August 2017 Moms

Hospital Bag

Re: Hospital Bag

• dma0389dma0389 member
    I'm looking for tips and reading everyone's posts to this thread. When I had DS in 2014, he came out at 36 weeks (Wednesday) I washed everything of his on Monday. We were supposed to pack our bags that week but he came out early and never got to it.  Luckily the hospital is 3 miles away from our home so my Mom was kind to head to our home with DH to grab & pack things while I was being administered to my room and being hooked up. 

This time around I am packing at 30 weeks and staging everything where it is visible so it can be grabbed. That was so stressful, I've never been so unprepared in my life. But hey it worked out fine.

Check with your hospitals because mine gave me those spray bottle things for water, the thick pads, and disposable underwear. They also provided all DS diapers, tons of packaged wipes, and the generic hospital swaddles. This time around I'm bringing extras just in case, never know.

Since DH stayed with me for the two nights he said the couch/bed in the room wasn't comfortable. So this time around he's bringing those egg crate things then putting his comforter on top. Also bring your own fav. pillow(s) in a colored pillow sheet so you can distinguish between the hospitals and yours. 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @dma0389 I would have never thought about colored pillow cases and was so glad our birthing class instructor recommended that.  

Other things I found helpful:
        Makeup wipes since I knew I wouldn't be able to get up for a while  (scheduled c section)

Dry shampoo so I could freshen up my hair without having to go through the whole process of washing, drying, and styling

My own pajamas with button down top for nursing and my own robe to feel more human.  

Slippers for when you get up and walk. I got flip flop style so I could put them on without bending over. 

For going home I brought maternity yoga pants and a nursing tank.

When you have a c section you still bleed, but sometimes not as heavily because they clean you out pretty good during the procedure so when I went home I was good with the hospital pad and granny panties and didn't need the mesh ones anymore. Bring a couple pairs of undies just in case.  

I've read people are worried about last minute items such as toiletries but not wanting to use the hospital ones. I bought a new toothbrush and travel containers of shampoo, conditioner, mouthwash, toothpaste, and deodorant so it was all packed. All I had to grab was my charger and pillow.  

Last time I didn't bring my pump or nursing pillow because birthing class instructors and hospital tour guides made me paranoid about bringing too much stuff. I'm taking it this time. I figure my insurance and I are paying for me to be there and I'll bring what I want within reason.

For baby I brought his coming home outfit in my bag. I brought his diaper bag just in case but left it in the car along with his infant carrier which we got out at discharge. The hospital supplied kimono type shirts and socks for baby. He was swaddled and didn't need pants.  I loved the kimono tops and plan to buy some this time. I see a lot of people say they are bringing sleepers (footie pajamas) but those wouldn't have worked at our hospital with the alarm on DS's ankle. Also, if you let them wear the hospital stuff that's less you have to wash when you get home. Our hospital used pampers which leaked awful on DS and he soaked a lot of blankets and socks. It was so much easier to just have the nurse bring a new set and launder the others at the hospital.  
  • Loading the player...
  • When my best friend delivered her third baby her DH brought a full sized air mattress for the room. It was brilliant, although I was shocked they allowed it! 
  • @mrsmatt1212 that's hilarious! He was a pro by the 3rd time!
    DS1: 8/2012 <3 DS2  8/2017 <3 DS3 10/2018 

• JWatt5JWatt5 member
    This is the list that they just gave me in the Registration Package. I think it's pretty much been covered but there was a couple things (like the meds - I'm pretty sure I would have just taken the baggie of meds I already have in my purse).
    I'm going to take a couple newborn gowns (open elastic end on it, easy for changing). The make up remover wipes/dry shampoo are a great suggestion!! Just ordered a couple boxes of the Natracare Maternity Pads (they are supposedly great for freezing as well) https://well.ca/products/natracare-maternity-pads_9447.html?gclid=CJXuqcLVjdQCFVG4wAod4UoKhA
    Also going to take my pump and leave it in the car - I've been told they'll supply you with one if you need it but if you have your own then the lactation consultant can help you learn how to properly use it. 

Me: 37 DH: 37 - Married 10.2015 ❤️ Canadian 
    DX: Endometriosis - Stage 4, DOR, RPL
    TTC #1 07.2015
    03.2016 - Natural BFP - MC 5w4d
    04.2016 - Natural BFP - Chemical
    10.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = IUI Cancelled (cyst/no mature follicle)
    11.2016 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFP, EDD 08.2017 - It's a BOY!
    TTC #2 06.2019
    08.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #1 = Chemical
    09.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #2 = BFN
    10.2019 - IUI w/ Injections #3 = BFN
    01.2020 - IUI w/ Injections #4 = BFN
    08.2020 - Natural BFP - MC 9w5d
    11.2020 - IVF Retrieval - 3AB & 4BB
    05.2021 - FET #1 = BFP, EDD 02.2022 - It's a BOY!

