July 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited February 2017
    @Twinkiedoll I have a maya wrap ring sling that I like for when it's hot. I also have the ktan in black but that does get pretty warm. I had 2 August babies that I used it with though, and they we're ok.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Thanks, @nikkiandchris.  Target had the Moby evolution wrap on sale so I ordered it to check it out.  I was eyeing the maya wrap ring sling too.  Is it difficult to use?  I'm super paranoid that my baby will slip out and fall, or I put the baby in wrong and cause neck/head issues. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @Twinkiedoll there's a learning curve and I practiced with dolls before my daughter was born, but it's very secure once you get the hang of it. I never tried the hold where the baby lays in the sling, if that makes sense. Just the one where they are on your chest with their feet tucked into the pouch. I felt very comfortable with that one. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • edited February 2017
    +1 who loves her Ergo 360. The side carry is great in hot weather. 

@Twinkiedoll I am someone who lives without A/C so I can stand heat...but with our first, the Moby was very difficult for 85-100+ degrees. Both we and the baby would sweat a lot. It was a gift, and we were very poor so we just didn't go out with the baby as much because it was just too hot and we had no alternative. If you plan to use the carrier outside, I would stay away from the Moby (maybe the bamboo version is better, dunno...but it's a LOT of fabric). 

ETA: we used the Moby indoors and loved it for a newborn. We bought the Ergo 360 when he was ~4 months old and wish we'd bought it sooner. This time, I bought the newborn insert, but have heard mixed reviews about it. 
  • Does anyone have a k'tan?  I am looking at the active for this baby.  DS HATED to be worn, but with a toddler and newborn, I feel like baby wearing will be a must.  It's already in the high 70s in Georgia so I'm dreading summer and the k'tan active looks like a good choice.  Any opinions?  I already have a Becco Gemini that I got for DS that he literally was in once because he hated being worn so much so I was looking for a sling type carrier that would be cool for the newborn/summer stage.

Me: 33 DH: 33

Married: 6.9.12
    DS born: 4.9.14
    DD born 7.27.17

• nikkiandchrisnikkiandchris member
    edited February 2017
    Does anyone have a k'tan?  I am looking at the active for this baby.  DS HATED to be worn, but with a toddler and newborn, I feel like baby wearing will be a must.  It's already in the high 70s in Georgia so I'm dreading summer and the k'tan active looks like a good choice.  Any opinions?  I already have a Becco Gemini that I got for DS that he literally was in once because he hated being worn so much so I was looking for a sling type carrier that would be cool for the newborn/summer stage.
    I don't have the active, but I love my ktan. I've used it for 2 babies now. I find it easy to use. The only thing that I didn't love about it was that my husband couldn't use it because it's sized for the wearer. But I don't like sharing my baby wearing time much anyway lol.

ETA it's not really a sling, more like a modified moby. Takes somewhere between the time a moby takes to put on and the time a ring sling does.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @nikkiandchris thanks! I tried one on with a display baby at Buy Buy Baby and it didn't seem too hard to get on so hopefully I can figure it out when there's not a salesperson standing there helping me haha.  My biggest fear is ordering the wrong size.  Not that I can't send it back but that can be a pain to deal with and I'm lazy haha! Also, MH and I definitely wouldn't be the same size but I can't see him using the k'tan anyway.  The becco, maybe.  I think I may just go for it! 

DD born 7.27.17

• For those of you with diono car seats. Do you have the radian rxt or the rainier? I'm having a hard time deciding. They're about the same price on Amazon if I get the cheapest colors in each. I have a Nissan Pathfinder (so decent room) and will buy two of these and then have a chicco keyfit in the middle.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @GeorgiaWife6912 it's my favorite carrier it's gotten so so much use and it's still in great shape. I don't think you can go wrong. This is the best and easiest carry for a newborn I think: https://www.babyktan.com/kangaroo

Their videos are great.

For reference I'm 5'4" and about 160 / size 8-10 before babies and I ordered a small. It's snug but loosens up a bit with use.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @nikkiandchris did you go by the size chart? I've heard some people say to definitely go by it and I've heard some people say to size down.  

DD born 7.27.17

• @GeorgiaWife6912 I was on the border between S and M so I sized down, but if I was more firmly in M I would have gone by the chart. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @GeorgiaWife6912 I got the small (4/6 in tops) and I found it stretched out after the first wear until I washed it and dried it again. I'm going to get a moby I think this time around so I can control the tightness. Not ready to dive into the woven wrap world yet even though I've tried them and loved them. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • @virginiaunicorn11 The bamboo one is intended to be a lighter fabric so we'll see.  I'll just return it if it seems like it will be too hot.

I think the other carrier I will get will be the Lillebaby Complete mesh one.  Though I waffle sometimes between the Lillebaby and Ergo 360.
  • For those of you with diono car seats. Do you have the radian rxt or the rainier? I'm having a hard time deciding. They're about the same price on Amazon if I get the cheapest colors in each. I have a Nissan Pathfinder (so decent room) and will buy two of these and then have a chicco keyfit in the middle.
    I have 2 RXTs right now, one RF and one FF.  Can't compare to the Rainier, but they've served us well.  I was hoping that it would be the only seat I'd need for DS1, but he's getting tall enough that his shoulders are hitting the headrest thing at the highest setting.  It's a great RF/FF convertible and fantastic for 3-across, but you'll probably want to get a different HIgh Back Booster down the road (DS1 is 5.5 so we still got years out of it).  
    Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture Lilypie - Personal picture 
     DS1 - 7/2011, DD 12/2012, DS2 - 4/2014, MMC - 12/2015
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • @virginiaunicorn11 We have the newborn insert for the Ergo! It worked well, but was hot! I wore it while walking the dog and dd slept that first summer. You do have to find your sweet spot on you so that you are comfortable and don't feel like the baby is falling. Worked well but I didn't use it for the entire six months that's recommended. I think I switched to a rolled up receiving blanket due to the heat around 4.5-5 months. 
  • megandchasemegandchase member
    edited February 2017
    Another question: how hot is the Moby wrap in summer?  I'm having a summer baby in Hawaii so I'm worried that doing a baby wrap is impractical. I know they make a lighter bamboo version. 

I watched the video for the Tula ring sling. It seemed too complicated for me. It seems like a huge hassle especially for that price tag. 

What are the benefits of the Tula wrap/slings over the others?  Is it worth it? (Sorry if I missed someone answering this already. I didn't see it but having scrolling issues on mobile)
    I had a k'Tan with my son which was a great beginner wrap (similar to moby) then I found Tula as he got older and started getting into woven wraps and ring slings. My lo 2 lives in the Tula ring sling, hands down my favorite baby carrier (doesn't have to be Tula just ring slings in general!) With 2 littles the ring sling was the quickest to put on, baby was snuggled in close so strangers don't touch baby and the best part was it was extremely easy and discrete to nurse in. There is a small learning curve but I promise it is so easy once you get it down!

@LoveLee85 we have the Chicco nextfit and I do love it but now that my son is forward facing at 3 1/2 years old he struggles to climb in and out of it alone because of the deep seat. He can get in and out of our graco that we keep in my husband's car so much easier. We will be switching him to a Diono because I want all 3 kiddos in the second row together.

My one year old is rear facing in the Graco 4ever and I love the seat! 
  • Has anyone taken a diono on a plane?
  • I didn't want to bump the dumb questions thread.  Does anyone know a reliable website I can go to look at car seat reviews (safety related only)?  I have one picked out and am pretty dead-set on it but I'd like to look that up, just not sure which website I should trust the most?  TIA! 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • I use babygearlab.com religiously. They have really detailed reviews and explain their testing methods. 
  • @stokesm21 I used csftl.org to research, supplemented by carseatblog.com.  The first is run by certified child seat technicians.  The second purport themselves to be "experts" of various types, but I never took the time to really dig into their actual expertise.  NHTSA has an "ease of use" rating system, but I didn't find it very helpful.

