August 2017 Moms

Reglan or Zofran Pump anyone?

Hi, so I am 12w3d into my second pregnancy with hyperemesis gravidarum. I was on phenergen, B6, diclegis, and zofran (not all together, obviously, just thats the order in which I tried medications) with a once a week IV with fluids. By my last appointment on friday, my Dr. was considering sending me to the hospital because of my extreme weight loss (15 lbs), but I asked if there was anything else we could try. She decided to up my IV fluids to 3 times a week through an agency and she prescribed a higher miligram dosage of zofran. Previously, I had been getting fluids through an EMT friend (based on my dr's reccomendations) instead of an agency. Now, however, that it is through an agency, my insurance will only cover it if I also get a Reglan pump. Any mamas have experience with this? I would rather have zofran by mouth and just an IV fluids, but not sure what the Reglan Pump actually entails. Any details would be really appreciated!
Thanks!

Re: Reglan or Zofran Pump anyone?

• I had Reglan in the ER over the holidays due to a really bad stomach flu. I had a really bad reaction to it. I literally in the course of 20 minutes lost my mind. I wanted to rip my IV out and just walk out of the hospital. I calmed down once the drug had run its course but I spoke to a PharmaD friend of mine and having that type of reaction is actually pretty common with that drug. 

Everyone reacts differently to drugs, I'd just do your research and make an informed decision. 
  • Idk if this is the case, but in my previous pregnancy, we were living out of the country, somewhere where there is socialized medicine and they did not allow me to get an IV of fluids and nutrition at home. I therefore had to frequently go to the ER to receive the treatment and I experienced the same type of anxiety that you describe every time. However, now that we are back in the US, I can get the IVs at home and I did not have any of those feelings, so it is possible that you felt that way because of the environment and not the treatment
  • Loading the player...
  • I get what you're saying. I work in healthcare (both in OR and ER) and have never had those type of issues before. It was like a switch went off in my head about 15-20mins after I received the medication bolus in my IV. 
  • I have the same reaction to Reglan. It makes me go crazy and want to jump out of a third story window but I know people who do just fine on it. With any drug there can be side effects. Good luck and hoping something works for you. I am also a HG mom and I take Zofran and go in for IV fluids when it gets really bad.
  • chayamoskochayamosko member
    edited February 2017
    Ya so I'm on zofran and I think I will stick to that and home IV fluids for as long as possible. I want to correct what I said earlier, they want me on a zofran pump, not Reglan. Thanks girls for all your empathy and experiences! It's really hard to be pregnant, and triple as hard with HG, so hugs to all of you! 
  • Will he do a zofran pump instead of a reglan pump? I do reglan, zofran, b6 unisom combo, and Pepcid. I am starting to hold stuff down so oral is working for me now but zofran pump was the next step for me. Good luck
  • Also have HG here, I've been taking Diclegis, Phenergan, and Reglan all together, and I've finally slowed down on the vomiting. I know you said you weren't taking them all together, but maybe try adding something else in with the permission of your doc?!
  • I'm taking zofran and reglan orally, I don't have the reaction, some of these ladies are talking about. But like previous people have said everyone reacts differently. My first pregnancy diclegis worked wonders for me, whereas zofran and reglan did not. This time I am lucky these 2 meds are working since my new insurance doesn't cover diclegis. I hope you start to feel soon, nothing is worse than feeling miserable 24/7! 
  • chayamoskochayamosko member
    edited February 2017
    Just got the pump today! A nurse came down and started a picc line for iv fluids and showed me how to do the zofran pump. I slept most of the afternoon, but tonight I ate half a bagel and a yogurt and I KEPT THEM DOWN! For the first time (so far)!! I really hope this keeps up! It's helping me!!
     It is very annoying though to be on constant iv and pump, because anywhere I need to go becomes a big deal. Just going to my son's room tonight when he was crying (yes he's 14 months and still wakes up a few times a night :( ) was a huge deal, but it's worth it, I'm really starting to feel better! It only has been a few hours tho, so maybe I shouldn't really get my hopes up... Idk
    Thanks for listening to my ramblings!