September 2017 Moms

Worst Pregnancy Advice?

2»

Re: Worst Pregnancy Advice?

• @mightymcqueen yeah I'm not taking any chances for FAS. 9 months isnt going to kill me. I'm just appalled when strangers are like ohh go ahead and have that wine! Do you give just a little bit of alcohol to a baby? No. 
  • @jessieR358 I've had relatives who used to put a little rum/whisky in their baby's bottle to "soothe" them, so unfortunately their answer to your question would be "yes". These are relatives who are closer to my grandparents age than mine, so you could argue that there's a generational gap in effect, but still. People have weird ideas regarding what's "acceptable" for children. 
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • sableeg said:
    I'm just sick of hearing people tell me to "relax!"  I don't think I'm un-relaxed...are they seeing something I'm not?
    lol, my mom tells me that all the time. I've started telling her "this IS me relaxed." 
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • @rhubarb7216 Yes. Obviously. So you better will that baby out so they don't inherit your stupid genes :p

**TW**
    Me & DH: 32
    Married 2013
    Kiddo #1: Sept 2015
    BFP: 1/19, EDD: 9/30

"I'm having fruit salad for dinner. Well, it's mostly just grapes, actually. Ok all grapes. Fermented grapes. Fine, I'm having wine for dinner."
  • On the topic of 'curing' MS--just go excercise, it'll make you feel better. 
    DH's aunt has MS and that would make me want to hit someone.
  • parker0706parker0706 member
    edited February 2017
    On the topic of 'curing' MS--just go excercise, it'll make you feel better. 
    I think she meant MS as in morning sickness not multiple sclerosis. I had to do a double take too, don't worry! Lol
    I think she meant MS as in morning sickness not multiple sclerosis. I had to do a double take too, don't worry! Lol
    I'm just on a roll. First I thought SD was South Dakota instead of San Diego lol. I'm just gonna go hide in shame now lol.
    OMG. This one.  I tried that and it made my nausea so much worse.  If I hear this again, I'll punch the person in the throat. 
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21
    OMG. This one.  I tried that and it made my nausea so much worse.  If I hear this again, I'll punch the person in the throat. 
    It's kind of funny, but when I was pregnant with DD, exercise did make me feel better. 
  • @klcarr19 OMG there have been times I've wanted to say something along those lines, but bit my tongue. I probably won't be as reserved this time around.
  • klcarr19 said:
    kailapop said:
    @Souptin the "spoiling the baby" UGH!! I had so many people including my parents tell me that I was spoiling my son. This always made me SO angry!! 
    Uhm. My response to this after I had my daughter was terrible. To a room full of opinions/family and my best friend I yelled "who's vagina was recently torn to birth this beauty?!? Oh ok just mine. So that means I know best." Not my most shining moment....but I never got bothered again! 
    Hehehe, this made me laugh out loud. What every new mom thinks and doesn't say! Love it.
  • @klcarr19 Thats phenomenal! 
    **TW** Loss mentioned
    Me:35 DH:35
    Married 9/2013
    BFP#1 1/28/2014 DS born 10/21/2014
    BFP#2 7/4/2016 , MC at 7w5d on 7/27
    BFP#3 1/5/2017
  • I also had a bunch of people ask me why I was still exercising after I got pregnant, and especially towards the end.  I attribute a lot of my ability to push out my sunny side up baby (and not need a C section) to being active up to 38w.  
    I pushed out a 9lb, 5oz baby who was sunny side up. I also attribute that to the fact that I exercised all the way up to about 38 weeks. After that, it was so hard to exercise, but I still walked a lot.
  • I haven't gotten any bad advice but at my last appt one of my doctors was telling me that when her sister was pregnant 40 years ago her doctor told her to only drink slim fast and not eat. I couldnt believe that was ever good advice especially from a doctor! 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Oh boy.  My super Korean, superstitious family have come out of the woodwork with their crazy advice.  Top two I can think of:
    -you have to stop watching "bad" things on TV, the negative energy will negatively impact you child.  
    We watched an episode of Criminal Minds before bed almost every night while I was pregnant with DS. He has yet to prove he's a sociopath  :p
    Lilypie Maternity tickers
  • Oh boy.  My super Korean, superstitious family have come out of the woodwork with their crazy advice.  Top two I can think of:
    -you have to stop watching "bad" things on TV, the negative energy will negatively impact you child.  
    We watched an episode of Criminal Minds before bed almost every night while I was pregnant with DS. He has yet to prove he's a sociopath  :p
    We worked our way through Hannibal and the Walking Dead.  DH and I are still breathing, so I guess it's all good, right?  Or is it that they crazy town doesn't show up until they are teens??
    DS1: Born 11.18.15
    DS2: EDD- 09.08.17

Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • @MyNamesTaken  :D  Gotta love Criminal Minds!  I might've binge watched half a season yesterday (for the 4th time).  Haha.
    Together 2007 | Married 2011 | Me: 36 | DH: 38
    Adopted Furbaby: 2014
    TTC#1 : 1/2016 | IUI #2 - BFP 12/24/16 -- born 9/8/17
    TTC#2: 11/2019 | Dx DOR (AMH 0.3), AMA
    IUI #2 - BFP 7/1/20 -- EDD 3/14/21