UO Thursday - Page 2 — The Bump
Trying to Get Pregnant

UO Thursday

2»

Re: UO Thursday

• kiwi2628kiwi2628
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Fourth Anniversary Name Dropper
    edited March 2017
    @cait32-2    According to the local kitchen store where I live (when I started looking into re-doing the kitchen) and a quick google search through a few sites, what I said about hot things is correct:

'Can I put hot pans or cut without a cutting board on quartz?
    Although quartz is very scratch resistant, we do recommend using a cutting board on your quartz countertop. A hot pot or pan can potentially lead to discoloration, we suggest using a trivet to maintain the quality of your countertop.'

Also, you can put hot things on granite (also per kitchen store and google searches)
    ': Granite is ideal for kitchens because under normal conditions it will not burn and it will not be harmed by hot pans or open flames, but the stone will absorb heat from hot trays. Marble should not be used in kitchens as excessive heat can cause damage and potentially leave scars or burn marks.'

Although apparently you can cut on quartz. The not-cutting part is clearly just my friends neurotic mom, lol
    Started TTC #1 August 2016
    Diagnosed Unexplained IF/Poor Responder
    6 med/IUI cycles failed
    IVF #1 December 2017- canceled d/t poor response
    IVF #2 January 2018- 4 frosties and a BFP! 
    DS born Sept 2018
    Baby #2 Due Feb 2020

• @JJMNO1616 All of the reasons you list are exactly why we bought our house.

You know, this kitchen conversation has actually been great considering we just started an impromptu kitchen remodel thanks to a leaking garbage disposal... Definitely NOT ON the agenda for the year, but I'm looking on the bright (shiny new kitchen) side.

Our counters are granite and were put in in 08... I'm really crossing my fingers that they didn't break when they were pulled out earlier today. However, apparently it's super likely that they will actually crack because granite is fragile and is not made to come out whole once it's been put in :(

On the other hand, I am more than happy to see our dishwasher from literally probably the 80's and our cabinets that are original to the house...that was built 40 years ago...gtfo.
    Me: 30 H: 34
    NTNP: 03/2015-05/2015
    TTC #1: 06/2015...
    Dx: MFI, ovulatory dysfunction
    IVF ER: 11/2017 - 6 on ice
    FET: 01/2018 = BFP - EDD 10/5

breezybeeJJMNO1616
  • Loading the player...
  • cait32cait32
    2500 Comments 500 Love Its Third Anniversary First Answer
    edited March 2017
    gotcha @kiwi2628 ... I just went through this and our kitchen store made it very clear that we could do anything on the man made quartz but granite will stain and scratch easily if not sealed (and sealed again at various intervals) and that's been the case since installing it in our tenant unit. My parents also have quartz that is totally fine w/heat, doesn't scratch or stain. Maybe your store is different...didn't mean to cause an issue, but I saw it and thought I'd provide that link. From looking a bit more, it looks like granite wins on heat but quartz wins on scratch/stain resistance because its less porous (it never needs to be sealed but granite does).

PS I have marble and love it even though its high maintenance.
    [spoiler]
    DSS 03/2006
    DD 07/2017
    DS EDD: 1/30/19
    [/spoiler]
  • @cait32-2 yes! No maintenance is my jam
    Jan '18 December Signature Challenge: Christmas Movies

Pregnancy Ticker

DS1: Nov 2013
    DS2: Jan 2016
    DS3 is on the way!
  • @cait32-2 no issue! I will debate kitchens all day! I have a massive kitchen board on pinterest and am counting down the days until we can re-do ours (396!! Not even kidding). From my research it seems like some kitchen stores recommend one over the other. Some people have quartz that cant take heat while others seem to have no problem. For me, sealing the granite once every year or two is NBD for the durability of granite. I would loooove marble but that is where my laziness takes over, lol
    Started TTC #1 August 2016
    Diagnosed Unexplained IF/Poor Responder
    6 med/IUI cycles failed
    IVF #1 December 2017- canceled d/t poor response
    IVF #2 January 2018- 4 frosties and a BFP! 
    DS born Sept 2018
    Baby #2 Due Feb 2020

• My UO is that I can't stand Sam Hunt and if one of his "songs" comes on the radio, I will immediately change the station.  What he does isn't singing, it's talking along with music.  Like literally just talking!  I'm pretty sure he has minimal, if any, actual singing in his "songs"

"It's time to try defying gravity."

Me: 38  DH: 38
    Married 6/11/16
    TTC Since 6/2016
    12/2016 RE appt; 1/2017 SA & HSG results - all normal
    3/2017 Dx Hyperprolactinemia; 5/2017 Prolactin levels normal; 8/2017 Low Ovarian Reserve
    8/2017 TTA for personal reasons; 10/2017 NTNP; 12/2017 Re-start TTC
    7/2018 Clomid+IUI
    11/2018 Letrozole+TI
    12/2018 Letrozole+IUI
    2/2019 NTNP
    5/2019 Stopping all TTC efforts; living Childfree
    lavenderfields13Cricket648AvrilmaiNYTino24
  • @kiwi2628 Yeah I'm a quartz girl all the way
    KatieElpebbledam