• @stokesm21 car seats are rated for safety on a pass/fail system so reliable safety comparisons don't really exist. That said the safety issues really come down to proper use and installation.  Car Seats for the littles is an awesome site and FB page where you can get questions answered by certified techs.
  • Infant car seat question: Has anyone been considering, or has experience, using the Nuna Pipa or the Cybex Aton 2? 
  • Convertible car seats: we had one gifted to us last time, but unfortunately the head support and recline option weren't good enough. We just upgraded to this one, and I'm telling you, after fighting with bare bones car seats, this one was worth every penny! Out the door was $299 with a coupon. https://www.target.com/p/graco-4ever-with-safety-surround/-/A-51029646
  • Has anyone taken a diono on a plane?
    We checked the diono in - we didn't actually take it with us. We took a car seat once and decided to get the flight harness thing instead from that point on. 
    I personally love the diono! 
  • Car seats are the current decision we're working on and it's driving me nuts. We've finally chosen a stroller, and I always expected we'd get a Britax or Graco and just get the corresponding seat that wouldn't require adapters at all but we ended up picking the Baby Jogger City Select and now have to make an actual decision. Do we get the car seat that works best with the stroller or with the car? Because my research so far from reading reviews comes up with a different answer for each. 
    I know we have to actually look at them in person and try them, but by the time we decided on the stroller DH was overwhelmed already and wanted to just leave the store. 
  • mrscate88 said:
    Convertible car seats: we had one gifted to us last time, but unfortunately the head support and recline option weren't good enough. We just upgraded to this one, and I'm telling you, after fighting with bare bones car seats, this one was worth every penny! Out the door was $299 with a coupon. https://www.target.com/p/graco-4ever-with-safety-surround/-/A-51029646
    We love our Graco 4ever!
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    edited February 2017
    Infant car seat question: Has anyone been considering, or has experience, using the Nuna Pipa or the Cybex Aton 2?

Stuck in the box: 

We used the Aton 2 and I loved it! I'm glad we'll get to use it again. We had a mishap with our first one (DH put it on the stroller backward and it got stuck) and they sent us a new one at no charge. That one had a problem tightening correctly (the first one was super easy) but when I spoke to customer service they were great and sent ANOTHER one very quickly.

I liked the ease of getting a tight fit on the base, the relative weight of it compared to others, and the shorter length. It just seems so much less bulky. That said, we did switch DS to a convertible seat around 9 months because he was getting too tall for it, but that switch was inevitable anyway so it does not change my opinion of the seat. 
  • Infant car seat question: Has anyone been considering, or has experience, using the Nuna Pipa or the Cybex Aton 2? 
    I seriously considered the Nuna Pipa for quite some time but ended up landing on the Uppababy Mesa in Henry (coming in March) because it's chemical flame retardant free and I'm weird like that haha! If I didn't choose UB I probably would have gone with the Pipa. I still think it's a good choice but I don't have any experience with it. 
  • Anyone use the Spectra S1 pump? I've done a lot of research and they seem to outperform (quieter, more comfortable fit, more powerful motor etc.) the Medela's but looking for people who might have experience. 
  • @supermom83 I am a ftm, and after a lot of research we just ordered a Pipa (look on youtube for a video of the seat with and without the stability leg - that's what sold it for me).  The boutique baby store where I live said it is one of their top two selling infant seats, the other being UppaBaby.  We tried it in both of our cars, attaching it to various strollers, and just toted it around the store a bit.  I did look briefly at the Cybex, but instantly didn't like the way it fit with the strollers we liked and just felt like the Nuna's aesthetic was more our style.

@CapricaAndrea We looked at the CityMiniGT, too, but ultimately settled on a different stroller because the CM didn't work well with the car seats we liked best.  But it was a hard decision for us, because 1) you only use the infant seat for like 6 months, but the stroller for several years, and 2) two of my best friends are a chiropractor and an occupational therapist, and they both holler about not having the baby in the seat whenever possible (instead they say to get a stroller that fully reclines and put the baby straight into the stroller, or babywear).  That probably doesn't answer your question, though... In the debate of car vs. stroller fit, consider your lifestyle.  For me, I'll be getting the seat in and out of a car at least twice a day, but probably only use the stroller once or twice a week.  I'd be way more stressed about the daily inconvenience.  But seriously, go somewhere that you can try the seats with the stroller and the car(s).  Online research can only do so much. hth.
  • mrscate88 said:
    Convertible car seats: we had one gifted to us last time, but unfortunately the head support and recline option weren't good enough. We just upgraded to this one, and I'm telling you, after fighting with bare bones car seats, this one was worth every penny! Out the door was $299 with a coupon. https://www.target.com/p/graco-4ever-with-safety-surround/-/A-51029646
    We love our Graco 4ever!
    I'm so in love!! I even managed to install it by myself, and it's way sturdier than our other one was. 
  • supermom83supermom83 member
    edited February 2017
    @stokesm21 I didn't even think of the flame retardant issue! I buy organic mattresses for that exact reason, so obviously a flame retardant-free car seat is also important to me. I'll make sure to look into it more! Thank you! 

