November 2017 Moms
Options

Unsolicited Pregnancy Advice - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

I just got my first piece of totally unsolicited bad pregnancy advice, and a good friend who has a toddler chuckled and told me "Just wait. They'll ALL come out of the woodwork soon enough." 

So since that's something to look forward to, what are YOUR experiences with unsolicited pregnancy advice? Was it just completely off the mark? Surprisingly useful? Hilariously bad? This is the place for it! Bonus points if it was some rando in the grocery store or a teenaged relative-of-a-friend on FB letting you in on some super secret pregnancy wisdom you surely could not have acquired from your doctor. Extra bonus points if someone has ever given you pregnancy advice when you were NOT pregnant and/or not even actively trying to get pregnant.
Me: 32 Husbando: 49
Married Since: 7/29/2012
omgosh 

Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Unsolicited Pregnancy Advice - The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly

• Loading the player...
  • Options
    @Tourmalily oh right, silly me, I forgot  ;)

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @emucoleman I always thought that was such a mean-spirited thing to say. Like, instead of acknowledging that parenting is hard and there are ups and downs, I feel like some people try to make it sound as f***ing horrible as possible and then follow that up with "BUT IT'S ALLLLLLLL WORTH IT". And I just feel like that's just a really mean thing to say, especially since you don't know who might wind up suffering PPD and not actually believing "it's worth it" because of hormonal disruptions. Why can't we just be supportive of each other and have empathy for new parents, rather than have this weird hazing ritual we do??
    Me: 32 Husbando: 49
    Married Since: 7/29/2012
    omgosh 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Confession: I was probably the super annoying little sister giving unsolicited advice to my sisters about their kids  (although, at least sometimes it was asked for).
    What really drove me crazy was my sister would always tell DH and I (super condescendingly), "just wait, you'll see when you have your own" like it was some kind of excuse for why her kids were behaving badly.
    TW
    Me: 33 DH: 32
    Started Dating: 2003 Married: 2013
    Started TTC August 2016
    BFP: 2/1/17 MC: 2/8/17
    BFP: 3/8/17 MMC: 5/1/17
    BFP: 7/23/17 EDD: 4/5/18
    BFP: 2/27/20

• Options
    @Tourmalily Seriously!! You definitely summed it up. And people always cackle like it's some hilarious joke...when to the poor mom-to-be it sounds like she's about to get thrust into the fiery depths of hell. I think people forget how difficult and emotional moms can be during pregnancy and postpartum--they just need love and understanding, not sarcasm. 
    Nov 17 BMB May Siggy Challenge: Mother's Day Fails

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options

@cmessamore  My cousin that has 4 DDs posted this article about having kids of all the same gender. I know you have DD from your H but thought it might resonate with what you were saying above. https://community.today.com/parentingteam/post/yes-all-of-my-kids-are-the-same-gender-what-i-wish-you-knew

Regardless of of their gender, you love your kiddos and they are still individuals! 
  • Options
    @2Dash that is definitely good advice!! 
  • Options

@kaitlinliz Uggg I hate the whole "perfect timing" thing. I'll admit, DH and I thought that way ourselves when we first got married but realistically we just needed a year or so to be married and that was our own choice. I hated it when our parents talked about us waiting a few years. We started TTC after 18 months but we were just over 2 years married once we got the BFP. We realized with his military career there will never be a perfect time. Also I'm one of 4 and want 3-4, DH is one of 3 and wants 2-3 so it'll probably be 3 for us too (as much as you can plan I suppose)

@jess0211 I told my dad and his gf that I haven't had any MS and she's adamant that it doesn't start until the 2nd tri and that I'll get it....and of course she has a magical cure for it. 

Me: 25 DH: 29, Married 1/1/2015
    DS 11/2/2017
    TTC since August 2018

• Options
    @bklynchica No idea. She doesn't like seafood, so I'm guessing she didn't pay attention to the limiting high mercury fish part, and just heard no fish. Even if it was swordfish, still better than eating 20 cupcakes as my meal. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

• Options
    I agree 100% with @Tourmalily
  • Options
    @slaven exactly! I mean this is probably the worst time for us to get pregnant as we're in the process of getting new insurance. DH just got out of the military and neither of our benefits from our new jobs have kicked in yet. But his will by the time I'm 12 weeks so it works out fine for us, just scary if something happens before then. But that doesn't make me think this is wrong or shouldn't have happened. I'm over the moon excited about it and we will make it work. It's no ones business but ours. Of course he listens to everyone and goes "see this is why we need to wait" um nooooo...he was shocked but is definitely excited/getting used to the idea, helped me pick out items to tell our parents with today too. 
  • Options
    @bcashaw slap them all! Babies come when they're supposed to. I've been off the pill for 6 months now...it happened between 4-5 months of "trying". I say it like that cuz I was charting everything - Dr wanted me to because I've had medical issues which is why I was on the pill in the first place. DH wasn't ready so it was up to him if he didn't want it to happen (definitely didn't try too hard to stop it lol) so I will say I was pleasantly surprised that it happened "so fast". It felt like a lifetime for me but 5 months is rather quick and I was definitely shocked..I was so sure it was gonna take us forever. 
  • Options
    @megankth I can't stand that either! So far no one knows so they can't ask but I'm pretty sure his family will ask. My mom asked my best friend (it's a long story with that one) and if it was anyone else I would have been offended for her but given her circumstances we needed to know. She says it wasn't planned but I feel differently about it. Anyway, ours was. We weren't expecting it to happen so quickly, but I was charting and testing because I have medical issues and while I'm not "old" I'm older than where I'd like to have started especially with all my problems. So I'll be very angry if anyone asks. I kno they will because DH was very open about not wanting any yet (I think it's his way of putting up a front for people, cuz he's very excited now)

Sorry for the book. 
  • Options
    @megankth that's the worst, or when you tell someone and they go "whoops! Well, you'll love them anyways" like, you have NO CLUE