• @JWatt5 I'm hoping to use gowns this time, they're so convenient. DS could never wear them, little stinker was so long they came up to his shins 
  • tova24tova24 member
    So I totally can't sleep and am nesting hardcore (just put car seat in car). I made my hospital bag list and it's super long! I plan on bringing a backpack (clothes, toiletries), baby bag, and IKEA bag to fit boppy and my pillow from home. Car seat will be in car and stroller in the trunk. Pouch hotel has a shuttle service that can pick up my dog and take him to his "vacation."
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    edited May 2017
    Maxi dresses are definitely important to pack in case of a c section (or planned c section). Much more comfortable than yoga pants due to the incision. And take all of the sexy mesh undies
    BabyFruit Ticker

#1 - DD: 7/5/12
    #2 - DS: 5/21/14
    #3 - EDD: 8/25/17

• @tova24 - I don't blame you at all for nesting! But just remember that if you get into a fender bender with the carseat in the car, you're likely going to have to replace the carseat. I think it's any accident over 5mph or something (even if the carseat itself isn't harmed).
  • @dma0389 great tip on the colored pillow case!
    Pregnancy Ticker
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • tova24tova24 member
    Question: I know some of you are thinking of belly binding or using a postpartum belly bandit, do you pack that in your hospital bag? How do you know what size you'll be after birth? 
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @tova24, I don't think I packed that last time (with my vbac) and just ordered one through Amazon after getting home. With my cesarean section, I was given an ab binder in the hospital and just used that while there and at home.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• tova24tova24 member
    @OTmom3 that makes sense! I'm so bad when it comes to sizing. I bought a nursing tank top (just 1) the other day and don't know if it'll fit by the time LO comes. Makes sense to just buy postpartum stuff after birth. 
  • C-section ladies, any recommendations for cheap but comfortable underwear to wear in the first few weeks?  I have had terrible allergic reactions to the mesh ones at the hospital.  I brought higher waisted ones with me last time in case I had another bad reaction to the mesh ones, but I'm not sure whether super low cut underwear would be better with the incision.  Any particular brands that you liked?
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • @MetsGirl18 I bought these SUPER attractive undies for after my c-section and they worked great!
  • OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @MetsGirl18 I literally just stole A LOT of the underwear from the hospital and washed and wore it for a very long time. They were awesome
    BabyFruit Ticker

• Did anyone have a bag size/type they liked? I was thinking small duffel-like 20" or so. Our hospital said you want a bag and pillowcase that is easy to ID. I want to bring a few changes of clothes, breast pump, pillow/case, flip flops, travel toiletries, a few snax/pineapple juice, boppy can go on top of bag, I want space in the bag for all the hospital goodies I can possibly take. 

I put DH in charge of electronics/ chargers and his own stuff. Baby we will have a small bag w. outfit/ cute swaddle for pix, book to get footprints in.
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • tova24tova24 member
    @smallbutmighty77my friend told me to bring a big IKEA bag for my boppy and pillow/ all the stuff you are going to sneak out of the hospital. Other than that, I'm just bringing my backpack for me, and baby bag for LO. 
  • I took a medium size duffle bag (black and white polka dots) with DS. It was all my stuff and a few other things for him. Diaper bag was left in the car. I didn't take my boppy or pump last time, but will this time. I need to figure out what to put that in.  Regarding hospital freebies, they gave me a bag for that, but you could probably bring one of those reusable grocery bags or something else that folds down small to put it in. I have this really cool beach bag from old navy that folds into a pocket when not in use, I brought that for dirty clothes. 
  • @sweeter_family_begins
    Use this thread to help you get started with a hospital bag.

Pregnancy Ticker

• I'm pretty obsessed with YouTube "what I packed in my hospital bag" vlogs even though I'm pretty set on my list and how I'm packing. 
  • I started packing my bag yesterday. Went to Target and got the cutest pineapple print toiletries bag, extra toiletries, some cute cotton button down jammies with shorts, new granny panties, and pads. Toiletries and my slippers are in the bag already. Jammies and undies are getting washed and packed today. 
  • tova24tova24 member
    A couple items the doula who taught my birthing class suggested: tennis ball and peanut ball/birthing ball. She said the tennis ball is great for applying counter pressure during contractions and the peanut ball lets you get in all kinds of positions. 
  • @tova24 The nurse who taught our class also recommended the tennis ball.

The hospital usually provides a peanut ball (at least mine does). She did say they reserve them for women who got an epidural since they don't have the option to be walking around/getting in as many different positions. 

Pregnancy Ticker
  • When my best friend delivered her third baby her DH brought a full sized air mattress for the room. It was brilliant, although I was shocked they allowed it! 

