BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• @GG620 - It's such a complicated thing. Our immigration policies and economic needs haven't been compatible and it has really created a big problem. ICE and local governments really need to come up with a plan that works for both of them. Most local governments can't afford to detain all the people that ICE would want them to, so if that's going to work, then more money needs to be allocated to local law enforcement. Economically, we need immigrants and we need a path to citizenship. Some sanctuary cities seem to be really going out of their way to fight ICE, but I haven't seen a concerted effort to bring people out of the shadows. Basically, I agree with you to an extent. I'm frustrated that real solutions don't seem to be attainable. 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Loading the player...
  • GG620GG620 member
    @morado23 completely and totally agree with you. First it is important to note that "sanctuary city" doesn't have a legal definition and means many different things - especially with the media toting what it does/doesn't mean. I think it is fine for states/cities to indicate that they don't have the resources to actively seek out and detain illegal immigrants - and indeed, the constitution protects states rights to say so (the whole threat cutting off funding is a whole separate bag of worms). I myself work in law enforcement and know firsthand the limited resources with which departments and counties work. However, cities that are actively inhibiting ICE (with varying levels) from inquiring about people's immigration status is too far imo. 

BabyFruit Ticker

[spoiler]

Me: 28  Him: 30

Married: 11/15/14

TTC: 02/2016

IF DX: MFI (low count & morphology) & mild PCOS

June 2016 BFP - MC @8w2d

August 2016 BFP - MC @6w1d

June 2017 - 50 mg Clomid + Ovidrel + IUI = BFP 7/6/17!!

Beta #1 = 422 (14dpo), Beta #2 = 810, prog - 12.3 (16dpo), Beta #3 = 5023, prog - 18.9 (20dpo)

[/spoiler]

• @GG620 - Yes! It's the "actively inhibiting" part that is more harmful than helpful to their cause! 
    Me: 29 | DH: 29
    Married 12/2016
    DSS born 01/2016
    TTC since 01/2017
    Letrozole + TI = BFP 01/30/2018 | EDD 10/11/2018
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • I'm annoyed that illegal immigrants have as many rights and access to resources as they do in this country. Also, I wish the media would stop calling them "undocumented". Just for the record, I'm a legal immigrant, I've spent thousands of dollars and my company has spent tens of thousands getting me through the work visa process then residency. While I support some sort of DACA solution, it just annoys me that we haven't been able to figure out some sort of solution to the illegal alien problem in the US. 
  • @LuND I agree wholeheartedly. I loathe baby center
  • lundlund member
    @Kiki75 YAS girl. I <3 you. 
  • cdnrunningcdnrunning member
    edited March 2017
    @antoto I guess it bothers me because they're "illegal". "Undocumented" makes it sound as if they misplaced their papers or something. I know it's just semantics but I feel it's a PC way of stating the actual fact. The whole illegal immigration thing impacts me directly as I live in Texas. I wish we'd just make it legal and let everyone in and then deal with whatever it is we need to deal with or truly make it illegal. And to clarify, I understand that today it is illegal but it doesn't feel like it when you can get a driver's license, go to school, benefit from resources,etc.

eta: clarify comment
  • Ok, my UO, I feel like we need 2 UO threads. One for legit discussions that may be unpopular topics (such as the immigration discussion currently) and one for the fun stuff, crap like who hates super popular well loved tv shows or can't stand popular songs, etc. I'm all for a good debate/discussion but sometimes I just want to come in here and playfully flame each other over fun crap. (Please see earlier in the week when I said I don't like Harry Potter or LuLaRoe lol)

matches
    Angel Babies 1&2 2/14/09
    DS born 3/11
    Angel Baby 3 6/28/11                                                         9/5/17 BFP!!
    divorced October 2014                                                       9/6/17 hCG 88 progesterone 9.1 (prometrium started)
    Married DH 10/15     DH's DS born 6/09                            9/8/17 hCG 242!!!
    Not preventing since 11/15                                                 EDD 5/8/18        Adjusted 5/15/18
    TTC since 1/1/16                                                                9/27/17 we have a heart beat!

Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy TrackerBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @ladystinson Yassssssssss please!! I could do without a fun UO thread altogether (maybe that's an unpopular opinion?). It's like hearing about a preference of apples over oranges. I mean that's cool but not super interesting to read about. We're all very different people, I fully expect to have different preferences. 
  • @antoto The elementary school my DD might go to has a very high number of ESL students. I don't know whether they or their parents are here legally, it really doesn't matter to me to be honest. What is frustrating though (and maybe the reason my kid ends up in private school) is that nearly 40% of the school is not proficient (meaning did not pass, not just a lower score) the writing section of the state exam. What worries me, is how can a teacher teach when 40% of the class is essentially not proficient in the English language? What also worries me is how the children in the class who are proficient and maybe advanced might be negatively impacted. I know there's no easy answer but I want the best for my kid (I grew up pretty poor when I was young) as anyone would.
  • @cdnrunning The elementary school I worked in actually separated kids into classes based on their proficiency in that specific area so the teacher knew exactly how to maximize their effectiveness.  Definitely ask the school what they do - it's likely they do the same.  
  • Yet another UO - 

I wish parents would support their children in learning the local language. And before everyone assumes I'm only speaking about the Hispanic population in the US - that's not the case. I lived in Montreal for six years and I was blown away by the number of people who were not bilingual. I mean you would have to make a concerted effort to not learn the other language. I think that's just ignorant. 

