July 2017 Moms

Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

chiquita928chiquita928 member
edited February 2017 in July 2017 Moms
Many of us have been throwing our baby gear questions into other threads.  I thought it would be good to have a central location for them all, especially since many will be thinking of registries soon (if not already).

Re: Baby Gear Questions and Recommendations

• My question is car-seat related.  We had a Graco MySize 70 Convertible car seat and an Evenflow Symphony for DS.  We HATED the Evenflow's tightening system.  The Graco was good, but the other day, I went to wash the cover, and the foam in the head surround was cracked and fell off.  I took it to BRU for their trade in, and got him the Nautilus.  I'm pretty happy with that on thus far.  He will be in it until middle school (haha)!  This LO will be our last, and DS is going to still be using his seats, so I'm looking for Convertible car seat recommendations that are easy to tighten, but cost less than $300.
  • I love Safety 1st Elite 65. I have one for DS, and the alpha omega one for DD. They're super easy to instal, not to heavy or bulky, 5 point harness, and seat belt accessible for booster. I think the weight for hers is 4-85 pounds and his is 4-100 pounds. They're basically the same seat just different pattern.
  • Loading the player...
  • Does anyone already have or considering to look into the Mountain Buggy strollers (geo cosmopolitan in particular) vs the Buggaboo? 
  • MrsLa3 said:
    I love Safety 1st Elite 65. I have one for DS, and the alpha omega one for DD. They're super easy to instal, not to heavy or bulky, 5 point harness, and seat belt accessible for booster. I think the weight for hers is 4-85 pounds and his is 4-100 pounds. They're basically the same seat just different pattern.
    I'll have to check it out.  The thing I have the problem with is the tightening mechanism.  It takes a lot of effort to pull the straps tight enough.  Is that one easier than others?
  • My question is car-seat related.  We had a Graco MySize 70 Convertible car seat and an Evenflow Symphony for DS.  We HATED the Evenflow's tightening system.  The Graco was good, but the other day, I went to wash the cover, and the foam in the head surround was cracked and fell off.  I took it to BRU for their trade in, and got him the Nautilus.  I'm pretty happy with that on thus far.  He will be in it until middle school (haha)!  This LO will be our last, and DS is going to still be using his seats, so I'm looking for Convertible car seat recommendations that are easy to tighten, but cost less than $300.
    Chicco nextfit. Super easy to install. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • It's not the installation part I mean...it's tightening the straps of the 5-point harness.  We don't move the seats a lot, so the installation is really only once.  But every time I buckle DS in, I have to pull so hard to tighten the straps.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
  • It's not the installation part I mean...it's tightening the straps of the 5-point harness.  We don't move the seats a lot, so the installation is really only once.  But every time I buckle DS in, I have to pull so hard to tighten the straps.  Maybe I'm doing something wrong?
    We have a Britax convertible, and it is a BREEZE to strap him in and tighten. Well worth the money paid!
  • @chiquita928 I love the Britax Marathon.  Very easy to adjust the straps and the click tight system is a breeze.  I think I paid $270 with tax.  It rates very high for safety and ease of use on consumer reports.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @CarsonsMommy @OperaSingerMommy I'm now checking out the Britax...for some reason I thought they were MUCH more expensive.  What exactly is the click tight?  I'm having a hard time understanding what it does.
  • Ditto britax - it may be a bit pricey but the convertible is used for so long. I know what you mean about the evenflow - we have that one now too and while the price and reviews were right, I'm not a fan of the tightening system either. 

I also like the diono, but dd thinks the britax and evenflow are more comfy. 
  • @chiquita928 The click tight system is the way that you install it into the car (which I know you mentioned wasn't the issue for you, but it's super easy so I thought I'd throw that out there!).  There is a little knob that you twist and the top part of the seat lifts up so that you can thread the seat belt through the middle.  Then you snap the top part of the seat back down and you hear a loud click so you know it's snugly installed.  I think all of the Britax seats have the same mechanism so the click tight is a big feature for them.

To adjust the straps, there is a button you push to loosen and a strap you pull to tighten (very easy IMO) and to adjust the height of the straps, there is a lever to move up and down on the back of the seat- no need to rethread the straps.

