July 2017 Moms

What NOT To Say To A Pregnant Woman

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread like this here, since we're entering the stage where strangers, family and friends will most likely be sharing unsolicited advice and comments. Have you heard any strange advice, backhanded compliments or anything that makes you say "WTF?"

Re: What NOT To Say To A Pregnant Woman

• Woman from HR: "Oh.  That means you will go on a leave of absence.  I'll have to figure out how to reassign your assistant when you're gone."  Me: "I'm only going to be gone six to eight weeks and she'll be still handling all of the things for the person covering for me."  HR: "Oh, I never had kids.  I think it would be better if we just reassigned her completely."

No...please don't act like my position is disappearing and take my assistant away because I'm going to be gone for two months...  
  • Loading the player...
  • lph4248lph4248 member
    edited February 2017
    @chiquita928 @kat0607
    The "you just waits" are so obnoxious. A huge part of the reason is that it's coupled with this perspective that once you've had kids, you KNOW what having kids is like. No, you know what having kids is like FOR YOU. I've even encountered people who think they know what having kids is like because they babysat. Sure, you have experience caring for young children, but you've never been a mom, and you're not ME, so please stop telling me what eating and sleeping schedule my child will be on.
    ~DD arrived July 4, 2017~
  • On that same token, today a co-worker says to me: "Well, no matter if it's a boy or a girl, it'll be spoiled and mean to you and make your life miserable until it's about 20 years old!"

Ummmmmm what the actual f*%#? How am I supposed to respond to that? Some people act like pregnancy just "happened" to me and now my life is a ticking time bomb before all hell breaks loose when the baby is born. Why would anyone assume my child is going to be mean and spoiled? I don't get it. 
  • @kat0607 Wow, smh.  I think we need to come up with a great response to shit like that.
  • "Wow, you got pregnant!"
    -My lovely husband after coming home from a three week trip and seeing how I popped.  :s Cause I totally didn't feel huge enough already...

"But don't you want to contribute to society?"
    -Regarding my decision to be a stay at home parent to my son

"Oh, I hope it's not a girl! Girls are awful!"
    -My lovely mother in law who, for the record, had two sons and no daughters
    Married 25 May, 2013
    William Alexander born 18 September, 2015
    Harper Grace born 9 June, 2017
    Colton Miles born 9 June, 2017
    Bowen James due 19 June, 2019
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Haha I had a thread about "condescending crap people say to you" a while back and "just wait" was definitely on there!  It makes my blood boil too.  My sister is the worst.  My BF on the other hand is supportive and gives me advice without being a jerk about it. My sister just likes to play the 'poor me' game all the time.  Like, you have a pretty stellar life and pretty great kids so zip it!  My Mom is always so angry at how my sister is constantly pulling the 'I have kids' line.  

Mine is when we announced and bunch of people said, "Finally!"  Oh I'm sorry that I had a planned pregnancy and waited until I was really ready.  I don't see why that's a problem?  Yes, I'm 29.  Did I think I was going to have kids sooner?  You betcha!  But now that I did wait I am so happy that I did.  Zero regrets.  Another is how my MIL talks about DH's pregnant niece.  She's 18.  Please don't compare us.  I'm married, I own my own home, I didn't have random sex with some random guy and get pregnant.  Just don't ffs!!! 
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • @stokesm21 sorry for not just bumping the original thread! I wasn't sure if there was one, but I thought I remembered seeing it a long while back, so I just a new one. 
    But also, I would hate being compared to your DH's niece like you said. My DH's cousin is also pregnant (I think a couple weeks behind me) so I'm sure there will be constant comparison, even if no one says anything out loud. Luckily my MIL and FIL are very supportive and aren't the type to make comments. 
  • @stokesm21 Haha I'm pretty sure I was the one that brought up "you just wait" in that thread, too.  Oops...It just infuriates me!!
  • kerils said:
    @ktewart Umm, you are contributing to society by raising another human and doing it in the best way you think you can. Sheesh. 
    People sure have opinions about this whichever choice you make, don't they?
  • tuxielove93tuxielove93 member
    edited February 2017
    @stokesm21 I remember you mentioning that about your niece. So annoying. DH has a cousin who got pregnant (at 18 with a guy who she had just started dating who already has a six year old from a different relationship) and is due in April. Whatever makes her happy, but the comments I've heard you getting would have bothered me too. We're so removed from that part of the family that I haven't gotten any comments yet, thankfully. 

