October 2017 Moms
Options

POTD: Children and Nutrition: Omnivores Vs. Vegetarians

VLillyVVLillyV member
edited April 2017 in October 2017 Moms
Weigh in below! 

Are you vegetarian/vegan and plan on raising your child the same? Or, are you an omnivore and plan on having a diet that incorporates meats and veggies? 

VS  
Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

POTD: Children and Nutrition: Omnivores Vs. Vegetarians 77 votes

Vegetarian/Vegan: Science has proven that red meat is obsolete.
2% 2 votes
Omnivore: Give them all the meats and veggies!
85% 66 votes
Pescatarian/Poultritarian: No red meat here, just fish or chicken.
2% 2 votes
SS - Keepin it Politically Correct
9% 7 votes

Re: POTD: Children and Nutrition: Omnivores Vs. Vegetarians

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    I love all the foods.

Also, I'm southern. Chicken 'n dumplins, pulled pork and grilling burgers is more than a past time. It's a lifestyle.

You don't have to be so healthy!  I'm thinking more like Fried Chicken, mashed potatoes smothered in gravy, anything smothered in gravy.  You know we like a little meat and veggies with our grease around here.
  • Options
    YOU DON"T NEED MEAT TO SURVIVE! I can't stress this enough!

Did you know, that red meat is a known carcinogen and can cause cancer? Or that humans have evolved past a point of needing any meats to survive? yep! It's actually harming us.

Meat is also extremely tough for our digestive systems, in fact, not enough of us are even getting the recommended amount of greens in our diets! People, think FIBER.

Plus, the meat industry is killing our planet, particularly the cattle industry. They let these cows eat and eat all day long and while they eat, they also release dangerous methane gas into the ecosystem which is creating a hole in the ozone.

So yes. I will be raising my child Vegetarian. They will get everything they need from a RICH plant based diet and not contribute to the demise of our planet.
  • Options
    @jessafishy

You're right! Kids KNOW that meat is MURDER!
  • Options
    @jessafishy That's what you think. They have evolved past your unrefined and unevolved taste buds and no longer desire meat.
  • Options
    SS. I love meat. My husband is vegetarian. We eat mostly vegetarian at home because I'm lazy and only want to make one meal, but DS eats meat whenever I feel ambitious enough to provide it or when we go out to eat.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    VLillyV said:
    @jessafishy That's what you think. They have evolved past your unrefined and unevolved taste buds and no longer desire meat.
    Go'and brush yo shoulders off.
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @carries2018 I don't think that's funny at all and find your picture in bad taste. This is a serious discussion and is worthy of serious responses.

I want to go ahead and add in that there are several factors of the meat industry that I can not get past.

Here are some facts:

Among mammals 41,700,000 cows and calves werekilled for food in 2000, as well as 115,200,000 pigs and 4,300,000 sheep, for a total of 161,200,000. These stats are also expected to continue to rise. Thus, the total number of all animals killed for food in 2000 was 9.7 billion.

Also, the Mad Cow disease is easily spread by eating meat from an infected bovine. When a cow is slaughtered, parts of it are used for human food and other parts are used in animal feed. If an infected cow is slaughtered and its nerve tissue is used incattle feed, other cows can become infected. People can get vCJD if they eat the brain or spinal cord tissue of infected cattle.

and don't get me started on Veal and the Dairy industry!

Calves are slaughtered when only a few weeks old (at most 1 month old) weighing up to 60 lb. Formula-fed ("white" or "milk-fed") veal. Calves are raised on a milk formula supplement. The meat colour is ivory or creamy pink, with a firm, fine, and velvety appearance.  The veal industry was created as a means to take advantage of the unwanted male calves produced by the diary industry. Most calves used to produce veal live only 18 to 20 weeks and perhaps this short life expectancy is the reason that so few precautions are taken to prevent their suffering. Approximately one million veal calves are born and slaughtered each year and in factory farms, these young creatures are exposed to psychological trauma, poor nutrition, and complete confinement for the duration of their short lives.
  • Options
    @VLillyV tl;dr
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Options
    GIVE. ME. ALL. THE. MEATS. (who cares if we all end up having living worms in our colons lol) 
  • Options
    VLillyVVLillyV member
    edited April 2017

Edited because people have feelings too. You are all murderers and are horrible. How could you be comfortable with yourselves?

If all you guys can come up with are Gifs, then I am proud knowing that I am busting out facts. Enlighten yourselves.

Also, meat treated with antibiotics are killing our children. Bacteria is becoming resistent to antibiotic treatment and those eating meat will be gravely affected.

All you "Pro-Vaccine" mommies better note that one. Your putting your children in danger.
  • Options
    SparklelilySparklelily member
    edited April 2017
    I would be so bad about making sure my kids ate meat if I didn't. I'm not a big fruit eater and lately I've been feeling guilty that my DS only seems to like the same few fruits I like. Meat though, that boy can down chicken sausage and ham all day long.
  • Options
    here @VLillyV direct quote from BILs FB page, he can help your campaign

It's so hard being in line at the supermarket and seeing all the meat, dairy and egg products people put in their carts. The worst experience, however, is when their are kids involved. Please people, research Veganism. It's an absolute no-brainer on every level and it's the only dietary choice that's actually in keeping with your values. Killing for choice when there is no need is unethical. PERIOD!
                                      DD1 - 10/11/13                 DD2 - 5/07/15

Pregnancy Ticker

May Siggy Challenge: Parenting Fails
    Image result for parenting fails
  • Options
    @carries2018 Thank you. I appreciate you're help. You're on the right path now :) I knew the facts would compel you.

• Options
    I mean, personally, death is a fact of life. I'm grateful all the time that there are hunting seasons for deer. Those things are more dangerous to our fellow humans than cow farts.
     --------
    I heart theSkimm
    I heart YNAB
    ---------
    “Happiness can be found even in the darkest of times, 
    if one only remembers to turn on the light." 
    - Albus Dumbledore
  • Options
    virginiahamvirginiaham member
    edited April 2017
    VLillyV said:

You are all murderers and are horrible. How could you be comfortable with yourselves?

If all you guys can come up with are Gifs, then I am proud knowing that I am busting out facts. Enlighten yourselves.

Also, meat treated with antibiotics are killing our children. Bacteria is becoming resistent to antibiotic treatment and those eating meat will be gravely affected.

All you "Pro-Vaccine" mommies better note that one. Your putting your children in danger.
    Well since my Jay-Z GIFs aren't working, I'll YT link some more.

But what if we **are** concerned that the animals we consume had a good life?

https://youtu.be/ErRHJlE4PGI
    me . early 30's | h . mid 30's | < 3 . 2013

ntnp #2 . summer 2018

*siggy warning*

ttc#1 . jul 2015
    mmc . mar 2016 | 6w2d
    dx PCOS (non-IR) / subclinical hypothyroidism . summer 2016
    tx metformin, levothyroxine, LP progesterone, femara + trigger + ti . fall/winter 2016
    BFP! . jan 2017
    DD . oct 2017

• Options
    @virginiaham I love that your name is virginiaham. Well planned.
  • Options
    GIVE ME ALL THE MEATS! I mean don't get me
    wrong I love a good salad, but it's gotta have meat in it. 
  • Options
    I'm gonna special snowflake this one. Before DS was born, SO and I were eating a mostly vegetarian diet. We'd eat meat once or twice a week. Then, after DS, we find of fell off that wagon. I'd like to get back to it, but I need this baby to stop rejecting veggies first. And, to be honest, I don't think DS would care. The only meat he eats consistently is ham, so obviously not a big meat eater as it is!
  • Options
    I think the paleo way of eating is the best and it's what I strive for....but life happens and we definitely make trips through the drive thru or use packaged foods. Most of my kids are good eaters and like a wide variety of foods. 
  • Options
    This poll gave me an identity crisis.  I've never been a vegetarian but this pregnancy has made me LOATHE meat.  Will that end when I give birth???  Or am I doomed to vegetarianism forever?????
  • Options
    I mean, personally, death is a fact of life. I'm grateful all the time that there are hunting seasons for deer. Those things are more dangerous to our fellow humans than cow farts.

I'm thankful for hunting seasons too!  Yummy deer steak, turkey nuggets, I could go on.  But I'm making myself hungry.  And actually that's probably all better for me than the chemically sprayed vegetables you get at the grocery!