BabyFruit Ticker
  • @OperaSingerMommy Got it, thank you!  I think I may just have to go into the store and play lol
  • @CarsonsMommy @OperaSingerMommy I'm now checking out the Britax...for some reason I thought they were MUCH more expensive.  What exactly is the click tight?  I'm having a hard time understanding what it does.
    I am not sure how to describe it, it is an audible click when you pull the strap to tighten when it is tight enough. So so easy, I love it.
  • @busyzee no personal experience but when I was researching strollers obsessively lately, the Mountain Buggy kept coming up as a recommended brand. That's probably not helpful, sorry...it's just like how you learn a new word, and it's suddenly everywhere. That's Mountains Buggy for me lately.
  • Do people like the uppababy vista? It's kind of pricey but everyone we know in NYC seems to be raving about it. I think we are going to go with it unless some new information emerges. There seems to be a whole system with bassinet, strollerseat (? corrrect term), carseat... Also we might get the bassinet stand and use the bassinet for baby to sleep in the first few months . Thoughts?
  • @mj8215 the way a few friends talked about them, I got the sense they were status symbol things but I'm sure they're super nice! I'm assuming they are compact and light enough to navigate a NYC transit system? The moms that raved about theirs were bay area moms so combo of public transportation and car. 

For my needs in LA at the time, I needed the stroller to fold down to fit into the back of a mini cooper and light enough to carry up three flights of stairs (apartment living) - so, City Mini was the best option. 
  • Thanks for the info @caribbeanmama and @acstec1 ! I think for us, living in manhattan, not even having a car, it makes sense. We will be walking a lot, occasionally take public transit and occasionally take cabs. So, hopefully, the trunk space issue will not be as big of a problem. 
  • @chiquita928 its super easy to adjust the straps. That's another thing I love about it!
  • I loved the chicco keyfit 30 for our infant carrier. Super easy- nearly idiot proof. We selected it after reading lots of third party safety evaluations. 

https://carseatblog.com/reviews/ does a lot of reviews of different seats and sometimes cars- it's worth a look. Also shows how to install and how to tell if your kid still fits safely. 
    ***** TTCAL/Forever Buddy to Cour10e******
    -m/c at 11w2d due to partial molar 2008 -m/c #2 2009
    Beautiful daughter born February 2011
    **Ultimate TTCALer 2009**

• Anyone familiar with the kinderwagon double stroller? I have a Bob double for jogging but it is way too big for an everyday and I have a graco double I hate and can't wait to get rid of. I'm trying to find a very compact double that also holds an infant seat. I'll have a just turned 4 year old and 20 month old when this baby is born so I'll need something for the two youngest. I also don't want to take up a lot of trunk space. 
  • munchkinsmamamunchkinsmama member
    edited February 2017
    @megandchase I love my kinderwagon, but as my kids are getting bigger I am noticing it is much harder to maneuver. It also won't work for the first few months, it doesn't have an infant car seat adaptor and the back doesn't fully recline. It is amazingly light and compact. I have used mine at least 5x a week since my twins were 6 months old. They still fit comfortably in it but are small for their age 18&23lbs at 19 months. My 3 year old recently went for a ride I  it and with his 34lbs and my other sons 22lbs it was super hard to turn. I would buy it again because it can fit between the seats of my minivan and takes up zero trunk space, having it be so light has been amazing. I will probably have to figure out something else one this baby arrives but I am going to wait till July so I can see how my twins are doing with walking. I was able to attach a board to the back for DS when he was younger in case he got tired walking. 
  • We got a city mini used off craigslist for 1/4 or 1/3 the price...so that's an option too!     We did the chico keyfit 30 for infant seats. The research supported it. I think it works well on planes too which is good.  I am totally still debating the convertible. I want to have 2 kids, this is my first. Any advice on a longer time good convertible so it'd work for both kids? Or is that dumb and just do a britax or other great one?
  • mj8215 said:
    Do people like the uppababy vista? It's kind of pricey but everyone we know in NYC seems to be raving about it. I think we are going to go with it unless some new information emerges. There seems to be a whole system with bassinet, strollerseat (? corrrect term), carseat... Also we might get the bassinet stand and use the bassinet for baby to sleep in the first few months . Thoughts?
    Uppababy Vista is my system of choice mainly because of the new Mesa Henry (carseat) coming out this year that is 100% flame retardant free!  Makes me giddy haha!  I've read good things about the Vista and Cruz and have done extensive research on both so I think they're a good choice.  Although pricey and while I can afford it, I just can't justify it haha! (The stroller - carseat will be new.  It doesn't even come out until March)  Thankfully I have been able to find some used in really good condition.  I tried to find another stroller that will take an Uppababy adapter but no luck.  I found one but the car seat attaches almost at the foot rest?!  Who in the hell wants that?!  lol 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • ERGO vs Lillebaby  
    Pros / Cons?! 