@CPR79 I'm not entirely sure if I'm reading too much into your comment. Are you directing that at me or at society at large? Society at large, I'm 100% with you. I had someone tell me that "my kids will grow up, and what will I do then?" when I said that I want to be a SAHM. It was like I couldn't possibly have a "career" or job or mission if I didn't do it now. If you're directing at me, I'm sorry if that's what you read, but I was 100% not judging anyone. That's why I said " the best way YOU think YOU can". I couldn't care less how anyone wants to raise their kids, whether SAH, WAH, or having a job outside of the house. Whatever you have to do, whatever you think is best for your family. It's kind of how I feel about everything when it comes to parenting, which is why I pretty much stay out of parenting discussions on this board, and everywhere else for that matter. I have my opinions about what I want to do, but that's it. My kids, my problem, your kids, your problem. 

Edit: forgot to add something 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    kat0607 said:
    @stokesm21 sorry for not just bumping the original thread! I wasn't sure if there was one, but I thought I remembered seeing it a long while back, so I just a new one. 
    But also, I would hate being compared to your DH's niece like you said. My DH's cousin is also pregnant (I think a couple weeks behind me) so I'm sure there will be constant comparison, even if no one says anything out loud. Luckily my MIL and FIL are very supportive and aren't the type to make comments. 
    Oh no worries at all!  I actually forgot about it until you posted this.  It's nice to revive the topic because I know I can go on forever about the stupid crap people say to me haha!    

We aren't close to DH's siblings on his Dad's side at all.  His sister is okay, although we don't really know her, but we hate his brother whose daughter is the pregnant one.  His bio Dad's side of the family are just not the greatest people.  DH was never around them as kids then went around when he was a teenager only to find out why his Mom kept him away from them his entire life.  Honestly, they're really all just a bunch of losers!  We really don't even see MIL that much despite living 10 minutes away from each other so thankfully I won't have to listen to it often lol!   
  • Rae1 said:
    Yesterday, a male coworker asked me if I had decided yet if I was going to do a 'natural' birth or not. Apparently he meant to say 'vaginal' because he followed it up with 'definitely make sure you get the epidural; you'll need it'. UMM WHAT?! Why is any of this your business...let along workplace appropriate conversation??
    Hahahaha I'm sorry but this made me laugh. Does the guy even have kids? If he did, I'd say he probably had good intentions after seeing his wife/SO give birth. Still inappropriate though.:lol:
  • 2 under 2, your going to have your hands full.
    Yes, I am completely aware of this, it was a choice, we planned it this way, we can handle it.

Your ONLY __ weeks along?  Your huge/ enormous/ to big/ are you sure there's only 1?
    Thanks, nothing like being called enormous to boost the ego! (I REALLY hate the word enormous) and to be honest, this is my second round and I have very little tolerance for that shit this time and have no problem voicing that.

I am with you ladies on the "just you wait" comments. Yes, at some point my kid will get sick/ start teething/ potty train/ whatever... but it won't be the same as when your kid did.  And when your snuggling your new little baby who cares about that. You should be soaking up the moments that are happening now. I have always tried really hard to not offer advice unless asked for it.  
    Married:09/27/14 
    Baby N-Born:10/29/15
    Our Angel: EDD: 05/11/17. MC at 6 weeks
    Baby #2- EDD: 07/18/17

• kat0607 said:
    Rae1 said:
    Yesterday, a male coworker asked me if I had decided yet if I was going to do a 'natural' birth or not. Apparently he meant to say 'vaginal' because he followed it up with 'definitely make sure you get the epidural; you'll need it'. UMM WHAT?! Why is any of this your business...let along workplace appropriate conversation??
    Hahahaha I'm sorry but this made me laugh. Does the guy even have kids? If he did, I'd say he probably had good intentions after seeing his wife/SO give birth. Still inappropriate though.:lol:
    He has 1 kid, but he isn't with the mom (never married). I am not sure if he was present for the birth or not. He is just the type of guy that has 0 filter and honestly doesn't even realize how inappropriate he is. He is constantly making sexist comments or just being a dbag in general. 
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • kerils said:
    @stokesm21 I remember you mentioning that about your niece. So annoying. DH has a cousin who got pregnant (at 18 with a guy who she had just started dating who already has a six year old from a different relationship) and is due in April. Whatever makes her happy, but the comments I've heard you getting would have bothered me too. We're so removed from that part of the family that I haven't gotten any comments yet, thankfully. 

@CPR79 I'm not entirely sure if I'm reading too much into your comment. Are you directing that at me or at society at large? Society at large, I'm 100% with you. I had someone tell me that "my kids will grow up, and what will I do then?" when I said that I want to be a SAHM. It was like I couldn't possibly have a "career" or job or mission if I didn't do it now. If you're directing at me, I'm sorry if that's what you read, but I was 100% not judging anyone. That's why I said " the best way YOU think YOU can". I couldn't care less how anyone wants to raise their kids, whether SAH, WAH, or having a job outside of the house. Whatever you have to do, whatever you think is best for your family. It's kind of how I feel about everything when it comes to parenting, which is why I pretty much stay out of parenting discussions on this board, and everywhere else for that matter. I have my opinions about what I want to do, but that's it. My kids, my problem, your kids, your problem. 

