November 2017 Moms

TMI: Zofran & Prune juice

If you don't like poop discussions, leave now.

Zofran for MS is a life saver for me. Keeps me barely functioning rather than lying in bed wallowing in self pity. Taking 4 mg 2x day

However, it's very constipating and a stool softener isn't enough. Anyone have a recommended dose of prune juice to stay regular? I don't want to OVER do it!

Open to other suggestions as well, but trying prune juice first.

Re: TMI: Zofran & Prune juice

• Try 4 oz then graduate to 8 oz if 4 doesn't do the trick. Good luck! I'm constipated right beside you. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Thank you for posting this! I'm in the same boat but meds are 8mg 3xdaily. Idk what's worse the vomiting or constipation. I'm weary of trying prune juice because sugars(even natural ones) don't settle in my stomach and they come right back up. Gotta try something though 
    Me: 30 DH: 34
    Married: 11/2013
     "Q" DS1: 3/2011
    "T" DS2: 10/2012
    "A" DD: 1/2014
    EDD #4: 11/26/2017
    BabyFruit Ticker
    BabyName Ticker

• QTAMum3 said:
    Thank you for posting this! I'm in the same boat but meds are 8mg 3xdaily. Idk what's worse the vomiting or constipation. I'm weary of trying prune juice because sugars(even natural ones) don't settle in my stomach and they come right back up. Gotta try something though 
    You could try diluting the juice. Can you eat a pear or prunes? That will help. 
  • I've struggled with constipation for so long and I used to try all kinds of things lol I know activia yogurt everyday really helped and another thing I was trying for a while was chia seeds. You can get chia and flax seed mix also. I usually grind in blender to have some on hand. You can sprinkle on your fruits/yogurt or drink it with favorite beverage of your choice. Usually I put one tablespoon in soy milk or yogurt. But you have to drink plenty of water. If you google, you'll find out it is a wonderful source of fiber and all the good stuff. The texture when it was sitting in the liquid for a while maybe slimey but I read somewhere it is best that way so it doesn't absorb too much water in your system especially bowel so it doesnt cause more constipation
  • I am starting to take a stool softener every other day, I didn't go 4 days in a row and I felt terrible and was severely constipated... after mirlax, magnesium citrate, and a stool softener I was able to go... all these things were okayed by my dr because they go straight from your mouth out so no harm for baby. Good luck!
  • My magic healthy recipe.....

A serve of oats cooked slowly on stove top with half water and half milk of your choice. Cook with:
    1 tsp each flax seed, poppy seeds, chia seeds
    1 tbl each sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, pepitas, slivered almonds and 2 table spoons of shredded coconut. Not desicated. Pinch cinnamon.
    Honey to serve.

Trust me. Also this recipe has lots of protein and calcium due to nuts n seeds.

Also glycerin suppositories help to initially open the lower bowels. 
  • I don't take zofran, although the Dr prescribed it to me in case I have those nights that are not good.. I've been trying MiraLax everyday.  Dr okayed it so I'm trying to see if it works.  Yesterday I had oatmeal that had a ton of fiber in it and that helped a lot! Kinda of like what @c+mpeachey said
  • Add me to the miralax list.  I only take it when absolutely necessary, but I have (TMI) damage from my first childbirth that still opens back up when I get really constipated:(  And....that happened last week.  I can take a full cup for 4-5 days, then a half cap for 4-5 days, and then get back to something more gentle.  So dumb!
    *E 10/2012, H 7/2014, F 2/2016*
    Pregnancy Ticker