If I ever moved to another country, I'd make every effort to learn about the customs, norms, language etc.

Who pissed in my cornflakes this morning? I swear I'm normally a super upbeat and happy person in general :)
  • hartmich said:
    LuND said:
    I'm sure it's more productive to be nice and helpful to the newbies/rando's who post one-off AW intros, but I hate them (the posts, not the person) and think they deserve some snark. 

I know that they get snark if they get mouthy after we try to help them, but it baffles me how they don't lurk and read the newbie guides before barging in with their dumbness. 
    I agree with this. It's not fair to those who actually do read the guide and follow the rules to let others get away with whatever the hell they want. We are not asking that much. 
    I don't see that happening?

• @antoto I definitely will, thanks for the suggestion. My husband and I both went through the public school system and had planned on doing the same for our kids when the time came
  • edited March 2017
    @antoto I definitely will, thanks for the suggestion. My husband and I both went through the public school system and had planned on doing the same for our kids when the time came
    Yep!  I think public education is 10000000% the way to go unless you are super religious.  I also feel really bummed out when the more privileged students (ETA - and teachers/admin!) abandon the schools with a high ESL populations because then that community gets more stigmatized, the schools overall test scores decline, they get punished for their declining scores, and the parents, students, and community all suffer.
  • @antoto We're Jewish and our dd currently goes to the Jewish day school in our community. So that does play a little part in our decision although I'd by no means consider ourselves very religious. It's just one of those things where it's a tight knit community and an excellent school (ECC-8th grade). 
  • I've been here 20 years and I'm still not a citizen. My UO is that I don't really care to become one. It sucks that I can't vote but I also can't get called for Jury Duty!

Also it's funny to me the amount of people that ask if I pay taxes.

PS. I plan to become a citizen in the next few years, maybe when I get around to changing my last name to H's.

Me: 28 | DH: 33
    EDD: March 24, 2018 - angel baby at 21 weeks <3 

• @jsnakehole I'm from the PNW which is definitely liberal leaning (particularly in the Portland/Seattle areas) so I'm with you!
    Me: 29 || DH: 29
    TTC #1 4/2016 || dx NIR PCOS 7/2016 || BFP 4/2017
    DD - 12/28/17 <3

TTC #2 3/2019
    BFP 5/2019 || MC - D&C 5/2019
    BFP 2/2020 || EDD 10/10/2020
  • antoto said:
    Re: Flaming - It might just be that I'm used to dealing with hundreds of teenagers every day of my life but I just don't think it's worth a full on flame war if someone skips over the newbie thread to start with (as long as they fix their mistake and follow the rules moving forward).  To me it sounds like some of you are perhaps more interested in punishing people for smaller mistakes than you are in creating a community that is primarily concerned with educating and empowering.  It's empowering to that poster that I directed them to beneficial information when they made a flaky mistake that didn't really impact anyone on this board.  I think it's destructive to board culture when we flip out and punish people even if they didn't wrong any of us.

I find genuine pleasure in flaming people who cause ANY of our members any sort of pain. But if the poster is just being flaky and doesn't hurt anyone at all (just makes themselves look silly) then I would wonder if people who flame them might just enjoy ganging up on people.  And I don't think that's healthy.

That's my UO I suppose.
    Yes!

I am on multiple boards and this is, by far, the cattiest.  I really only come on here for entertainment.
  • Yet another UO - 

I wish parents would support their children in learning the local language. And before everyone assumes I'm only speaking about the Hispanic population in the US - that's not the case. I lived in Montreal for six years and I was blown away by the number of people who were not bilingual. I mean you would have to make a concerted effort to not learn the other language. I think that's just ignorant. 

If I ever moved to another country, I'd make every effort to learn about the customs, norms, language etc.

Who pissed in my cornflakes this morning? I swear I'm normally a super upbeat and happy person in general :)
    This is more what I was replying to. Most of my students this year are children of immigrants (I don't know if they're documented or not, not my place). A lot of these parents are really struggling to make ends meet and keep a roof over their head, and it's not that they don't want to integrate into American culture, they just don't have time and even at work they're around people from a similar background. I'm getting the impression (especially meeting with them tonight) that for a lot of them, being an American themselves is a lost cause. They're here so their children can be Americans. And they care so much about their child speaking and reading and writing in English, but they don't know how to help them. And I can't help but feel for them. 
    Me: 28 DH: 29
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC #1: 12/2016
    Benched due to deployment- Off the bench 8/8/17!

• NYTino24NYTino24 member
    edited March 2017
    antoto said:
    @cdnrunning The elementary school I worked in actually separated kids into classes based on their proficiency in that specific area so the teacher knew exactly how to maximize their effectiveness.  Definitely ask the school what they do - it's likely they do the same.  
    I wouldn't say it's likely, or even common, for schools to be like that. I've worked at 5, so I have a somewhat good experience to say that... at least in my state. We do have students receiving ESL, G&T, and Special Education services more highly concentrated in certain classes to make pull-outs or push ins easier. Most classes I've had in the past twelve years (mostly teaching third and fourth) have ranged from preschool level to tenth grade level performance on standardized testing. I have a masters in special education with preK-fifth teaching and tutoring up to 8th... even then, it's hard to meet all learners where they need. (Not sharing an opinion here though.)
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility