November 2017 Moms

Pregnant after Infertility (PAIF) Support Check-in

Note: This thread will include discussion of infertility and loss. If these topics are triggering for you, please take care of yourself while reading and posting here.

This thread is for those of us who went through infertility testing and treatments before becoming pregnant. Many of us have had different struggles to get to this place and face different anxiety and concerns now. This thread is for us to support each other, and we hope it will be a safe space. Though this thread starts on Saturdays, please feel free to post here at any time during the week, whether for good news or bad. Consider this an ongoing conversation. 

This thread is for those who have experienced infertility. The struggles we discuss may or may not apply to those who became pregnant easily. If you have not experienced infertility, please be considerate and sensitive if you feel the need to post in this thread. 

Re: Pregnant after Infertility (PAIF) Support Check-in

• Hi everyone!

This is our first PAIF thread so I'd be interested to hear what would be useful in these threads. Please let me know what you would like to see here. Generally I am hoping this will be a discussion and safe space, rather than a check-in where people just answer a few questions and go on their way. 

Background on me: This is my first pregnancy and my first BMB but I was pretty active on the TTGP board for several months, including the IF thread there. Our IF issues stem from a genetic condition causing premature ovarian insufficiency and luteal phase defect/low progesterone. I got a faint line on a Wondfo at 12dpo and had betas and progesterone checked at 13dpo. My betas doubled but my progesterone was on the low side so I am on crinone likely throughout the entire first trimester. I have a 6 week u/s at the RE's in a week.

Like many people who are PAIF, I've had quite a bit of anxiety in the last couple of weeks about whether this pregnancy is going to take. I still check for blood literally every time I go to the bathroom, even though the crinone stopped my spotting. Every cramp I have freaks me out. My condition means I have a higher risk of MC as well as a higher risk the fetus won't be viable (we will be having CVS at 12 weeks) so I'm trying to take it one day at a time. But I am pretty relieved that I was able to get pregnant at all, so it is still a really happy time for us on top of that anxiety. 

• Hi!
    I was diagnosed with pcos at 17years old and always knew I would struggle to conceive. When we tried for our first we tried on our own for 6 months then did 3 rounds of clomid and TI and several rounds of femara. We went to try IUI and discovered some MFI had developed so then we moved to ivf.
    I responded very well to stimulation meds and ended up with 14 embryos, and OHSS.
    We did a FET and conceived our first daughter. 
    A couple years later with did another FET and conceived our second daughter.
    We just did our third FET and I have betas tomorrow.
    We have been incredibly lucky that ivf has worked for us but I still have a lot of anxiety about the outcomes.
    Thanks for starting this @adirat!
  • Loading the player...
  • @heatherdubrow Eager to hear what your beta is tomorrow!

Since you're not a FTM, let me know if there is a good/better way to organize this thread or other things to include. 

• @adirat I think this is good for the first check in/thread. I am useless with thread organization so I may not be much help...
  • So I now have a cold or something - blech! I was already super anxious and now am worried about being sick this early in the pregnancy. 

My background is I had a burst appendix and appendix removal many years ago. The result was scarring on my tubes, which my RE said would make it extremely difficult to become pregnant "on our own". It had been 21 months of trying, so we were just about to launch into IVF, but here we are, pregnant "on our own"!

I love the idea of this thread! I think there is an additional layer of anxiety after IF. Everything went wrong for so long, it's hard to hope that all will be well now that we are pregnant.   
    DH: 31, Me: 27
    Married May 2014
    TTC #1: May 2015
    September 2016-December 2016: Met with RE, fertility testing, diagnosis of tubal scarring, and plan of IVF
    *TW in spoiler boxes*
    Surprise! Unexpected BFP 2/22/17 just when we were about to start fertility treatment!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @kyersten I'm sorry you're sick!
  • @kyersten Sorry to hear you're sick -- I hope it goes away soon!

I really connected with what you wrote -- Everything went wrong for so long, it's hard to hope that all will be well now that we are pregnant.   

I feel the same. I hope we're able to get enough good news/good signs in the next couple weeks we can get to a happy and stress-free place emotionally.

• @adirat I am glad I'm not the only one feeling some of these worries and emotions. I am with you, in hoping we receive news to help give us more confidence and less stress the next few weeks!

@heatherdubrow I just wanted to add, since we were within weeks of IVF, how much I admire you and other women who do it! It is not an easy process! Fingers crossed for your beta tomorrow!
    Married May 2014
    September 2016-December 2016: Met with RE, fertility testing, diagnosis of tubal scarring, and plan of IVF
    *TW in spoiler boxes*
    Surprise! Unexpected BFP 2/22/17 just when we were about to start fertility treatment!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Hi all! A little late to the party but tbh that could my fertility journey motto! I'm Ella. My husband and I tried to conceive naturally for a year before finding an RE. I'd had scant periods since going off the pill and sure enough my lining was trashed. We tried clomid and Femara with IUIs to no avail. I did get pregnant after an exploratory hysteroscopy last summer but our son had trisomy 17. We lost him at 8 weeks. This year we decided to move onto IVF. I responded poorly to the stims - only one good embryo, which we transferred and miraculously stuck!

I'm so glad this group is here. It's been such a long road already for all of us and it does help to have support. Hugs.
  • So, so happy to be here. 

FI and I have been TTC for 14 cycles, the last two of which were IUI cycles.  I wasn't sure this would ever happen for us.  Our last IUI, the numbers just seemed so amazing (for us), my FI was so sure it would work.

I got a squinter BFP yesterday and a more obvious one today, but i'm still very early on - 11dpo.  I'll have my first beta tomorrow at 12dpo.

