( 
  • Options
    +1 for outside boozin' I don't discriminate when it comes to summer cocktails: white peach sangria, mojitos, Moscow mules, margaritas, bourbon punch and summer beers too.

I love to be in/near water too. Last summer was glorious and we spent time in OBX, Hilton Head, and Lake Michigan. I also love hanging out at the pool and kayaking.

I'm a baby about heat so a cold beverage or pool, lake, beach makes me happy.
  • Options
    My mom's family has a reunion in the back country of Idaho for 4th of July weekend. The family has a huge sprawling ranch that everyone invades for a week or more. I absolutely love it! Horseback riding, white water rafting, fishing, dirt biking, hiking, beer drinking, 4th of July parade and fireworks, BBQing, drinking games, daily happy hours... I love every minute of it.

SO sad we will be missing it this year, specially since one of the cousins is getting married at the ranch that weekend.

But next year we will rent an RV and drive up for it for sure!

• Options
    Definitely hanging out at my parents lake place and going out on the boat and day drinking. Luckily my mom said she would watch the baby for a few hours, so me and DH and DD can still go out on the boat! 

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    We go up to our cabin in northern Wisconsin a lot in the summers. I love it up there and I'm so excited to take Chloe! She will be the 4th generation of DH's family to be up there! We go on the boat, canoe rides, hang out down at the beach with the neighbors, go on bike rides and the shooting range when it's cold! Obviously we can't do all of that with a newborn! This summer will be different since I won't be drinking as much but I hope to enjoy a cold beer or 2 down at the beach once in awhile! If she's early we are going to go for 4th of July. We'll see how everyone is feeling by then. 
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers