March 2017 Moms

A Festival of Week Long Bitchings

Re: A Festival of Week Long Bitchings

• @thisisallyson Yes you can absolutely use your HSA! Also, not sure if this will help you or not but I would suggest delivering at the hospital that is in network (for obvious financial reasons) and IF your baby needs to be transferred to the other hospital for NICU you would absolutely be able to fight your insurance to cover the charges as in-network! If there is not an in-network facility that offers the services that you need within "X" number of miles your insurance should be required to cover the services at the out-of-network facility as if they were in-network. At least that has been my experience! 

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• I'm so mad at the moving company that I could scream. We were originally told that it would take us 3 days to move: 1 day to pack, 1 day to drive everything to Portland, and the last day to unpack. We thought that was perfectly doable and we would just stay in a hotel for a couple days and then get all moved in. Well the lady from the company who's doing all of the correspondence sends us an email saying that it'll now take 2 days to pack our stuff and then they'll deliver everything and unpack it sometime between Feb 25-March 1. W.T.F?! We're moving 3 hours away. This is not a cross country move! What the hell happened to 3 days?? There's going to be 3 people from the company who packs everything and that'll really take 2 whole days? They're talking about making this a week long endeavor and that's completely unacceptable. My husband went back and forth with them all day yesterday and we're not going down without a fight. They need to stick to the 3 day time frame that we were originally given. He even told them that we're having a baby and we absolutely cannot wait until March 1st. This is bullshit!
  • Loading the player...
  • @kiyamurph ouch! hope you can get the moving settled 
  • Why do manufacturers insist on including bumpers with crib bedding sets if they aren't safe?! We finally got LO's crib assembled and washed all of the liners, sheets, bumpers, and crib skirt only for me to read that the AAP is strongly against them. I know they say baby should always sleep alone but I just assumed that meant without a blanket or stuffed animals. It never occurred to me that crib bumpers would be a no go. Now since I've opened, washed, and assembled everything I can't return it. I know this is a total first world problem and my fault as I should have done more research ahead of time, but damn I'm disappointed and frustrated./end rant

Pregnancy Ticker

• Why do manufacturers insist on including bumpers with crib bedding sets if they aren't safe?! We finally got LO's crib assembled and washed all of the liners, sheets, bumpers, and crib skirt only for me to read that the AAP is strongly against them. I know they say baby should always sleep alone but I just assumed that meant without a blanket or stuffed animals. It never occurred to me that crib bumpers would be a no go. Now since I've opened, washed, and assembled everything I can't return it. I know this is a total first world problem and my fault as I should have done more research ahead of time, but damn I'm disappointed and frustrated./end rant
    I completely agree, why do they keep including them in the bedding sets?! Which is why I ordered separate pieces from the collection rather than a bedding set. We got a mesh breathable bumper that worked well with DD, prevented legs and arms from getting caught in between the crib rails when she was more mobile. 
    Baby Birthday Ticker Ticker
  • @EALasagna45 We just left ours off until kiddo was a little older and had good head control. I mostly put it on so his pacifiers would stop falling on the floor!
  • @CanadianintheSouth I so wish I had done that now and just purchased everything separately! Do you by chance remember where you ordered your mesh bumpers from?

@kiyamurph That's a good point- I'll just hang onto them for a later date. That's a phenomenal reason to use them too lol 

Also question for either one of you or whoever else cares to chime in, when IS the appropriate/safe time to use bumpers?

Pregnancy Ticker

• @EALasagna45 I don't remember but it would have been either amazon or target. Good advice above regarding when to use them!
  • @EALasagna45 BRU has the mesh ones too.

I wish the sets would come with crib rail covers instead!   I can't believe PB Kids doesn't sell coordinating rail covers!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• @MrsBinPA You read my mind!  I actually used the bumpers to fold over the rails as a teething cover so they would stop gnawing the paint off when they started standing!  It was pretty easy to fold them in half and tie them tightly around the rails.
  • @cbeanz I wasn't sure if it would work or not!  We ended up going with another manufacturer so we could order a rail cover and all the stuff as seperates.

