July 2017 Moms

WM check-in w/o 4/10

Okay WMs! It's been a second but we're all busy, right? how are you guys doing? 

How far along are you?

Upcoming appointments this week?

Any new symptoms or changes?

Rants/Raves/Questions?

GTKY: What are your childcare plans post-mat leave? How are you preparing for that? 

Bonus: 
What are you most looking forward to on mat leave? 

Re: WM check-in w/o 4/10

• How far along are you? 27+5

Upcoming appointments this week? Wednesday. DH can't come so I might see if my mom wants to come. Not that I need someone there, but I know she'd like hearing her heartbeat!

Any new symptoms or changes? I am anemic, so I started an iron supplement this weekend. We will see how that goes. 

Rants/Raves/Questions? Not today.

GTKY: What are your childcare plans post-mat leave? How are you preparing for that? 
    I am lucky enough to have 2 sisters and a mom that live within a mile of me (A third sister lives about 30 min away) who are all SAHs. So we will probably have mom mom and both the close sisters each take a day babysitting here, then do daycare 2 days a week. If MIL moves closer (she has been thinking about it - currently lives 1.5 hours away) and could do a day, we could actually get away with not doing any daycare because the 5th day could be rotated between all 4 of them, but IDK if that will happen before mat leave is over or not. So for now, the plan is 2 days daycare.

re: prep. We started a google doc that lists all they day cares in our area, and have been calling around getting info/pricing. The struggle is that many day cares don't allow part time for infants, so that has definitely narrowed our list. In the next month or so, we plan to go visit 3-4 of our 'front runners' and try to pick the one that we like the best.  

Bonus: 
    not working?! haha But really I will probably be working from home a lot. So I guess not putting on real clothes. And obviously spending as much quality bonding time as possible with DH and baby.
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • How far along are you? 27w2d

Upcoming appointments this week? just a monthly endocrinologist check

Any new symptoms or changes? RLP is getting worse as is the hip pain.

Rants/Raves/Questions?

I've applied to the daycare centers on the military base closest to my office and am on the waitlist for January/February 2018. So, worst-case, we have to find an in-home provider near our house. Yeah...I should probably get on that. From what I've heard, sometimes they will open new classes early and that would bump up the start date. I go back to work in mid-October (if she's born on or near her EDD). I do plan on breastfeeding, so I know I'll need to work on a stash while at home. I haven't thought much past that.

Bonus: 
    I second the not having to put on real clothes and baby bonding. I also think I'm looking forward to catching up on some reading. I do plan to work from home occasionally, especially towards the end of my leave.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Loading the player...
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited April 2017
    How far along are you?  27w5d

GTKY: What are your childcare plans post-mat leave? How are you preparing for that?  Canadian here so I get a full year but LO will go to daycare when I go back to work.  Begrudgingly.  I really would like to be a SAHM but it would be way too tight financially.  Daycare is so expensive, I'm really dreading the cost but it would still be worth it for me to work.  I will probably need to start scoping places out around 6 months.     

Bonus: What are you most looking forward to on mat leave?
    I don't care how exhausted I will be, I am just very much looking forward to not working for a year.  I have all these plans of things to do while on leave but I know most of them will probably never happen.  Just looking forward to getting to know my LO.  

Suggestion:  I'm not sure how others feel but I took the appointments, symptoms, raves and questions out of this mostly because all that stuff is already covered in the FTM and STM check-in.  I kind of feel like adding it to this thread is redundant/repetitive?  I'm more likely to post that stuff in the check-in rather than here.  Maybe we can add some stuff that is more work related?         
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • How far along are you? 24w 2d

Upcoming appointments this week? no 

Any new symptoms or changes? increased nausea/reflux. I think I may have found a strategy for eating/antacids/sleeping position that makes it manageable. Knock on wood. 

Rants/Raves/Questions?

