Baby Names

DH and I can't agree on name spelling

Hi all!
Before we even started TTC, we decided that if we ever had a girl, we'd name her after Rocky Balboa's wife in the Rocky series. Now, I'm not the one who's obsessed with those movies, but Adrienne is a beautiful name, so I quickly agreed.

Come to find out, now that we know we're having a girl, the wife's spelling is "Adrian." That's the masculine version, or, according to Google, gender neutral at best. 

DH is insisting on "Adrian" or not using the name at all!

I know masculine names are commonly accepted as female names. It's not like the pronunciation is different. I'm not bothered if a school teacher or interviewer is surprised if they were expecting to see a male and see a female instead. 

Soliciting stranger's opinions- would you find it weird or judge somebody for using a boy version of a name for a girl?

Thanks! 

BabyFruit Ticker

Re: DH and I can't agree on name spelling

• I would also stick with Adrienne. The only Adrians I have ever known are men. I agree that if gets to pick the character he should compromise on the spelling. 
  • Loading the player...
  • I'd rather name my child something else than give her a boy's name. Adrienne is very pretty; I'd stick to my guns on this one. He already got you to name her after a Rocky character.. he should count his lucky stars to have such an accommodating wife.
    This exactly. 

• @bbiutmcph I never knew that! 

Please name her Adrienne or Adrianna.  Adrian is for boys.
    BabyFruit Ticker
    DD #1 born 4/1/2012
    My Married Bio 

• No to Adrian. 
    Daisypath Anniversary tickers
    TTC since September 2012
  • Noted the responses so far, thanks! I'll let it sit for a bit (6 months to go after all) and then be like... "but did you ever google the name? I don't know why writers in the 70's gave the character the wrong spelling but really, that spelling is the masculine version..."

BabyFruit Ticker
  • bbiutmcph said:
    Also her name was Adrianna nn Adrian 
    I fucking love this. Put this up there with people who "love" To Kill a Mockingbird who name their daughter Scout. 

Posers. *nerd snobbery"

Another vote for Adrienne or Adrianna. 
  • I agree, fight for the feminine spelling or offer another name, Adrian is my sons 1st middle name lol

• Adrianna is lovely. Adrian can always be a NN.
  • Adrianna is lovely. Adrian can always be a NN.
    Good point. I can ask! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I wouldn't judge it, but I would assume it's spelled Adrienne. I think she'll spend a lot of time correcting people/spelling it for people.
  • Hi!  An "Adrianne" here. I've posted this before but don't use it on a girl. The "yo, Adrian" jokes are not fun. I got them in grade school and I still get them now (in my mid 30's). My mom made a family name (Adrian) more feminine and I hate it. No one says it or spells it correctly.  
    Off BC since January 2012/TTC #1 since April 2012
    October 2013 IUI #1 - 5mg femara + Ovidrel = BFN
    November 2013 IUI #2 - 5mg femara + Gonal-F + Ovidrel + Crinone = 12/16/13 FIRST EVER BFP!!!  DD Blaire Noelle 8/26/14
    Surprise!  2 under 2 is happening!  Due 12/5/15 (updated)

• I'd stick with Adrienne as well. Very pretty!
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Soliciting stranger's opinions- would you find it weird or judge somebody for using a boy version of a name for a girl?
    Yes. 
    DD: Ophelia 5/18/15
  • I would also go with Adrienne, but I like Adrianna even more. And if that's really the character's name, then you have a winning argument! 

Lilypie First Birthday tickers Lilypie Third Birthday tickers 
    VOTE on my Name List
  • Also, YOU may not care if a teacher or job interviewer is expecting a male, but your daughter might.

Stick with Adrienne or Adrianna.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • According to wikipedia, the name was indeed Adrianna. Huh! Who knew! I'll ask DH.  If we used that as formal as Adrian as a nickname (I was thinking Addy or Addie anyway) then we're all happy. 

Choosing names is so hard. Even a slight change in pronunciation or spelling can remind you of someone you don't like. (Teachers probably have it the worst with all their students, haha.) I don't know if he'll go for Adrianna but I'll check!

Thanks all! 

BabyFruit Ticker
  • I do not think 'Adrian' is appropriate for a girl.