DH & I are seriously considering this. My mom will keep our 3 other kids during the procedure, but DD probably won't stay at her house. It's either we bring an air mattress where DH & DD can sleep, or send them home & be alone in the hospital with our newborn.  
  • mia080mia080 member
    @morgy_bee -- me too! i totally get sucked in to the vortez of "what's in my hospital bag" "newborn/baby must haves" and "what i regret buying" videos
  • @PinkPrincessPiper I'm actually thinking of sending DH home at night so he can keep DD in her routine. She just turned 1, and finally is in a good nighttime routine, so i'm hopeful that will help keep her on a schedule. I'd rather be alone for a night or 2 and have a happy toddler. Plus, I can send baby to the nursery if I need to.
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • @aehogan90 I'm sure DD would be much happier at home. I think DH & I need to discuss it soon and decide. I'm just going to hate being alone (beside baby) when all those PP hormones hit!  :'(
  • @PinkPrincessPiper totally understand. If she was a bit older, it would be different. I just need a rested husband. Who knows, we are so fly by the seat of our pants, our plan and execution may be different.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @aehogan90 My DD is 20 mos, but she still doesn't want to sleep anywhere besides her crib, with a warm bottle, 2 muslin blankets that are her security blankets, and a binky in her hand for when she's done with the bottle. She's such a diva! I'll probably suck it up & send them home. Our house is 20mins from the hospital, so it won't be that bad.

With a 13mo old, I would definitely stick to her schedule at home. Toddlers are such stinkers! 
  • @PinkPrincessPiper she does sound like a diva haha. Whatever you decide, you'll make it work! 
    Pregnancy Ticker

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @aehogan90, I sent DH home at night to be with DD too when DS was born. She was only 22 months and even though my ILs were staying at our house too it was nice to have him there with her and I honestly just didn't feel like i needed him staying there and being uncomfortable in the chair next to me. I did put both of my babies in the nursery at night and just had the nurse bring the baby to me after 2-3 hours. Made for extremely short little cat naps but I slept a little better knowing that I had a little uninterrupted sleep before going home.
    BabyFruit Ticker

• @OTmom3 good to hear it worked for you. That's exactly what I figured I would do. DD will be 15 months old. If he's totally against my idea, I am happy for him to go home to put her to sleep and then for my mom or his mom to stay at our house overnight. But I'm also not against putting baby in the nursery. I just hate for him to have to be uncomfortable all night. Plus DD had jaundice so we were in the hospital an extra 2 days. It's just one of those things we will have to loosely plan and then assess when we're actually there.
    Pregnancy Ticker

• OTmom3OTmom3 member
    @aehogan90, yeah I totally agree you can just wait and see how it goes once you're there. Sounds like a good plan though!
    BabyFruit Ticker

• My husband will go home too. We are only maybe 2 miles from the hospital. I didn't sleep much at all in the hospital. It was so loud and the thought of sending the baby to the nursery freaked me out. I had some major anxiety and couldn't sleep without being right next to her. So I pretty much held her for the first 3 days unless DH or family was there.
  • @SouthernMama15 I got that bag but with stripes! Just washed the button up top and two pairs of loose pj bottoms, also got travel size toiletries.
    Still need the undies, nursing stuff and a very obvious pillowcase. Also need the home care/pp stuff. We have some time next weekend and some I will get off amazon. Also want to find a cute coming home/swaddle outfit. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • @aehogan90 DH went home at night too.  He stayed over 2 of the nights with DS1, but was so uncomfortable in the cot that he barely slept.  I figured it was better for at least one of us to be rested once we came home.  He didn't stay over at all with DS2 and won't stay over this time.  My parents will be around to help with the kids, but DH is much better about enforcing bedtime and making sure they're out of the house on time in the morning.  

I sent both kids to the nursery at night so I could rest a little and recover from surgery.  They brought them back in when it was time to eat.  The hospital now has a rooming in policy, but in talking with my doctor, it looks like I'll still be able to do something similar.  I'll need to recover and the first few days are really tough to move around much even to get in and out of bed or to the bathroom let alone take care of a newborn by myself.
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers Lilypie First Birthday tickers
  • I can't remember if this was mentioned (and I'm not reading back through them again). But, of you want your LO's footprints on anything like a "baby book," take it with you!

***TW in Siggy***
    Me: 34 / DH: 33
    Married: Nov 2011
    TTC #1: Jan 2013, BFP Sept 2013, DD: June 2014
    TTC #2: Aug 2016, BFP Nov 2016, DS: August 2017
    BabyFetus Ticker

• bumpybump said:
    I can't remember if this was mentioned (and I'm not reading back through them again). But, of you want your LO's footprints on anything like a "baby book," take it with you!
    Our hospital nursery did the cutest card with DS's feet and paint and made it look like a butterfly. It was so precious.