We're on the wait list for a daycare center and they thought it was likely that there will be space for us by October, which is great. We're planning on keeping tabs on them and then during my maternity leave start interviewing nannies and looking at in-home centers if it looks like we'll have a gap between when we need daycare and when a spot opens up. DH and I will have to juggle our work schedules a bit to split up daycare drop off and pick up, but fortunately both of our bosses are ok with us adjusting our hours. 

Bonus: 
    Cuddling my baby. Not commuting.

DH and I also have grand plans of rewatching Battlestar Galactica. We shall see. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • How far along are you? 25w5d

Upcoming appointments this week? None this week

Any new symptoms or changes? lower back pain if I walk too much (and by too much I mean like more than 20 minutes). 

Rants/Raves/Questions? I just discovered that I'm at 100 days to go as of today, and I am so not prepared for that. 

In all honesty, I have no idea yet. I do have a year mat leave though, so I'm not too worried. DH would like me to run his construction business office-wise next year instead of me going back to my current job. This way I can work from home and not have to worry about full time daycare for the baby and before/after school care for DD. I'm not 100% sold on this yet because I love having my own career and being out of the house. We shall see how this year goes for his business - we are on Year 2, and we'll see how well it supports DH actually taking an income from it before we decide if it can handle giving us both incomes. 

Bonus: 
    Being able to drop off and pick up my DD from school, and possibly even being able to volunteer in the classrooom and on field trips. I have extreme mommy guilt over not being the one for school drop offs/pick ups....and never being able to volunteer on class trips. 
    BabyFruit Ticker

Married 8 years - Aug 23/08
    DD - 6 years old, March 17/11
    #2 due July 19th! (It's a boy!)
  • How far along are you? 27 weeks 2 days

Upcoming appointments this week? Didn't pass my glucose screen so have the 3-hour GTT tomorrow morning. Have to come to work fasting, drink the drink, blood drawn 8am, then run back and forth from work to 9am, 10am, and 11am blood draws before I can eat. Not looking forward to it and not looking forward to having to actually work between draws!

Any new symptoms or changes? Nope, all good in the neighborhood.

Rants/Raves/Questions? Not quite a rant but Braxton Hicks are so weird! Can't get used to the feeling when everything gets rock hard.

I'll have 3 mos and then my husband will have 5 weeks. After that, my mom will stay with us for two months and we'll start full-time daycare next January. My mom is super easy to live with and stayed with us for a month before when I was going through cancer treatment so not worried about that part. Still trying to figure out how logistics of daycare dropoff and pickup will work! Both my husband's and my hours can be long and at times unpredictable so there's going to be a lot of juggling! And we may need to get a second car.

Bonus: 
    Ditto on the cuddling! I can't wait for this little guy to be on the outside so I can hold him. I'm glad there's been a bunch of articles lately about how you can't spoil a baby because I plan on a whole lot of snuggling. Also, being able to drink wine like a normal person again!
  • clioclio member
    How far along are you? 27+5

Upcoming appointments this week? Nope!

Any new symptoms or changes? None that I can think of except that baby has been super active lately.

Rants/Raves/Questions? Not today!

When my semester starts up again in September, baby will be in daycare approx. 2 days/week and our DD will be in 3 days/week. DH and I are spacing out sick leave so that we are each home with them 1-1.5 days/week. Our daycare schedule will resume to either 4 days/week or full-time starting at the end of January. I'm pretty stoked about the setup.

Bonus: What are you most looking forward to on mat leave? 
    Can I just be honest and say I'm actually a little more frightened by mat leave than excited? It's just that 2 kiddos at one time by myself seems overwhelming. Of course, I cannot WAIT for the baby snuggles. I also look forward to long stroller rides, trips to the zoo, and seeing the two of them interact as siblings.
  • you lucky Canadian ducks! 

