June 2017 Moms

UO Thursday - 3/9 Edition

Lets hear those UOs ladies!

Re: UO Thursday - 3/9 Edition

• Love that one @Elyse1384

Mine is I cringe when I hear "I can't get my kid to...!" What does that even mean? Have you really put in a valid effort or did you try one thing,
    you got annoyed or bothered and stopped all operations? 

I get things can be hard, and might take time, but seriously? 

• Loading the player...
  • LMMamaLMMama member
    edited March 2017
    I can vouch that sometimes you really can't get kids to go to bed when you want them to. Some kids just aren't good sleepers regardless of how hard you try. Case in point- my DD who will be 5 in a few weeks and has not slept well ever in her entire life. Over the course of the last 5 years we have tried every possible tactic one can imagine to get her in bed and happily asleep at a reasonable hour. She wakes at 6:30 am every day (often waking a few times at night), yet can't fall asleep prior to 9:30/10:00 every night. Certainly not for lack of effort.

After my personal experience, I don't think strict sleep schedules are necessary :) 
  • LMMama said:
    I can vouch that sometimes you really can't get kids to go to bed when you want them to. Some kids just aren't good sleepers regardless of how hard you try. Case in point- my DD who will be 5 in a few weeks and has not slept well ever in her entire life. Over the course of the last 5 years we have tried every possible tactic one can imagine to get her in bed and happily asleep at a reasonable hour. She wakes at 6:30 am every day (often waking a few times at night), yet can't fall asleep prior to 9:30/10:00 every night. Certainly not for lack of effort.

After my personal experience, I don't think strict sleep schedules are necessary :) 
    So if you put her in bed let's say at 8pm, what happens? 
  • @Wino0920 She does have a bed time routine that we follow regardless of her lack of sleeping. She "goes to bed" at 8 nightly, but she'll remain there awake for a solid two hours. Sometimes it's quiet, sometimes she whines the whole time. 
  • @LMMama see but that to me is the same thing, she is in bed and listening to the rules. Obviously you can't make a kid fall asleep but you can make them go to bed. I'm taking about "well they scream and cry so we get them or they just continuously get up!" 
  • LMMama said:

Agree to disagree I guess.  I personally think strict sleep schedules are necessary.  Kids are so overloaded with schoolwork and extracurricular activities these days that ensuring they get enough sleep is important.  You DD is 5 so not really impacted by that stuff yet, but I believe that once kids are really in the school years (eg middle school) they need proper sleep.  My nephew goes to bed at 11pm at night.  He needs to be up by 6 every morning to get ready and out the door to catch the bus.  7 hours at his age is not enough sleep.  The kid always seems to be dragging and his schoolwork has suffered.  

I'm a night owl myself so I can understand some kids preferring certain schedules, but as a kid my parents gave strict bedtimes and looking back it was needed (even if not appreciated at the time).  My SIL makes ZERO effort.  I do't see any reason for a 2 year old to be awake until 10 or 11 when he sleeps 12 hours solid.
  • @wino0920 haha oh no. There's no going to get her. Obviously when she was younger it was harder for her to comprehend, but she has a deal in place comprised of levels that have been tried and adjusted to get us to the point where she is now.  She's allowed to get up/ask for something once. If she gets out of bed/cries down to us twice we take her body pillow (this is for whatever reason a threat to her- she has many pillows), if she does it again her door gets closed, one more time and her night light is gone. After her routine the deal is on and she has to follow it. That works pretty well to at least keep her up there and relatively quiet. We tried a reward system at first but that failed pretty quickly- so we taketh away. 
  • LMMamaLMMama member
    edited March 2017
    @Elyse1384 I do agree that when kids are in school a bed time should be enforced. I also think they are old enough to understand the concept of going to bed a reasonable time because they have to wake up early.  I once had a two year old who was a serious night owl (though never had the luxury of her at least sleeping in!) and even making an effort, it can be difficult to manage. I get how people complaining about bed times when they don't try to change anything can be annoying though.

