August 2017 Moms
Options

Traveling

This is more directed at STMs+, but feel free to respond if you have any ideas.

DH and I were going to go on a cruise with his family in June. Obviously that is out of the question now. I told him to still go but he really doesn't want to if I'm not. So I want to plan a little getaway that we can take around the same time.

We will have our DD with us (she will turn 1 in May). And I'm looking for something relaxing more than anything but something that a toddler would enjoy also.

Anyone have any suggestions or places they've been? Somewhere in the US only please.
Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19

Re: Traveling

• Options
    I'd suggest finding a great AirBnB place that is near a great park or a beach. Not sure on your location, but I'm in California. We took a trip to Santa Barabara and stayed at this adorable cottage there just outside the city limits. It was close to this gorgeous park (Alice Keck Memorial Park) with a huge playground, pond, and butterfly garden. Pond had lots of ducks and turtles too. Might be fun for a toddler.

It also depends on your vacation preferences. DH and I prefer quiet and easygoing vacations with very little to-do scheduling involved.
    BabyFetus Ticker
  • Options
    I meant to put that I'm in Texas. We aren't big beach people. We honeymooned in Colorado and loved that. We also don't want to have a lot on a schedule when we travel. Thanks for the input!
    Pregnancy Ticker

5.5.16 | 8.14.17 | 1.30.19
  • Loading the player...
  • Options
    We are thinking about taking a trip in June also. We live in AL and are trying to stay relative close. I'd like to go to Charleston or Hilton Head for a few days. I think Maine or Cape Cod area would be nice but that's a little farther than I'd want to travel at that point. 
    Pregnancy Ticker Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Options
    I was going to suggest Florida gulf coast beaches but since you're not a beach family...

What about a cabin in the mountains? Like the ozarks or gatlinburg. If you want to stay closer maybe a resort in Texas hill country?
    Babysizer Cravings Pregnancy Tracker
  • Options
    we are looking at doing something in April...Being in Chicago I want sun and relaxation. I'm pretty sure we're close to settling on Arizona. My office doesn't know yet and they are looking at taking a team trip in June to CA. I'm a bit nervous it will be later than I can travel and could impact my team relationships as the only person not there, but I'm hoping it ends up early enough for me. 
    TW: 
    1 infant loss
    8/17: Our daughter was born
    8/18: Our daughter kicked open heart surgery ass
    2/19: We lost our son to Prader-Willi/Paradoxical Vocal Cord/ Noonans at 6wks old 
    4/26/2020: EDD for baby #3!!!
  • Options
    DH and I are going to Bermuda in March/April and Cape May, NJ in June. I want all the beach I can get before the baby is here!
  • Options
    We haven't planned a trip for this year. 
    But first baby we took a relaxing weekend in a nice hotel just an hour away in Fort Lauderdale. No crazy travel time. but away from home. We are not huge beach people but we will take a little bit and I love the pool. 
    We took our daughter on a similar trip to Ormond beach near Daytona when she was a year so I could imagine us doing it this summer. I just sat in a chair and my daughter had a blast in the sand.

• Options
    @LivLew  Love Cape May!  We would go there this year but we just went last summer so I'm not sure if thats something we'd want to do again.  I'd like to go to Cape Cod or Ocean City to change it up a bit.  If we go anywhere it will probably be in May.  But with twins and needing to buy two of everything, money is tight.
    Me:34 DH:39
    Me: A-Okay!
    DH: 0-1% morphology
    Married: 5/2008  <3
    TTC: 5/2009 
    **TW--BFP**
    2013: IUI x1 Failed
    10/2016: First IVF Cycle! YAY!
    10/31 - Fresh Transfer.
    11/10- BFN.  Starting cycle for FETx2
    12/16 - U/S - Twins! 

Lilypie Pregnancy tickers
  • Options
    another travel question for STM's : 
    our close friends wedding will be in Mexico (a 4 hr flight away) at which time the baby would be 5 months old... do any of you have experience traveling on an international flight with a baby that young? think this would be doable or a bad idea?
    obviously will be asking doctors at the appropriate time, but thought i'd ask you ladies in case you have warnings or encouragement! 
  • Options
    @LivLew just wondering, are there any Zika concerns with traveling to Bermuda?
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    @em1017 Not a STM, but I have several friends with really well travelled babies at that age. It's definitely doable if you pack compactly. I did hear that TSA should be loosening rules on breast milk, which is good news!
  • Options
    @pbandjyummies None! That's the reason we picked it! The only cases were from travelers (like in most of the US). There are no warnings from CDC and there's an article about being a great Zika-free destination. Probably because it's so far north. 
  • Options
    @LivLew good to know! enjoy your travels, all sounds fun :smile:
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Pregnancy Ticker
  • Options
    NxyNxy member
    @em1017 I flew from Guam to Michigan with my 6 month old. Guam to Japan is 4.5 hours and Japan to Michigan was 14 so with layovers we were traveling for 26 hours.. Thankfully, at that age most babies tend to get lulled to sleep by the flight. It's definitely doable. 
    I packed 2 extra outfits for DD and one for me and enough diapers to last like 3 full days lol. She was breastfed so that was easy. The airline we flew was *amazing*. They let me board with first class and the flight attendants helped us get situated. They waited for everyone to board and offered the gentleman next to me a economy plus seat so we had the Isle to ourselves. Easiest flight I've had with her hands down.
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • Options
    @lyse01 -- thanks! we've had friends travel with their babies too but it always seemed like they were 6+ months and usually not a flight away. so that's super comforting to know your friends have!!

@Nxy -- that's awesome & totally gives me hope!! haha :). since we'd have to book the trip in advance & before the due date, we want to just go for it. i feel like we'll 100% want to take baby with us (or... i dunno... are new parents ready to have their first big weekend away by 5 months?! haha i'm sure some do!) but i want to feel confident that traveling would be all good and then once we are there that i feel aware of where to go if god forbid something happened and we needed emergency care. that's my fear. but i suppose that's some research i need to do...  happy we will at least be traveling with a lot of medical professionals.  thanks for sharing your experience!! 
  • Options
    @Nxy --  btw, 26 hrs travel time with a 6 month old... you're a champ!!