Baby Names

The name Levi trendy and cool? Opinions welcome!

timtkc84timtkc84 member
edited March 2017 in Baby Names
Our baby is due on March 31, and we were thinking about using the name Levi for our baby boy.  The middle name we were thinking Bennett.  Reason for wanting to use Levi is because of the meaning, "attached" or "joined".  We love the idea of our baby being the extra glue to our bond.  We want to use Bennett because of the meaning, "blessed" because everything has been a blessing going forward.  Our last name rhymes with sia and is also two syllables.  Pronounced the same way as Sia the singer.  So Levi Bennett Sia?  How does it all flow together?  

Our only concern with the name Levi is that it makes people think of the jeans and are worried that our boy might get tease for that.  So we just want some opinions...Levi Bennett Sia...Yes or No?  We're also Asian, just throwing that out there...in case someone can't picture an Asian Levi and think it's a red flag.  lol

Re: The name Levi trendy and cool? Opinions welcome!

• It's a fine name. It's common enough that I doubt the Jean brand will be an issue. 
  • I think it's a good name, maybe somewhat trendy.  I wouldn't worry about the jeans or the fact that you're Asian. But it doesn't flow the best to me because the "I" sounds especially when you take out the middle and just say Levi Shia. Not terrible flow, just a little "I" heavy to my ear.
  • Loading the player...
  •  I really love the name Levi! Short and sweet and great for a boy as well as an older man. I have no idea whether it's trendy right now but it is certainly not an unheard of name, it's a biblical name actually. I would go  go for it! I wouldn't worry too much about the association with the brand of jeans. Almost every name under the sun could have some association with a brand or a famous person nowadays so I don't put too much stock in that. 
  • Eh, I don't think much of the jeans connection.  I don't really see how he could be teased for that.  Sure, it could be brought up, but I don't see it being hurtful.  Levi Bennett is great, and I absolutely love the meaning that it holds for you and your husband.

• I think Levi Bennett is great. Levi is common but not too common, definitely not a name that would get him teased.
  • Maybe it's just where I am, but Levi is super trendy. I know of at least 5 under 3-4 years old, and have a friend who is strongly considering using it for her son due later this year. It's definitely common enough that I would seriously doubt he'd be teased about it being the same as the jeans brand, so I wouldn't worry about that. I also see no issues with an Asian Levi.

Levi Bennet is great, but I do agree that Levi Sia is a little bit heavy on the 'i' sound. Not enough to be overly concerning, but it does roll of my tongue a little strangely (though that could be because I'm mispronouncing your last name).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • my mind doesnt got to the jeans brand, I automatically this of the Jewish faith (not a bad thing at all...just my first thought) Levi Bennet sounds great together
  • Maybe it's just where I am, but Levi is super trendy. I know of at least 5 under 3-4 years old, and have a friend who is strongly considering using it for her son due later this year. It's definitely common enough that I would seriously doubt he'd be teased about it being the same as the jeans brand, so I wouldn't worry about that. I also see no issues with an Asian Levi.

Levi Bennet is great, but I do agree that Levi Sia is a little bit heavy on the 'i' sound. Not enough to be overly concerning, but it does roll of my tongue a little strangely (though that could be because I'm mispronouncing your last name).
    +1
  • Thanks everyone!  I think I am going to go with it.  This is our first baby and the meaning and all just feels right.  
  • timtkc84 said:
    Thanks everyone!  I think I am going to go with it.  This is our first baby and the meaning and all just feels right.  
    It's a wonderful name!
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • i think of an older jewish man
  • I don't think of jeans. I think of country and Amish mainly because it's really the only time I hear it IRL. Where I grew up there was a large Amish population and several Levi's.

• Love the name! Good pick :) it may be popular right now, but as previously stated it's a biblical name so it's also somewhat traditional. I like that it has meaning for you guys too! 
  • Rshapiro86Rshapiro86 member
    edited March 2017
    Love Levi!! Great choice. My 3 month old is Levi. We loved the meaning as well!
  • I don't think of it as a trendy name at all.  It was my grandpa's name, and I grew up with 1 boy by the same name.  I do believe it has grown in popularity but only because it really is a good name!  
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• 4N6s4N6s member
    I think Levi is fine.