June 2017 Moms
Options

Unpopular Opinions 2/23

Let's get this started! Anybody have opinions that aren't about food combinations this week? :-)

Re: Unpopular Opinions 2/23

• Options
    Actually, I will clarify that last statement further because I'm not actually calling out FTMs. I think nearly ALL parents have too much baby stuff. 
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    ellie111227ellie111227 member
    edited February 2017
    I agree about the toys. I really hope I can keep that under control as my kid get older. My goal is to keep it to one 2x4 storoage cube organizer thing plus 1-2 bigger items out on the floor (easel, play kitchen, etc.) So far, so good, but we'll see.

I also think you are right about ask the baby stuff. I don't think you can really know what will be your most crucial baby items until the baby has been around a little while, so i think it is better to wait to buy a lot of that stuff. DD's most used items were a yoga ball and a thing to make her bed vibrate. Totally random stuff not on registry lists, and we did not have our need most of the junk that is on those lists.

Pretty tame, but also genuinely unpopular, I think: I like the stage of pregnancy where people think I am just chubby. I don't care if people think I am gaining weight, and I don't like being asked about my pregnancy all the time.
  • Options
    @ladylolly89 I bet kids having too many toys is a popular opinion! I have two toddlers and I totally agree! They play with a handful of things 99% of the time.  The rest of the stuff they just make a mess with and we have to attempt to keep organized.  I don't buy by kids many birthday, Christmas or random presents and I really try and think out what I do buy them that they will enjoy and play with.  Since we have so many Grandparents/aunts/uncles that love to spoil them I get so overwhelmed with all the crap.  I've been trying to put my foot down and limit what they buy or suggest experience gifts but it's hard! I also have a hard time purging and really need to!!
  • Options
    @JessyKV experience gift cards a great idea! I end up throwing out so many of my DD's toys because they just end up unused/broken/missing pieces. My mom gets us a zoo membership every year for xmas. I'm going to start asking for museum passes and things like that instead of more toys for birthdays/christmas. 
  • Options
    @LMMama I've tried being very specific when they ask me what to get and it really helps! Sadly we moved 2 hours away from any zoo.  I love that idea.  We did Disney on ice for Christmas. It's coming up next month and I can't wait! I also like outside toys.  We had grandparents buy DD a 7ft trampoline for her bday.  I feel like this will come in handy this summer being stuck home with a newborn! 
  • Options
    Ok my DH gave me an unpopular opinion last night.  I want to see what everyone thinks! He doesn't really believe in chiropractors but he especially thinks chiropractors for babies and kids are pointless and dumb.  I've never taken our kids but I go and feel like it helps and I would be open to taking out kids if I felt it was needed.  
  • Options
    I TOTALLY agree with the most kids have too many toys.  My kids have toys downstairs in a couple bins to play with, in their room, and an entire playroom.  My DH and I were just talking about how it is SO ridiculous.  My kids are the first and only grand kids, and both of mine and DH parent's are divorced and re-married... so we are dealing with 4 sets of grandparents (plus aunts and uncles) that buy an incredibly insane amount of things.  Every time they come see the kids or take them out, they come back with something else.  I have asked my parents repeatedly to stop buying things.... It falls on deaf ears.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    JessyKV said:
    Ok my DH gave me an unpopular opinion last night.  I want to see what everyone thinks! He doesn't really believe in chiropractors but he especially thinks chiropractors for babies and kids are pointless and dumb.  I've never taken our kids but I go and feel like it helps and I would be open to taking out kids if I felt it was needed.  
    We take my SS to see our chiropractor every once in awhile... and this LO will be going shortly after she's born as well. My SS's headaches have almost completely vanished from going (maybe 1x/month). This LO will be going as well... preventative maintenance. Plus, shoving your body through a birth canal as got to take a major toll on your skeletal system. 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    Also... my UO is that I do not like Queen.... or musicals. I mostly do not like Queen because they sound like a musical. Lol 
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    My kids have way too many toys. My husband is to blame. He HATES it when I give/throw stuff away. If they never ever play with it WHY keep it for the one random day they might??? He sees it as a waste. I love him, but this is one area we but heads all the time. When he leaves next month that's one of my big plans, purge all the kids crap. There is a post wide yard sale and me and a friend are renting a spot. Whatever doesn't sell I'm donating. 

Mom to Madison- 5 and Lillian 2....and now surprise baby #3!
  • Options
    I have one that might actually be unpopluar..

I don't understand spending money on a luxury car. People always make comments to DH and I about how much we travel and how they can't afford it almost insinuating that we must have so much money or something, meanwhile they are driving around in a 50 or 60k car. If our car payments were that much, we wouldn't be traveling either. You can get a perfectly nice car for half of that price and to have 2 of them to me seems like such a waste. I know people can spend how they want, but we are big on spending our money on experiences and it drives me crazy how much judgement we get for it from coworkers and friends who clearly choose to spend their money differently than we do. 
  • Options
    I guess I assumed too many toys was a UO because nearly everyone with kids seems to have a toy-overloaded house.
     I guess I just don't understand letting it get that way or stay that way, regardless of too many gifts? DS doesn't even have that many toys, and I still regularly go through his toys and clean them out or put them away for LO. We have only a few out at a time and rotate them. 
  • Options
    @JAGinMI I'm with you on camping. I don't get it. 
  • Options
    Sorry @ladylolly89 but I'm going to say that's actually a popular opinion. My IL's buy so much crap despite me putting my foot down. DH has a fit when I say I'm just going to donate it. 

My UO is an offshoot of the camping one: staying in a camper isn't camping. Camping is staying in tents, not sleeping indoors. 
  • Options
    @MKRLTX I completely agree.  Luxury cars seem to be a waste to me.  I like a new, nice car... we actually just bought one... but it is a Toyota.  And that is plenty luxury for me.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @MKRLTX I am also not big on the expensive cars. I drove my first car that I got in high school until I was 27 haha. And it was NOT nice. My next one when that died was (is) a used 11k SUV. I mean I have family members who drive matching BMWs but they make a ton of money. Then I know friends who are probably on my same income level but drive really expensive cars and take great pride in that. Like they posted on FB about them driving up to the dealership in NYC to buy this specific luxury vehicle. Total eyeroll and in my opinion a waste of money. 
  • Options
    @JAGinMI I am also with you on the whole camping thing... my idea of camping is a hotel with no pool... lmao. That being said- I have nothing against spending the day outside hiking or sitting around a campfire... as long as I have a nice comfy bed and a clean private bathroom with running water to come back to as soon as I'm done!  :)
    IAmPregnant Ticker
  • Options
    @EmeraldNC @BellaO21 I can admit that there are aspects of the camping experience I enjoy, for sure. Being in nature, riding bikes, hanging out at the campfire, playing games, etc, is all a lot of fun. I think it's mostly the staying there part that I hate. Sleeping in a tent, even on an air mattress, absolutely sucks, and then everything else I mentioned above mostly has to do with being there for multiple days and all that it entails. So the next time we "camp", it will be in a cabin or something so we can do the fun stuff while minimizing the parts I hate.

Me: 36;  DH: 38
    DD: 7; DS1: 4; DS2 due 6-21-17!
    **TW**
    MMC & D&C Aug 2016
  • Options
    I have a REAL UO and I am totally going to get flamed for... But that is okay...

I take my kids to the circus, and they love it.  I don't believe it is abuse to train an animal to perform.

Ok... I am going to hide now.  Flame away, I can take it!!!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    MKRLTX said:
    I have one that might actually be unpopluar..

I don't understand spending money on a luxury car. People always make comments to DH and I about how much we travel and how they can't afford it almost insinuating that we must have so much money or something, meanwhile they are driving around in a 50 or 60k car. If our car payments were that much, we wouldn't be traveling either. You can get a perfectly nice car for half of that price and to have 2 of them to me seems like such a waste. I know people can spend how they want, but we are big on spending our money on experiences and it drives me crazy how much judgement we get for it from coworkers and friends who clearly choose to spend their money differently than we do. 

I don't get this either.  I cannot bring myself to spend more than $30k on a car.  Can't.  And I make plenty of money to be able to do so, but it is JUST A CAR WHO CARES.  I pay cash for my cars, and I'd rather use my money to take my family on vacation, or on improvements to our house, or on retirement/college savings.  My sister is unemployed and just leased herself a new Lexus and makes fun of my used VW all the time and I do not understand this.  Granted, some people are just really into cars, and would rather collect fancy cars than go on vacations or have a big house or whatever, which is totally fine, but that's a relatively small percentage of people I think. 

DH read an article the other night that said the most popular car for people making over $500k was a Ford F150.  I think over $250k was a Lexus of some kind, and then over $150k was also the F150.  They had top 5 lists by monetary level and Mercedes and BMW and Porsche, etc weren't on ANY of them.  I think the people who buy expensive cars do so because even a luxury car isn't THAT expensive in the grand scheme of things, especially if you lease it, and they want to give off the appearance that they have money (flame away).  A lot of people who actually have money know that expensive cars aren't usually a great investment and don't buy them.  I mean they're rich for a reason, and part of that reason is generally that they know how to manage their money.