At least for this baby though, I'll give it my best shot, but I won't live and die by a nap or sleep schedule. 
  • kdanjoukdanjou member
    edited March 2017
    I agree that kids need sleep schedules.  I think it's important to start when they are babies and first sleep through the night.  Establish a time, routine, and then stick to it!  I also get that some kids are "better" sleepers than others but all kids need routine.
    I can't think of a UO today.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • LMMamaLMMama member
    edited March 2017
    @kdanjou but what if as babies they never sleep through the night? It all sounds so easy to find the right time, follow a routine, and keep it up- but what if your child just never takes to that? I think it adds a ton of pressure to say to moms- especially new moms- that they just aren't being persistent enough. I know when my DD was younger I read over and over again how at this point and that point she should be sleeping like this. Sometimes it's just not plausible for every kid. 
  • Sleep is a sore spot with me when people think I haven't tried hard enough. Try not to judge everyone as having the same level of effort when it comes to trying to get their kids on a routine. DS has never, ever slept through the night and he's 3.5. I've had a strict schedule since the beginning, but he just struggles. We've been to the children's hospital, followed a behavioral therapist's suggestions, done cio in multiple 10 day intervals to no avail, and he's had sleep studies to rule out other problems. They came to the conclusion he's a short sleeper at the hospital. He doesn't act tired throughout the day and is pleasant. He seems to function on a fraction of what he should need. I still make sure we're home early, do the routines, he's in bed by 8:00, I don't take him out of his room, no electronics near him at night etc. It's not unheard of for him to take 4 hours to go down. It's really hard on me, so I get frustrated when people think I'm not doing the right things. I'm sure what you are talking about is different, but please don't generalize all parents with kids that don't sleep into the same group! 
    Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Angel and Memorial tickers  
    Lilypie Fourth Birthday tickers
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
    BFP #1 9/1999. DD Born 6/7/2000
    BFP #2 10/2011. EDD 7/11/12. MMC discovered 11/2/11. D&C 11/4/11.
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    BFP#3 1/11/13. DS Born 9/17/2013
    BFP#4 9/30/17. Grow baby grow! 
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • kdanjoukdanjou member
    edited March 2017
    Even if they don't sleep through the night - and my DD didn't until her first birthday - they still need a set "bedtime" and routine.  Obviously you have to make sure they aren't hungry or whatever when they are babies.  And sure, they might not go to sleep when you put them to bed, but even if you need to do "cry it out" or whatever at least they still know it's bedtime.  Even if they wake up multiple time a night, just reminding them that's it's still sleep-time and not time to get up is fine.  Kids can get a lot of anxiety when they don't know what is expected of them and can't predict what is going to happen in their lives.  I know it can be hard for the parents to hear a little one crying and complaining.
    One tip for toddlers and older - my DD has a sleep clock that tells her exactly when it's ok to get up and it has worked really well.  Often she wakes up early but she will stay in bed until the clock lights up.
    Just my two cents.
    MC Sept 2010
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • @kdanjou, I think I just bought that clock this week. Is it mirari "Teach me Time"? 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • EmeraldNCEmeraldNC member
    edited March 2017
    @Elyse1384 I am totally guilty for a monthly post about DD3 the first year.  Oh, it was one of my favorite things!  I don't do it for pregnancy though... because I just don't want to be photographed that often.  I've actually had several FB friends comment about how I "haven't even posted a pic of my bump yet" and I thought... Ehh. Whatever.  I only have a handful of pictures when I was pregnant with DD3.  I just don't like taking photos of myself.  However, I'll take 1000 of my kids.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @LAMCH1980 It sounds like you are doing a great job with sleep routine even though it is difficult.  I believe that the consistent routine is important even if the little one doesn't cooperate. 
    The clock I have is the "my tot clock" but is similar to yours:
    https://www.amazon.com/My-Tot-Clock-New-Improved/dp/B00NC10YFA/ref=pd_lpo_201_tr_img_3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=EZKK7BT1Z955PVEX54RE

MC Sept 2010
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • My dd is also the weirdest sleeper ever. She sleeps in till 8 no matter what. I could put her to bed at 7 or 11 and she will still sleep in and take a 2 hr+ nap. We do let her stay up a lot because her dad gets home at 6 and if I put her to bed at 7:30 that is like no time with dad and she waits around all day for him. Also I value naps a lot right now. If I was not pregnant I would probably drop her nap and have her consistently go to bed early, but for now I'm not worried. 

