Trying to Get Pregnant

IF/testing check in Week Feb20

This is a place for those of us who have already started TTC, but have started infertility testing and/or treatments. You can express your thoughts, feelings, and frustrations on infertility. TTC can be a long journey naturally, then add in the difficulties associated with infertility and it becomes a whole new ball game. The road to infertility can be lonely, frustrating, and complicated, so let's make this a place where we can vent, ask questions, and support one another.  Feel free to resurrect this thread at any point in the week if you have something to say, and treat this like an ongoing conversation. 

Diagnosis (If you've been): 

Cycle/CD: 

Status (WTO/TWW/TTA):  

What are you doing this cycle? (Testing? Treatment?)

How are things going?

Any questions? 

GTKY: I'm needing some positivity this week, so how do you pay it forward? Or what is one of your favorite ways you've heard of someone paying it forward?
*TW*
TTC 1/2012
Diagnosed : unexplained infertility
6 rounds of IUI and a MC 2/2014, rainbow twins 4/2015
TTC #3 5/2016
Restarted Fertility tx
IUI 2 rounds, baby girl 12/17

Re: IF/testing check in Week Feb20

• Loading the player...
  • @wabash15 just one! In the past we have done two so this is new territory...
  • @adirat thank you! I'm super excited!
  • @adirat I am so excited for your medicated cycle! I hope AF shows soon so you can get the show on the road!
    @heatherdubrow may I ask why your switching things up? I hope your frosty is the one!
    @ladymillil You may have said already but do you have a tentative time to start IVF? 
    @beachbunnyxo123 I second all of @LadyMillil questions.  You can have a very low level of HCG in your system normally but it should not be enough to turn a test.  If you truly are turning a test and its not just an evap line I would push your OB for a BETA.
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• edited February 2017
    @LadyMillil I've used a regular line test a curved test and a digital and they have all been positive but I've never turned a wondfo or another brand, clearly pink not Evap lines or idents. I don't get it. 

Eta
    @wabash15 I feel like my OB thinks I'm crazy and last time this happened my beta was negative. 
  • @heatherdubrow soooo excited for you!! I keep looking for your posts to check for updates!!!
  • @wabash15 mostly because TW I'm worried about twins. I've had some pretty scary/complicated deliveries. So my RE advised we just transfer one to reduce the risk of twins. End TW 
    if this FET doesn't work and we have to do another FET we will put in two embryos.
  • @heatherdubrow its a reasonable concern! I hope this is the one for you!
    *TW*
    TTC 1/2012
    TTC #3 5/2016
    Restarted Fertility tx

• @adirat Ha, I put the dx in my check in today because I knew you would google it! True, but rates of MC (due to lethal translocations of genes), down syndrome, patau syndrome, prader willi, and angelmann syndrome all go up with this chromosomal abnormality. So hopefully the GC will tell us if we have good odds of avoiding those dx or not. Since I work in pediatrics and have worked with countless kids with all of those diagnoses, I am less afraid of it, and TBH, I already have my little girl's name picked out if she does have DS, freak, I know. But H is more afraid of it, and would rather adopt if our odds are not great. I do know we have to do IVF with ICSI and PGD if we have the opportunity to try. 
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @Juneroseruby You know me so well! ;) I understand the concern and I hope you get a good GC. I was able to work with mine to calculate the odds of each outcome and I hope they can do the same for you.

• @JuneRoseRuby the problem is this is only our second medicated cycle after a year long break. I feel it's too soon to take a break again because when/if we do its just going to be calling it quits at this point. 
    NTNP since 2012
    Officially TTC #1 since January 2015
  • @adirat so far the midwife did a little bit of CD3 testing, progesterone testing, ultrasound, SA, and HSG but I feel like an RE might be able to recommend more testing/hormone levels to check. I'm not sure what the next step would be at this point since everything so far is normal but I'm ready to move on to medicated cycles or whatever it is we might need. I feel like we're just blindly plodding forward at this point. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @kaitlink33 I didn't mean to take a whole cycle off, I just meant to take a day, like Saturday, to find what you really need to be happy that day, whether it is a drive with your H and a picnic date, or getting yourself a massage and spoiling yourself for a day, or a night out with girlfriends to chat/cry/gossip, just something to make yourself happy for the day, or a mantra to focus on for the week. 
    32 years old (both H and I)
    Dating 7/2008
    Married 7/2014
    H Type I Diabetic
    TTC 1/2016
    12/2016 mental break from TTC-NTNP
    1/10/2017 initial appt with RE (all BW results WNL)
    1/17/2017 SA DX Virtual Azoo (3 sperm 0%morph 0%motility)
    1/18/2017 STP tubes clear
    2/1/2017 initial appt with Urologist
    2/15/2017 DX H Robertsonian Translocation
    H is on clomid and Theralogix Supplements
    6/26/17 repeat SA: 47 sperm 0% morph 13% motility
    7/26/17 IVF Consult, repeat SA (4 sperm)
    8/21/17 Starting IVF cycle with Donor Sperm backup
    9/1/17 ER ICSI PGS: only 2 donor embryos made it to freeze
    9/13/17 Started cycle for IUI with donor and clomid
    9/27/17 IUI canceled for overstim
    October Plan IUI with donor and low dose clomid

• @zwink1 Ahhh finally some good news! I'm happy to hear things are looking up both for you and for him! 

Your TSH decreasing is a good sign! It could be for a variety of reasons (and will probably be assumed to be idiopathic) but if you've changed your diet or changed your exercise routine recently, that can have an impact. Ditto reducing exposure to endocrine disruptors in some way (especially occupationally). 

What makes you think his MFI is genetic and therefore riskier in terms of DNA? Sorry I can't recall exactly what testing he had done.

• Ah, @JuneRoseRuby thank you. I might have to think about doing that. 
    NTNP since 2012
    Officially TTC #1 since January 2015
  • @adirat, thanks for the info on the TSH levels! I have changed nothing that I can think of since the November test, except that I added CoQ10 to our vitamin list.

He's just done basic SA's, so my thoughts may be totally unfounded when the urologist pokes around more, especially given that his count was initially low.  The biggest area of concern for me is that while his overall count went way up with lifestyle and diet changes, his motility and morphology have actually gone down. Though, morph is impossible for me to accurately compare because the last analysis used WHO guidelines and this one used Krueger strict.  

I worded my sentence incorrectly in that it makes it sound like the cause of the MFI and the instance of chromosomal abnormality were linked, which may actually be true but wasn't where I meant to go with that. It's actually a separate study I was browsing on NCBI.  I have to do much more in-depth reading on the actual results of the study regarding asthenoteratozoospermia that I was looking at because I did not spend nearly enough time reviewing it over lunch and it could be baseless, but there is research that seems to indicate that men with asthenozoospermia but normal concentration have an increased frequency of sperm chromosomal abnormalities.

I'm probably over thinking this and should just get back to my actual job and patiently wait for the urologist to actually give me info that will be helpful before I jump to conclusions...
    I just hate that they know so little about this stuff.
  • @LadyMillil thanks, I think it's a good idea that we consult an RE. The midwife only ran FSH, TSH, prolactin, progesterone, and AMH so maybe the RE can run those other tests and find something she didn't. 
    TTC History
    Me: 35 DH: 34
    Married 07/2012
    DD born 07/2014
    DD2 born 10/2018
    DS born 10/2022

IF history:
    TTC #2 since January 2016
    June-Aug 2017: 3 IUIs w/Clomid = BFN
    Sept 2017: Dx w/Endometriosis
    Oct 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Nov 2017: IUI w/Letrozole = BFN
    Dec 2017: pre-IVF testing
    Jan-Feb 2018: IVF--17 eggs retrieved, 13 fertilized, 9 frozen and 1 transferred on 2/10 = BFP on 2/19!!! EDD 10/29/2018
    FET Oct 2021: BFP on 10/31! MC at 5 weeks
    FET Feb 2022: BFP on 2/15! EDD 10/29/22

• @katherind Hi, welcome!

@zwink1 I wonder if the CoQ10 could be it. My TSH decreased an entire point when I switched (per my doctor's advice) from kosher salt to iodized salt. Your thyroid is very sensitive to things that seem minor.

• @adirat. You are probably right. I can't think of anything else that is any different. I had read that hypothyroidism can cause over production of CoQ10 in the human body, and that it can be good to take if you're hyper, but hadn't actually seen anything referencing improving thyroid production. I'll take it, though!
  • @katherind welcome! I remember having plenty of symptoms on menopur, and I responded pretty well to it. Fingers crossed for you!
  • @heatherdubrow Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who has experienced some side effects. It seems like these are actually pretty common and are usually positive things (even though they are uncomfortable at times). :)

*km*
    me 29  |  him 32  |  married: 4/27/2013

TTC#1 (2/14/2017 - 4/7/17):
    Menopur = 19.66mm (R) & 17.02mm (L)| Ovidrel: 3/14/2017 | TIC 3/14-3/17/17 | *TWW* | Beta #1 3/30: 7.27 | Beta #2 4/3: 11.94| Beta #3 4/5: 8.02 | Beta #4 4/7: 2.24 | Ended as chemical pregnancy.

TTC#2: (4/10/2017 - 5/12/17):
    Menopur = 13.59mm (R) & 21.68mm (L)| Ovidrel: 4/27/17 | TIC 4/27-4/30/17 | *TWW* | Beta #1: 0.1 = BFN

TTC#3: (5/16-present)
    Menopur = 17mm + 13.5mm (L) 19.5mm (R) | CD11 Ovidrel 5/26/17 | TIC 5/26-5/28/17 | *TWW* | Beta #1 6/12: 9.91 | Beta #2 6/14: 13.89 | Beta #3 6/16: 20.81 | Beta #4 6/19: 41.46 | Beta #5 6/21: 24.50 | Beta #6 6/30: TBD - Will test until numbers reach zero.