The rail cover is the only piece I haven't ordered yet!  I need one more 20% for BBB!
    ****TW****

Me: 39 DH: 40
    Married: 12/6/2014

BFP#1: 1/20/15      MC: 2/14/15
    BFP#2: 10/28/15    MC: 11/24/15
    BFP#3:  3/20/16     MC: 4/26/16
    BFP#4:  7/15/16     DD: 3/18/17
    BFP#5:  5/1/18     EDD: 1/12/19
    Babysizer Geeky Pregnancy Tracker

• Today's B--my husband requested to work from home today, telling his boss it was specifically to help me out ((because I am 8months pregnant with a miserable toddler and have a cold myself)) he slept in, didn't want to come out of his office space to take a lunch break, and after already working 30min over his shift--has said it'll probably be closer to 2hrs over.

I appreciate his attempt, but id rather have him gone and know I won't be getting help  instead of having the expectation of getting some to no avail today. Now I'm prolly gonna have to do bedtime by myself too. Joy. 
  • @kjd291 thats obnoxious. i'd rather DH be at work too! it sucks to have another adult dangled in front of you that is in no way going to be helpful. i feel for ya
  • Awesome, thank you all so much for the advice and tips!  It's super helpful.

Pregnancy Ticker

I completely agree, why do they keep including them in the bedding sets?! Which is why I ordered separate pieces from the collection rather than a bedding set. We got a mesh breathable bumper that worked well with DD, prevented legs and arms from getting caught in between the crib rails when she was more mobile. 
    I'll start out by saying I never used bumpers. But I wonder if those recommendations are partially because of user error? I mean, I see pictures of people's cribs all the time and the bumpers are all saggy and not pushed down below the sides of the mattress. :/ 

I don't actually know this for a fact, I'd be happy if someone knew more and could correct me. I just get suspicious of sleep recommendations because they get so heated and dogmatic (case in point: bedsharing).  
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @kjd291 Agreed with pp, super obnoxious of him!
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • **super long***
    Feeling pretty sick right now....we are on our fifth day with no power living at my inlaws house while waiting for it to be fixed, which could be as late as Monday.. FIL has decided we have to leave tomorrow but can't be without power so he wants to give us their old generator to ensure we never have to repeat the experience of staying at their house in a time of power loss. The catch is, he wants us to pay him 1300 dollars for it when our tax return comes in, which could be as little as 1500 this year. My husband owes back child support, owes his uncle money for helping us move up here (also stupid) and owes his dad several hundred already for the title and registration on a motorcycle that FIL gave my husband and that my husband is now selling because it doesn't run, and for his dads own Netflix account that we took over but is still in his name and they use constantly but are making us pay for it. We also have a baby coming who will need diapers and such, bills paid, title transfer for my car, new driver licenses for us, money for my husband to pick up his kids for spring break....the list is literally endless of all the stuff we need that tax money for. But FIL is bringing the generator over tomorrow, installing it, and expecting the payment come tax time. If we don't have enough to pay him at that time, we have to "figure it out" and he won't accept a payment plan at all. We have refused, pointed out all logic, but he won't acknowledge it. He is totally obsessed with making sure we never have to come to his house for help again and wants us to pay money we don't have for his own peace of mind in knowing he never has to share his house and his stupid dog and his WiFi and food with his son and freaking grandchildren ever again. We have tried every angle to refuse but both inlaws are emotionally abusing, manipulating, guilting, and throwing fits of rage all day to get us to agree. They won't listen to any reason and just keep saying "don't you want to take care of your family?" yes, yes we do, by paying our bills and providing for our newborn, not by paying you all our money for a generator we didn't ask for. Im just crying and i feel like I have been horribly bullied and that my new baby will go without, my husband will go to jail over the child support, and we will not get to see his sons for spring break because of this 60 year old man child who cant handle sharing his home with us. He literally can't function with us here and is making these wild demands just so he can live knowing this experience won't happen again. Had to vent. Being pregnant makes it so hard to keep calm and hope the tax return comes out bigger than we expect. I feel just horrible all over about it. We have said no so many times but neither in law will listen at all...its like we've been totally steamrolled. End. Freaking. Rant. 
  • Ok your rant is way more justified than mine @silverbulletband! What a crappy situation to be in, no way they can make you pay for something you don't want. 
  • @CanadianintheSouth

Haha your situation is pretty stinky too! Having an ignorant husband sucks. Mine is the same way but probably worse, total blind trump supporter, planned parenthood hater, uneducated about women. Us girls gotta stick together! I hope you march like hell on Saturday, for yourself, our daughters, sisters mothers and future grandchildren! Girls run the world and their treatment affects everyone, men included. They just don't see it! 
  • @silverbulletband My jaw was literally on my chest reading your rant! How infuriating! I'm so sorry you are in that situation! Would staying in a hotel be a less expensive option for you until you can get your power back? I just can't believe how ridiculous your FIL is being! 5 days is not even that long to stay with family!!!

