August 2017 Moms
Options

Why did I do this to myself?

Vickers224Vickers224 member
edited March 2017 in August 2017 Moms
At work we have a fetal doppler. I was curious to check it out. I used it last Friday and found the heartbeat no problem. Sounded fast and strong at 144-146. Last night I decided hey let's try it again and after 10-15 mins or so of endless searching, I couldn't find it. I'm 15 weeks 4 days. I left work completely discouraged something could be wrong. At my last OB appointment 2 weeks ago, my midwife found it no problem. I don't know what to do :/ trying hard not to be upset. Any advice would be much appreciated 

Re: Why did I do this to myself?

• Options
    They always struggle to get the heartbeat with the Doppler at my appointments, and they say "it's cause the baby is moving." They eventually get it, but it's not for very long because baby moves again. I wanted to get a Doppler because it sucks waiting between appointments, but I was worried I wouldn't be able to find the heartbeat, especially because they struggle in appointments to find it and keep it easily and then would be upset. I'd try not to worry, and try again another day. I know that's much easier said than done! If you are feeling reallly worried, give your OB a call in the morning and see what they say. Sorry you're feeling worried  <3
  • Options
    lewlivlewliv member
    edited March 2017
    It's very common not finding a heartbeat with a doppler this early. You could try again today or ask your OB for a visit. After you get the reassurance you need I would stay away from dopplers. You, like me, do not have the right personality for one. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    At 15w, that little thing is moving everywhere! Did you try with a full or empty bladder? Not that is probably makes that much of a difference, but a full bladder does get baby to hold still a little bit better (sometimes). Are you still having other symptoms of pregnancy? I'm with you and @LivLew - I do not have a low enough anxiety level to have my own doppler, so as long as I'm feeling yucky, I figure I'm still pregnant :).
  • Options
    I'm 19 weeks and I got a doppler from a friend and still refuse to use it because I know if I don't find it I will be very upset. Last apt I had (3 weeks ago) my dr had trouble finding the heartbeat because she said the baby was moving all over the place which is normal. She finally found it and said the heartbeat was around 145 and then the baby actually kicked the doppler, I'm guessing maybe they don't like it much ;) I would recommend if it upsets you not trying haha, that's why I'm just waiting.
  • Options
    @Lindstothee, at my last appointment, baby wouldn't STOP kicking at the Doppler.  Once the Dr. told us what that sound was, I was ecstatic! So cool to hear (I'm at 17+5 and have felt a few flutters but nothing big yet, so it was very neat!) Although I'm a bit concerned that I'm in for a hellion of a child :wink:

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    at my 16 week appt, my midwife had a hard time getting mine.  She did say that all the scratching sounds were the baby moving around, so she wasn't worried. She ended up having to go SUPER low...down by my pubic bone to get the tones.  She said my uterus was the right size.  It's just hanging out low.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Wife. Mom. Doula. Photographer.
    BFP #1- 12/26/2011-  DS Born 9/7/12
    BFP#2- 10/16/2014- DD Born 7/2/15
    SURPRISE! BFP#3- 11/29/16-  EDD 8/6/17
    Formerly MrsAB1316

• Options
    @caity024 I know what you mean! I feel the same way haha! I just can't wait till the 17th that's when we find out what were having. Although last night I was up all night and couldn't get comfortable and apparently neither could the baby because they were moving around all night long! Such a weird but awesome feeling! The baby has been going non stop since last night haha. I just turned 19 weeks yesterday and was a little worried but I think the little one is dancing in grooving in there now!
  • Options
    I'm glad you were able to get reassurance from your doctor, and that everything is fine.  
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker