November 2017 Moms

Blighted Ovum

Hi ladies,

I had my first ultrasound last Wednesday, 3/22, at what I thought was 6 weeks, 6 days (my LMP was 2/2). The ultrasound tech said that I was actually only 5 weeks, 1 day and to come back this Thursday, 3/30, for another ultrasound. My periods are typically every 23-25 days on average (closer to every 3 weeks rather than every 4 weeks).

This morning I was scheduled for my first intake appointment and when I saw the doctor, he said based on the dates I should be 7 weeks and not 5 weeks. He more or less told me this would end in a miscarriage and I likely had a blighted ovum but we will know more at this Thursday's ultrasound. I should note that they did see a small yolk sac, along with the gestational sac, on the ultrasound.

I last had sex on 2/14 and didn't have it again until the weekend of February 24-25th. I got a positive pregnancy test on 2/26 (which actually may have been earlier than my period would have been due). I am not positive but I believe I ovulated around 2/12 (I typically get mild cramping around my ovulation time, which I experienced on 2/12).

The next 3 days are going to be excruciating. I'm trying to stat positive but can't help fearing the worst. Is there anyone else who experienced something similar and everything wound up OK?

Thank you!!

Re: Blighted Ovum

• Stay positive! I unfortunately had something similar and mine ended in an early miscarriage. But when I was searching the web, I remember reading lots of good stories. Maybe the dates are wrong. Don't lose hope until you know for sure. thinking of you. 
  • Sending good vibes and hugs your way!! Please keep us posted!! 
  • Loading the player...
  • Keep us posted.
  • Thinking of you and hoping for the best for you!!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

• Just want to mention that I had a BO in the past and with me they only saw the yolk sac and never a fetal pole even after a couple weeks. I however waiting until 9 weeks just to be sure but then I started spotting so I kind of knew it was not meant to be. I also had no symptoms what so ever with the BO - like no pains in the uterus, no nausea, no frequent peeing, barely any breast soreness etc. the only thing I noticed was my whole body was boated. I just did not feel pregnant in any way. Only sharing this so that you get a sense of my exp. I think my advice to anyone would be to give it a chance and wait as much as you think you feel comfortable with and it looks like you are getting the right advice. All the best! 
  • m6aguam6agua member
    edited March 2017
    *lurking from November 2016*

ETA: I am sorry for what you are going through, waiting in limbo is the worst. It could be that you just ovulated later than you thought.

*TW*

My first pregnancy was a BO. Like @shepersisted said I had absolutely no symptoms. I had my 8 week appointment and everything was "fine" (my office doesn't do early u/s unless necessary). I started spotting at 10 weeks (very little) and had an u/s then that just showed the empty gestational sac measuring 6 weeks. I passed everything at 11 weeks.
    TTC#1 July 2015 
    • BFP: 9/16/15 — MC: 11/8/15 Blighted Ovum
    • BFP: 3/10/16 — Baby Girl born 11/20/16
    TTC#2 April 2019 
    • BFP: 9/12/19 — EDD 5/15/20

• Your dates sound identical to mine at this point. 

I've had a blighted ovum and it sucked. And waiting sucks. The whole thing. And that doc I went to was inept on top of it all. I think you just need to wait until tomorrow. I wish you the best and hope you get good news. When I had my BO, I def felt pregnant, not that it mattered. And I decided to wait until it passed naturally, which was a mistake. It passed at what would have been 12 weeks! and not all in one piece. But I didn't know anything then...
    *****Losses Mentioned*****BFP MENTIONED*****ALL WELCOME******ALL ABOARD!!

Me: 42, DH: 46, Married: 11/12
    Losses: MMC#1 11/12 BO, MC#2 11/13 at 8w BO?, MMC#3 8/14 chromo healthy M @12 weeks, stopped growing at 10.
    Negligible AMH, FSH finally went high. Pursued DE.

DD born at 38w2d on 5-27-16. Finally!!

Pregnant again with OE. EDD 11/9/17 Girl!

BabyGaga
  • Hi ladies,

Thank you for all of your kind words. I had my repeat ultrasound yesterday and the tech said "everything looks perfect - except there is no fetal pole." The sac measured at 1.4cm. This tech said that if there was a yolk sac it couldn't be a blighted ovum. Either way, there is still no fetal pole. I may have one more ultrasound done in a week or so but at this point I'm not holding out much hope.

On another note, the doctor I spoke with on Monday actually asked me if the baby was planned. It was not, but what difference does that make? I am upset regardless. I may find another doctor for the next ultrasound to get a second opinion. They haven't even drawn blood or checked by HCG levels at this point.

Best of luck to all of you for healthy pregnancies and babies!
  • @ctrischetti so sorry. I think getting a second opinion might be a good idea. I believe in doing what you need to until you feel sure. All the best and hugs mama. I'm side eyeing your dr who asked if the baby was planned. 
  • @ctrischetti I'm sorry you had to deal with that. Was it possible the doctor's totally socially inept way of asking how sure you were on your dates? Either way, the situation stinks. Hoping for good news coming your way.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • On another note, the doctor I spoke with on Monday actually asked me if the baby was planned. It was not, but what difference does that make? I am upset regardless. I may find another doctor for the next ultrasound to get a second opinion. They haven't even drawn blood or checked by HCG levels at this point.
    That was insensitive to ask you. Who cares if the pregnancy was planned or not! Even if it wasn't planned that doesn't mean you haven't already fallen in love. I'm hoping the next ultrasound goes well. I am so so sorry that you are stuck in limbo and then had to deal with that comment. 
  • cabbeeby-2cabbeeby-2 member
    edited April 2017
    First) can you change OBs? Yours doesn't sound like he has a good bedside manner and you are going to be seeing him a lot. 
    Second) with a second ultrasound it doesn't sound so good for you but as others said I would wait until I was very confident (at least 3 weeks after the first time when you measured 5w) before treating it.  We saw a sac at 6 weeks,  no fetal pole, no heartbeat and my OB said it looked like it was only 4-5w along. I was so worried that it was a Bo, because I knew that I really was 6 weeks.  Yesterday we measured right on schedule at 8w and saw a strong heartbeat.  I heard from someone who was diagnosed a blighted ovum and stopped progesterone treatments, then had another ultrasound and found that the baby had been growing, so that's why I say you want to be really confident. 

*edit*  I just re-read your info on the dates and you had to have conceived latest the 14th which actually puts you at 8w for the latest ultrasound. I also would not have much hope at this point, so sorry.  I still would get another ob.