I am also guilty of over photographing, but I do not post them all. Only the really good ones. I did weekly for the first month then monthly for her first year and now we do yearly photo shoots. I plan on doing the same with Micah. Photography is kind of a hobby of mine though. 
    I also did a project 365 of just dd for her first year and turned it into a photo book and it's really cool. Looking through it you can see her face changing everyday, so I'm going to do that again too. And I might do a weekly shot on the same background this time too. But that's all for me and my kids, I only post like 10% of it cause I know I'm the only one who cares. Lol

im not sure if this is uo or not, but I'm terrible at coming up with any. I hate drones! I'm sitting in my backyard right now in the quiet country watching dd play and a stupid drone keeps circling over us. Makes me want to buy a gun and shoot it!! 
  • I'm totally OK with people doing the bump updates and kid monthly updates. I don't care about a lot of them, but I can understand why its fun to do and cool to look back on. Facebook and Instagram posts are much easier to go back and look through than your computer or phone.
    I don't know much about sleep routines, but if my kid is anything like me and DH he will be in bed early and waking up early which would be great, we aren't night owls and are very much morning people. So fingers crossed for that.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @LAMCH1980 Sounds like you have a great routine going.  Sleep through the night is an entirely other issue in my mind haha!  I believe in strict bedtimes, but I get that sleep cycles for little ones can be rough.  My DD sometimes has difficult nights when her reflux flairs up or when she is cutting teeth.  

@LMMama I wish it was just a night owl issue for my 2 year old nephew.  I think he only stays up late because his brothers stay up until 10/11 and he doesn't want to miss out.  I had them for a sleepover this weekend and the poor kid was yawning, rubbing his eyes and fussing by 8:30, but he refused bed without his brothers going to bed too.  He sleeps for 12 hours straight (holy hell!) and then naps from 2/3pm-6pm.  My SIL said he used to go down by 8, but it was "too difficult" putting him down while trying to deal with the older boys (11, 10 and 7) so she just let him stay up.  Now she can't break him of this and hates having him up so late... yet she refuses to attempt a schedule for him.

@kdanjou I'm right there with you on bedtimes.  
  • Ah, the great bedtime debate. For me, it's all about if things work for you and your family. DD (3) has a relatively inflexible and early-ish bedtime because she becomes a nightmare if she doesn't get enough sleep - does this mean that we sometimes don't do things which would keep her out later? Yup, but that's our choice and thankfully I'm ok with it. I do get annoyed when people complain how their kid is still in their bed when they've made no effort to get them out.
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • I like seeing monthly bump and baby pictures and if I don't I scroll on by.  But I rather see that on Facebook than dear diary posts or political rants.  Give me all the bumps, babies and puppies lol.

I believe sleep schedules/routines and bed times are important for kids but I also believe you have to do what's right for you and your family.  And a sleep schedule is not the same as sleeping through the night.  I also think it's ok to be flexible on special occasions but it took me a while to get there.  

Both of my kids have always had the same bedtime routine.  My daughter slept through the night early and was an easy baby.  She's gone through phases at 3ish where she would fight bedtime for hours but it's usually just a phase and we can get her back on track .  I felt like I did everything the same with my son and he is 2 and has only slept all night a handful of times.  He still goes to bed at bedtime easily but he wakes up at night or early morning.  It's exhausting.  It's only recently gotten better.  

My UO - I don't care how big your 4yo is or what the state law is, a 4 year old is not mature or safe in a booster seat with seat belt and should be in at least a 5 point harness high back booster.  I'm hoping this is a popular opinion but I've seen otherwise on Facebook and it breaks my heart.  I'm not usually big on pushing car seat rules but this just gets me! 

• I agree about people who make no effort with bedtime out who are always making exceptions to it and then complain that their kids doesn't sleep, but I also know that some kids just have a harder time with sleep than others. My daughter sleeps 7:30 pm to at least 7 am every day. My brothers youngest is like that too. His oldest, though, takes at least two hours to go to sleep regardless of when he is put down. The kid is consistently in bed at 8 o'clock and NEVER asleep before ten. He stays in bed though. He's allowed to get up once a night to use the bathroom, I think, but that's it. You can't force a kid to sleep, but you do have to have a consistent routine that makes it is likely as possible.

My pet peeve is people whose excuse is "I'm just not good at schedules!" and then everything is a free for all and they complain that it isn't working. You are a freaking adult. You have to figure out how to be "good at schedules." It's not an optional special skill. Like, do you take that excuse to your job? How does that work out?