Me: 26 Hubs: 28

Married: 6/6/15 <3

Baby Girl: 3/22/2017

• @CanadianintheSouth

Haha your situation is pretty stinky too! Having an ignorant husband sucks. Mine is the same way but probably worse, total blind trump supporter, planned parenthood hater, uneducated about women. Us girls gotta stick together! I hope you march like hell on Saturday, for yourself, our daughters, sisters mothers and future grandchildren! Girls run the world and their treatment affects everyone, men included. They just don't see it! 
    Oh you bet, I'm bringing my daughter with me too!
    We went to a primarily engineering university where it was less than 25% female... you think he would have realized a little bit about the gender gap at that point. I'm already feeling better, and today while he is at work I'm going to send him lots of information regarding this march to enlighten him  :D
  • @silverbulletband oh my gosh! I'm sorry that's all on your plate right now. Maybe I missed it in your story--why are you without power? I'd lock the house up so he has no way of getting it in if he's really not going to listen to your outright "no"
  • kjd291 said:
    @silverbulletband oh my gosh! I'm sorry that's all on your plate right now. Maybe I missed it in your story--why are you without power? I'd lock the house up so he has no way of getting it in if he's really not going to listen to your outright "no"
    Or if he does it without your permission just unhook it and drive it back. Ad nauseam. 
    BabyFruit Ticker
  • @silverbulletband how infuriating. i have no words its just mind boggling to me.
  • Thanks for the love guys! We lost power from a huge ice storm last week- over 8000 outages not including ours! We all slept on it and were able to come to the agreement that the generator and FIL needing to know he doesn't have to support us is not as important as the other stuff so we are off the hook. I just couldn't comprehend it last night. We still have to leave today even if we have to sit under a bridge so we may get a hotel just for the next day or so until its on. Tough morning for sure! Family drama is extremely stressful

@CanadianintheSouth you go girl!!! Im so rooting for you and your daughter! 
  • @silverbulletband I'm so sorry! Your in-laws are the ones that always insist on bringing their misbehaving dog to your house too, right? That is just awful and I'm sorry you're dealing with that. 

@CanadianintheSouth Good for you sticking to your guns and sleeping in the guest room. 

My rant starts with a rave. I was granted the ability to work from home 100% of the time (yay!) because of some mild complications in this pregnancy (SPD, basically horrible pelvic pain because my pelvis is separating in prep for delivery too soon). My husband is currently out of work, and is home 24-7 as well. Even when he was working, he's always worked from home because he's disabled. He has his own office, I work in the living room.

Anyway, he has a friend that comes over and gives him massages 2-3 times a week. It helps with the stiff muscles that he gets because he has Cerebral Palsy. I refuse to be here when the friend is here because he's racist, homophobic, Obama birth certificate denier (I'm not going to even go into some of the vile things I heard him say about Obama...), non-Christian hater. Basically, he's the kind of person that believes that people who are different than him are no good, and as such they shouldn't be allowed to have rights. The confusing part? He loves my husband as if he were his own son, and treats him like a king. I refuse to have racist/bigoted people like that in my life, and I don't want them in my children's lives. My husband, however, says that I NEED TO BE MORE TOLERANT OF HIS RACIST FRIEND. We got into a huge fight last night, and I started packing my things to stay at my mom's but she didn't answer her phone... so I just ignored him for the majority of the night instead.

I can appreciate that he can see past his friend's awful opinions, and that he isn't swayed by his terrible world views, but I can't in good conscience allow small children to be around people like that! Racism is taught/learned and I don't want my kids learning it from people we allow in the house. In my mind, it would be just as bad as them learning it from me. 

Additionally, I was upset that he is out of work, but having massages 2-3x a week... and I'm PREGNANT WITH TWINS, working, and taking care of all the chores around the house with zero thanks and zero massages.

