July 2017 Moms
Options

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• Options
    Creedon778 exactly what I was curious on! Thanks!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thankyou @Creedon778! I was thinking of skipping out on the Moses basket and just sleep in the nursery room (I have a folding guest bed) and keep baby in the crib but I was wondering if that would work? 

Thanks @LoveLee85 my sister insists I buy a Moses basket or she will send hers to me, I didn't even think about SIDS! Will sleeping in the same room but baby in crib and me in my own bed help with that? I don't know much about SIDs
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    @BusyZee as @virginiaunicorn11 said I follow all SIDS recommendations about in crib safety, however I have never put the babies in my room, they were in their crib first night home. I do sleep in their room until they sleep 8+ hour stretches. I found it helpful to look at recommendations from other countries as well and to read articles on the cause of SIDS. Doing research has always made me more confident in parenting choices. The truth is no one can follow every recommendation 100% of the time. (It's  recommended to BF to prevent SIDS not all mom's can) Also if something doesn't feel safe, go with your mommy instinct it's probably not.
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 beat me to it, nothing to add. Good job! SIDS also scares the hell out of me. I almost needed anxiety meds for it, I'm sure, because I was obsessed with it and his safety for a loooong time. Not that being worried about safety is bad, but it was interfering with my daily life a little. 
  • Options
    @virginiaunicorn11 @munchkinsmama thanks a lot! There's so much that goes into SIDS and is definitely one of the most devastating. Il do more research, I had a fan on my list and keeping windows open, and no blankets, just the zip up swaddle kind of things. Has anyone of you seen the snoo crib? If you get the time let me know your thoughts. I kind of liked the idea of the Velcro on the crib and you attach your swaddled baby to the Velcro but was wondering if that would be too limiting for the baby ? (U could just stick Velcro on the sheet I suppose) 

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=urvVdqBGFss
  • Options
    I went to the baby boutique today to look at crib mattress and found this. It's called the Air mattress, and there is also the Newton mattress, and they both were similar, and completely 100% breathable. You could stick your face straight down into it and you'd still be able to breathe. I was impressed! I forget who was talking about organic mattresses, and both are organic and breathable, so I just thought I'd mention them. 
  • Options
    That's an interesting article. I agree that many people may assume that since they purchase a breathable mattress,  they feel safer putting their baby down to sleep on their belly, which can be deceiving for sure. False sense of security. What I found surprising was the claim that a breathable mattress traps CO2 more than a traditional mattress. I will need to research more into that claim. The article didn't link any recent studies to prove that claim, but I'm sure if I dug around a little I can see if there are any studies to back that up other than the mattress they named that was from the 80s that was filled with a questionable material. I agree that a company should not claim something without properly backing it up with science, so I agree that more research needs to be done in regards to mattresses and SIDs risks. 
    Personally, I always put my babies down on their back, until they're old enough to roll around themselves, then I have no control over how they sleep. The idea of having a mattress that allows for more air circulation is appealing, even for myself, I'd like a mattress like that! But my question to the author of that article would be; what would you recommend as a crib mattress then? Is the claim the author of the article is trying to make that a traditional mattress is safer than the breathable one? Is there research to back that up? That it's SAFER, vs. just stating the flaws of the claim of breathability? I'm genuinely asking, so if anybody else reads the article they can help me understand the ultimate recommendation the author is trying to make. 
  • Options
    @supermom83 My takeway from the article is this: "As long as the mattresses meet government safety standards, they can be used, but they should not be marketed as preventing SIDS or suffocation. . . .  If a company claims that its product reduces the risk of SIDS or suffocation, then it is, by definition, a medical device and needs FDA approval. That requires evidence it actually works as claimed, and so far, for these products, that evidence is lacking."

To me, the point of the article is not to make a recommendation/endorsement of a particular mattress, but rather, it is addressing the claim or implication of certain companies that their mattress will prevent SIDS or suffocation, and whether there is evidence/data to back those claims up. 
  • Options
    BusyZee said:
    I have a question, when can the baby sleep in the crib? Is a Moses basket a must? 