How far along are you?
    25 weeks

Nope

Nope

Rants/Raves/Questions?
    Sweet tooth is raging! that is a rant and a rave :) 

No idea, and I'm in one of those areas where basically everything is up in the air until I get a spot somewhere. Anyone else? It is a complete crap shoot - I have this one on maybe 5 waiting lists but those waiting lists dont go in order - it's just all based on availability and the gap a child leaves when they move on either to the next class or moves away, etc. 
    In the meantime, we're building a little in-law unit in our backyard that our in-laws or my parents can stay in. Both sets are retired and willing to stay and watch the baby until an opening comes up... I think. 

Bonus: 
    I will work out, dammit. I WILL be that mom! 
    ... or, not. But I am looking forward to getting back in an exercise routine and maybe try and disconnect from work. I'm going to start applying to jobs as soon as baby is born, so definitely looking forward to that and trying to get my resume in order before then. 
  • How far along are you?  25 weeks 1 day

Upcoming appointments this week?  Nope

Any new symptoms or changes?  Having trouble sleeping.  Feeling really moody and stressed out. 

Rants/Raves/Questions?  Made an appointment to get our car seat installation checked in mid-June.  That is my big baby-related accomplishment of the day.

Will need to find full time care.  I don't think I can afford a live-out nanny.  My MIL knows someone who uses this lady that leaves near me that runs a childcare out of her home.  She supposedly is licensed and takes 4-5 toddlers and 1 infant.  Right now, it's either that or a regular daycare facility that is 3x the price.

Bonus: 
    My mom visiting and getting to spend time with her first grandchild.  She's missed out on a lot of the pregnancy, and I can't wait for her to get to spend some quality time with the baby.
  • How far along are you? 24w 5d 

Upcoming appointments this week? Wednesday! I get another look at her since they couldn't see a couple things at the AS!

Rants/Raves/Questions? I was thinking about this thread the other day cause I'm starting to get stressed about training someone else! My boss hasn't mentioned it and no one else knows how to do my job. I'm setting up a meeting with her in the next couple weeks to set up a plan though.

I haven't done anything honestly. Our in home daycare doesn't have an opening for DD2 right now. We have a lot of daycares around and only the super fancy/expensive ones have waitlist, which we can't afford anyway! Ha! We plan on pulling DD out of the in home daycare once I'm home and situated after this baby comes and I'll start looking for a new one then. It'll give me 4 months which should be plenty of time. In the off chance that our in home daycare has an opening for DD2 by July, we'll keep going to her because we love her!! I can also take an extra 16 weeks of family time (unpaid) if we're having trouble finding someone and I need more time at home.

Bonus: 
    I'm with you @clio! The thought of being exhausted from taking care of a newborn and then chasing a toddler around all day is scaring the crap out of me. H will be in police academy so I'll be on my own mostly. My mom and sister will be around to help but they work too, so during the day I'll have no one to rely on. I am looking forward to getting to spend quality time with both of my girls and getting to do fun summer activities that I normally wouldn't be able to, or would have to cram into the weekend though! 

• How far along are you? 27 + 5

Upcoming appointments this week? I have my 28 week appointment tomorrow. I'm curious to see what the 3rd trimester appointments entail. 

Any new symptoms or changes? my belly button is changing! 

Rants/Raves/Questions? so I'm one of those weirdos who HATES having her belly button touched. Like I can't stand it. And now that my belly is stretching, my innie is flattening out. I don't know what I'm going to do if/when it pops! 

I've talked my mom into being my daycare 4 days a week for months 3-6. (Im hoping to work from home one day a week). After that I hope to have a daycare/preschool from 6 months on. I know I'm already behind since I haven't really started the search...the cost alone gives me heartburn. 

Bonus: 
    I'm honestly looking forward to my husbands 2.5 week paternity leave. As a FTM, the thought of having to handle those first couple weeks home from the hospital are so scary that I'm looking forward to having him by my side day and night. He makes me feel stronger. 
  • How far along are you? 28+2

Upcoming appointments this week? nope

Rants/Raves/Questions?

Canadian so have a year.  Currently the plan is to be a SAHM after mat leave and do some of the admin work for DH's company.  DS is in a great hybrid preschool/daycare so we plan to keep him there 1 or 2 days per week as well as send this LO.  DS loves it and it's really good for him so I can use those days to work or get caught up around the house.

