June 2017 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions 2/23

13»

Re: Unpopular Opinions 2/23

• Options
    @Wearmi1, when you get out of the military, you need to make sure you file a claim for PTSD. 

I don't doubt it. The issues with Adeline are scary and I think it's very likely it could've caused PTSD, but I assume you already have it based on your military experience. 

My H was a medic over there and was on mortuary duty the second time around, the things he has seen...it's indescribable. My PTSD stems from sexual assault/harassment by my sergeants, as the only female in an all male unit.
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    kahlan82 said:

UO jumping off of this: I have an issue with safe shoot up places for heroine addicts.  I know that studies show it reduces STDS, death etc but part of me just thinks it is wrong.  Like we are okaying this behavior. Sometimes I think there isn't enough accountability in our world.
    Whoa. Had no idea this was a thing.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    EmeraldNC said:
    I am another one on the board that has PTSD from a severe abuse incident from my mom.  She beat me so badly that I had to go to the ER.  There is a lot more to that story.  I am in constant therapy to combat it.
    I am so sorry you dealt with this. It makes my heart hurt so bad when I see that the person(s) that is supposed to love you the most could do this to you. It just simply should never happen and my heart goes out to you. xoxo

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    On the circus is fine and fun mentality.  Watch Blackfish.  Changed my entire outlook.  
    On prostitution, I think legalizing, providing legitimate income and benefits as they do in Amsterdam, is the way to go.
  • Options
    berg said:
    On the circus is fine and fun mentality.  Watch Blackfish.  Changed my entire outlook.  
    On prostitution, I think legalizing, providing legitimate income and benefits as they do in Amsterdam, is the way to go.
    Girl, where have you been? I feel like you haven't been around much. Everything good?
  • Options
    Blackfish is an amazing documentary and the book Beneath the Surface is even better.  Never going to SeaWorld!  Whales are sentient and should not be in captivity.  The same can be said for elephants and possibly other animals.
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options
    @Stankonia2014 I've just been lurking a lot ;) But I'm good and baby is good!  Thanks for looking out! <3
  • Options
    I agree @danijo here in Kentucky the heroin issue is a full blown epidemic. There were something like 132 overdoses calls in 3 days last week. We are all mothers and it isn't that many years away (look out how young many addicts are) that one of us could be the mother of an addict. I would absolutely agree with a space safe being provided here if it meant saving lives. 
  • Options
    This was a great thread to come back to.  Finally real issues instead of the "I hope I have girl" this time BS I took a break from.  

On legalizing mj, why not?  People smoke it anyway.  If it leads to them doing other drugs, thats on them IMO.  I hated it in college so I stopped.  I have friends that loved it and still do and lead successful lives.  I also have friends that got caught up and aren't as successful but I'm not blaming mj for that.  

On abortion - I'm pro-life by faith in that I believe that human life is conceived at conception.  I however am a libertarian/moderate by policy and don't believe that gov't should have more rights over our bodies than we do ourselves.

On prostitution - I think its freaking gross but, pretty much in line with my overall views, people will be people.  Arresting someone for having consensual sex for money isn't really where I want to focus my tax dollars --- although I think taxation should be considered theft anyway (see above political stance.)  

\

DS #1 born 05/25/2012   
                                                         BFP#2:  06/12/2013 ---- loss

DS #2 born 4/08/2014
          BPF#4: 2/1/2016 --- 2/23/2016 suspected molar pregnancy--- 3/15/2016 D&E - diagnosis MM
                                                                   BFP#5 - 9/22/2016

* formally bornmommy

• Options
    mrtmrt member
    edited February 2017
    @Allybiery I saw that too and went looking for it to post here before I saw your post. Safety is the issue, but not for cis girls. Transgender girls with male parts are not going to hurt your daughters in the bathroom/locker room, they just want to get in and out without being noticed. Teenaged boys, however, especially in groups and away from the eyes of adults, could be cruel or violent to a person with male parts who dresses and acts like a girl.
  • Options
    mrt said:
    @Allybiery I saw that too and went looking for it to post here before I saw your post. Safety is the issue, but not for cis girls. Transgender girls with male parts are not going to hurt your daughters in the bathroom/locker room, they just want to get in and out without being noticed. Teenaged boys, however, especially in groups and away from the eyes of adults, could be cruel or violent to a person with male parts who dresses and acts like a girl.
    It's not the transgender girl with male parts most people are worried about. Teenage boys are assholes and you can not tell them what gender they identify with, so that means any boy can use the girl's locker room. This privilege will be abused.  What about the girl that has been abused or the girl with serious body issues, now they have to change with no privacy. 

