July 2017 Moms

Weight Gain Tools

I don't know if anyone else is as concerned about weight gain as I am, but I finally found a really useful tool and wanted to share it in case anyone else is having a problem figuring it out like I am. It's just a website, no sign up or anything, with a calculator that you put your pre-pregnancy weight in, and then it spits out a chart with weight ranges that are within the norm for every week. I am not at all affiliated, I found it through a google search. Website: https://www.calculator.net/pregnancy-weight-gain-calculator.html

Personally, I'm vegan and concerned that I won't gain enough weight because the way I eat is really not conducive to weight gain. Thankfully I am on track, but my weight has fluctuated almost every week, up, down, up, down, so it's been worrying me. I think I need to start weighing more often than once a week. 

Hubby and Me
Friends since 2008
Started dating: July 1st, 2013
Engaged: July 1st, 2014
Married: July 1st, 2016
R born: July 8th, 2017
N born: June 30th, 2019
Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
(maybe I only ovulate in October XD)

Re: Weight Gain Tools

• @kerils Thanks for this!  I was just coming on to ask weight gain questions.  At my last Dr's appointment I had lost more weight. She wasn't concerned but just said that I, "must be eating really healthy."  Especially now with this slow vegetarian - vegan transition, I packed my lunch today full of fruits and veggies thinking, "How am I suppose to gain eating all this?"  LOL!  It's crazy that we're actually hoping to gain for once in our lives :P  Again, this chart is great.  I'm not on track at all but hopefully that will start changing.   
    Me: 29 DH: 31 SS: 12
    Met: 08/2001 Dating: 07/2004 ~ Engaged: 11/2009 ~ Married: 06/2011
    TTC: Since 09/16 ~ BFP 10/28/16 ~ EDD 7/5/17
    Team Pink * Canadian Bumpie
  • Thanks!  I have only gained about 3-4 pounds in 15 weeks so I was starting to worry.  This is very helpful. 
  • Loading the player...
  • @stokesm21 Yeah I'm having that concern. I've been adding oils back to my cooking, even though I only cooked with water before this, added in a vegan mayo to get even more fats, and have been eating potato chips and ice cream. The potato chips cause I've been craving them, the ice cream because I just needed food to taste good. Plus, all the carbs. Just all of them. Thanks to m/s problems I really haven't been able to eat the way I want. I'm still on the lowest end of it, which I'm fine with as long as it keeps going up. 
    @Twinkiedoll I've really only gained 5 pounds in 17 weeks and I'm still within norm. I did adjust it to one pound less than my "pre-pregnancy" weight. I did measure at that weight at one point in my pregnancy. In truth I hadn't measured myself in quite awhile when I got pregnant, and I had just come back from Italy, where I had a terrible time finding food and walked pretty much everywhere during those ten days. I can't remember anymore how many miles we walked, but I know Rome alone in one day was 12 miles. Probably something like 30-35 total in ten days. If I didn't lose weight during all of that I would be shocked, so I'm comfortable knocking it down a pound. 