Please tell me that I'm not crazy, he had me believing that I'm being unreasonable here. 
  • @direwolfmini no advice on the messed up friendship. BUT wanted to say a huge YAY on working from home full time!! That's awesome!!
  • kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited January 2017
    @silverbulletband I find it to be incredibly ironic that your FIL actually says to you, "you don't want to take care of family?", but yet that's exactly what he wasn't doing either. I'm so glad that you all slept on it and decided to get a hotel instead, which very much would've been my suggestion. That's a bunch of crap that your FIL couldn't help you out of the goodness of his heart instead of helping with a stipulation of money being involved. That's so awful and it sucks that your husband had to grow up with a father like that. Inlaws can suck the big one sometimes! Fingers crossed that your power gets situation gets resolved soon. 
  • @direwolfmini Ugh! Your husband's friend is a dick. Simply put. He sounds like a toxic person and you have every right to not want him around your kids. Kids are like sponges and they don't need to hear the ignorance that spews from his mouth. And no, you're not being unreasonable. I also find it concerning that your husband thinks that you should just roll over and be tolerant of his dirt bag of a friend, but yet he's not tolerant to your very justified feelings. Does his friend do massages for free or something? If not and he's getting paid, is there any way to get another massage therapist for him and he can meet his friend outside of the home? Can insurance pay for massage therapy since he's disabled? It doesn't look like he's willing to give up that friendship for you, so maybe that could be a compromise. Hopefully he learns to understand about that whole happy wife, happy life thing.
  • @direwolfmini just a million hugs! You've been dealing with a lot, if you didn't live so far away, I'd try to do more! Maybe some quality one on one time with your DH to have discussions about everything and where you two are going as a couple and raising the kids. 
  • @CanadianintheSouth I found most of the guys in my engineering classes were still pretty ignorant about gender inequality. Good for you for going to your local march! The closest one to me is still an hour away, so that plus the marching just seems like too much for me right now. Planning on making some donations tomorrow instead. 
    Alex
    married to M since 6.13.09
    T - 3.3.14
    A - 2.24.17
  • Thanks for the support everyone! Good thing I'm not shy about telling my husband exactly how I feel  ;) Just need to make a sign now for DD to hold!
  • @kiyamurph Its a messed up relationship. When he was working he would give him a little bit of cash for the massages. Now, that my husband is not working and instead of giving him cash he'll occasionally order random small things for him on Amazon, we also have this guy and his wife on our cell phone family plan..... This was done against my knowledge. We also pay for his parents, who are out of work (so, we have a $300 phone bill and my husband isn't working... its something I try not to think about because it infuriates me...)

I suggested that he go and see a legitimate physical therapist, I would honestly rather pay $20 copay each time and be rid of this guy. I think we might explore that option. The issue is that he doesn't drive, so he would need someone to take him to PT, or would need to take and uber/cab ($$), or his dirtbag friend would drive him... which defeats the purpose of us getting away from him. 

Anyway, I guess I'm the most disappointed to find out that my husband might not have the same opinion on important matters. Given the political climate at the moment, I feel like we have to be the most vigilant to not get sucked into the hate in the world, and he doesn't see it because it doesn't effect him right now. 
  • kiyamurphkiyamurph member
    edited January 2017
    @direwolfmini I'm really sorry that your husband has that mindset. I feel like a lack of empathy is one of the many reasons why this country is so divided. I feel like too many people have a mindset of "it doesn't affect me so I don't care", and until something hits close to home, that's when they start caring. Also, the financial stuff that's going on sounds concerning. It sounds like this guy has intertwined himself into your lives against your better judgment. My husband and I went through a huge rough patch over finances a couple of years ago and I honestly wasn't so sure if we were going to make it. We went to counseling and realized that the finance issues were due to deeper issues that came to light and it helped to work through those things. Would it help for the two of you to speak to an unbiased third party? Obviously I have no idea what happens within your marriage, but any time a spouse is going behind the other's back to do something that will negatively impact the both of you, those are some red flags.  :/

• @kiyamurph I wouldn't be opposed to therapy, honestly with the MIL issues we have as well something is going to have to change or else way too much resentment is going to build up. I know adding babies to the mix is only going to complicate things further!

Honestly, I'm just glad to hear from outside sources that I'm not the crazy one in this situation.