July 2017 Moms
Options

FFFC Friday 3.3.17

Re: FFFC Friday 3.3.17

• Options
    lanie1000 said:
    I assume you'll only notice it when you're pumping. So, I guess it can't be too harmful for the baby...?
    I took my 5 day old infant to the ER because he puked/spit up blood all over this outfit after a breast feeding session. I'm a FTM and had zero idea what was happening. After about 3 hours in a private room and a full check up, he was cleared to go home. They said "oh, sometimes some blood gets in the milk when nursing and he just happen to spit it up! He's fine, no worries!" I felt kind of dumb but he weighted six pounds and spit up blood so I stand by my ER visit. Lol. Long story short, my milk never came in and after two weeks of trying, it was hello formula. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    FFFC: After finding out I am having a girl, my confidence in taking care of a newborn went out the window. I am a kindergarten teacher with a degree in Early Childhood Education, and I took care of my nieces as babies all the time. That doesn't stop me from being scared to death of becoming a mother. Finding out what I was having just made it all the more real. Luckily, I am extending my time at my mom's house instead of rushing to get into my first house. She is a doctor and a mother of 5, and she will be a blessing in those first weeks. 

• Options
    @lanie1000 You really do only notice when pumping but believe me between the pain and hamburger nipples you'll know. And after I had dumped the milk my doctor informed me that it wasn't harmful in the least (and I was an idiot for dumping) but I would have probably dumped it anyway, I could just see DS being "Case 0" for the zombie apocalypse. 
  • Options
    lanie1000 said:
    All the strawberry nesquick chatter has this FTM terrified. 
    Don't be. Experiences like that are far and few between and usually if you are consistent with your schedule you won't have that issue. You just have to be diligent and consistent. 
  • Options
    My FFFC is work had been keeping me so damn busy the past few weeks that I have no idea the drama you speak of from yesterday. I'm also pretty out of my family loop right now and not taking care of my body (I think too much caffeine) because work sucks so much right now.

I just want to sit on a couch with a burrito.
  • Options
    ljd2010 said:
    @GlitterFish When people talk about how much cheaper breastfeeding is, I wonder whether they've considered women other than those who exclusively nurse. My son had a bad latch, and I was exclusively pumping from week two. Between the expenses of a pump, pumping gear, bottles, etc. (and of course all. the. time.), who knows if I wound up saving any money!
    You should be able to get a free pump; as far as I know it's covered in the US. 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited March 2017
    Dcwtada said:
    The cost of formula is no joke, I remember reading an article about some parents that "watered down" the formula to make it last longer and it killed their baby. Now I do believe something else was going on but I couldn't help but feeling heartbroken for them. 
    This happens a lot with people who can't afford formula.  It's so sad!  You'd think with the prevalence of it they would have done something by now!  (And by that I mean the government, non-profits etc.)  I plan on EBF but we all know how that can go.  I signed up for 2 different baby box programs and plan to donate whatever formula comes in it to local programs or the food bank.  I can "afford" it.  I don't need it (as in if I do, I will just buy my own) Women are always posting their coupons on our local buy/sell sites for free as well.  

ETA
    @dancegurl1118 Word!  I hate it when people are staying at our house because I can't a) walk naked anywhere and b) can't go to the washroom with the door open.  WE have an ensuite so in the middle of the night it's fine but when I use any bathroom in my house and it's just us, that door never gets closed haha! 

@Chamomile Yessss!  The Baby Brezza!  I'm hoping to EBF but I came across one on my buy/sell site for a wicked price so I snatched that shit up like no one's business!  

@GlitterFish Seconding Chamomile's comment.  No pods with the BB.  I've heard they are a life saver for the middle-of-the-night feeds!  
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Options
    @JmUDuuuukes 07 I wish I'd have missed it, to be honest. I'm still pretty irked by the whole thing and I feel bad for everyone that it directly affected. 

How are you doing? I haven't checked the SCH thread in awhile. Seeing your name made me think of you! 
  • Options
    @JmUDuuuukes 07 I wish I'd have missed it, to be honest. I'm still pretty irked by the whole thing and I feel bad for everyone that it directly affected. 

How are you doing? I haven't checked the SCH thread in awhile. Seeing your name made me think of you! 
    I'll not go digging then!

Doing well have A/S on Monday so praying that's all in the clear and they don't see anything that is reflective of what happened on Christmas night. Will update when I'm done. 

How have you been? (I've been MIA recently because of a new job at work)
  • Options
    I sometimes side eye moms who sell the formula samples/checks, because, they clearly say not for sale. But then, maybe they are selling to get the correct formula, so I really try not to side eye. 

Me (K)-27 DH (T)-30
    2 Rainbow DDs L-10/26/10 and A-03/27/14
    2 Angels- 10/26/09 and 02/03/15
    Surprise BFP on 10/25/16!!! Baby Firecracker is due on 07/02/17! 
  • Options
    Lurking from June...

