Baby Names

Opinions for a baby girl? So close (and yet so far!)

We're nearing the finish line, and have to make a decision soon! But before we started making our lists several months ago, never talked about nicknames... oops. I am not a fan of using nicknames, but DH would like to call her exclusively by a short name (if one exists) instead of her full name. Which is fine, I suppose, but our last name starts with "B" so B nicknames are much less appealing to me. Our top names at the moment, and my quick thoughts on the names/nicknames:

Arabelle - Belle (I think the full name is absolutely beautiful, but I'm not a fan of nn given the double B name)
Arabella - Bella (same as above)
Aveline - no nn (is this too unique? we both love it but I'm afraid she'll hate it if it's too "weird" - the meaning is "wished for" which is the most meaningful for us)
Evelyn - Evie (we both really just like the name and I actually like the nn a lot, but neither of us like Lyn)
Sophia - no nn (I know this is waaaay popular, but it was an early favorite for both of us that has stayed a top contender until the end)

What are your thoughts on these names generally? Also, what do you think about Bella or Belle B__(insert last name) - does it sound too rhymey if she chooses to go by her nickname? Grace is one of the highest contenders for middle name, if that helps.
Pregnancy Ticker

Re: Opinions for a baby girl? So close (and yet so far!)

• I love Bella as a nn so I would go with Arabella or Sophia. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• I like Sophia out of your choices. Evelyn isn't my style but it's a nice name. Around me, Belle/Bella/Ella/Elle has been over done so I don't really care for that nn. But if you like the nn, I like Arabella out of your choices.
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • Vote for Evelyn nn Evie, or Aveline, which would be my top pick of your list. Would you pronounce it Aav-a-line or Aav-a-leen? NN could be pronounced like Lina/Leena/Leeny or even Avy (sounds like Abby with a "v").
  • I like Arabelle nn Belle best. The double bs don't bother me at all. I think Evie and Sophie are overdone.
  • I like Aveline best! I think it's pretty and is a name you don't hear often. Names with Belle/Bella seem to be everywhere right now so they're not as appealing to me. My second choice for your is Evelyn.
  • I LOVE Aveline! 

I actually think it has a NN...Ava. I know there isn't a second "A" in "Aveline" but I wouldn't even think about throwing side eye at Aveline NN Ava. 

I'm not a fan of Bella as a name or NN, and I agree with PP...names with "Bell/Bella" are very popular right now. 

I also like Evelyn, but I think Aveline is the winner by a mile.
  • How would you pronounce Aveline? I don't dislike it, I'm just not sure how you'd pronounce it.  

Evelyn, with our without a nickname, and Sophia are my top two choices from your list. 

• @amandarene112 and @SKZW - we would pronounce it Aav-a-leen.
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Sophia is popular for a reason...it is gorgeous
  • Aveline sounds like your fave.  Despite the pronunciation question, I like it. 
  • The whole Belle/Bella thing has been so overdone...I would avoid either Arabelle or Arabella for this reason. Prefer Evelyn to Aveline just because people will constantly mispronounce her name (teachers, friends parents, etc-- just see how many people asked above how to pronounce it). Sophie is much more fashionable now than Sophia, and ultimately, I would go with that.