I'm leaning more towards ERGO but wouldn't mind some feedback 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • stokesm21 said:
    ERGO vs Lillebaby  
    Pros / Cons?! 

I'm leaning more towards ERGO but wouldn't mind some feedback 
    I have no experience with Lillebaby, but I liked my Ergo. However, if I could do it over again, I would get a Tula instead. 
  • @stokesm21 I have an ergo 360 and love it.  It allows for front,back and side carry and we use all three often.  It is pretty easy to get baby in and out without assistance which is the other thing I love.  I have no experience with lillebaby so can't speak to that but have also heard amazing things about Tula.  I think we are getting one for this baby.
  • edited February 2017
    I have 2 Britax advocate convertibles  - I would not use it for the infant stage though - we have a Peg Perego Primo Viaggio (good down to preemies) car seat - it clicks and goes on our Book Plus stroller frame. Love the stroller frame over full stroller in those first months! We bought the Diono Radian because of all the raves and returned it last week - yuck!  Too heavy, too long, too weird fitting in my RAV4 and would never fit in my husband's sporty sedan - he does need a family friendly car but not trying to push him on that for now...

The uppababy vista is on the lust list lol!

I need to go back and edit my previous summary of baby carriers to say that I really hate the Ergo 360.  I must be too short, my waist too narrow, my hips too broad - something about my body type and the size and length of baby is just not jiving well - I don't know what it is but it requires too much fine adjusting to ensure my hips don't hurt and it is so bulky I feel like I'm strapping on up for warfare Rambo style.  I want a Tula!  I need to go to the babywearers club so I can borrow one to try.
  • I have 2 Ergos- Ergo Organic and Ergo 360 and love them both!! I have a Tula as well and don't love it as much although I think DS preferred it for a while. I have back problems so the Ergo was MUCH more supportive and I could wear him for much longer with it than my Tula. I still wear him in my 360 at 19 months and 25 pounds and he loves it! And I love that he's contained! @stokesm21but I have no experience with lillebaby! 

I used the Chicco KeyFit for my son and then transferred him to the Graco 4Ever and 1 thing I don't love about that is when he falls asleep his head falls completely forward and I worry he will cut off airflow- it's that unsupported. Not sure if that's how all convertible car seats are since they sit more upright. But once I could no longer carry him in the bucket from the KeyFit I switched over! 

I love my single BOB but the double seems a little too big for everyday use so I was thinking about getting a glider board for DS but I'm not sure he'd stay on it.. anyone use them?
  • +1 for the britax b ready double. We used the chicco travel system (weren't thinking ahead) and got the britax off of Craigslist after doing lots of reviews. At first I looked at the Phil and teds double but it seems overpriced. We have a britax marathon car seat that we've really been impressed with and so far I'm really loving everything the b ready can do. Ours will be 23 months apart. Also +1 for the ergo 360. Don't bother with the original, just go straight for the 360 because you will want that functionality. We have the ktan as well but that worked best for a newborn and unfortunately my first, born at 9lbs 7oz, didn't last long in it. 
  • I love my ergo but I have been wanting to check into a Lilliebaby. They have the airflow carrier that has a breathable mesh and that would really be awesome here since it gets so stinking hot in the summer. I will say I hated the ergo for the newborn stage. That insert is pretty uncomfortable and again super hot. 
  • @nktrodden826 DS was 20 months when I had my twins, he generally liked to walk and was a good listener. We used a glider board and I also attached a ring to my stroller and tied a ribbon he picked out to it, he would hold the ribbon when we walked through busy areas. The glider board was great for navigating parking lots. I would always bring my carrier with me and baby/toddler wear when necessary. Generally that was a punishment for DS and he would follow the rules much better once he was allowed down or out of the stroller. We couldn't avoid a double stroller but I was determined to avoid a triple.
  • @nktrodden826 I love my single bob too. We did both. We got the double bob (used / CL) and a glider-type device but it was a scooter that could also detach. We never really used the double as Ds1 never wanted to sit. He was almost 2 when DS2 was born. We ended up giving it to my MIL as she watches our nephew too and so it worked well for two babies but not the toddler.

The scooter / glider worked well and was definitely easier to get around with than the double.
    Baby Q born on 7/20/2017
    Baby Birthday Ticker TickerBaby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • I have 2 Ergos- Ergo Organic and Ergo 360 and love them both!! I have a Tula as well and don't love it as much although I think DS preferred it for a while. I have back problems so the Ergo was MUCH more supportive and I could wear him for much longer with it than my Tula. I still wear him in my 360 at 19 months and 25 pounds and he loves it! And I love that he's contained! @stokesm21but I have no experience with lillebaby! 

I used the Chicco KeyFit for my son and then transferred him to the Graco 4Ever and 1 thing I don't love about that is when he falls asleep his head falls completely forward and I worry he will cut off airflow- it's that unsupported. Not sure if that's how all convertible car seats are since they sit more upright. But once I could no longer carry him in the bucket from the KeyFit I switched over! 

I love my single BOB but the double seems a little too big for everyday use so I was thinking about getting a glider board for DS but I'm not sure he'd stay on it.. anyone use them?
    Most convertible carseats have a feature where the angle can be adjusted and are designed this way so that they lean farther back when rear facing and more upright when forward facing.
  • I tried the lillebaby all seasons mesh carrier in store. There is a lot of padding so it will probably still get pretty hot. However, I LOVED the large back panel support. I have scoliosis in my lower back so I definitely need all the back support I can get. That's the main reason I registered the lillebaby over the ergo 360.

I think the Uppababy Vista makes sense in Manhattan where you dont have a car and easily can afford it. My friend has one. She walks or subways everywhere so having that giant basket underneath was critical. The ride is also really smooth which helps in a walking city like NYC. Those features don't justify the price tag for my suburban lifestyle but it did for hers.  

Does anyoje one have experience with the Chicco Bravo LE stroller. The store only had the regular Bravo travel system but not the LE. Baby Gear Lab said the LE is hard to steer and have low quality materials (especially the wheels) but the Amazon reviews seem to disagree.  

I love the City Mini but cannot get over the tiny storage compartment that we found hard to access. We almost chose the GT except for the tipping issues. DH nixed it after watching the Baby Gear Lab video demonstrating the tipping. He thought the ankle weight hack defeated the purpose of getting it since one of the main reasons we liked it was how light it is. 
  • Another question: how hot is the Moby wrap in summer?  I'm having a summer baby in Hawaii so I'm worried that doing a baby wrap is impractical. I know they make a lighter bamboo version. 

I watched the video for the Tula ring sling. It seemed too complicated for me. It seems like a huge hassle especially for that price tag. 

What are the benefits of the Tula wrap/slings over the others?  Is it worth it? (Sorry if I missed someone answering this already. I didn't see it but having scrolling issues on mobile)
  • Chicco Nextfit Zip Convertable is amazing easy to install, tighten, clean, and recline!! Best purchase. Worth every penny! High safety ratings and my son never cries in the car. He falls asleep or is very comfortable while having a blast in his seat! We just did a trade in car seat event with DS old click in go Graco, for a new Graco click n go for baby girl. It's just too convenient, being able to click it on and out for infants, that we will wait to go to Chicco Nextfit Zip until she's older.
  • mamadcbmamadcb member
    edited February 2017
    I have a Lillebaby and both DH and I love it. Very comfortable. I had never heard of it until I went to the local baby wearing group and they had me try one on. I love the option to zip open to mesh and the lumbar support. I am plus size (16/18), DH is a men's medium and a girlfriend who is super petite also has one. We all wear it comfortably. 

ETA: DS is now 23 lbs and it's still easy to have him in it. I didn't get it until he was 4 months so I can't speak to newborn stages. 
  • Another question: how hot is the Moby wrap in summer?  I'm having a summer baby in Hawaii so I'm worried that doing a baby wrap is impractical. I know they make a lighter bamboo version. 

I watched the video for the Tula ring sling. It seemed too complicated for me. It seems like a huge hassle especially for that price tag. 

What are the benefits of the Tula wrap/slings over the others?  Is it worth it? (Sorry if I missed someone answering this already. I didn't see it but having scrolling issues on mobile)
    Beachbaby has mesh ring slings, that may be an option.
  • @MrsLa3
    Thanks!  I'll check it out.