So glad I'm not the only one worried. My OB (not my new midwife) when I asked her about calorie counting looked at my like I was crazy. I've just been trying to eat when I'm hungry, but between the extreme food aversions and the nausea that's still persisting, it makes it hard. I don't know if maybe she thought I was trying to "lose" weight, or not gain a lot, but I'm actually just worried about gaining enough, and I feel like she just didn't listen to me at all. That appointment above all the others one made me want to switch more than ever. She didn't even take my question seriously. She was like "we monitor your weight, don't you worry about it". Umm, wouldn't it be better if I tracked it weekly rather than monthly and did something about it sooner rather than later? 
    Hubby and Me
    Friends since 2008
    Started dating: July 1st, 2013
    Engaged: July 1st, 2014
    Married: July 1st, 2016
    R born: July 8th, 2017
    N born: June 30th, 2019
    Baby #3 Due: July 7th, 2022
    (maybe I only ovulate in October XD)
  • I'm in the same boat.  Since my BFP I've lost 12 pounds.  I mentioned this to my doctor last night and she wasn't concerned.  She told me that with her son she only gained 8 pounds, and he was 8 pounds.  She told me as long as I am eating 3 meals and snack throughout the day, drinking enough water and exercising, not to be worried.  She said baby takes what baby needs and leaves you the rest.  
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• I'm on the other side of the spectrum as I don't want to gain too much weight as I was already overweight prepregnancy.  I'm supposed to gain between 15-25 this pregnancy and have put on 5 thus far.  I haven't been working out as much as I would want but trying to eat moderately and healthy as much as possible is my mantra these days.  This website says I'm right on track so that's helpful.  Thanks for the link!
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Thanks for the link!  My family has an issue with obesity and I have a hard time mentally when I gain weight.  It's good to have an example of what should be happening.  One of my friends claims she gained 60 pounds all in the third trimester, after not gaining anything until then (I'm not sure of the veracity of that), but the thought of gaining anywhere near 60 pounds is very scary to me.
  • edited February 2017
    I was very concerned about gaining weight with my first, as in I had a goal of less than 20lbs. I was normal BMI when I got pregnant with my son, and gained 17lbs, and he came out 7lbs 9.9 oz. Perfectly healthy. You do not need to gain a bunch of fat to support your baby. Think about it, a baby takes what it needs, and you take what you need, and the rest, the extra, gets stored as fat. So you really do not have to eat for two. The fetus will take what it needs no matter what, and if you aren't getting enough calcium, he/she will leach it out of your bones. So take your vitamins, eat/drink your dairy or take tums every day for the extra calcium and rat healthy ladies with the occasional treat!

ETA I did NOT diet, just ate fruits, veggies and lean meats. And alot of watermelon.
  • JAM85JAM85 member
    edited February 2017
    Well coming from a place of history of an eating disorder, weight gain a definitely a sensitive point. Last pregnancy I started 25# heavier than I did this one and only gained 15# despite not really being active and just strived to eat ok as I had a lot of food aversions and she was perfect. This time it's 18 weeks and I've gained 15# already but it's all in my stomach. I look like I'm 26w pregnant and swallowed a basketball. And I workout 5-6x a week and track my food! Baby boy is on track and healthy and I'm trying to focus on that instead of weight gain. It's all relative and as long as you are striving to be healthy and balanced and your doctor isn't concerned it's all good 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Pre Pregnancy I was overweight and with all my doctors appointments, no one has ever discussed weight. I kept waiting on it to come up. yesterday I finally asked since im 18w and have lost 3lbs. My doctor said he doesnt believe in weight gain ranges since baby needs what it needs. He said unless the baby starts getting too big or im getting unhealthy, he's not concerned. He said he would like me to gain at least 10lbs and no more than 40lbs. He told me that if I dont gain at all he's ok as long as the baby is healthy and because I still have m/s. I felt a lot of relief because I had been stressing about packing it on, knowing it will be hard to lose. Despite this, I failed my glucose test yesterday :(
    ME: 28 DH: 27
    Started Dating: 10/20/2006
     Married: 10/20/2013
    MMC @ 8w 12/15
    MC @ 5w 03/16
    ALEXANDER JAMES DUE JULY 15th!

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • I personally gained the most weight within five weeks of being pregnant, after that' iv only gained an extra 1.5 despite having tons of bread. I usually watch what I eat  like doing juice diets to stay slim (I'm lazy about exercising I have to admit!) so considering my "when I don't try to lose weight" weight compared to my current weight at almost 16 weeks iv gained 8lbs and six lbs of it very earlier on. Some days I even lose a lb when I haven't had much to eat. I was wondering if that happened to anyone else? 

• I'm having the opposite problem as many of you - I had a doctor's visit today and apparently I've gained too much weight.  I don't even want to say how much, because it's an embarrassing amount. I'm not too surprised - dealing with nausea/vomiting has involved lots of carbs and not much exercise.  My doctor wasn't too worried, but I have to make more of an effort to exercise and switch my mindset from "eat anything that sounds good because I'm pregnant and sick" to "make healthy choices."  Blah.  Anyway, this website will be helpful for my own weigh-ins between appointments.  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Had a doc appt this morning and they are concerned I'm down 4 lbs since my first visit almost two months ago and want me to gain this back by (at first they said 20 weeks, but then changed) 25 weeks.  Then said they want me to gain another 5 at least by the time my due date comes around.  I'm honestly not "watching" what I eat, but I'm eat fairly healthy with some junk from time to time and exercising at least twice a week for 30 mins.  I'm really not sure what else to do.

This is weird territory for me because if you've seen some of my early posts, I lost over 70 lbs in the last 8 months so that I could get pregnant and I'm still overweight now, but I'm having trouble putting the weight on that they want me to.  I am finally able to maintain because from conception to now I'm down around 16 lbs per my scales, so maintaining for me was a huge achievement.  Again, very weird because I am still about 215 lbs and I can't seem to put weight on they way they want me to.  I just figured with the baby getting bigger it would just kind of happen, so now I'm not sure.

Me: 26  Him: 27
    Dating: 5/2011 Married: 6/2014

Mirena out/TTC: 02/2016

BFP #1: 12/01/2016

EDD: 07/24/2017

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maybeitsmadeline I think it's strange that they want you to put that weight on already. When you're overweight, you're only supposed to gain 11-20 pounds total. My dr was glad that I haven't gained anything, yet. Baby will take what he or she needs.
  • @chiquita928 I'm guessing they know I'll have a harder time gaining it because I had gastric sleeve surgery in October and without realizing it got pregnant in October as well, so the amounts of food I'm able to take in at one time is significantly less than the average pregnant woman.  I know there's some concern on how many nutrients I'm absorbing, but I'm really at a loss for how to put weight back on.  I'm constantly eating small meals and snacks and my calorie intake is fairly high for someone with this surgery.  Between 1300 and 1800 depending on the day.  My blood work has been normal and everything is progressing the way it should, so I'm not all that worried about it.  I think this is just new territory for them.

Pregnancy Ticker
  • @maybeitsmadeline I'm so sorry.  That has to be really hard.  I've been overweight most of my adult life so I know how hard it is when you work so hard to take the weight off only to now be told to put it back on.  Not every women needs to gain 60 pounds to ensure that the baby is gaining....in fact its easier to deliver and recover if you don't gain a ridiculous amount of weight.

If they are that worried about if the baby is growing, why couldn't they just do an ultrasound?
    ME: 34 | DH: 36
    Married: 6/2016
    TTC:6/2016
    BFP: 11/22/2016 | EDD: 7/29/2017

• @chiquita928 I'm guessing they know I'll have a harder time gaining it because I had gastric sleeve surgery in October and without realizing it got pregnant in October as well, so the amounts of food I'm able to take in at one time is significantly less than the average pregnant woman.  I know there's some concern on how many nutrients I'm absorbing, but I'm really at a loss for how to put weight back on.  I'm constantly eating small meals and snacks and my calorie intake is fairly high for someone with this surgery.  Between 1300 and 1800 depending on the day.  My blood work has been normal and everything is progressing the way it should, so I'm not all that worried about it.  I think this is just new territory for them.
    Ohh that make way more sense.  Sorry if I missed that in another post.
  • @maybeitsmadeline have you been to a nutrionist? Maybe that would help but I wouldn't know... maybe juicing could help with the nutrient aspect without you gaining too much weight and baby getting what he/she needs. Just take care of yourself! :)
  • @SquirttheTurtle Girl, it means so much to me that you know exactly how I'm feeling. This baby was 100% wanted and the end goal for sure, but the putting on of weight is very scary. I know in my mind that it's baby weight and healthy, but after losing so much and planning to lose more before conceiving it's a mental game. 

As far as ultrasounds go, they've done three so far and are more concerned with size as I get farther along. I think that's why they want the weight gain in the coming weeks.

@chiquita928 No worries! I don't like to throw it out there a whole lot because from the outside it looks like I was completely irresponsible getting pregnant so soon after surgery, but I ovulated late and we were blessed with our LO. As I said above, this was end game and I'm extremely happy and just want the best for my baby. We spent 6 months trying before giving up because I wasn't ovulating and I thought I had fertility issues. That hurt A LOT. I never imagined weight to be a factor. Once I started losing weight I didn't realize my fertility would bounce back. I really believed I couldn't get pregnant, so when I finally took a test in December I cried my eyes out. It was the biggest blessing for DH and me. 

@BusyZee It probably wouldn't hurt to see a nutritionist if I can get my weight up by their deadline. I know I'll need some outside help for sure.

Thanks so much ladies! Your input means the world to me!

Pregnancy Ticker