@optbaby2017 I still haven't played around with the different strollers and how the seats connect on them, so thank you for bringing that up. I'll make sure to go to the store again and try and connect the seats and see what works for us. What strollers are you looking into that you feel fit well with the Nuna? I have a Babyjogger City Elite (which apparently they don't make anymore!) from when I had DS2 5 years ago. It's amazing how much changes in the baby gear world in just a few years! It's a very nice stroller (3 wheels, reclines completely so appropriate for infants) and is practically brand new because I didn't use it as much. I'm looking into getting an umbrella stroller so that I have both a full stroller and a smaller one. At the boutique, I noticed the BabyZen Yoyo stroller and realized it's an umbrella stroller that can accommodate a car seat!!! So I'm leaning towards that one, and it also folds up so small it can fit in the overhead compartment of an airplane, so it's great for travel. We travel internationally a lot, so this seems like a great fit for us. I still have to go back to the store and play around with all of the gear to see what fits and if I functionally like them all. 

@mamadcb Great to hear the Cybex has good customer service! That's a huge plus. Thanks for sharing your experience! 
  • @mrscate88 @alcrimmins we have a 4ever and a britax marathon. The 4ever is SO much easier to install and isn't 500lbs like the marathon. Wish we would've gotten two of those. 
    TTC: 1/2014 BFP: 9/24 EDD: 6/8/2015 Sorry for the poor man's siggy...ticker won't load regardless of how many tips I read.
  • stokesm21 said:
    Anyone use the Spectra S1 pump? I've done a lot of research and they seem to outperform (quieter, more comfortable fit, more powerful motor etc.) the Medela's but looking for people who might have experience. 
    I had the spectra with my first. I picked it through insurance because hospital grade just seemed better than the basic Medela. However, i would say I 99% exclusively breastfed for the whole first year and only pumped maybe 30 times to have extra on hand when I wanted a margarita. I was always pleased with it! Not sure what to compare it to, though. I'm planning on using it with this LO too. 
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    @supermom83 Definitely do your own research but I've already done a ton and it comes highly recommended.  As for safety, most sites I've come across have had Uppababy (car seats & strollers) high on their list as well.  I was able to get into a store that had the strollers the other day and took them for a "spin."  I was also able to actually see the Mesa for the first time and it looks super comfortable. The only issue with the Mesa is that you won't find an attachment for any other stroller so you have to go UB for both.  For me, it's a hard pill to swallow price wise ... they are so much more expensive here in Canada!  But a sacrifice I'm willing to make since we plan on having more kids. (I considered getting it from the US but with my terrible dollar and shipping it wouldn't cost any less)  The Mesa has 7 year expiry.  I should mention it's only the Henry that comes chemical-free.  Their names are based on the colours so Henry will look blue-ish in their pics but I was able to Google the seat and found pics from baby shows and stuff and it's more grey than anything.  I'm the same.  I recently purchased the Naturepedic 2-in-1 for the crib and plan on getting a cradle mattress and change pad from them as well.       

ETA

@Texascat  Thanks!  I figured it would be better to go hospital grade for the same price as a higher-end Medela.  Although people say it isn't as good as the hospital grade Medela but who actually has a hospital grade Medela?  Haha.  Unless they rent them which doesn't make sense to me since I plan on having more kids.  The Spectra seems to have great reviews.  The S2 comes with a portable option but isn't as recommended quality wise, as the S1.  I have an inverter for my car so it's a non-issue for me if I need to pump in there. 
  • I was thinking about the graco 4 ever, so I'm glad to see a few people who are pleased with it.
  • @supermom83 we decided on a Nuna Tavo to go with the Nuna Pipa car seat that we liked best. To use the Pipa with non-Nuna strollers you have to get adapters, which seemed more awkward to align and unlatch, compared to the way it sits and disconnects from a Nuna stroller (which is the same as how you connect/remove it from the base in the car). It also seemed to have comparable maneuverability to the City Mini, with a smaller footprint because 4 wheels. And I found it easier to unfold, compared to the Cities (but liked the way the CM folded better, go figure).  Down side of the Tavo is that it doesn't convert to a two kid stroller, so we will need to get something new when the next baby comes along. They might have had a 2-kid one, but I don't remember for sure. 
  • I haven't seen this mentioned yet, but does anyone have recommendations for trendy yet functional diaper bags that wont break the bank? I carry a large purse anyway (granted it's full of mostly receipts and empty water bottles) so I'm used to carrying something bulky. But I want something that fits my style but it also practical, and can be big enough to use for a baby and a toddler, if needed in the future. I have really expensive taste, which will put me in the hole before baby even arrives, so I need some recommendations for less expensive options (under $100 preferably).