Edit: forgot to add something 
    No no no I did not mean you, I totally meant society at large! I am perfectly happy for any personal choice someone makes for themselves. I did not read your comment as judging. I know moms that choose both, and it seems no matter what you choose some people will butt in with their opinion. I am happy to discuss my choice, discuss not defend is the key there. No one should feel they have to defend their choice. 
  • stokesm21stokesm21 member
    edited February 2017
    @ktewart I watched an ultrasound video on Youtube or something and the woman legitimately had no idea how twins could happen through normal conception.  She kept saying, "But we did it natural!"  I laughed.  She blamed her husband then found out it was actually her body that did it because she ovulated 2 eggs haha!   +1 on everything you said though.  I have a manager going through IVF and I root for her all the damn time.  IVF or "natural" (psshht - whatever that means lol) creating a life is creating a life.  If you ask me, conceiving my baby was fun but not so much for her! I know what she's gone through with the meds and the shots and all her procedures and I'd like to think she's got it way worse than me.  Mad respect for that woman, seriously!   
  • @CPR79 Haha that's what I thought. Don't mind me, I'm having some kind of issue with either a muscle or a nerve in my  butt and it's making it really hard to walk and making me super grumpy. 

Re: IVF. I have mad respect for women who go through that. Pre-pregnancy my husband and I were actually really concerned that we would be infertile, or at least have a really hard time conceiving (boy were we wrong). I told him whenever it came up that I really wasn't sure I could go through all of that. 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • "I have to handle this all day." -mail guy when being asked to not have the pregnant lady sign the mail delivery PDA. 

Back story, I'm not the usual person that signs for the stuff. The person that normally does was in the restroom yesterday when he came through with his lunch time delivery. This is an internal delivery company. He literally only had to wait 30s for her to return but made me do it instead. It's sick season and my coworker asked him to just wait for her to get back since I'm pregnant and can't take hardly anything if I get sick. He seriously used the "I have to handle the thing all day" card when we asked him to wait for her from now on. I wouldn't have even gotten upset with him if he hadn't have been an ass about it. 
  • stokesm21 said:
    I have a manager going through IVF and I root for her all the damn time.  IVF or "natural" (psshht - whatever that means lol) creating a life is creating a life.  If you ask me, conceiving my baby was fun but not so much for her! I know what she's gone through with the meds and the shots and all her procedures and I'd like to think she's got it way worse than me.  Mad respect for that woman, seriously!   
    If you want to know what IVFer's call non-IVF pregnancies, "free sex baby" is a popular term  ;) they're all natural, took an egg and a sperm and are made of baby-plasm!
  • @BusyZee number 2 made me LOL. A good comeback question could be "Oh good to know! By the way when was the last time you and your husband/wife had sex?"
  • My favorite so far was from my friend who said to me, you should have just adopted. You have such a great body, with twins you are going to get huge, and lord knows I can't be seen with fat friends.  She is a sweetheart huh? 
  • ESG7417 said:
    My favorite so far was from my friend who said to me, you should have just adopted. You have such a great body, with twins you are going to get huge, and lord knows I can't be seen with fat friends.  She is a sweetheart huh? 
     :| 
  • @MrsN092714 The 2 under 2 comments from my mother are so annoying. Like I'm aware I'll have my hands full. But you barely help me with one, so don't concern yourself, I got this. 

@BusyZee 2! Lol my husband saw more than probably preferred, and 6 weeks post baby couldn't come soon enough for us. 
  • There aren't a lot of comments that can bother me honestly. With my last pregnancy an old acquaintance from church said it was obvious that I was pregnant because my body was already starting to "store fat". That one hurt a little, because at that point, I had actually lost weight and didn't even have a bump yet haha! 
  • Are you having twins? 
    - this happened to me all the time during my first pregnancy. The sad thing was *tw* that I lost a twin and was pretty devastated by it. 

We hope you'll have a boy because girls don't love their moms. 
    -maybe because the moms telling me this are a little "beachy"?? 
    Pregnancy Ticker

Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • After I told a coworker I'm pregnant, he said, "oh, are you coming back? All the women at my old office used their maternity leave and then just quit."  :#
  • When are you due? OH!  July?! That's awful!  You'll be miserable!  Sucks to be you! You should have planned for late spring!

Thanks, I'm aware it's Texas and the heat is insane.  I'll be inside my nice A/C filled house thank you very much.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
This discussion has been closed.
Choose Another Board
Search Boards
"
"