I really feel there should be a safe place for all students. It's hard being a teen. Hormones are a ragin. I get being transgender has to be so confusing and hard, but that doesn't negate the struggles of others. All teens need to be protected. 
  • Options
    @Wino0920 do you actually know any transgender teens? All of the transgender individuals that I have met who are protected by the ability to use the bathroom of the sex with which they identify are living in their day to day life as that sex. Some of them you may not know were born male unless you makes them before they transistioned. Not a random boy who wants to sneak into the girls locker room. The random boys still would, can, do get punished for being in the wrong locker room. I don't know of many teens who are willing to start living as a different sex just to gain access to that locker room. 
    I don't think that's the point others were making. I think that the concern is some smart ass teenage boy who wants to be difficult one day and says he fits the bill just so he can walk in the other locker room to catch a peek. I'm thinking of the Brock Turner type of teenager.
  • Options
    Wino0920Wino0920 member
    edited February 2017
    Yea I feel like everyone is missing the point I am making.. I do know transgender children and I do know teenage boys. Teenage boys are immature and a-holes, they will absolutely abuse this, to get a shot of some tits, come on!! I've heard of it happening. I actually had no problems with the bathroom situation until this was brought to my attention. 

People think this is so lack and white and they are not considering all factors and all people. 

I was was a teenage girl with raging hormones and a prankster. I would have totally used the opportunity to have some fun, not thinking of who it effected. I did that a lot as a teenager. And I had strict as parents and went a catholic school. Boundaries were meant for me to break!! 

And  s addressing the "you have to look the part" bull! That's discrimination, you can't tell a transgender what they have to look like and what they have to dress like to actually be a transgender. 
  • Options
    Adding my two cents, I was raised Catholic, attended an all-girls high school, and continue to describe myself as Pro-Life.  But to me, being pro-life is so much more than making abortion illegal.  It's ensuring that women have education and options BEFORE they are pregnant.  Sex Ed and access to birth control are just the beginning, so when prolife groups try to defund or obliterate these resources, I just don't understand. If women aren't pregnant, they won't get abortions!

I am also vehemently opposed to the death penalty and it drives me NUTS that many of the same people who claim to respect life are in full support.  You want to do something about murder rates?  Improve child care options and public schools, enforce strict gun laws (if it were up to me, no one would have guns, but I realize this is unrealistic so I see strict laws as me "compromising"), and decriminalize non violent drug offenses.  The death penalty does nothing for reducing crimes and study after study supports this. #soapbox  #socialworker #catholicsocialjustice
  • Options
    I don't really care about marijuana legal legalization except that, like someone mentioned above, there isn't right now a way to test definitively if someone is currently high, just has used marijuana within the last few days (maybe weeks, I'm not sure). My main concern is for road safety and police being able to crack down on driving while high. Somebody smoking in their home has no impact on me, and I don't care about that, but it impacts me when they get on the road, so I wish that would have been sorted out before it was legalized.
  • Options
    @ellie111227, I'm not concerned about people driving while high as much as I am about people driving intoxicated or under the influence of pills or other drugs. Marijuana is the least of my concerns of impairment.

When I worked for a defense law firm, the bulk of our cases were drug busts along the major interstate. We had a case where the state patrol claimed they pulled the driver over for swerving (he was driving an RV on a particularly windy day) and potentially driving under the influence. Anyway, long story short, we hired a scientist to determine the effects of marijuana while driving and the effects were minimal. The guy's case was thrown out due to the scientist's testimony and he was never charged for the hundreds of pounds of marijuana he had.

Now that's not to say that four teenage boys in a car who just got high cannot cause an accident, but I'd be hard pressed to say it was solely due to being high and not other distractions.
  • Options
    Wino0920Wino0920 member
    edited February 2017
    And my boys will be raised to think nothing of this. They will be taught to treat everyone with respect. I know just cause that's how they are raised, they can still do as they want, but I will try my damnest! 
  • Options
    @Wino0920 I think we agree a whole lot more than we dont. 
  • Options
    I have never in over 10 years of working with youth met a single male adolescent who would be willing to say he was a girl (outside of maybe drama class, but really not even there) for even just a second, even if it could potentially get him some free nudity. All the young men I've known care entirely too much, often in damaging and dangerous ways, about protecting their masculinity and what they define as manhood which is often rooted in patriarchal stereotypes and the belief that girls/women are weak and less than, therefore they vehemently oppose any behaviors or identifiers that could potentially associate them with being feminine. It's definitely a complicated issue and all children deserve to be protected, but some are significantly further away from being safe than others and I think that's where the focus should be. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker