February 2017 Moms

Re: UO Thursday (3/16)

• I dunno if this more appropriate for tomorrow, but I have been lurking other birth boards and a) I have missed out on serious drama and I know just enough to know I want to know it all and b) this place has been so quiet lately I have a little envy of the drama. I mean, yeah, it sucks to have drama to go down, but at least the boards are bumping! Caring for a newbie is boring! I want the dramaz!!!
  • Where is this drama you speak of?? Needing to read some drama over here
  • Loading the player...
  • We don't do co-sleeping. It scares me and I don't want my kid to get used to sleeping in my bed. A certain someone (who is also on the bump so I won't mention by name) apparently does do co-sleeping. When she found out that not only do we not co-sleep, Kanan sleeps in his bassinet a few feet away from our bed, but that we are starting to make the transition to putting him in his own room...she looked at me like I was a horrible person. So I guess that's my UO, I don't see a problem with not allowing your baby/child in your bed and/or putting baby in his own room.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @BourbonBiscuits If you poke around July and August, you'll find it :)
  • Yeah, every 90 minutes is rough, that's why we haven't actually made the full transition yet. Right now he takes naps in his room, and sleeps in our room over night. Occasionally he'll only need 2 instead of 3 feedings over night. Once he's down to 2 on a regular basis, into his own room he goes!

Oh totally! I have a "you do you" stance on the whole thing as well. If you want to co-sleep, that's cool, it's just not for me.

ME: 25, DH: 27

TTC #1 since 09/2015

Miscarriage @ 10 wks 02/28/2016

BFP 05/28/2016!

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • ColeBug89ColeBug89 member
    edited March 2017
    I don't care if others co-sleep or not, (another "you do you" over here lol) but for our family personally it's just too risky. DH and I both move around too much and I would be terrified that one of us would roll over on DD or accidentally smother her. We room share for now and I'm perfectly content with that.

ETA: Holy drama! I'm at work ATM so I'll have to check it out more when I get home but from what I did read it sounds like crazy stuff in July/August lol
  • @poetryandoceans Thanks for the tip! I need some drama in my life right now
  • Co-sleeping, I'm terrified to do that unless its just me in the bed with a baby. And even then I don't have any reason for it, our little guy is in a cradle right next to the bed and that's just fine.

My husband and I disagree on weather or not room sharing with siblings is ok. I shared a room off and on with one of my sisters until I moved out, and I didn't think it was a big deal. My husband is on the fence but mostly against it. We have a 4 bedroom house and have been open to more children, but since all our rooms are full he's suddenly not sure. Who has the UO? I don't know lol
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I'm a little bit nervous to admit that I do bed share some nights. It's never for the full night though. Only when she gets up around 3 or 4 we will spend the rest of the night in the bed. I'm an extremely light sleeper and wake up any time she makes noises or moves around. And I make sure she doesn't have any blankets on her and is not swaddled when we do. I'm not a person who moves around a lot in my sleep either. Im trying to break that habit though because I do want her to sleep in her crib in her room at some point. Please dont flame me. It works for us.
  • I hardcore co-sleep. We started out with a snuggle nest that went in between H and I in the bed, but she hated it. I don't really have an opinion on those who don't. I actually figure those who don't will have an easier transition to their own room. Scarlett refused to sleep on her own from night one at home. She screamed relentlessly until I held her and she's been stuck on it ever since. I've grown to embrace the baby snuggles all night, even if it will be harder to transition later on. Either way, you do you homie. :)
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • kswiger06 said:
    Co-sleeping, I'm terrified to do that unless its just me in the bed with a baby. And even then I don't have any reason for it, our little guy is in a cradle right next to the bed and that's just fine.

My husband and I disagree on weather or not room sharing with siblings is ok. I shared a room off and on with one of my sisters until I moved out, and I didn't think it was a big deal. My husband is on the fence but mostly against it. We have a 4 bedroom house and have been open to more children, but since all our rooms are full he's suddenly not sure. Who has the UO? I don't know lol
    You want more kids but are hesitant for the sole reason of bedroom sharing? 
  • @sawyerrichardson we do pretty much the same thing - our little is in a bassinet next to our bed and then sometimes when she wakes up in the early morning at like 4 am I just pop her in bed with me for the rest of the night -- just because it was so easy for her to fall asleep and I'd get enough rest to function the next day! I think whatever works best for each family / no judgement over here!
  • homemake said:
    kswiger06 said:
    Co-sleeping, I'm terrified to do that unless its just me in the bed with a baby. And even then I don't have any reason for it, our little guy is in a cradle right next to the bed and that's just fine.