I have been fighting a nasty cold since the weekend, and just overall feeling miserable.  Hoping things start to get better.
    ~Mom to an amazing Jan 2011 boy~
    ~EDD Nov 18, 2017 with my IUI success story~

[spoiler]
    BabyFruit Ticker[/spoiler]

• @writerling @pawcall Welcome new friends! I have everything crossed for good betas for all of us this month <3  

• @adirat - can you help me create a spoiler for my siggy? I removed my ticker until i can get it figured out.  nothing i'm googling is working.

[spoiler]

• @pawcall I had a lot of trouble too.

I ended up having to write in the spoiler part first: [ spoiler ] [ /spoiler ] but no spaces. Save so your siggy has an empty spoiler.

Then go back in and click the thing in the toolbar that looks like this: </>

It changes your siggy temporarily into html so you can insert the link into the spoiler box.

You can then change it back to regular view.

• Very happy to have made it here!  After six failed iuis our first ivf with icsi was successful and I am currently 4 weeks and two days!  First beta was Monday at 70 and second today at 154.  After so many disappointments I keep waiting for something to go wrong.... but every day I'm letting myself feel just a little bit more excited.  I am so happy for you all and excited to have this community!
    Me: 30 DH: 29
    Married 2010
    TTC since September 2015
    PCOS   :s

IUI #1 - July 20, 2016 - Clomid 50mg, Ovidrel - 1 follicle - BFN
    IUI #2 - August 16, 2016 - Clomid 100mg, Ovidrel - 1 follicle - BFN
    IUI #3 - September 21 + 22, 2016 - Clomid 50 mg, Ovidrel - 1 follicle - BFN
    IUI #4 - October 28, 2016 - Clomid 50 mg, Gonal-F, Ovidrel - 1 follicle - BFN
    IUI #5+#6 - November & December, 2016 - Clomid, Ovidrel - BFN

ICSI #1 - ER 02.20.17 - 5dt of one embryo 02.25.17 - BFP on HPT!!! 03.05.17 - Beta #1: 70 03.06.17! - Beta #2: 154! 03.08.17
  • Thanks so much @adirat !  With my posts all over the threads I was frequenting on the IF board, I don't want it to be all up in anyone's face.

[spoiler]

• @liahay Welcome!

@pawcall Yeah, that's why I did it too -- I was active on TTGP and occasionally posted on the IF board. Didn't want to bother people having a tough day.

• Beta #1 done, Beta #2 on Monday. 

How long do you continue to see your RE? 

[spoiler]

• @pawcall I was just wondering that this morning -- I'm  scheduled for my first ultrasound next Wednesday at 5w2d. Hoping I'll see my RE a few more times before graduating (they feel like family over there at this point!), but not sure.

Anyone else going for a scan at 5 weeks?
    Married 2010
    TTC since September 2015

ICSI #1 - ER 02.20.17 - 5dt of one embryo 02.25.17 - BFP on HPT!!! 03.05.17 - Beta #1: 70 03.06.17! - Beta #2: 154! 03.08.17
  • @pawcall after my FET my RE releases me to my regular ob at 10 weeks. Basically after stopping the pio and estrogen patches!
  • @liahay my re doesn't do a scan until after 6 weeks as that's when you're more likely to see a heartbeat. I'm going at 6 weeks 5 days, so I have a couple more weeks to wait
  • Good question -- I've wondered this myself because I don't have an OB or midwife yet. I had a scan today with the RE at 5+6 and will have another next week at 7+0. They're worried about my progesterone (even with crinone it's only at 20) so they want to keep monitoring me until either progesterone is all good or the placenta forms and takes over. I'm not sure yet how long that will be but it'll likely depend on how things go. 

• @adirat they take me off my meds at 10 weeks so I think the placenta takes over around then.
  • @liahay - I go back for Beta #2 on Monday (16dpo) and I will be 4w+ by then.  Assuming that Beta doubles nicely, they'll schedule an ultrasound the following week, at 5w+.

They told me today that they would see me until 9-10 weeks.  I guess once I have confirmation that the beta is looking good on Monday, I'll call to schedule with the OB/GYN for sometime around/after 10w.

[spoiler]

• I had my ultrasound today with my RE at 6 weeks. Another one is in two weeks and then they'll release me to the ob-gyn (at 8 weeks). 
    Married May 2014
    *TW in spoiler boxes*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• @kyersten how did it go?!?!?
  • @heatherdubrow I was surprised they were having me come in so early -- nervous how I will feel without being able to see a heartbeat!  But, the nurse said they like to rule out ectopic early.  I'm assuming I'll have another scan a week or two following the first... at least I hope!

@kyersten how did the ultrasound go? So exciting!
    Married 2010
    TTC since September 2015

• @kyersten Yay how was the ultrasound?

@liahay Yeah I didn't know what you'd even be able to see so early, but at mine she was able to measure it and ensure my uterus looked good which was a big anxiety reliever! 

• @adirat just saw your post and so glad to hear your uterus looked good!!!

I think these milestones will keep being an especially huge anxiety relief after IF, at least for me!

Married May 2014
    *TW in spoiler boxes*
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Yay @kyersten I'm so glad to hear it! What a beautiful step in your IF journey <3 We very much would love to keep you here even if you're October 30 ;)

• Hi all! I'm 5w1d pregnant after a December IVF cycle and a February FET.  I'm still in disbelief that it worked, but after 3 good betas and an ultrasound (we saw the sac and fetal pole!) it's starting to feel real.  It's really nice to "meet" you!
  • @kamayes826 welcome! I did my FET in February as well!