1st Trimester

Trying & weddings *warning, loss

mel2k10mel2k10 member
edited January 2017 in 1st Trimester
Has anyone had to change their bridesmaid dress size (after ordering it) bc ya got preggers? 

Hubby and I recently had a miscarriage (Dec 23rd, nice xmas gift). We're waiting a few months before trying again but my baby sister is getting married this October. The line of dresses she picked isn't being discontinued, however the color she picked is changing a little... idk why, seems stupid. So, I have to order the dress before March! I'm going to my local dress shop but wanted to get feedback from you ladies. If hubby & I get preggers, what do I do? How many sizes up would I have to order? 

Thx. ☺
*TW
Me: 33 DH: 34
Married 6.5 years
mc: 12.23.2016 (8 wks)
ttc: in a few months

Best Answer

Re: Trying & weddings *warning, loss

• It's hard to tell since every woman will be a different size at all stages. I would bring it up with the dress shop. I'm sure they are familiar with pregnant bridesmaids and will be able to offer advice. 
    Ditto. Depending on the cut of the dress they may have you order up a size or two, and then you can tailor it when you're closer to the wedding to fit you (whether your pregnant or not, but here's to hoping you are!).
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • Loading the player...
  • @mel2k10 I appreciate your apology over in TTGP, and the warning you've added to this post.

As far as an "answer" to your question, like PPs have said, SO much will depend on how you carry, how far along you'd potentially be, and the cut/material of the dress. That being said, here is my personal experience:

I am nearly 13 weeks pregnant, and am in a wedding in early May (I'll be 28 weeks then). I let the shop know this during my fitting, and they suggested ordering up two sizes because that's the limit that can typically be altered without additional fabrics, etc. So they measured me at a 4 now, but I ordered an 8 for the wedding. They even had a little "bump pillow" that I was able to use to simulate where I'd be and how the dress would fit.

Again, this will be totally different depending on your circumstances (and if you are even pregnant at that time). I would suggest waiting until the last possible minute, then asking the dress shop for their opinions. I would also talk to your sister and see if she would be alright with a last minute switch just in case you were to get KU and have the dress she picked not fit.
    Me: 30 DH: 30
    Dating: 12/21/2001
    Married: 09/08/2012
    TTC: 09/2016
    BFP: 11/16/2016 EDD: 07/27/2017
    Baby Fish born: 08/01/2017

• mel2k10 said:
    Has anyone had to change their bridesmaid dress size (after ordering it) bc ya got preggers? 

Hubby and I recently had a miscarriage (Dec 23rd, nice xmas gift). We're waiting a few months before trying again but my baby sister is getting married this October. The line of dresses she picked isn't being discontinued, however the color she picked is changing a little... idk why, seems stupid. So, I have to order the dress before March! I'm going to my local dress shop but wanted to get feedback from you ladies. If hubby & I get preggers, what do I do? How many sizes up would I have to order? 

Thx. ☺
    Like PP said, I would bring it up with those who work at the dress shop. They have a lot of experience with situations like this. I did have a friend in a similar situation and she got her dress in a bigger size since it was able to be altered down if needed.
    Me:28 | DH: 28
    Married: 07-2014
    TTC #1: Since November 2015
    Restarted TTC "count" Oct. 2016
         due to previous issues.
    ***TW***
    BFP: 11/4/2016
    *TW*
     BabyFruit Ticker

• SuperKristy85SuperKristy85 member
    edited February 2017
    When I got married 3 of my bridesmaids were pregnant when we were dress shopping and the girls at the dress shop helped them pick sizes accordingly.... 2 of the 3 did not fit come wedding time after having their babies (both too small) but we were able to find a seamstress that could work with them enough to fit. 
    Lilypie Pregnancy tickers