You want more kids but are hesitant for the sole reason of bedroom sharing? 
    We've been open to the idea of another, but not set either way. Our kids right now are like this DS- 10 years old DD- 8 years old, and DS just weeks old. My husband thinks if we were to have another, and it be a girl that our youngest being a boy and then hypothetical her, shouldn't share a room for any length of time. And he thinks that our older two are way to old to share a room with such younger siblings. So he's saying he's thinking it wouldn't work out and might be better to not have another vs. have the kids try to share rooms with the crazy age differences. Where I think it's not a big deal. Have the younger 2 share a room even if they are boy/girl and once our oldest moves out, separate the youngest ones.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • GretchypooGretchypoo member
    edited March 2017
    @scifichick09 we don't either. We're room sharing right now, but the little monster is so freaking loud we are counting down the days until we can switch him. Only reason we're not is that he's still feeding every 90 minutes at night, and I have no interest in trudging down the hall that often...

i think this is totally a 'you do you' thing, and people should park their sanctimony ponies outside. There are definitely ways to be sanctimonious about NOT co-sleeping, but usually the folks I see throwing shade in this debate are all on the co-sleeping, holier than thou parenting train.
    Eh. Idk about that. 
    Bed sharers get so much shade from people it's not even funny. Like being told we are risking our kids lives for a few measly hours of sleep
    If people are coming across as holier than thou it's probably being misconstrued, and they are feeling defensive. 
    Except for the suuuuuuuper crunchy moms. 
    Those bitches can be cray. 
    THIS. We co-sleep and I've been told I'm going to kill my kid and if she dies from SIDS it is all my fault. This is what works for my family, though. And FWIW I totally get not wanting to bedshare! You have to do what is good for your family.

Also, Sanctimony Pony is my new favorite phrase. stealing.
  • @kswiger06 It would be rough for a much older kid to share with a baby. But I agree with you- even if your next is a boy, who cares? Kids don't. 
  • @kswiger06 I am the 4th of 5 kids and there is an 8 year gap between me and my sister and I have a brother that's 2 years younger than me. I shared a room with her when my brother was a baby, but then he and I shared until my oldest brother went to college. So probably about 6-7. And it wasn't a big deal at all. By the time they would want more privacy, one of your older kids will probably/hopefully be out of the house
  • So my husband has the UO lol. @leslie1331 that's very similar to the possible scenario we could have, if we were to have another, so its nice seeing it can work and not be a big deal to the kids.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • I hardcore co-sleep. We started out with a snuggle nest that went in between H and I in the bed, but she hated it. I don't really have an opinion on those who don't. I actually figure those who don't will have an easier transition to their own room. Scarlett refused to sleep on her own from night one at home. She screamed relentlessly until I held her and she's been stuck on it ever since. I've grown to embrace the baby snuggles all night, even if it will be harder to transition later on. Either way, you do you homie. :)
    This was us with DS. We only co-slept for a month because I could tell he was ready to sleep on his own after that. He would wake up trying to make more room for himself which resulted in horrible nights for both of us and so when I transitioned him in the bassinet, he slept so much better. 

With DD, she sleeps very well in the bassinet. No need to co-sleep whatsoever.
  • edited March 2017
    I prolly should have mentioned that I live in a suuuuuper crunchy corner of the world. Like, the most popular baby boutique in my city doesn't even sell crib sheets because it doesn't match their parenting philosophy. Made me feel like a terrible mother because I know my anxiety would mean I'd get not a wink of sleep if I tried co-sleeping.

ETA Sorry if anyone took offence; I realize now that was a hardcore generalization on my part. I blame the every 90 minutes feeding all night thing I mentioned earlier. 
  • @kswiger06 FWIW my DH shared a room with BOTH of his older sisters (10 and 6 years older) at one point and everyone turned out just fine.
  • @poetryandoceans no worries! I'm pretty damn crunchy but I feel like everyone has to make their own parenting decisions. As long as you aren't abusing your child or doing something crazy like feeding them whiskey and soda from a bottle, I probably won't criticize you. 

I retain the right to quietly judge ppl from my high school from afar, though ;-)