October 2017 Moms

Pregnancy announcements

So I know the standard is to wait 10-12 weeks to tell friends and family the big news but I'm seeing more and more people breaking the "rule" and announcing early. 

I'm currently only 7 weeks along and have not had my first prenatal appointment and am having a hard time deciding which camp I want to be in. I'm enjoying having this little secret with my husband so it seems to make sense to wait. But then I'm also incredibly nauseous and a little miserable and would love to have the support of my family. 

What at are you all planning to do?

Re: Pregnancy announcements

• Keeping our mouths shut besides a tiny handful of friends that know about our 2015 MC. I don't want to announce at least until my sister has her shower and pops the twins out. 
    Nichole Tampa, FL
  • @ShakeUpTampa When is your sister due?

I have told a small group: my sister, two coworkers, my SIL and a close friend. The only one I told right away was my sister. Two I told because I was concerned about some cramping, one was an accident and the other two I told because they told me right away when they were expecting. Right now the plan seems to be to go to my first appointment on 3/7 before telling anyone else. My H doesn't know how many people I let it slip to :X I'm worse at keeping a secret than I thought.
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @feeislove May 29th but may be sooner of course with twins. Her shower is 3/12. I was last to know in our family (but to be fair she had no clue about MC) I just felt blindsided the way it was announced in front of his family up north for Thanksgiving and everyone back home knew ---side note as I mentioned one other place, her boyfriend is my BIL  :# but DH's family is treating them sooooo differently than they treated us, and I just don't want to be accused of taking the light away from them or something stupid. I don't need petty drama, just need to keep my BP in check.  o:)

Nichole Tampa, FL
  • @ShakeUpTampa If I remember correctly, you said your family seems to be over the moon about their pregnancy but didn't seem to be as excited over your first, right? That's sucks that your can't share your happy news because some people are petty :(
    Me: 29  DH: 32                                                                                          
    Married 9/27/2014
    TTC Since 1/1/2017
    BFP: 2/6/2017
    Due Date: 10/13/17
    pangur_ban_by_sequana-d31ja7y
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • With DD1 we didn't ever really announce. She was a BIG surprise so we told our immediate family, they called around to tell other family and then we moved away from our hometown so most other people (besides our closest friends) found out right before I gave birth via FB. With DS I announced around 9w, I had just had a m/c so had planned to wait but I was too excited after I saw him on the ultrasound. Same kind of thing happened with DD2, I was too excited after the 8w u/s.

We haven't announced this one on FB or anything but it's not a secret. DD1 knows, she's nine, so basically her entire school and their parents know haha! DS knows so his whole school knows. I've had two losses in the last 7 months and I was very glad I had the support of our family and friends. The sad truth is, a baby/pregnancy can be lost at any point. Nothing is a guarantee. You need to decide what's better for you as an individual. If you want to shout it from the rooftops then go for it :) You're allowed to be excited as early as you choose to be.
                                          Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers   Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers

Lilypie Third Birthday tickersBabysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
                                                                     Formerly ChoicesMom
                                                                         "Squishy" 2007
                                                           "Lyric" EDD Nov/4/11 - c/p Feb/11
                                                                            "Fishy" 2012
                                                                            "Bean" 2014
                                                             "Lux" EDD Apr/21/17 - c/p Aug/16
                                                       "Kokonah" EDD May/24/17 - m/c Oct/16
                                1 surprise - 1 Noonie - 1 preemie - 3 gone but not forgotten - One more on the way!!
                                                          Grab bag of mental health disorders
                                                                              Pancolitis

• We have been struggling with that a bit ourselves. We decided to wait until my first doctors appointment , which is in 8 days (I will be 8 weeks) to be sure things were looking ok. But I found out I'm not getting an ultrasound... If it is another four weeks, we are just going to tell our families. It's our first pregnancy and waiting 12 weeks is just too much!! I did tell two of my best friends but that's it thus far!
  • When I was pregnant with my first, my son, we only told our parents at six weeks when we found out. We were due to go to a family wedding but cancelled because I was hospitalised for my morning sickness, so it made sense to tell. Everyone else only found out after I reached the 12 week mark. This time round I am more relaxed and so excited( of course I was excited with number one, too), we told everyone as soon as we found out. People wait until 12 weeks to make sure all is okay, but I figured if things go wrong, they can go wrong at any time, even after the 12 weeks.
  • we won't announce until after 13 weeks or maybe when we figure out the sex on social media but we've announced to friends and famiky. after you see a baby and hear or see a confirmed heartbeat your risks of Mc is the same as 12 weeks. 

• We told our parents, sisters and a couple of close friends.  My rule of thumb is I'd tell anyone that I'd be ok with knowing if we had a mc. I'll tell my boss after my 8 week and the rest of the world might wait until a lot later 
  • edited February 2017
    There is a thread on this right here with lots of responses!

Not announcing on social media. People will find out in a more natural way than a impersonal post on Facebook. I can't tell you how many times a pregnancy announcement wrecked my day - and seeing as I have no way to know for sure no one I know if going through loss and infertility, I am personally not able to potentially put someone through that.

Have told some close friends and my grandma, especially those we will need to lean on in case of another loss. Will tell everyone else individually and as we see fit or possibly when it's too hard to hide.

Edit: was much more snarky than I meant

Renee, 34 + Devon, 29 married 08/13 <3
    TTC  09/15
    *TW Loss mentioned*
    BFP 12/15/15 EDD: 08/26/16
    MMC discovered 1/25/16 at 9 +3
    TTCAL 3/2016
    Acupuncture 11/16
    Dx December 2016: unexplained 
    January 2017: 50 mg Clomid + TI =
    BFP #2 01/30/17  Please be a sticky baby!
    EDD: 10/15/17  Measuring ahead! 10/12/17 
    Ambrose born on his due date!

• With my MMC we told everyone when we found out. Needless to say it was very difficult "untelling" ppl. With DD we waited until like 12 weeks. This one, I decided I will tell people as we want to. I already told my immediate fam and we plan on telling his family when they get back from vacation. I figured if something bad does happen, I don't want to hide it. That is my one regret with my MMC I felt so sad that I just locked it away and never spoke of it. But we won't post on FB/IG unil later like 12 or 14 weeks. Just because that's how we want to do it lol.