Bonus: 
    Spending lots of time with the kids and getting back to the routine I had last May leave that helped keep the house and our lives running smooth.  
  • How far along are you?
    28 + 3
    The big GD test.
    Anxiety man.  I started downloading meditation apps aimed at pregnancy.  I'm trying out Mind The Bump now.
    Rants/Raves/Questions?

LO is on a waiting list for a place we really like with a start date a month to two months before we actually need.  It's a competitive area, so if we don't get in right away, MIL may watch him for a while.  Hopefully we'll get in.

Bonus: 
    We are planning to go away for two weeks at the end.  I'm hoping to spend it in Hawaii. 
  • How far along are you? 24+6

Upcoming appointments this week? Yes, today

Rants/Raves/Questions? This pregnancy my clients are being so much more respectful! 

If I get in to grad school, I will quit work. DD &DS will be with me during the day and DH during class 2 nights a week. IDK if I don't get in. I was able to work part-time for a year after DS was born, so he was with MIL the first year for 3 hrs a day. I am not comfortable putting a newborn in full-time daycare. Work will not allow part-time now. 

Bonus: 
    What are you most looking forward to on mat leave? More time to spend with DS and DD! If I do get into school, I will quit my job about 3weeks before the due date. I am so excited to have that time home with DS before DD arrives. Last pregnancy, I worked up to the day of..
    my water broke at work. I so hope to have time at home before baby, but won't take it in order to save all FMLA for PP if I have to return to work 
  • How far along are you? 26w2d

Upcoming appointments this week? Nope

Any new symptoms or changes?  We went to a trailside zoo yesterday, and I got out of breath pretty badly, which could totally have been exacerbated by my sinus infection, and my lower back was screaming by the end of the day.  Apparently, I've entered the phase where I actually cannot do all of the things I think I can.  Despite working out three times a week (for most weeks), I'm still not as strong as I want to be, and I have to start taking it easy.  As an independent and stubborn person, this is very difficult for me.  It is also different from last time, when I was fixing the riding lawnmower at 7 months pregnant...

Rants/Raves/Questions?  See above

My sister's mother-in-law is a babysitter, and watches several children (including my nephew and niece).  We sent DS to her, and we will send this little girl there, too.  It's nice and homey, and she treats our kid like another grandkid, so it works well.  She is also very reasonably priced and convenient.  DH doesn't work, and is home on disability, but we are both nervous that handling a newborn would be too much for him, and his disability would interfere with her getting proper care.

Bonus: 
    Not to sound ungrateful, but mat leave falls right in the middle of my summer vacation (teacher, here), so I don't really get one.  I got back to school when the next year starts in September.  It's a little annoying because the pregnancy and newborn stages makes it so we can't really go away for the summer, like we normally do.  Staycation, it is.  I'm already looking for camps or other activities for DS, so he still has fun and isn't resentful that the new baby ruined everything, lol.  And so I can have some minutes...we're going to be sleepy.
  • How far along are you? 24+2 (I think?)

Upcoming appointments this week? Today and everything went well. Glucose testing next appt.

Any new symptoms or changes? Nope

Rants/Raves/Questions? Boss originally told me he was going to be doing this project because I don't have experience doing it and it is larger than any that our company has had to do before, but he recently changed his mind because he is too busy. I have been doing two jobs for the past 3 months because of a retirement in our department that he knew about but didn't plan for and now the new hire just started so I am doing the training as well on top of doing my own job and the other... I know he's busy, but I am too and now he's dropped it on me and they want it done ASAP.

Mother-in-law is our child care provider so not a lot of preparation needed. Our two year old will be home part time with me and her new sister during maternity leave, but we still need to plan out how the time will be split.

Bonus: 
    Getting to spend more time with both my girls, but I am a little nervous about handling an attention needy toddler and newborn at once by myself.