1st Trimester

1st baby was preterm will 2nd baby be ?

Hello ! 

So 8 months ago I had my first child and he was born at 33 weeks I'm not sure why but my water broke around 1am anyway the other day I heard someone say if your first child is early so will all your following kids. Is this true ? I just found out I'm pregnant again and I'm worried this one will be early too. Stephen only spent 11 days in the NICU but I'd prefer no days 

Re: 1st baby was preterm will 2nd baby be ?

• Do you happen to know why your son was premature?  If you were induced for a medical reason such as preeclampsia then yes, you could be likely to have the same issue in your subsequent pregnancies.  If you had a "normal" pregnancy and you spontaneously went into early labor then there's a chance it will happen again too but that's not for sure.   My son was spontaneously born at 36 weeks after a very "normal" pregnancy... I'm currently 13 weeks with #2 and my doctor said there's no way to know for sure if this one will be preterm or not.
    the best thing to remember is that this time you know you are at risk, so you can take extra precautions.   Good luck!
  • Well my pregnancy was rough symptom wise but normal and yes my water just randomly broke I guess I'll just have to watch this time around
  • Loading the player...
  • Yep that's exactly what happened with me.  My water broke, and I had my son 7 hours later.  Fingers crossed for both of us that our babies cook longer this time around!
  • Have you talked to your OB?  While it doesn't mean the next baby will be premature, it does increase the odds.  There are interventions that they can do early on now though.

~~~~~~~~~Siggy Warning~~~~~~~~

Me~28 DH~27 

6-12-2010  Miscarriage. 
    3-16-2012 D&C/Miscarriage.
     Blocked Left Tube. 
    Diminished Ovarian Reserve   
    MFI - Sperm Morphology 2%.  
    MTHFR 
     Abnormal Antiphospholipid Antibodies
    April 2013 ~  1st IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    May 2013  ~ 2nd IUI attempt -100 mg Clomid- Canceled
    June 2013 ~ 3rd IUI attempt - 100 mg Clomid+ Trigger+ Progesterone~BFN
     IVF/ICSI #1 May 2014 ~ Freeze All ~ Due to OHSS
     5/1/2014 ~ 22 retrieved, 12 fertilized, 3 frozen
    5/28/2014 ~ FET#1 ~ Transferred 2 Hatching Blasts
      6/1/2014~ **BFP**
    6/9/2014 Beta #1 ~ 1022
    6/12/2014 Beta #2 ~ 3099
    6/16/2014 Beta #3 ~ >5000
    6/19/2014 First U/S ~ TWINS!!!  
    1/7/2015 Twins born @ 34 weeks

image image Image and video hosting by TinyPic

• My water broke with my first at 36+6 and my second I was induced at 40+2. 
    DD1: 2/28/12
    DD2: 9/12/13
    Baby #3: Due January 2018

• My son came at 36 weeks, water broke but labor never started so was induced. My ob this time is having me take progesterone injections from 18 weeks-36 weeks to decrease the chances of preterm labor again, because yes he said it's possible due to my hx. 
  • I pprom'd in 5/13 at 22 wks, I pprom'd again at 24w5d with my twin girls 6/15 only one survived n spent 7 mos in the NICU. She just got off oxygen in Nov n is still currently being tube fed. I had to take clomid n track my every fertility move to get preg. I found out last week I'm preg at 41 by my new bf just out of the blue, after divorcing my cheating husband. I'm really in shock n complete disbelief, but I have to believe this is for a reason n this pregnancy can n will be different. At my first ob appt I'm going to be asking for antibiotics, progesterone shots asap and a cerclage if possible. I'm so much more prepared, unfortunately, and I plan to ask every n any question I can this time.
  • My first was 4 weeks early. I went into premature labor at 20 weeks and I was on bed rest the entire time. My second was a week late and my third was born on his due date. So, in my experience, no, just because your first was early doesn't mean your second will. 
  • My DD was born at 36 weeks when my water broke unexpectedly. This time, I'm on projesterone injections from 16-36 weeks, to help prevent it from happening again.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • My first was born at 34 weeks due to unexplained prom. Second one came at 39w3d, but only because I was induced due to pre-e.

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Natural MC - 4/18/10 (9 weeks)
    DS was born six weeks early on December 2010!
    Natural MC - 11/21/11 (7 weeks)
    DS born full term on October 2012!
  • My first was 37 weeks my second was 39.4 weeks but was given a shot with both pregnancies at 33 weeks for preterm labor. So I guess it depends on the person