Miscarriage/Pregnancy Loss

Confused after ER visit

I'm feeling confused after a visit to the ER today. Yesterday my OB said I faced a threatened miscarriage. And this afternoon I went to the ER this afternoon due to bleeding and severe cramping that felt like contractions (both in pain and timing).

The ER did blood work and an ultrasound. HCG level was 7000, there was a gestational sac but no fetal pole and I was measuring about 5 weeks.

The dr said they can't say with certainty if it's miscarriage or early pregnancy bleeding and I need to get more blood work Monday. I'm not sure why the dr wouldn't conclude it was miscarriage due the consistent and progressive bleeding I've had since yesterday. He too said he didn't want to give my hopes up but it was still too soon to tell and that it was a 50/50 chance. Unfortunately I'm still thinking my pregnancy is no longer viable. Has anyone experienced anything similar either with early heavy pregnancy bleeding that stayed a viable pregnancy or miscarriage with similar symptoms. Thank you for listening. 

Re: Confused after ER visit

• I have had both sides of this. 
    Tw LC
    My first pregnancy I had bleeding/spotting pretty much consistently up until the end of 1st trimester and then it suddenly stopped. I was constantly waiting for the "shoe to drop". I delivered full term. 
    With my second that resulted in a m/c, I started bleeding/ spotting at 6.4 and ended up miscarrying close to 8 weeks. I first didn't put much stock into it because of my first but did call my ob where they got me in for an ultrasound and I was measuring further behind than I should have been, over a week. I didn't cramp with it until I started the miscarriage process. 
    Are your ultrasound measurements close to what you should be? That's usually the first sign. 

• Thank you for answering. And, I'm so sorry to hear of your m/c. The 5 weeks measurement is about where I should be.
  • Loading the player...
  • @thefabfive I had some bleeding early on with no pain or cramping and when I went to the ob I was measuring 10 days behind what I should have been. They saw an empty gestational sac, ordered labs and said to come back in a week to see if there was any change.

My quant increased and we saw the baby in there one week later with a strong heartbeat. Unfortunately, even though everything looked good at that point, it did end in MC 3 weeks later.

If you're only about 5 weeks, it may just be too early to see anything in there. I'm rooting for you!
  • @thefabfive I had an US due to bleeding and doc said everything looked okay. I knew it wasn't since measurement was almost two weeks behind. Later that night (Thursday) I did have contractions and heavy bleeding, but *TW* didn't pass the sac until that Sunday.*/TW* Bleeding had gotten lighter because most of my lining was already gone. Sorry you are going through this.
    It's funny how it's the little things in life that mean the most...not where you live, or what you drive, or the price tag on your clothes... There's no dollar sign on a piece of mind, this I've come to know! *ZBB*

Me: 36 DH 35 
    TTC  9/2016     BFP 12/9/16    EDD 8/21/17    NMC 1/8/16 at 7w6d
    TTC  2/2017  BFP 3/6/17   EDD 11/17/17   DS born 11/25/17 via ECS
    TTC 12/2018   BFP 6/2/19   EDD 2/12/20  NMC / BO at 7 weeks, low progesterone
    TTC 7/2019   BFP 8/21/19 EDD 4/22/20 CP at 5 weeks
    TTC 8/19    IUI #1 w/ Clomid + Ovidrel + progesterone  BFN, IUI 2 and 3 w/ Letrozole + Ovidrel + progesterone,
    IUI 4 Follistim + Ovidrel + progesterone BFP 1/9/20 EDD 9/18/20

AMA, ITP in pregnancy, vWD type II - low Factor VIII, unexplained RPL and secondary infertility
  • I don't have any experience with bleeding and having it all be ok, but it's definitely a possibility that all is well with your little bean. If you're 5 weeks there typically isn't much to see except the gestational sac. Sorry that you're having to go through this, but I am truly hoping that you get positive news Monday!
    Me 36 DH 38
    Married 1/22/10
    BFP #1 3/11 m/c 7w 3d blighted ovum
    BFP #2 5/11 DD born 1/12
    BFP #3 3/16 Chemical Pregnancy
    BFP #4 12/16 m/c 7w blighted ovum