• My pet peeve is people whose excuse is "I'm just not good at schedules!" and then everything is a free for all and they complain that it isn't working. You are a freaking adult. You have to figure out how to be "good at schedules." It's not an optional special skill. Like, do you take that excuse to your job? How does that work out?
    All of this plus people being late. H is a late person and it annoys me to no end. Part of being an adult is time management. It is insulting and rude to other people to be late. It just is. And I firmly believe that having kids is no excuse. My family, with five kids, was ALWAYS on time. And some friends of ours had four kids and were always late. No, it's not because you have kids. It's because you don't manage your time well. Get up earlier in the morning. Budget more time in for getting kids ready. It's not rocket science. 
  • Gahhh bedtimes. We have a pretty good routine/schedule and it works well for DS (started STTN at 3 months) but DH's parents hate it, because they don't really see him in the evenings and he's usually in bed already if they stay with him for our date nights. For the longest time DS went to bed at 6, and only recently started going down at 7, but they are always like "when is he finally going to stay up later?!" He's 11 freaking months old and he sleeps for 11 hours...I'm not changing a thing, people. 

IMO if your routine is working for you and your child, you have nothing you need to change. If it isn't, work on it and make it a priority. Everyone's family situation is different. DH's brother's kids (4, 3, 7 mo) sleep from like 10-9, because of their dad's work schedule. I think that's nuts, but it works for them! 
  • I use 23snaps for my bump pics and baby pics when I get there. I only invited parents and siblings who were asking for pics. My entire Facebook friends list doesn't need to see my bump pics and I don't feel comfortable sharing so many baby pics with the whole world. That being said I don't mind at all when other people share theirs. 
  • I agree with I think late people are sort of rude and don't value my time.  DH and I are both early/on time people.  If I really am late it's because I made a mistake/ over slept/ or my kid threw a fit/ had an accident or something.  And usually im
    running so early those things just make me on time.  But I know it happens.  I have friends and relatives that are always late no matter what and for events where we eat we've stopped waiting for them. I'm not waiting for you to be 30 minutes late to eat when it happens every time.  We also sometimes lie to my brother about the time we expect him somewhere because we know he runs an hour late.  

This is probably coming off as me being bratty and rude but it drives me nuts. 
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited March 2017
    Wino0920 said:
    Love that one @Elyse1384

Mine is I cringe when I hear "I can't get my kid to...!" What does that even mean? Have you really put in a valid effort or did you try one thing,
    you got annoyed or bothered and stopped all operations? 

I get things can be hard, and might take time, but seriously? 

*July lurker*

Agreed! My best friend is having a rough go with her little one. Biting, hitting, throwing stuff, not sleeping through the night, tantrums. I get she's at her wits end but she said she's taking her to the Dr. Um, to do what?! She's going from terrible two's to a threenager. I'm pretty sure this is normal isn't it?!  I hate when people clog up the Healthcare system for stupid shit like that. Your kid is a toddler, THAT's her problem lol

@JessyKV Haha my sister is like that. My mom is notoriously late all the time so my sister always tells her a way earlier time then when she actually needs her to be there. 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @stokesm21 If it's a sudden and dramatic change, my pedi considers it a good reason to come in. DD had some of this going on a few months back - turned out her ear tube was clogged with wax and a trip to the ENT to vacuum it out showed a pretty nasty ear infection. Only "symptoms" were behavioral...and she was nearly 3 and still couldn't verbalize any issues. Not saying that's the case with your friend, but sometimes there is a medical reason 
    Me 37, DH 40
    BFP #1 6/13 DD 3/14
    Mirena 10/14-5/16
    BFP #2 9/2/16, CP confirmed 9/8/16
    BFP #3 10/10/16 EDD 6/22/17
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    @stokesm21 If it's a sudden and dramatic change, my pedi considers it a good reason to come in. DD had some of this going on a few months back - turned out her ear tube was clogged with wax and a trip to the ENT to vacuum it out showed a pretty nasty ear infection. Only "symptoms" were behavioral...and she was nearly 3 and still couldn't verbalize any issues. Not saying that's the case with your friend, but sometimes there is a medical reason 
    You *are* right. It's not always black and white. I just know what their life is like so I'm not really surprised. (Her BF is an idiot, they fight a lot around the kids, the BF calls the toddler ((she's his daughter)) an asshole out loud and says her new found behaviour is ruining their lives, she literally almost never brings her toddler out of the house so the only socialization she gets is with her older sister. Stuff like that. It probably is behavioural but mostly due to the situation she has her kids living in so that's more a her issue that needs to be addressed first) 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • The late thing drives me bonkers. We had kids a few years after our close friends and they always used their kid as an excuse "you just wait until you have kids, you'll be late too."  Um, no I will just adjust my time accordingly. I find it rude, like they don't respect my time as I sit and wait 15-30 minutes for them.