Edit: crib was written crip somehow... 
    the day you take them home. There is no need for anything other than a crib it's just personal preference. My kids sleep in a pack n play in our room the first week or so until I heal from my csection and can move around better then they go in their room in their crib. Both my kids immediately slept better in their cribs!
  • Options
    DD slept in the pack n play for about 2-3 months right next to my side of the bed. 
  • Options
    Have you guys seen the Gugu Guru registry tool? It's pretty cool! I saw it on Pregnant Chicken yesterday (which is my favorite pregnancy site and FB page). 
  • Options
    Is anyone currently using or planning to buy a diaper genie or munchkin pail? Are they worth the hassle/expense? I keep hearing mixed things. 
  • Options
    @lanie1000 We have the munchkin pail from DS, and we still use it for the pull-ups.  It's just a nice way to control the smells, since we don't take out the trash daily.  If you are the type of people who take out the trash daily, then it's not necessary.  We did get ours for free from BRU when they were running some special 4 years ago, though.  For us, it's definitely worth it, and I never found it a hassle.  The expense was minimal for the bags on amazon.
  • Options
    We have the diaper genie elite and I don't love it but it's way better than the standard diaper genie.  It isn't great at containing smells and the refills are stupid expensive. I'm buying an ubbi for this baby.  
  • Options
    Thanks @chiquita928 and @abmommy15. This is really helpful! 
  • Options
    edited February 2017
    Munchkin diaper pail is AMAZING!!! I have both, because some stupid Kmart associate told me they no longer had the refills because munchkin was discontinuing their diaper pails. The internet determine THAT was a lie. Hated diaper genie, doesn't contain smells as well and the whole pull and cut and tie, and tie again was way more hassle than just pulling the full sack through, snaping it shit and then pulling a munchkin refill through and closing the little door. Great smell containment and holds way more diapers per refill pack than diaper genie does.
  • Options
    We had a diaper pail and don't regret it, but I will say, in the beginning the diapers don't smell that bad and there are so many of them that you're taking it out every other day at least, so a regular garbage can would probably be fine. After the poops are more solid, they smell so bad there's no containing the smell, so we would wrap them up in a grocery bag and take them outside immediately. The biggest benefit of the diaper pail for us was that the dog couldn't get into it.  
  • Options
    LoveLee85LoveLee85 member
    edited February 2017
    lanie1000 said:
    Is anyone currently using or planning to buy a diaper genie or munchkin pail? Are they worth the hassle/expense? I keep hearing mixed things. 
    @lanie1000 I don't only because I was a nanny for a long time and I hated having to 'deal with it twice'. What I mean is, it doesn't 100% trap the smell, I don't like having to put my hand in it to push it down(I know they have some flip lid ones but once again the smell factor), and then when it's full it's always the most inconvenient time....and then I have a massive smelly sausage roll of diapers. No thanks. I messed with different kinds for years. So now I take the poopy diaper directly to a grocery bag(I know it's not very green) but I put them outside and never have to deal with the smell again!!!! Also, you aren't stuck buying not super cheap refill bags for a few years.  I couldn't stand when a baby/toddlers room had that funky smell of not masking the poop smell. Yuck. My two cents. 

Eta to tag you! 
  • Options
    We use the diaper genie. It doesn't totally trap the smell but it is what it is and the refills are like 3 for $17 on Amazon subscribe. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • Options
    AdaByron said:
    We had a diaper pail and don't regret it, but I will say, in the beginning the diapers don't smell that bad and there are so many of them that you're taking it out every other day at least, so a regular garbage can would probably be fine. After the poops are more solid, they smell so bad there's no containing the smell, so we would wrap them up in a grocery bag and take them outside immediately. The biggest benefit of the diaper pail for us was that the dog couldn't get into it.  
    Wtf is.wrong with dogs that they have to eat shit?! I'm still going through this battle, but I also give him the benefit of the doubt  (the dog)he's not even 2 yet, so we're still dealing with the puppy stage. 
  • Options
    We like the munchkin arm and hammer pail, especially because we have 2 floors and I'm not going to trust H to run down dirty diapers to the regular garbage. It works well until the diapers get really gross when they are eating mostly solids- at that point they don't poop as much though so we wrap them in arm and hammer diaper bags and run them down (or rather H leaves them on the changing table and I run them down). The plastic ones do hold a smell so we tossed and got new for each baby unfortunately.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    No diaper genies or pails here, definitely not a necessity. We just have a small trash can by our changing area and take the trash out once a day, BUT we don't have dogs... Like @AdaByron said, they really don't stink in the beginning. Now that baby # 1 is older with really stinky poops, I just wrap the diaper in a grocery bag and put in the trash if I can't take the trash out that moment, or take it to the outdoor trash which is close by. I'm all about saving money and sticking with just the necessities, the few steps to the trash can don't bother me at all. 
  • Options
    Thanks ladies for the input! We have a dog who loves inspecting kitty's litter box from time to time so I'm thinking the munchkin pail might be a worthy investment...at least for a while. 
  • Options
    MrsLa3 said:
    AdaByron said:
    Wtf is.wrong with dogs that they have to eat shit?! I'm still going through this battle, but I also give him the benefit of the doubt  (the dog)he's not even 2 yet, so we're still dealing with the puppy stage. 
    My lab is 4 and still goes after that stuff. We are doing a diaper pail to dog- proof as well. 
  • Options
    @oheliza44 don't tell me that. I had hope for him. But in reality he's an idiot, so I was probably just pushing it to the back of my mind he'll never quit chewing things up, not just dirty diapers but everything. 
  • Options
    My dog is 4ish, and doesn't chew stuff in the house, but definitely eats her own crap in the yard at every opportunity. I wonder if its from when she was stray, but realistically she probably just likes it  :s
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    MrsLa3 said:
    AdaByron said:
    My dog is 7 and she'll still get into the bathroom trash any chance she gets. I recently broke down and bought stainless steel garbage cans for every bathroom to keep her out.
  • Options
    oheliza44oheliza44 member
    edited February 2017
    MrsLa3 said:
    @oheliza44 don't tell me that. I had hope for him. But in reality he's an idiot, so I was probably just pushing it to the back of my mind he'll never quit chewing things up, not just dirty diapers but everything. 
    We've just learned to dog proof everything- thankful he isn't a destructive chewer and won't touch our clothes or other personal things but like @AdaByron said, the bathroom trash needs to be inaccessible. His new favorite thing to go after is used Clorox wipes and the cotton balls soaked in makeup remover. He's lucky he's cute. 