That was kind of already a UO, but my official UO is that I HATE HGTV.  HATE IT.  I liked it a lot before I renovated my own house, but that shit is so so unrealistic it's insane.  I hate that people watch it and think they can have the bathroom of their dreams for like $5k when that it not at all the case.  I also hate that all of the House Hunters shows are staged (confirmed by friends of friends that were on it: they already picked out the house they were buying and then the realtor just brought them to a few other random ones for the purposes of the show - some of them weren't even actually on the market).  This is not real life, and a lot of people think it is.

• Options
    kdanjoukdanjou member
    edited February 2017
    I third your opinion @Elyse1384
    MC Sept 2010
    BFP Oct 2011 - DD born July 2012
    TTC again since July 2014
    First IUI 9/26/16:  BFP!
    EDD 6/19/2017
    It's a girl!
    Born 6/26/17, 9lb 5oz
  • Options
    I agree @Elyse1384. If you believe something and would never do that for yourself that is one thing, but taking away rights and free will of others is another. I am all for staying out of other people's business and decisions and them staying out of mine. There is a lot of hypocrisy in many people's opinions and beliefs.
  • Options
    @delujm0 I have read similar articles about income level and cars. Also, they are a terrible investment because unless you pay cash or have 0% financing, you are paying interest on a depreciating asset which makes no sense. 

@EmeraldNC A new Toyota sounds perfect to me!! What model did you get? I have a Rav4 and love it. 
  • Options
    Not unpopular, @Elyse1384, or at least it shouldn't be. :)

• Options
    Im wondering how people who feel the law shouldn't tell women what to do with their bodies, feel about prostitution? No one ever is fighting to get prostitution legal. For the record, I think both should be legal. I will not lie that I hear when women have multiple abortions because  they hate condoms, I will side eye them.

For what is going on right now, I am all for transsexuals using whatever bathroom they want. I do not feel however it should be in the schools. My reasons: 1. Transgender (unless they have already had the surgeries and are transsexuals) is state of mind, bathroom is based on the actual organs you are born with. So if you are male, but feminine, you still have the sex organs to use the facilities with others with the same sex organs. 

Ive mentioned my son often refers to himself more as a girl, then a boy. He loves to wear dresses and when he plays character, it's always almost the girl character. Now, I have no idea what he will identify with when he is older, but if this continues I will explain to him that just because he has male parts, it doesn't mean he can not be feminine and using the bathroom with the associated body parts doesn't change this in any way. I will tell him, that when he is older, he can choose to change whatever body parts he chooses. 

As young kids, I feel it's better that we teach the correct terms, gender vs sex, and that bathroom is associated with sex only.  I think if we start saying if you feel like a girl, go use the girls bathroom. This is going to get cray cray and kids have enough cray cray. 

Although, really either way is going to get very confusing. 

• Options
    @MKRLTX We got a Toyota Highlander with a 3rd row (We will need the 3rd row after the baby is born for the other kids).  I LOVE it!

BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @EmeraldNC, now here is where we disagree, but I like you so I can't flame you, but I will just say that it's not necessarily the training of animals that is cruel, it is how it is done. I train my dog to sit and such, that's not cruel, but if I beat him with a newspaper after he refused to sit, that would be cruel. Also, I believe a lot of it had to do with the environment in which the animals were kept also. 

@Wearmi1, preach girl, re: college. Though I would never encourage my children to join the military just for education benefits (they get them anyway through DH). I will encourage good grades and effort to gain scholarships. 
  • Options
    @Wino0920 I agree about prostitution. I don't agree WITH prostitution, but if that is what they want to do I guess I would rather it be safer. 
    I also agree with you on bathrooms. This is a heated topic but I think at younger ages, under 18, everything should go by sex rather than gender including sports and bathrooms. I think it is the only way to keep things as simple as possible. 
  • Options
    This may be popular but I'm not sure because I see this all the time. 

I can't stand when a parent says "if you do
    this again I'll [insert consequence/punishment]," and doesn't actually follow through even if the kid repeats the undesired action. 

Don't say it. Don't give a consequence and then not follow through, what's the point? Or actually say something you're willing to follow through with. 

Makes me crazy. 
    I totally agree. If I talk about a consequence or even a reward I make sure I follow through! Empty threats don't work! This drives me crazy when I work at the gym. A lot of the girls give out empty threats to the kids and then wonder why they don't follow the rules and listen!
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
    Lilypie Second Birthday tickers