November 2017 Moms

Books for Partner?

I know we have talked a lot about pregnancy books, but have we talked about resources for partner/dad? DH is struggling a bit with the unpredictability of how I feel at any given moment. He's a reader, so if I hand him a book or articles he will read it!

Re: Books for Partner?

• My DH is enjoying "Dude, You're Gonna Be A Dad!". He reads a little past where we currently are so he knows whats happening now and what to expect in the coming month. That way he isn't overwhelmed with information about the whole pregnancy but still knows what's going on.

• I'll check that out! So far the pregnancy books I've gotten for myself have been a big bust. :(
  • Loading the player...
  • My Boys Can Swim and Commando Dad: New Recruits have been easy to read and attention keeping for my husband. He likes yourduedate.com better though! I sent him the link with my EDD and he reads up before appointments so he knows what to expect and see on the ultrasound.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I got mine What to Expect when Your Wife is Expanding. It's a funny version of ours. He hasn't picked it up yet but I may start leaving it places for him 
  • ss145ss145 member
    We were looking into all these books, and found them to be a little demeaning to men :/ They were saying things like 'make sure you do the dishes, cos your wife needs help' -  my hubby doesn't appreciate the generalisation that all men are useless. 

There was also one that said that its normal to want to cheat on your wife during pregnancy :/ that was a no go ahaha
  • To each his own but DH doesn't find Dude You're Gonna Be A Dad demeaning to him. He said its provided him with a sympathetic point of view of what's happening and that it's normal and I'm not just being crazy. He didn't understand everything happening to my body and how it was making me feel at first and reading another mans account of those similar things happening to his wife and why made him realize my feelings are valid and I'm not being dramatic. I don't think he didn't believe me but once he got explanations as to why, it all clicked for him. But, I'm sure you'll find a book that is suited to you both. 

• When we went around the first time I don't think any book was as good for husband as child birth classes were. It put a lot into perspective for both of us. 
  • ss145ss145 member
    @DuchessOfCambridge you make really good points and have definitely made me reconsider! X
  • I finally got DH to pick up some online reading last night after preggo rage had me crying before bed.  He read for hours after I fell asleep. I hope that means he'll be more sympathetic to everything I've got going on. I'm not so good with change and feel like I need some extra support.  :/
  • My DH LOVED What to expect when your wife is expanding. It's hilarious but actually has some good info in there. We also took child birthing, parenting, and breastfeeding classes together when I was about 6 month pregnant to help both of us. They were extremely helpful, and cheap through our hospital!
  • My DH was given a few books during our last pregnancy and he hardly read any of them. What he found really helpful was signing up for something online like Ovia or WTE and he gets weekly and daily emails telling him what I'm going through and what our baby is doing developmentally. It makes him feel like he's really a part of this, without expecting him to read a novel on my cervix. 
  • My DH learned so much when we read the Bradley Method books (and took the classes and our hospital class). Very informative but I will point out Bradley is geared towards little-to-no interventions for labor. For us that was what we wanted, but also we are "be prepared for any/ everything" types and that books and classes did go over so many scenarios and what to expect with XYZ issues. So it was great for him and the non pregnant person in this deal and us as a couple. 
  • He ended up getting "The Expectant Father" and really likes it. He browsed the "Dude" book at found it not his style. But now he keeps coming at me with "Did you know X??"  But it's making him feel more involved which is great!
  • @irishfrisky it's great he found one that works for him!