I just wanted to say that baby's pediatrician and possibly your OB can give you several cans of formula if you ask for it. They regularly get them as samples from the formula companies and in my experience aren't stingy in the slightest. I must've gotten 8-10 cans for free. 
  • Options
    @alcrimmins I hate when people use the term incorrectly and site research incorrectly. My SIL did this to me when I was having a difficult time nursing. It was only our of respect to DH and his family that I didn't  straight up say "bitch if you use a bottle, even if it has breast milk in it that is not exclusively breastfeeding, and most of your research is based on moms who have literally only fed their baby directly from their breast, so back the fuck up" sorry I just got feisty. I am not stupid and I completely understand why breast milk is awesome but life happens and formula is an amazing invention that has/is saving lives. FWIW her kids get sick way more then my formula kids, which was always her biggest argument. I was supportive of her decision to nurse and gave her credit since her babies both had allergies requiring her to change her diet. 
  • Options
    Dcwtada said:
    neludelu said:
    lanie1000 said:
    All the strawberry nesquick chatter has this FTM terrified. 
    Don't be. Experiences like that are far and few between and usually if you are consistent with your schedule you won't have that issue. You just have to be diligent and consistent. 
    What? You won't have an issue if you are "usually" consistent with your schedule? Diligence was not the problem and this was my second baby so I was used to "scheduling" and thought my body would be an ol' pro at this thing.

I get that it is not something most moms deal with and I get that it can be scary to think about especially as a FTM. But to say it's in how you schedule is not only wrong and misleading but you are setting up any mom who reads this for guilt if it happens to them. I would have been grateful knowing that I wasn't alone when this happened to me, and that while "few and far between" (despite more than 1 mom confirming the same thing on here) it still happens and doesn't impact you or your child would have meant as much as my doctor telling me not to worry. 
    Lol take it down a notch with the crazy here. I didn't say you did anything wrong so you taking such a personal stance on this is silly although not surprising. 

It has been proven and common knowledge that MOST breast infections come from mothers being inconsistent with their schedules. I'm in no way throwing shade or setting someone up to feel guilty. If that's the way you took it, then that's on you. 

Now, if you need me to help you define MOST let me know because the short end of that story is that MOST is not all. Some moms do everything perfectly and breastfeeding still doesn't go well-and it sounds like that might have been your situation and the situation of the other WK who was quick to the snark. 

• Options
    @neludelu nope, no snark here! Just in the "I survived my nipples falling off club" and don't want other FTM's to feel like they're not doing something right if it happens too. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    @neludelu all the scheduling and "consistency" in the world didn't save my nipples from bleeding. Mine bled early on from poor latch due to my daughter's tongue tie and then later from milk blebs that had to be released. And by the looks of the responses it seems to be quite common...
    So I hardly think a sample size of oh 100 people at most in this thread is a healthy judge of common or not. But moving on from your stellar science skilled let's work on comprehension. Where did I say that my advice is fail proof? Because I'm certain I said things like far and few between and usually. 

Would you consider your experience to be the norm or did you just get unlucky for reasons that you might not have been able to control? Because just because you had a crap experience doesn't mean everyone will and that's the point I was trying to make and you blew my words out of proportion.
  • Options
    @neludelu nope, no snark here! Just in the "I survived my nipples falling off club" and don't want other FTM's to feel like they're not doing something right if it happens too. 
    So let's not tell FTM's that breastfeeding might turn out to be a beautiful thing and it might work flawlessly. Let's also not tell them common sense breastfeeding practices because YOU had a bad experience. I can't deal with that logic. 
  • Options
    @ljd2010 that's so true I EP for my boys for 3 months before switching to formula and it was super costly between the pump and then all the extra supplies (bags, membranes, pumping bottles, feeding bottles) because you need way more and parts need to be replaced so much sooner!

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    also if you have a wholesale store (SAMs, BJ's, Costco) I highly recommend their formula if needed or wanted :). We would save about $100 a month that route with my twins. I am 100% team a fed baby is a happy baby! 

Lilypie Third Birthday tickers

• Options
    Rae1 said:
    I will never look at strawberry nesquick the same...
    I don't think I've even seen strawberry nesquick since I was a kid!  It's kind of like Tang.  You forget about it.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    edited March 2017
    I'm honestly terrified of breastfeeding. I want to do it, obviously, but I fear I'll hate it. FTM so I guess we will see. Hoping to be a special snowflake lol 

eta @mrsla3 damn you. I love Taco Bell. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    MrsLa3 said:
    I hated breastfeeding at first, after maybe 3 months it was fine. When the teeth started coming in I got bit one time, there was blood, I cried. 

Andplusalso..I ate all of this last night. No shame.
    Image result for taco bell gif

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    Great. Now I WANT Taco Bell.
    Married: 10/13/2013
    TTC #1: Mirena removed 5/26/2015; DH - normal SA, me - diagnosed with PCOS 8/4/2016 - on Metformin; BFP - 10/29/2016!!!, EDD - 7/8/2017; DD born 6/29/2017
  • Options
    Seriously @MrsLa3 that is borderline cruelty. I am still on my stupid diet. 

@Rae1 don't worry, the first days can be rough as you adjust (get good cream and shields) but also don't get discouraged if it is not perfect. And definitely don't beat yourself up if you have problems and pump or supplement/use formula. 
  • Options
    Sorry, not sorry guise I had too. Although I will say a BSC idiot kind of ruined it while I was reading the UO thread.