Now are there times you are heading out the door and LO pees their pants? Yes, but on a whole just adjust your time. We have a 3 year old....we are still on time.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• I have a 20 minute buffer built into our morning routine. My 3 year old could crap his pants, throw a royal fit, the dog could barf and we can hit every red light and we should still make it to school on time. 
    DX PCOS 10/2012.
    ~Everyone Welcome~
  • I'm chronically late because of DD's poor sleep schedule. Flame away. She's been transitioning from two naps to one nap for about a month or so. Some days she NEEDS two naps and other days she only needs one. She has never by any means been a predictable sleeper. Her naps could be 30 minutes to 3 hours long. Idk what to do about it. I've read 1,000 sleep books. Done the sleep training thing countless times. I used to stress about it, but it didn't help at all, it just made me miserable. But sleep is almost as important as food so if I have plans at a certain time and DD is still sleeping then sorry, not sorry, I'm either going to call and let you know I'll be late or just cancel. 
  • @doodleoodle. See that is a little different to me. You are going through a transitional time and you are courteous to those waiting by calling them.  DS can also nap anywhere from 2-4 hours in the afternoon, unpredictable too.  If i have to schedule something with friends in the afternoon (I usually try for morning.) I make them aware of this and we have a flexible meeting time, like we call to see if the kids are up and then set a meeting time but to just not care that you are late or make any effort to respect other's time? Rude.

Me: 34  DH: 35
    Married: July 2009
    BFP: November 2012 after 2 years of TTC     DS born August 2013
    Diagnosed with PCOS April 2016
    3 months of trigger shot with timed intercourse BFN x3
    First IUI: 9/17/16            BFP: 9/30/16              EDD: 6/11/17

• doodleoodledoodleoodle member
    edited March 2017
    @kahlan82 I totally agree that just being late without a heads up is rude. 

ETA that a 4 hour nap sounds glorious 
  • c1tym0m22 said:
    Ah, the great bedtime debate. For me, it's all about if things work for you and your family. DD (3) has a relatively inflexible and early-ish bedtime because she becomes a nightmare if she doesn't get enough sleep - does this mean that we sometimes don't do things which would keep her out later? Yup, but that's our choice and thankfully I'm ok with it. I do get annoyed when people complain how their kid is still in their bed when they've made no effort to get them out.

This is very annoying to me too! I am a cosleeper and very happy to be. I don't complain, except maybe to mil because she lets me and coslept 5 times and understands 95% it's awesome and then sometimes you wake up with a toe in your ear or something equally as strange. But I know a couple that has 3 kids in their bed and they always were telling us watch out its terrible, we don't sleep, blab blah. But yet don't try to fix it. Dd had a rough day or two learning to sleep in her bed, but was fine pretty quick and goes to bed easily now. She does still climb in every morning though which I love! 

Totally agree on the car seat and booster thing, but I very much play by the rules and dd is stil rf at 3.5 so...

and the the late thing. Also so annoying. I always have a 15 min-30 min buffer (depending on how far we're going) more for California traffic than kids. And yes sometimes things happen. But CALL seriously. Most people are understanding if you call before the appt or whatever and let them know what's going on. 
  • kahlan82 said:
    The late thing drives me bonkers. We had kids a few years after our close friends and they always used their kid as an excuse "you just wait until you have kids, you'll be late too."  Um, no I will just adjust my time accordingly. I find it rude, like they don't respect my time as I sit and wait 15-30 minutes for them.

Now are there times you are heading out the door and LO pees their pants? Yes, but on a whole just adjust your time. We have a 3 year old....we are still on time.
    I absolutely HATE this condescending attitude toward other people. I hate coffee. I abhor the taste, smell, everything. I refuse to kiss my husband if he's had any recently. I can taste even the smallest amounts in baked goods and can't finish them. I highly doubt I will ever like it. My cousin and his wife, back when I was younger, always said, "Oh, once you're in college, you'll start drinking coffee." Guess what? Didn't happen. Even when I was taking a full load of classes and working two part jobs my senior year. When they found out I was pregnant, "Oh, once you have kids, you'll start drinking coffee."  

I just don't get it. Do they just have to be right? Why can't they just accept that some people don't like coffee? It's so annoying. I just know 10 years down the road, I'm still going to hate coffee. Having kids is not going to change that. The only reason I would start drinking coffee is if my taste buds dramatically change so I like the taste. I'm not going to start drinking something I abhor just because I need the pick me up or something. There are plenty of other ways to handle that.