June 2015 Moms

2nd Birthday Party - Plans? Family and close friends, or also daycare friends?

Our LO goes to daycare and we were invited to another kids 2nd birthday party recently. I was kind of surprised, but what do I know, this is my first child. :) For our LOs 2nd birthday I was just planning to invite family and close friends (like the first birthday) and have it at home (keep it old school while I still could I figure). This probably is early to ask, but what are you all thinking to do? For those of you who use a daycare or sitter where there are other kids, are you planning to invite the other kids to? Planning a party at home, or out somewhere?

I'm curious on how many people still have birthday parties at home now a days (I'm sure that varies from where you're from I'm sure and what you can afford). Also curious when people commonly start inviting other kids (outside family and kids of friends).

Re: 2nd Birthday Party - Plans? Family and close friends, or also daycare friends?

• We had a huge 1st birthday party at home for LO. We decided to have low key birthday parties until he turns 5. For his second birthday we just going to do pizza with immediate family. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BFP #1 12/23/13 MMC 01/24/14 @ 9w5days

Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers

• Dh and I decided before the 1st birthday that we would do trips for birthdays instead of parties. Nothing crazy, stuff like camping trips or waterparks or nearby amusement parks. Where we live right now there are a number of campgrounds that are good for kids, with splash pads, etc, so we're hoping to get the kid into this habit before he begins to understand the idea of having a party because it's someone's birthday. Once he asks for a party, we will let him decide between a trip or a party. Once he is older, if he has a bff and wants to bring the bff on a trip, I'm ok with that too. 
  • Loading the player...
  • We are just planning to have immediate family over for a BBQ and the pool for his second birthday. Definitely not the guest list we had for his first. I think we will start inviting friends when he is school age, right now my sister watches him while I'm at work mon-fri, so his friend group is really just made up of cousins :) 
  • I am due with #2 5 days before DDs birthday so we'll probably get a grocery store cake and eat it with whatever relatives are already in town to see the new baby.  All of our family is out of state and my closest friend here is due a week before me so I can't imagine she'll be in attendance this year.
  • I'm doing another big party for DS, similar to his first birthday: family, friends, and playdate friends over at our house for BBQ, cupcakes, and outdoor fun. We had about 40-50 people come through last year which was perfect. I'm due with another LO in late June, so DH has some concerns about me overworking myself, but I'm excited! Ordered the invitations on Vistaprint already for a party in early June. Going with a splash party theme. We have a big backyard and lots of water activities like a water table, a cool kiddie pool with floatie things in it and I'll stock the place with bubbles, another $40 kiddie pool I found on Amazon and probably fill a barrel with water balloons. I love planning and hosting parties!

I'm definitely planning to have joint parties for DS and DD in the coming years since she'll also be a June baby. 

Me: 31
         DH: 34
    Married 11/09/2013

LO#1: LMP 09/14/2014  BFP 10/15/2014  EDD 06/24/2015  DS Born 06/14/2015
    LO#2: LMP 09/18/2016  BFP 10/19/2016  EDD 06/27/2017 DD Born 06/27/2017
    LO#3: LMP 05/16/2018  BFP 06/18/2018  EDD 02/20/2019

• Sounds like fun @mrscalirn
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @KaLikeAWind, that sounds like a cool idea.  A nice way to build some family memories and different spin on how to celebrate the birthday.  My DH was telling me the other day that at some point (maybe middle school) his parents started giving him the option of having a party or just getting money.  He took the money.  :\

@MrsCaliRN, oooo, sounds like you have an excellent space for parties!  I was thinking it's nice to have the summer birthday because it frees up space to move the festivities outside and not just stuck with having everyone inside.
  • We are doing a forest preserve again since it has a nice kids play area but this time actually inviting people to join us since he has some "friends". No presents though and we are going to tell people to bring a picnic lunch. This is mostly because my sister is flying in for his birthday too. 
  • @janat1717, that's a cute idea!  And lots of room for kids to run around.
  • We decided for a pool party at the local recreation center. It's hot in Cali and my lo loves getting in the water. Can't believe our kids will be two next month. Where has the time gone? 
    Pregnancy Ticker