Eta bathroom trash and ALL trashcans. We moved our kitchen trash to our pantry so it is completely closed off. 
  • Options
    So I'm thinking I might return the infant seat and go straight for the convertible for my mom's car. The bucket is annoying to unlatch IMO and I don't think she will ever do it.
    Thoughts? Suggestions for a long-term seat? My mom has an older Honda accord. Ease of use is most important, she won't do any research and barely listens to instructions.
    She will have the baby at least 2 days a week though, so its not like it will never get used.
    Pregnancy Ticker

Highly monitored internet and no cell service in the office, so I'm postin' and ghostin' while I'm workin' 
  • Options
    @GlitterFish will she be taking your LO anywhere? If so what will she carry baby in, is she ok with a carrier of some sort? I only ask bc the infant seat was the best solution (for me) to use in multiple vehicles. It was easy for me to buckle the base in to whatever vehicle we were in at the time. But for long term use I have safety 1st elite 65 and alpha omega elite 65.for both of mine. I absolutely love it, when this baby outgrows his infant seat I'll get him one too.
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 Having a kid is so far outside my realm of experience, I really don't know! How soon can they go in a normal stroller? I'm taking 12 weeks so unlikely she will need to take him anywhere before then...
    We haven't even settled if she will be watching him at my house or hers! Or if I will be working locally those days or doing my 3 hrs commute...
    But yeah I hadn't thought too much about transport outside of the car, so thanks! We tested out the infant seats last weekend and they were not as easy as I thought, and pretty heavy EMPTY!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    @GlitterFish we only used our stroller on major outings, like the mall, or whatever. I think DS was 6 weeks old the first walk we went on, and he was fine in the stroller. 
  • Options
    @MrsLa3 My mom has also been in debilitating pain from her knees and back for over a year, so its hard to remember her just walking for the fun of it, but she just had back surgery, so hopefully things will be much better by September!
    Pregnancy Ticker

• Options
    This is a pretty loaded question, so I apologize for the length. There has been a lot of chatter about breastfeeding and pumping and different items that STM found useful or absolutely necessary to get them through. I am completely clueless about breastfeeding in general so this is a big hole in my registry and I am hoping some STM can help me out. First question, do you typically put breastfeeding stuff on your registry? Since it isn't an "exciting gift" I didn't know if it is customary to purchase this stuff yourself?

I am hoping to breastfeed and will be pumping when I return to work at 12 weeks. What breastfeeding necessities should I have on hand with LO arrives? I've heard a boppy, breast pads, lanolin oil/nipple cream, and nipple shields are a must. Is there anything else?  What brands do you prefer and why? Do they provide any of these things at the hospital that you can swipe before leaving?

As for pumps, I am getting a Madela Freestyle Breastpump through my insurance (with the uncharge paid out of pocket.) Is it necessary to buy spare parts ahead of time? What parts will I need? Do you recommend purchasing a hand pump in addition to the electric one? Also, what method did you use to store/freeze the breastmilk?

Thanks!!
  • Options
    Does anyone have an idea for a physical barrier for keeping cats out of a crib/bassinet/pack n play/anything for a newborn to sleep in? Closing a door is not an option unfortunately due to our living situation for at least the the first 4 or 5 months of baby being around. 

Baby will sleep in our room next to me, and I know it's a myth about cats suffocating babies, BUT we have one cat that does like to sleep as close to my face as possible, and while I don't yet know how she will react to baby, I do not want to take any chances that she tries to sleep on baby's face while I'm asleep, because even once is a terrifying thought. I'm definitely going to train the cats with tinfoil etc not to go into them before baby even arrives, but I know our cats sometimes break the rules when they think we aren't looking. 

They used to make crib tents which had the dual purpose of keeping cats out and climbing toddlers in, but they've all been recalled now due to strangulation hazards. Fortunately I'm not worried about a newborn being able to grab the tent at all, so I would still feel safer having a tent than nothing, but they're impossible to find. 

Has anyone seen a bassinet that has a structured canopy that might be enough to discourage a cat from jumping in? Or have any other ideas? At this point my best option seems to be mosquito netting and hoping the cat doesn't aggressively try to find a way in. 
  • Options
    BusyZeeBusyZee member
    edited March 2017
    @oheliza44 all I know is my sister used to freeze her milk in glass bottles! (feeding bottles that were freezer safe)! 

Is anyone considering to buy the Willow breast pump? It's about to release soon. Asides from the price tag, is there any reason not to purchase? anything that would hold you back?